Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Harrow posted:

Would you guys recommend that I do (areas after Road of Sacrifices spoilers) Cathedral of the Deep or Farron Keep first?

The former.
Reasoning: To get it out of the way, I found it a mediocre area with a meh boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Your Computer posted:

Is there any point to the cathedral rafters other than getting your poo poo rocked y/n?

Look for a place to drop down

Zaras
Mar 11, 2013

Okay.

Harrow posted:

Would you guys recommend that I do (areas after Road of Sacrifices spoilers) Cathedral of the Deep or Farron Keep first?

I'd probably say do the former first, doing the latter first apparently jumps some of the NPC "quest" chains way forward.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Apart from the graphics, the first thing that really strikes you as an improvement over the first two games is the amazing sound design. Those big snake zombies in the first zone after Firelink really loving freak me out with the horrific sounds they make.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Harrow posted:

There's a ring in the former that will make your life slightly less frustrating in the latter, for what that's worth. I haven't done anything else there though so I have no idea what's worth it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Bardeh posted:

Apart from the graphics, the first thing that really strikes you as an improvement over the first two games is the amazing sound design. Those big snake zombies in the first zone after Firelink really loving freak me out with the horrific sounds they make.

Yeah, the crucified zombies are pretty freaky as well.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Feindfeuer posted:

Accidently attacked the onion knight, killed him, soloed the fire demon. And because i hosed up with the onion knight I only got a stupid fire gem for my trouble and I still can't get past the frost dude downstairs. :argh: I'm terrible at this... but at the same time I can't get myself to give up on it.

Guide to frost dude: stay in his room and keep a column between you and him at all times so he doesn't charge. Throw fire at him and dodge away to behind a column whilst screaming like a little girl every time he moves.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Another session of invasions with people stuck in that T pose

How did From manage to find a new way to screw up the online?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How's the Lucerne this time around? I've been rolling Uchigatana for a while and the bleed is fantastic, but I wouldn't mind something with a bit more reach.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Harrow posted:

How's the Lucerne this time around? I've been rolling Uchigatana for a while and the bleed is fantastic, but I wouldn't mind something with a bit more reach.

I assume I need far more than nine luck to consistently proc the bleed? Never goes off for me.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

I did the latter and I do not recommend doing the latter until you get a lot of poison resist. Also latter's last boss will push forward some questlines.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Should I just stick with my Uchi+2 with a DEX build, or might I as well "waste" an infusion for now? Thought I'd take the Fire Gem for a spin, but be silly to waste it if it's no good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

I assume I need far more than nine luck to consistently proc the bleed? Never goes off for me.

Nope, I have only 7 Luck. The bleed only really comes off when I can land four rapid hits on an enemy, so it's mostly been useful against big and slower enemies. Most enemies die before it happens, really.

ufarn posted:

Should I just stick with my Uchi+2 with a DEX build, or might I as well "waste" an infusion for now? Thought I'd take the Fire Gem for a spin, but be silly to waste it if it's no good.

The Fire infusion doesn't scale (same with Deep and Raw), so it's mostly good for builds that aren't going to increase Strength or Dexterity beyond the minimum requirements to wield a weapon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

where does yoel go after you make him your follower or w/e? I assume firelink, but idk where in it he'd be

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Welp, I accidentally attacked the knight with the gigantic hammer in the undead village. He's now perma hostile, which wouldnt be such a problem if he was avoidable. If he kicks me I get staggered and die; if he does his light explosion thing i die; sometimes he gets a luck hammer hit in and I die.

Any way to reset him so that he's friendly? Do I use this as an excuse to start over and plan my character better? Do I fight it out and take his shield? Lotta options.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

where does yoel go after you make him your follower or w/e? I assume firelink, but idk where in it he'd be

Facing the thrones, the right side in that little side gutter

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Stormgale posted:

Facing the thrones, the right side in that little side gutter

thanks

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's taking everything I have to not re-roll since I'm learning about all the crazy things I missed and won't be able to do. :argh: Dark Souls

Can anyone give me an estimate of how far along in the game I am if I just got to Irithyll or whatever. The city under the dome with the dungeon and poo poo.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Philthy posted:

This is kind of cool.

Also, I am basically at the start if the game with like 15,000 souls just dojng co-op over and over. I could do this for weeks and be happy before moving on. In DS2 id be out leveling the area by having too many souls after like 10 coop sessions per boss unless i wore a special ring. How does DS3 handle this? Is there a special ring to stop my leveling so I can do this forever?

Answering my own question. It appears they got rid of the soul memory for scaling, which is pretty awesome. Instead it looks like you need to be -/+ 10 levels to summon a sign, AND within -/+ 2 weapon upgrade levels.

This is cool because I am basically farming souls that I don't need to spend by playing co-op constantly until I want to actually level up and move on. I can do co-op for years at the beginning game and have 1,000,000 souls and still be able to see and help noobs.

quote:

Host #1 SL 41 +4 weapon
Cooperator #1 - SL 31 +2 (matched)
Cooperator #2 - SL 51 +6 (matched)
Cooperator #3 - SL 51 +7 (not matched)
Host #2 SL 41 +5 weapon
Cooperator #3 - SL 51 +7 (matched)
Cooperator #2 - SL 51 +6 (matched)
Cooperator #1 - SL 31 +2 (not matched)

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Bardeh posted:

The sounds are good but this reminds me: is the wind noise around firelink supposed to sound like it's constantly ramping up and then cutting off? I keep hearing that sound there, and in various other areas of the game, and I'm not sure if that's a bug or just an odd design choice. Just a constant whooooooooOOOOOOOSHHH-- sudden silence.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

marxismftw posted:

Welp, I accidentally attacked the knight with the gigantic hammer in the undead village. He's now perma hostile, which wouldnt be such a problem if he was avoidable. If he kicks me I get staggered and die; if he does his light explosion thing i die; sometimes he gets a luck hammer hit in and I die.

Any way to reset him so that he's friendly? Do I use this as an excuse to start over and plan my character better? Do I fight it out and take his shield? Lotta options.

Find the ashes in the undead settlement, give them to the merchant lady in firelink, then buy a key off her that opens a door in the sewer area before hammer guy. The statue to velka is down there.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Einwand posted:

You can get a third phantom by using an item from the shrine maiden, dried knuckles or something. I think it also increases your priority for invasions and lets up to two phantoms invade at once?

What sort of weapons are people using anyways, I've been using the Lothric long spear, and I don't think I've seen a single other person with anything but a sword and one or two axes/clubs.

Rapier with some small shield I found somewhere in Lothric. Has anyone found any good parrying shields, because I'm kinda digging the gently caress out of the poke/stab/lunge archetype

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

BobTheJanitor posted:

The sounds are good but this reminds me: is the wind noise around firelink supposed to sound like it's constantly ramping up and then cutting off? I keep hearing that sound there, and in various other areas of the game, and I'm not sure if that's a bug or just an odd design choice. Just a constant whooooooooOOOOOOOSHHH-- sudden silence.

yeah it seems buggy to me as well

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I own but have not beaten DS 1 and 2 should I care before playing DS3 or is the story garbage?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

marxismftw posted:

Edited

Caidin beat me to it, you can also get there by jumping off the cliff behind the guy, but you need to be able to take a lot of fall damage.

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 13, 2016

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

Can anyone give me an estimate of how far along in the game I am if I just got to Irithyll or whatever. The city under the dome with the dungeon and poo poo.

I'd say 50%ish? There's still quite a bit after that.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Reviews of the Prima guide :laugh:

quote:

One of the worse guides I've bought.

-Right from the beginning the table of contents goes from page 42 to 224 with no breaks in between. None of the walk-through areas are labeled in the table of contents.

-It doesn't have an index...really, it doesn't. Know the name of an item you are trying to find and want to find it in the guide? Good luck searching for it without an index.

-No weapon/armor stats past level one. Want to know which weapons are best to level up to max level for your build? Well you won't find it in this guide.

-Past Dark Souls guides also showed what each point in leveling up did to your character with exact numbers, this guide does not.

-The guide on getting items is absolutely terrible! Here is a quote on how to get an item sitting off the edge of a cliff that is very hard to get: "...experiment with getting this loot." Seriously? Thanks guide.

-There isn't a word about New Game+. Not one word about it.

Dark Souls 1 had one of the best guides ever and this one doesn't even come close. It's missing even the most basic of information about the game.

Soooo bad! Disappointed to say the least.

quote:

1. The pages are warped and thin, it seriously feels like they may fall out if the guide is opened to a page too many times.

2. There are markings on the sides of the pages indicating which chapter of the guide you are currently in. This also reveals that Prima apparently forgot to include three chapters??? There is no chapter 1, 2, or 10 to be found.

3. The maps have NO enemy locations. Zero. When Future Press was making the guides they had a really nice system for marking where weak and strong enemies appeared on their maps, but there is no such demarcation to be found on the Prima maps.

4. For each area there is a sort of "complete" map that shows the entire area's map. This map does have item locations on it. However, when breaking down the area section by section the "section" maps have no item locations, forcing you to return to multiple pages before where you are (a clear issue when the book already feels ready to fall apart).

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007
The fast, tall skeletons with the shotels in the Catacombs of Carthus feel like they supposed to be in bloodborne, not dark souls. The way they dash around all over the place just feels out of place in dark souls.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

turtlecrunch posted:

Truly the Dark Souls of Prima guides. :golfclap:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
If poise means jack poo poo, are defensive stats meaningful enough to go with a heavy armor set? I'm tempted to just go for a sub 30% equip load if I don't need to worry about poise.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's twice I've been hit into a wall I couldn't escape from now. loving rats.

Also how does the Blue Sentinel system work? It's been pulsing for an hour and nothing has happened.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I mean if the guide did have weapon stats in it they would already be wrong.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

turtlecrunch posted:

That's too bad. Their Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne guides were the best guides I'd ever bought.

The wavy pages is because his house is too humid... This happened with the Bloodborne guides.

Edit: Ooohh the older guides were done by Future Press. This one was done by Prima for whatever reason.

That REALLY sucks. Maybe they'll have Future Press do a proper guide after this stinker?

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 13, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

That's twice I've been hit into a wall I couldn't escape from now. loving rats.

Also how does the Blue Sentinel system work? It's been pulsing for an hour and nothing has happened.

People in the Way of the Blue have to be invaded and then you get pulled in to defend them. I don't imagine many people are staying in that faction.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Philthy posted:

That's too bad. Their Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne guides were the best guides I'd ever bought.

The wavy pages is because his house is too humid... This happened with the Bloodborne guides.

All previous official guides were from publisher Future Press.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

That seems to happen when you've selected something, or moved the "cursor" on what's selected. It causes its own noise, which seems to reset THAT noise.

I have no idea how that passed QA because it's loving annoying.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

Undead Settlement, the tower with the spear throwing giant. You know How you can hear Sigfried Mk 2 when you ride the elevator up? There's a platform midway up you can ump onto that leads to another small section of the settlement. Ring is at the end of that. Two rings, actually, Chloranthy ring is over there too.

Wait, the Chloranthy ring is there too? I went through that path and didn't see it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Why can't all giants by my friend

I don't like it when giants are not my friend

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

turtlecrunch posted:

I don't understand why anyone would buy a guide in this day and age of free wikis. Companies like Prima have no chance against the sheer amount of autism that goes into those pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The game just threw five really awesome looking dex weapons at me but I'm five levels minimum from any of them. :argh:

The Corvian weapons look sweet.