Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Holy drat, someone still knows about Tom Swifties! :haw:

"Homosexual necrophilia is fun," Tom said in dead ernest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DigitalRaven posted:

"Homosexual necrophilia is fun," Tom said in dead ernest.

:prepop:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
"I think we're beating a dead horse," Tom said repeatedly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If nothing else, we should try to stay on-topic, Jack said gamely.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"Someone come up with a new thread topic, quick," Tom said post-haste.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
"Let's post pictures of our pets! That's always a fun derail," Tom said cattily.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Is the market cornered?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Covok posted:

Is the market cornered?

Tom said intersectionally.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm serious, Ettin's not going to like this, he replied moderately.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i dont get this incestuous meme

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Countblanc posted:

i dont get this incestuous meme

He said sisterly.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
lol!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hasbro Announces New Leadership for Wizards of the Coast

Serf
May 5, 2011

That might be one of the most unfortunate names I have ever seen.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I doubt this'll mean much for D&D, Chris Cocks is gonna have his hands full with MtG for the most part.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Serf posted:

That might be one of the most unfortunate names I have ever seen.
What are you talking about? I have no doubt that Chris Cocks will make you jump, jump.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Halloween Jack posted:

What are you talking about? I have no doubt that Chris Cocks will make you jump, jump.

:vince:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nocturnal Media acquires West End Games

I honestly thought WEG had completely disintegrated after Eric Gibson lost his poo poo. Looks like they're really only getting ownership of the D6 system stuff, though.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Nocturnal Media acquires West End Games

I honestly thought WEG had completely disintegrated after Eric Gibson lost his poo poo. Looks like they're really only getting ownership of the D6 system stuff, though.

That German outfit bought TORG and someone else apparently has the Bloodshadows rights and...well, other than the D6 stuff, did they really have anything that's not a deeply niche license?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

That German outfit bought TORG and someone else apparently has the Bloodshadows rights and...well, other than the D6 stuff, did they really have anything that's not a deeply niche license?
Not really. I mean, I knew about Torg, but most of WEG's stuff back in the day was licensed games. Looking at DriveThru, there's Bill Coffin's Septimus, but that's a free PDF.

I know people like the D6 system, but I can't imagine it's got enough of a market share to really be worth putting out books for. It's not really a system that does anything.

e: looking at Wikipedia, it seems like the only non-licensed games they did were Paranoia (now owned by Mongoose Publishing), Torg (now owned by Ulisses Spiele), Shatterzone (looks like it's owned by Precis Intermedia), and Septimus.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 13, 2016

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Bloodshadows (Fantasy noir ala Cast a Deadly Spell/Case of the Toxic Spell Dump) was the other non-licensed WEG IP, and it looks like Precis has that too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I didn't realize Precis had bought the Bloodshadows license. They have Shatterzone, so that makes sense.

For the interested but uninitiated, a breakdown of who, last I heard, holds the licenses to West End's various original IPs:

Bloodshadows: Precis Intermedia
Shatterzone: Precis Intermedia
Torg: Ulisses Spiele
Tales of the Arabian Nights: Z-Man games
Paranoia: Purchased by original designers, went to Mongoose, just had a successful Kickstarter

As the buyer said, before they moved into RPGs, West End published several original board games. I'm not sure if Nocturnal is getting the license to all of those. It appears they have the rights to the license, to D6 (which is frankly devalued by Gibson having published it under an open license as Open D6), and to the Masterbook system, I suppose. Perhaps they have the rights to Costikyan's Price of Freedom, too.

Another interesting (if inconsequential) question is who owns the rights to the fiction books WEG published for their various games. They only published about 15, but they're out there.

Yet another strange thing: It turns out that of all the licensed games WEG published, it was perhaps the most obscure of them all that was eventually republished: World of Aden, a Masterbook game based on a 1995 SSI game, was purchased and republished for Pathfinder.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
They did some really nice wargames

Air Cav
Chickamauga
Against the Reich
Air & Armor
The Battle of Shiloh

Air Cav was fantastic.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

They did some really nice wargames

Air Cav
Chickamauga
Against the Reich
Air & Armor
The Battle of Shiloh

Air Cav was fantastic.
Druid
Web & Starship
Tales of the Arabian Nights (reprinted by Z-Man, hooray!)
East Front Tank Leader
Junta
Imperium Romanum II
Knigs & Things
RAF
Rommel in North Africa
several Star Trek and Star Wars boardgames

1980s WEG owned bones.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Republishing Web & Starship is their first project.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Even though the guy's like a big businessman used to this, it's not kosher to make fun of people's names when we can't necessarily choose them when we're born (barring some cultural traditions). One might retort 'just legally change your name,' but by then you've grown used to it for nearly 2 decades.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

He's probably from a proud, long line of Cocks. If that were my surname, I would hold onto it tightly and milk it for all it's worth.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Some people might be down on Cocks, but I see nothing but Cocks going up, up, up!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
This is inappropriate, he replied stiffly.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Well, the problem with Cocks is that he does start going up and up when he gets interested in something. However, that stops for Cocks when you give him a job. He'll peak halfway through and, then, Cocks goes back to where he was before he got interested.

Covok fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 13, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
He better not screw this u-

He better not fu-

He better do a good job.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I found a good post in Catalyst Game Labs' tumblr:
http://catalystgamelabs.tumblr.com/post/142369662746/im-standing-up-update

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The linked Ken Burnside article may be better:

https://medium.com/@ken.burnside/for-good-men-to-see-nothing-c1be3e65c52f#.g9fihpoys

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Libertad! posted:

Even though the guy's like a big businessman used to this, it's not kosher to make fun of people's names when we can't necessarily choose them when we're born (barring some cultural traditions). One might retort 'just legally change your name,' but by then you've grown used to it for nearly 2 decades.

Welcome, to the SA comedy forums!

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Libertad! posted:

Making fun of someone for having a pun for a last name is not anywhere near the same ballpark as making fun of someone for having a foreign or unusual name.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Missed opportunity to name your kid Richard, Cocks senior

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Really, I'm just amazed the family did not, at some point in history, go for Cox instead.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

TheTatteredKing posted:

Missed opportunity to name your kid Richard, Cocks senior

I know someone named John Richard Johnson, Jr. That's about as close as I ever expect to see that in real life.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like you get "Cocks" when your ancestors were lovely to the Ellis Isle clerk issuing American names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

Making fun of someone for having a pun for a last name is not anywhere near the same ballpark as making fun of someone for having a foreign or unusual name.

I had an asian TA in college literally named Bamboo Dong.

• Locked thread