Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Bast Relief posted:

My tablet does this because it thinks the speaker I have plugged in is a headphone. So the speaker is no louder than the built in speaker of the tablet. So much for watching Netflix in the shower.

Who the gently caress watches Netflix in the shower?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

reformed bad troll posted:

Who the gently caress watches Netflix in the shower?

Not everybody likes Hulu, friendo.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

titties posted:

I am this guy but only because I have lost way too many jobs for calling in sick. A lot of places just don't care, they can simply hire someone else who won't call in.

I have been this woman because I was literally the only temp at a company and I didn't get PTO. One sick day in a pay period was the difference between getting paid "rent + $10" and getting "rent - $70". Times were tough.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I've been the guy going to work sick because I'm trying to get promoted into management.

Chances of it actually happening are low, but I'm trying. :smith:

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Screaming Idiot posted:

Not everybody likes Hulu, friendo.

This, and I'm bored in there. I do a good, thorough job of cleaning, something unfamiliar to many goons, so I understand the shock, but it takes a while and I get bored.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Everyone in foodservice is this person because (most) restaurants are poo poo at taking care of their employees. They know they're expendable. But oh no, it's not worth paying them a living wage or demanding that large corporations treat their employees like people. The people who are preparing your food don't deserve to stay home when they're sick, let 'em cough in my burger!

My peeve is people who get completely pissed off whenever people expect to be treated like people.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I took 3 days off last week for a cold, and let me tell you, it was hard to do that. I was raised by parents who would not let me stay home sick from school unless I was so weak I couldn't get out of bed, otherwise I was being a big baby. That got ingrained in me as the benchmark for whether I was sick enough to stay home from work, and it's hard to shake that feeling of judgement (from...imaginary parents??) when I call out for less than that. And I'm even one of the few people in this workplace who could take a month off and the work wouldn't suffer, since my job is pretty superfluous -- other coworkers have to have their department pick up their slack when they're out, and that can cause resentment.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

titties posted:

I am this guy but only because I have lost way too many jobs for calling in sick. A lot of places just don't care, they can simply hire someone else who won't call in.

Oh no doubt, but the place I work has (so far) been the exception - I was out on and off over the past few months due to illnesses I couldn't figure out until I landed in the hospital for diverticulitis and a ruptured colon. I covered my bases, brought doctor's notes in, and was on short term disability recovering for over a month after having surgery in November. Any time I've called my boss to say I'm sick and working from home, he's been absolutely cool about it and prefers that people don't come in, to avoid the whole mess of an office chorus of coughing, hacking, phlegmy sick people.

Maybe some of them came from past jobs that were lovely about taking sick time, but there's no excuse now - it's all selfish dicks that don't want to use their PTO because they have something planned and don't want to work from home because they're loving stubborn (most common excuse being "I'd have to deal with my wife/kids" - too bad rear end in a top hat, YOU chose to get married and have kids, be a loving adult and take care of them instead of being a whiny little bitch).

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

Rabbit Hill posted:

I took 3 days off last week for a cold, and let me tell you, it was hard to do that. I was raised by parents who would not let me stay home sick from school unless I was so weak I couldn't get out of bed, otherwise I was being a big baby. That got ingrained in me as the benchmark for whether I was sick enough to stay home from work, and it's hard to shake that feeling of judgement (from...imaginary parents??) when I call out for less than that. And I'm even one of the few people in this workplace who could take a month off and the work wouldn't suffer, since my job is pretty superfluous -- other coworkers have to have their department pick up their slack when they're out, and that can cause resentment.

Same here. I can't remember ever staying home from school with a cold, the only time it was fine for me to stay in bed was if I had a stomach bug and couldn't go an hour without shooting liquid from both ends - I guess my parents, in their infinite mercy, thought that would bring too much shame to the family name. As a result, I'm that rear end in a top hat who comes in to work no matter what. It doesn't really help that I've mostly worked jobs where we were perpetually understaffed and I knew how much poo poo my co-workers would be in if I didn't come in. A month-long cough that has caused me to pull a rib muscle, causing me to have to double over and squeal with pain every time I cough? I can work, I've had this for so long I can't be contagious anymore :downs:

Speaking of work, my pet peeve: passive aggressive co-workers. Actually, passive aggressiveness in general. Think I'm doing something stupid when I'm biking home from work? Then yell me and call me a oval office and be done with it instead of riding/driving past me while stating "oh it's so annoying when people do X" at no one in particular (this is mainly a thing in Germany, where direct confrontation apparently equates starting a world war). No, it isn't the more noble path to take, it makes me want to bash your skull in and absolutely not admit any wrongdoing whatsoever. But, passive aggressive co-workers. Did I forget to grant the final approval of your vacation days (a number of random days stretching over a longer time, which my fellow managers have already ok:ed) and you feel the need to remind me the day before the first one-day vacation you wanted to claim? Then just bump the email conversation at any other time than the day before with "can you please let me know about these dates asap?" Don't for the love of god send me an email saying "I just wanted to know if you maybe had looked at if maybe I could take this time off? It would be okay to know soon maybe since it might be nice to know if I maybe had the day off tomorrow perhaps. But maybe finally would you give me an answer perhaps because that would be okay. ;) ;) lol " We're a tiny startup with basically no hierarchy, you've known me for years, just ask a straight question for gently caress's sake. But every single conversation with this person is like this whenever they want something or are getting feedback that could be interpreted as anything less than 100% positive and full of prancing unicorns.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

If you call into work with a cold you are a massive baby and are the reason some places of work are tough on sickness.

Man up, gently caress sake

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yeah, man up and spread that poo poo around like the hacking, wheezing, testicles-having cool guy you are!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Bast Relief posted:

This, and I'm bored in there. I do a good, thorough job of cleaning, something unfamiliar to many goons, so I understand the shock, but it takes a while and I get bored.

Gotta scrub out them folds and then jerk it to the latest season of Daredevil.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Everyone in foodservice is this person because (most) restaurants are poo poo at taking care of their employees. They know they're expendable. But oh no, it's not worth paying them a living wage or demanding that large corporations treat their employees like people. The people who are preparing your food don't deserve to stay home when they're sick, let 'em cough in my burger!

My peeve is people who get completely pissed off whenever people expect to be treated like people.

At the place I work, they fire you if you call in without a doctor's excuse in the same day. And when you bring it in, they write you up because if you're well enough to go to a doctor, you're well enough to work.

I have a lovely job.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah, man up and spread that poo poo around like the hacking, wheezing, testicles-having cool guy you are!

It's a cold. A mild inconvenience to a normal healthy adult at worst. Just pop some dayquil and get on with your work day. If you have the flu or something more debilitating that actually hurts your performance at work significantly, fine stay home, but you can't call in with every little sniffle/headache unless you want to be searching for a new job soon. Being considerate to coworkers is great and admirable, but some of you sound like you take it to an extreme.

It's not even hard to avoid getting a cold - just avoid that person and wash your hands regularly and keep your hands away from your mouth.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also avoid getting caught in bad weather for the rest of your life. I hope your resigned to lugging an umbrella around everywhere forever. My cold came because of getting caught in a Hailstorm in Mid Spring! England's bizarre weather in action.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Murphy Brownback posted:

It's a cold. A mild inconvenience to a normal healthy adult at worst. Just pop some dayquil and get on with your work day. If you have the flu or something more debilitating that actually hurts your performance at work significantly, fine stay home, but you can't call in with every little sniffle/headache unless you want to be searching for a new job soon. Being considerate to coworkers is great and admirable, but some of you sound like you take it to an extreme.

It's not even hard to avoid getting a cold - just avoid that person and wash your hands regularly and keep your hands away from your mouth.

Throw up on your desk to show initiative!

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
People who describe a movie's special effects as "graphics." I don't know why this bugs me so much.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm blushing (and my ears are beet red) and I don't know why, and it's bugging the poo poo out of me.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

MisterBibs posted:

I'm blushing (and my ears are beet red) and I don't know why, and it's bugging the poo poo out of me.

its cuz i think ur a qt :kimchi:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Could care less

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Murphy Brownback posted:

In my case, the sick guy at my job sounded like he had a cold, flu, bronchitis, whooping cough and loving plague and it lasted almost 2 weeks. Great fun listening to someone no more than 5 feet away barely able to speak on the phone clearly or coherently in between bouts of hacking up lung oysters every 5 minutes. He already got at least 4 other people sick, one being the engineer I partner with and another guy who made the mistake of using sick idiot's laptop to look at a client problem :doh: All this after spending December to loving February dealing with morons getting sick because they don't dress properly for cold weather, like half the women in the office coming into work in what amounts to leggings and a sweater with fancy shoes and no socks on days that are 20 loving degrees out, then blowing circuit breakers with their lovely space heaters even though the office is a toasty 75 degrees.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

MisterBibs posted:

It's because you're attracted to me. There's no shame in this, I am very desirable.

PET PEEVE: stop looking at your loving samsung galaxy or iphone and loving talk to me, another human being who is sitting right next to you you hideous millennial scum.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
When people complain about how cold it is indoors when it's room temperature. I checked the thermostat and it's 70. We could take turns with hot and cold days, but if it's hot I'm either going to be a sweaty mess or I need to take off layers (trust me—you don't want me to take off layers).

titties
May 10, 2012

The North Tower posted:

When people complain about how cold it is indoors when it's room temperature.

Please define room temperature because this one is confusing me.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

titties posted:

PET PEEVE: stop looking at your loving samsung galaxy or iphone and loving talk to me, another human being who is sitting right next to you you hideous millennial scum.

Aarrgghhg, this. I have two friends that are either the rudest fucks in the world, or complete and hopeless addicts. "Hey let's hang out this weekend! We can try that new pizza place and you can watch me text everyone I've ever met. Then let's go back to your place for coffee and Twitter. Wanna play that board game where I never know it's my turn?"

I have much better conversations with them when we aren't in the same room.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

titties posted:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I don't think I want to after you said such rude things :(

titties
May 10, 2012

I will continue to complain about cell phones all over the place if you promise to keep posting that right after.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

The North Tower posted:

When people complain about how cold it is indoors when it's room temperature. I checked the thermostat and it's 70. We could take turns with hot and cold days, but if it's hot I'm either going to be a sweaty mess or I need to take off layers (trust me—you don't want me to take off layers).

Too cold/too hot people annoy me - my parents went to my apartment last November when I was in the hospital, to pick up my laptop and some books while I recovered from surgery. My apartment is usually set to 74 year round and my mom said it was "too hot". Meanwhile when I've visited their house, it's literally 71 degrees and she thinks that feels "too cold". What the gently caress. :psyduck:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
Here's an opinion that no-one will like. To qualify this, I have a cigarette a few times a month at work. Not a proper habit, but from time to time.

Why be so upset that others smoke? I hate the smell of cologne but I don't make a fuss. I like the smell of barbecue but I don't like when I can smell it by my work (very good place but I hate smelling it everywhere in the neighborhood) but I don't make a fuss. I've had co-workers that smelled like they were actively rotting away but I don't make a fuss. I had a co-worker that reeked of gin every day, but I didn't make a fuss.

But smoke one cigarette by the dumpsters at the back of the building by the emergency exit at least 20 feet from the front entrance, around a corner, obscured by a 7 foot high wall, with the prevailing wind blowing away from the main entrance, and people will come looking for you just to complain. For fucks sake, it's a goddamn cigarette. What if you go to someones house and they have a fire in the fireplace? What if you operate a vehicle and the exhaust smells like exhaust. What if someone wants to have a cigar 100 yards from you? What if someone mows their lawn and it smells like grass. Does rain upset you? What about the out-gassing from carpet? How about the smell of burning dust when you first fire up your furnace in the fall?

Smells are smells but they don't hurt you. If someone lights up a cigarette in your house, feel free to kill them. I smoke and I would kill a smoker in my house as well. I hate the smell of smoke. I can't stand being around it inside a house. If it's outside, move to the windward side and you'll be fine. Just like the guy that hasn't had a shower in years. Same gig. I didn't give the co-worker that used Febreeze as deodorant poo poo. He smelled like a butt that had eaten a butt and then poo poo out that butt and eaten it again with farts on the side. I never made a fuss.

That was a ridiculous rant. Just needed to get it out. I know that everyone will disagree.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I do agree. I don't smoke but it seems like everyone turns into big babies every time they catch a whiff of smoke. It might have to do with my mom smoking in the house when I was growing up. I just don't see the big deal about smell cigarette smoke for a few seconds every now and then.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

mostlygray posted:

Smells are smells but they don't hurt you.

Cigarettes do, though, and second hand smoke is a huge problem. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you take care to avoid it but there's stigma there because so many smokers don't.

I mean I know, trap sprung, you knew you'd get a reaction etc. but seriously.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

AlphaKretin posted:

Cigarettes do, though, and second hand smoke is a huge problem. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you take care to avoid it but there's stigma there because so many smokers don't.

I mean I know, trap sprung, you knew you'd get a reaction etc. but seriously.

I think the point is that people are happy to walk around city centres breathing in exhaust fumes but if a smoker happens to be beside them they'd rather draw him/her dirty looks.

My input, McDonald's coffee cups. They come with that stupid plastic bit that covers the drinking hole and you need to look like a literal spastic while trying to get a sip and manoeuvre your mouth into a position where you avoid having coffee dribble down your chin

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ozz81 posted:

My apartment is usually set to 74 year round and my mom said it was "too hot".
It is, if you're heating it to that temperature. I hate walking into a room with a heater on that brings the temperature over 20. If it's over that already, you don't need a heater. If it's hotter than that and you're cooling it then yeah, 23 is probably fine, although I generally dislike it when a heater or air conditioner makes the inside temperature more than 5 degrees different to the outside temperature. It just makes the transition way too unpleasant and means you have to change your clothes.

mostlygray posted:

Why be so upset that others smoke? I hate the smell of cologne but I don't make a fuss. I like the smell of barbecue but I don't like when I can smell it by my work (very good place but I hate smelling it everywhere in the neighborhood) but I don't make a fuss. I've had co-workers that smelled like they were actively rotting away but I don't make a fuss. I had a co-worker that reeked of gin every day, but I didn't make a fuss.
I basically agree with you, but I do acknowledge that others have more sensitive senses of smell than I do. To me, an unpleasant smell is really never an issue worth mentioning, but I know that other people do react more strongly to smells than I do.

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.
I'd just like to point out that I hate cigarette smoke but its gradually being phased out of existence everywhere so I'll survive with smelling it from time to time. I just figure that smokers don't remember just how distinct the smell can be to a non-user.

Cigars though? gently caress you. That poo poo reeks and if you're doing that poo poo in public you should know that you may as well be gargling raw sewage. I can smell those things from a hundred yards away outside on a clear day and feel physically ill from even the briefest exposure. Gods its foul.

This may just be one lovely brand or something, I don't know.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Grass clippings bug me substantially more than cigarette smoke. Goddamned allergies.

Cigarette smoke used to really bother me, though it doesn't so much these days. And I've literally never met a smoker who wasn't completely considerate about it in the face of a polite "sorry, my respiratory system is kind of lovely". Like, obviously there are always gonna be assholes, but I don't think they're by any means the majority, and I'd rather just focus my ire on assholes of all types rather than on the innocent and guilty alike who just happen to share an unfortunate habit.

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

Cigarettes do, though, and second hand smoke is a huge problem.

I understand that second-hand smoke is a huge problem for the waitress in a bar w/indoor smoking and situations like that. Smoking indoors has been banned here for quite a while so that doesn't come up as much.

Is it really that much of a problem when you're walking 10 paces behind a guy smoking a cigarette. I mean any inhalation caries some danger, but the last time I went camping I sat around a campfire every night with the wind blowing it in my face for (what feels like) 90% of the time. :shrug:

I chose one and the other was chosen for me but really what's the insult?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bast Relief posted:

It must take a hell of a long time to cleanse your enormous girth, you fatty fat fatty.

Of course the other option here, that you cannot exist for ten minutes at a time without entertainment, is just as funny.

What the gently caress is wrong with you.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

mostlygray posted:

Here's an opinion that no-one will like. To qualify this, I have a cigarette a few times a month at work. Not a proper habit, but from time to time.

But smoke one cigarette by the dumpsters at the back of the building by the emergency exit at least 20 feet from the front entrance, around a corner, obscured by a 7 foot high wall, with the prevailing wind blowing away from the main entrance, and people will come looking for you just to complain. For fucks sake, it's a goddamn cigarette. What if you go to someones house and they have a fire in the fireplace? What if you operate a vehicle and the exhaust smells like exhaust. What if someone wants to have a cigar 100 yards from you? What if someone mows their lawn and it smells like grass. Does rain upset you? What about the out-gassing from carpet? How about the smell of burning dust when you first fire up your furnace in the fall?

Smells are smells but they don't hurt you. If someone lights up a cigarette in your house, feel free to kill them. I smoke and I would kill a smoker in my house as well. I hate the smell of smoke. I can't stand being around it inside a house. If it's outside, move to the windward side and you'll be fine. Just like the guy that hasn't had a shower in years. Same gig. I didn't give the co-worker that used Febreeze as deodorant poo poo. He smelled like a butt that had eaten a butt and then poo poo out that butt and eaten it again with farts on the side. I never made a fuss.

That was a ridiculous rant. Just needed to get it out. I know that everyone will disagree.

To a lot of people, myself included, cigarette smoke is the most disgusting smell there is. I'd rather smell a gallon of cheap perfume or literal fresh cat feces than cigarette smoke. Exhaust smells bad, but not as bad as cigarette smoke. And it does indeed cause harm. Car exhaust does too, but to many people cars are a necessary evil. They at least have a purpose. What purpose do cigarettes have besides feeding an addiction?

Peeves: people who stand around at the gym, taking up space. Yo, it's cool if you're lazy, because your gym fees help keep mine low. But if you're not going to use that machine, get the gently caress off it. (I'm not talking about people who are resting between sets. I'm talking about people who sit there looking at their phone or staring at other gym patrons for ten minutes while the rest of us are working.)

Also, the people who congregate around my office talking loudly. My office is between the staircase and a group of conference rooms, so I understand that people will pass by, and they'll talk--no problem. But I really don't need to hear a loud, long conversation between Paul and Jim about how compliance really needs these forms back, and how they should totally set up a meeting with a client to discuss their needs for such-and-such a conference. Go into Paul's office, shut door, have conversation. Why must you stand outside shouting at him?

I shut my door, but these bitches are loud!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

reformed bad troll posted:

My input, McDonald's coffee cups. They come with that stupid plastic bit that covers the drinking hole and you need to look like a literal spastic while trying to get a sip and manoeuvre your mouth into a position where you avoid having coffee dribble down your chin

Do you really not know that there's a hole on the other side of the lid to insert the cover?

Peeve: People walking while looking at their phone. People are zig-zaggy assholes enough without their phone, but then you can add another 5 feet of zig-zagging on either side when phone-looking. I will walk as far to the side of these people as I can to avoid a collision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

BuddyChrist posted:

Is it really that much of a problem when you're walking 10 paces behind a guy smoking a cigarette.

It's really annoying.