Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Athena wasn't killed right? She could make a return.

I think the only other person you haven't mentioned is Zer0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
It can't be Zer0. Not a single haiku, no? Clearly can't be him.

I vote for Vaughn, roided out and toughened up by his harsh experiences on Pandora, listening to the stories of the two to determine which if either betrayed him!

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

That...wasn't a speculation as to the identity of the Stranger. We were just listing which characters were still around.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

I vote for Vaughn, roided out and toughened up by his harsh experiences on Pandora, listening to the stories of the two to determine which if either betrayed him!

Vaughn does seem the most obvious choice, doesn't he?

When I played, I really suspected it was Marcus (since he hadn't shown up except through narration) after the vault or Vaughn.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I rather suspect the clue that really gave it away to me will be included in the next video - but I guess playing "who's left" is a pretty smart way to go about it.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Athena wasn't killed right? She could make a return.

Timeline-wise, I don't think so? Athena's currently being interrogated by Lillith and is about to be put to a firing squad. Her end-of-TPS rescue may be around this time so it isn't impossible?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tempest_56 posted:

Timeline-wise, I don't think so? Athena's currently being interrogated by Lillith and is about to be put to a firing squad. Her end-of-TPS rescue may be around this time so it isn't impossible?
Uh, is she? This game takes place after Borderlands 2, so I'd imagine it's a different capture and interrogation. Mind you, I haven't played TPS.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
I think one of the key things to remember about the Stranger is that they mention that they too "lost someone that was important to them".

Think about all of the characters that lost close friends, lovers, and/or family up to this point. Athena lost her sister, Kroger lost his buddy Finch, that Atlas Scientist lost his whole friggin' family, August lost his mom. And that's just the human element.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

anilEhilated posted:

Uh, is she? This game takes place after Borderlands 2, so I'd imagine it's a different capture and interrogation. Mind you, I haven't played TPS.

Just from what little I know (I haven't played either) TPS is framed as a flashback story told by Athena, with I think no real time marker for the "present" where she's being interrogated. But her capture for the purpose of bringing her to Lilith apparently happened during this game, so the actual story telling in front of a firing squad bit could be happening either alongside the later events of TftB, or after the game's finish. Or a combination of the two if it starts late or runs long, I guess.

E: Oh hey, are there sky shots that might show Helios during the interrogation bits of TPS?

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 13, 2016

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

anilEhilated posted:

The framing device of TPS is that post Borderlands 2, Athena was captured by Mordecai and Brick and brought back to Sanctuary for interrogation and she tells her story. So while TPS takes place before Borderlands 2, Athena's capture takes place afterwards. This is indeed the same capture and Athena is currently in Sanctuary. Or at least, she is during the story that Rhys and Fiona are telling. We don't yet know how long it's been since that story happened so it's certainly possible that in the actual present where Rhys and Fiona are captured by the Stranger, Athena is no longer in Sanctuary.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

So I went back and double checked and no, TPS never shows the moon during any of the interrogation bits. If I had to guess at a timeline, I would think that Athena is being interrogated before Helios is destroyed. Athena is captured before the rocket is built and I can imagine that would take a while-- at least long enough for Athena to be brought back to Sanctuary and questioned. Plus, if Helios had been destroyed before Athena was put on trial, I can imagine that the vault hunters would have more pressing questions about what the heck was going on.

No time frame is given for how long ago Rhys and Fiona's stories are, but with a couple lines coming up in the next video I have no trouble assuming it could easily be at least a month if not more. Plenty of time for Athena to recount her story to Lilith and be set free.

So, yeah. It's very likely Athena is a) alive and b) free to do as she pleases during the present day.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Your scenario where the Borderlands 2 Vault Hunters are gearing up to destroy Helios only to find out that a mere Hyperion employee destroyed it himself while they were busy would be too, too funny.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So you talking about Helios being destroyed being a big deal made me realize why the episode 5 opening didn't resonate with me as much as the others. Thinking back on it, I should have realized it was a big deal, but this was my first Borderlands game, so I didn't know the full impact of what was going on.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

So you talking about Helios being destroyed being a big deal made me realize why the episode 5 opening didn't resonate with me as much as the others. Thinking back on it, I should have realized it was a big deal, but this was my first Borderlands game, so I didn't know the full impact of what was going on.

Yeah, in BL2, Helios is definitely a big deal. You *always* see it hanging over you in the sky, and it often shoots down armies of Loader Bots at you, which are significantly tougher to deal with than bandits. In the Pre-Sequel it's an even bigger deal, as that takes place on the moon, and Helios looms large in the sky, plus Helios got commandeered by Dahl soldiers who are using its Death Star-like laser to shoot at the moon periodically. That thing has always been hanging over you like the Sword of Damocles in every game but the first, so its destruction is a big deal.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Yeah, Helios is never not visible in the sky in BL2. I think even when you enter the Vault of the Warrior it might be visible through a crack in the back of the cave. It's a massive looming specter of death. It's so ubiquitous that I think even in the early episodes, a lot of players noticed that they never showed a shot of Elpis/Helios in the sky during the Tales present-day. I don't think anybody foresaw Helios loving crashing into Pandora but I definitely saw speculation that it was going to be partially or totally destroyed.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Seeing the the first video for Episode 5 reminded me that I hadn't finished playing this game myself, so I ended up marathoning all the way to the end recently. God, I wish i did so sooner. What a wonderful, amazing game. :allears:

I really can't wait to see how the rest of this LP turns out.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

CuwiKhons posted:

Yeah, Helios is never not visible in the sky in BL2. I think even when you enter the Vault of the Warrior it might be visible through a crack in the back of the cave. It's a massive looming specter of death. It's so ubiquitous that I think even in the early episodes, a lot of players noticed that they never showed a shot of Elpis/Helios in the sky during the Tales present-day. I don't think anybody foresaw Helios loving crashing into Pandora but I definitely saw speculation that it was going to be partially or totally destroyed.

At the end of the D&D dlc they're like "Let's get as many vault hunters together as we can and go TAKE DOWN HELIOS!!!!" so at one point I was talking w/ kaubocks about the possibilities for the plot of BL3 like "man, I can't wait til we go blow that fuckin space station up!" However, it was still pretty early in this lp so he was like "ummm (◕‿◕✿) yeah"

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
So I was writing a thing disputing that Loader Bots are all that much tougher than bandits as long as you can get your hands on an acid gun because they never take cover and some of the bandit variants are just as bullet-spongy, but I'm probably not even halfway through B2 and haven't seen half the Loader varieties yet so I really have no room to talk, so instead I'll ask a question:

Is it just me or is sniping WAY harder in B2 than in the TPS? It feels like the latter game is massively more forgiving with enemy head hitboxes and incentivises headshots more by having them break OZ kits.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Crasical posted:

Is it just me or is sniping WAY harder in B2 than in the TPS? It feels like the latter game is massively more forgiving with enemy head hitboxes and incentivises headshots more by having them break OZ kits.

Yeah sniping in bl2 sucks rear end. The best part of sniping in TPS is everyone either has a glowing oz kit or a glowing Dahl helmet illuminating their giant dumb head hit boxes. It owns!!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kaubocks posted:

So, yeah. It's very likely Athena is a) alive and b) free to do as she pleases during the present day.
Buy TPS and get access to a special mini-episode for the Tales like Walking Dead: 400 Days. Except the entire plot is Athena buying churros and skag-dogs for a lazy afternoon in with Janey and trying to get them back home.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Crasical posted:

So I was writing a thing disputing that Loader Bots are all that much tougher than bandits as long as you can get your hands on an acid gun because they never take cover and some of the bandit variants are just as bullet-spongy, but I'm probably not even halfway through B2 and haven't seen half the Loader varieties yet so I really have no room to talk, so instead I'll ask a question:

Well, Loader Bots are supposed to be tougher than bandits since they're introduced in a mission where they attack a bandit base right in the middle of your infiltration, and they slaughter the bandits. Plus, yes, some later-model Loaders are a lot harder to deal with, like Badass ones with six cannons on their arms, propeller-armed ones that deflect your shots with the fan blades in front of them, shield loaders that make a shield around themselves and others that electrocutes you if you get close, EXPloaders that rush you and blow up, transforming Loaders that turn into bulldozers or flying jets...

And for some bizarre reason, Junk Loaders made of junk and car chassis hanging out in the nostalgia level.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

Hostile V posted:

Buy TPS and get access to a special mini-episode for the Tales like Walking Dead: 400 Days. Except the entire plot is Athena buying churros and skag-dogs for a lazy afternoon in with Janey and trying to get them back home.

Is it bad that I kind of want this? Because I want this.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Cangelosi posted:

I think one of the key things to remember about the Stranger is that they mention that they too "lost someone that was important to them".

Think about all of the characters that lost close friends, lovers, and/or family up to this point. Athena lost her sister, Kroger lost his buddy Finch, that Atlas Scientist lost his whole friggin' family, August lost his mom. And that's just the human element.

Actually if you press Cassius on that issue it turns out he was lying about losing his family. But not his cat.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

look I don't know about you guys but if I lost my cat I'd be pretty beyond miffed :colbert:

she's a dumb fat rear end in a top hat but she's my dumb fat rear end in a top hat

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Look, I've got a lot of free time on my hands this week because I had several vacation days that I had to use before they expired for the year. Have a Friday update as well. I spoil you guys too much.

Finally, since pacing allows, there is another :siren:VOTE TO MAKE!!:siren:

We need to assemble a second team of Vault Hunters to attack the guardian of the Vault of the Traveller. In order to do this, we need three more people to round out our numbers. Who should we take with us? Janey's mechanical experience could be very welcome. Felix could help us find a plan of attack we never considered in the first place. August likely wouldn't hold back and that kind of attitude could be helpful. Cassius could be a wealth of information that could prove invaluable. Both Zer0 and Athena are seasoned Vault Hunters and that kind of experience is nothing to sneeze at.

I want you guys to know going into this that there are no wrong answers. Any combination we pick IS going to get us to the end of the game but it's just a matter of how we get there. Feel free to pick whichever characters you want for whatever reasons, since the characters we pick will interact at least somewhat with other people we have around. Think Cassius might be interested in meeting the new president of Atlas? Want Athena and Janey to smooch it out on the battlefield? Do Fiona and Sasha deserve to see Felix one last time? All of these lines of thoughts and more are valid.

Please pick three people you want to bring onto our team and I'll pick the three people with the highest votes once the voting period ends on Tuesday, 6PM Eastern.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Hi.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Athena, Janey, Felix.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Kaubocks posted:

Want Athena and Janey to smooch it out on the battlefield?

Yes!!

Kaubocks posted:

Do Fiona and Sasha deserve to see Felix one last time?

Yes!!!!!!

Athena Janey and Felix!!!

Also I mentioned this to u last night but I feel like it's wrong to have Athena do another dangerous job behind Janey's back, so I'd rather if she came along! Maybe Janey will find out how cool and fun vault hunting is and that it's not all bad

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Felix
Athena
Zer0

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Athena, August, and Zer0

Two professional Vault Hunters and a dick, let's go.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Vault hunter dream team. Athena, Zer0, and uhh... Felix I guess?

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 15, 2016

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Janey, Athena, Felix, Katbocks riding on top taking a nap in the sun.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The Stranger's reveal was perfect. :allears:

Athena because she's the one who trained Fiona into a vault hunter.

Janey because she's Athena's girlfriend.

Zer0 because he's a vault hunter as well.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Felix
Athena
Zer0

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

BTW, on the Stranger's title card the binary says "Friend"

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Athena, Janey, and Zer0!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Okay, so Athena is our bud. She deserves to be able to raid a vault after dealing with Lilith.

Next, we'll probably need a Gundam pilot for Gortys, since both the Traveler and Final Gortys are super big and the only way I see this ending is a Kaiju fight, so let's bring in Janey for mechanical expertise.

As for the third person, let's find out what Felix's deal is. Seriously, why did he betray us?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Me watching the video:

*Kroger brings in the bandit leader*
"Oh hey, that hood looks familiar, is that Athena?"

*sees the bandit leader's bare chest*
"Oh HOLY poo poo is that Vaughn? drat, he's all bloody and badass!"

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

For this raid we need a dedicated fighter, healer, and striker.

Athena fits the bill as a sword & shield fighter

Janey can be the healer for our tank, Gortys

Zer0 is an Assassin which is like the master of single target damaging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn, what a beard! What happened, man?

I kinda miss his glasses, though.

• Locked thread