Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Those crystal lizard things that drop scales, I guess you can backstab them? I did it by accident while wailing on it with my hanzo steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You probably initiated a visceral attack from behind, when it stumbles you would normally attack its head and get a v-attk.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I like this game, but goddamn, how many times is From going to go back to the "big humanoid boss" well?

The bosses that are weird monsters are so much cooler.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
How far into the game am I if I just entered Central Irithyll?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

MrSmokes posted:

I like this game, but goddamn, how many times is From going to go back to the "big humanoid boss" well?

You got any better ideas? I thought Vordt was a funny play on that.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Where can I get the Zweihander?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Is there anything worthwhile up in the rafters of Cathedral of the Deep. I'm not having much luck up there and having just lost my bloodstain I'd just as soon not go back and try to kill those guys.

I think I got everything outside, and I grabbed all the items I could see, but since I was constantly trying to stay alive I might have missed something.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

MrSmokes posted:

The bosses that are weird monsters are so much cooler.

Some of the weird monsters are minibosses instead.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Regy Rusty posted:

Is there anything worthwhile up in the rafters of Cathedral of the Deep. I'm not having much luck up there and having just lost my bloodstain I'd just as soon not go back and try to kill those guys.

I think I got everything outside, and I grabbed all the items I could see, but since I was constantly trying to stay alive I might have missed something.

Look down from various parts of the rafters.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So I'm at the Roads of Sacrifice, I've found an inordinate number of Bonfires, and I'm sick to death of this swamp place. I just killed a big bastard white Stray Demon who would have been cake if it wasn't for his seemingly almost instant grab attack which complicated it slightly, picked up Lightning Spear (HELL YEAH) and some Crystal Lizards at his dead drake buddy. The only way forward I've found is through the Abyss Watchers bossfight, which feels a bit tough right now. Are there any other directions I can go? As I said, I am sick of that swamp, and I think I've fully explored all the non-swamp areas I've found so far, so I don't care about being spoiled on this. Otherwise I'll just have to tough up and git gud at the second phase of the Watchers fight I suppose...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Operant posted:

Burning bone shards in fire link shrine seems to raise bonfire level - that doesn't raise difficulty does it?

Nah, it's just a fancy way of saying it's making your Estus Flask stronger.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Insurrectionist posted:

So I'm at the Roads of Sacrifice, I've found an inordinate number of Bonfires, and I'm sick to death of this swamp place. I just killed a big bastard white Stray Demon who would have been cake if it wasn't for his seemingly almost instant grab attack which complicated it slightly, picked up Lightning Spear (HELL YEAH) and some Crystal Lizards at his dead drake buddy. The only way forward I've found is through the Abyss Watchers bossfight, which feels a bit tough right now. Are there any other directions I can go? As I said, I am sick of that swamp, and I think I've fully explored all the non-swamp areas I've found so far, so I don't care about being spoiled on this. Otherwise I'll just have to tough up and git gud at the second phase of the Watchers fight I suppose...

Did you go to COTD yet? If not go to Crucifixion Woods and explore the ruins where there are some mages with big hats wandering around.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Guide to frost dude: stay in his room and keep a column between you and him at all times so he doesn't charge. Throw fire at him and dodge away to behind a column whilst screaming like a little girl every time he moves.

Thanks, but right after writing my little post I tried again and wiped him. I tried luring him into the big room with my crossbow but instead he got stuck on the doorway and I just kept firing at him until he died of boredom.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Abyss Watchers was cool as hell. Took me 4 tries but I loved every attempt.

...on the other hand, the swamp is god awful and I never want to go in it again. I probably missed some stuff but that area is the antithesis of fun.

turtlecrunch posted:

Some of the weird monsters are minibosses instead.

Yeah there a few enemies that I feel would of, or could of, been bosses in old souls games but are just minibosses here. Stuff like the demon in the Settlement for example.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

doctor iono posted:

How far into the game am I if I just entered Central Irithyll?

If the game was sectioned into thirds, you would just have entered the second third.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

turtlecrunch posted:

Did you go to COTD yet? If not go to Crucifixion Woods and explore the ruins where there are some mages with big hats wandering around.

Ie, the left side of the swamp when you're looking down from the Halfway Fort.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
So I invaded a disco? No-one seemed to be able to hurt anyone else so we ran in circles and rolled about like idiots for a good 15 minutes then got disconnected from Steam. GOTY.

In mildly spoilerish news, im so glad i didn't have to fight these fuckers ever again.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Look down from various parts of the rafters.

Please tell me specifically what I'm looking for I can't deal with these guys

:negative:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I have to agree with the pointless message someone left in front of the cathedral's big blue door shortcut

Edit: it wasn't a shortcut lol. do the big giants respawn?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Regy Rusty posted:

Please tell me specifically what I'm looking for I can't deal with these guys

:negative:

So if you are facing the rafters from the entrance to them, go to the far left side against the wall furthest from you, and there should be a place to drop down.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

Ah, I totally forgot about that place. Thanks for the tip.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I went back to Firelink after beating the watchers and sorcery guy is dead, depression guy is missing, is someone here a murderer? I hate this stuff.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

So if you are facing the rafters from the entrance to them, go to the far left side against the wall furthest from you, and there should be a place to drop down.

Ahhh thanks

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Hawkwood normally gives some pro tips for figuring your way through the early part of the game, up until he just sort of vanishes for long periods at a time, but for COTD he says like "it's beyond Farron Keep". No it's loving not Hawkwood, you moron. :owned:

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

MrLonghair posted:

Unfortunately Titanite Scale upgrades are a complete mofo to get hold of until later in the game, or if you get all the luck in the world and all the larger lizards drop two each time. There is one very difficult path that can be taken early on that eventually leads to a cache with treasurechests of them, and it's as follows (lightest possible spoilers): Remember the old lady that told you how to leave Highwall? Kill her, kill what comes, head straight forwards and continue the exploration. When you find a dark cool place with someone really chill you're in the right spot

AHAHAHA, the Dancer impaled me in one swift motion. Alrighty, time to step up my game, clearly

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh cool the slime students are back

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, what's everyone's favorite weapon they've picked up so far?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flynn's ring is a lot shittier than it used to be, for some odd unknown reason. :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

So I went back to Firelink after beating the watchers and sorcery guy is dead, depression guy is missing, is someone here a murderer? I hate this stuff.

Did you take the free level ups from the sorcery guy? Five of them, perhaps? If so, someone new might be around.

RBA Starblade posted:

Flynn's ring is a lot shittier than it used to be, for some odd unknown reason. :v:

It was probably way too good in DS2, but they definitely brought it down to "why would you ever use this?" level in DS3. Worth noting that it now works based on your current equip load percentage and not on your maximum equip load, unlike in DS2.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

MrLonghair posted:

If the game was sectioned into thirds, you would just have entered the second third.

Perfect, I wasn't sure if the game was shorter than I thought.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Internet Kraken posted:

The first thing happened to me. If you got five free levels out of him, look around where he was and you'll have a new friend. If not, tough cookies.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

I've been using the lothric knight sword practically since the beginning and its real nice. I upgraded the astora greatsword because I love the moveset for a nice light, dex focused heavy weapon. I haven't found anything I wanna use my twinklings on yet...

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Harrow posted:

Old Wolf Curved Sword.

Best sword 2016. If only my Watchdogs of Farron covenant worked. :qq:

Spent 2 hours farming it with a stack of 99 Rusted Coins.

Visions of beast men ...

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Just saw the game has different endings. Considering I'm trying to Plat this game in the first NG, where are the cut-off points for that sort of stuff I need to be mindful of?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

It was probably way too good in DS2, but they definitely brought it down to "why would you ever use this?" level in DS3. Worth noting that it now works based on your current equip load percentage and not on your maximum equip load, unlike in DS2.

Yeah, +15 to attack is still nice, I was just joking.

What actually does suck now are claymores. Especially pvp, they can't hit anyone.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Thanks for the advice on which game to start with, y'all. The general consensus seems to be to start with Dark Souls 1 so I suppose I'll go with that. I'm concerned I won't be good enough to ever start actually enjoying the games, but I hope I'm wrong on that score.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So a question, is Flynn's Ring based on absolute Equip Load, or Weight Ratio?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
nice, I got my first ever dark souls hacker doing aldritch stuff

though to be fair I've never pvped much

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Kaldaris posted:

Old Wolf Curved Sword.

Best sword 2016. If only my Watchdogs of Farron covenant worked. :qq:

Spent 2 hours farming it with a stack of 99 Rusted Coins.

Visions of beast men ...

My covenant worked, so I'm rocking the Wolf greatsword and wolf greatshield. Wolf bros, unite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

ufarn posted:

Considering I'm trying to Plat this game in the first NG, where are the cut-off points for that sort of stuff I need to be mindful of?

Uhh well in that case check the wiki page for Anri of Astora. After you beat the final boss (don't touch anything), USB back up your save if you are on console. On PC idk if you can...