Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Minrad posted:

nice, I got my first ever dark souls hacker doing aldritch stuff

though to be fair I've never pvped much

This is why I stick with the PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Are drops like determined by account or something? All I get from these Lothric knights are their pants, and all I get from the soldiers are their helmets. Got like four each.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Going to guess Frostbite as a stat is worthless without high luck, 12 hits with the ISS didn't trigger anything on a phantom.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Vintersorg posted:

This is why I stick with the PS4.

I am using the opportunity to poo poo post and catch up on all the news I've ignored the past two days, as I sit in his game camoflauged. he, unable to take damage. me, infinitely patient. him, unwilling to just cheat the 'real' game.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

So, what's everyone's favorite weapon they've picked up so far?

I'm running Claymore right now until I get my HeavyHander up and running. I'm disappointed with the Deep Axe, it either does less damage or seems to be resisted by a lot of the early enemies compared to a Raw Axe.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ufarn posted:

Just saw the game has different endings. Considering I'm trying to Plat this game in the first NG, where are the cut-off points for that sort of stuff I need to be mindful of?

You can't do that. The trophy Master of Rings requires that you collect every ring, including the +1/+2 variants of some rings that only show up in ng+1 and ng+2, respectively.

RBA Starblade posted:

Going to guess Frostbite as a stat is worthless without high luck, 12 hits with the ISS didn't trigger anything on a phantom.

Luck just affects poison and bleed, not frostbite. No idea if there's a way to boost your frost capabilities.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Beeez posted:

Thanks for the advice on which game to start with, y'all. The general consensus seems to be to start with Dark Souls 1 so I suppose I'll go with that. I'm concerned I won't be good enough to ever start actually enjoying the games, but I hope I'm wrong on that score.

The reputation these games have is way overblown. Yeah, they're difficult, but a lot of that comes from it being completely unafraid to punish impatience in a way that most games don't. Pay attention and don't sweat deaths too much and you'll be fine.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

I'm just waiting to find a weapon, any weapon, that scales with Faith. Doing fine with Astora Straight Sword so far but it feels a little bit boring.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

if i'm not planning on using any sorceries is there any downside to killing the sorcerer dude? He won't talk to me anyway

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Where can I upgrade my pyro flame? And what does the guy who "unlocks your true power" do?

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Heath posted:

Where can I upgrade my pyro flame? And what does the guy who "unlocks your true power" do?

Gives you "free" levelups after you lose ember.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm just waiting to find a weapon, any weapon, that scales with Faith. Doing fine with Astora Straight Sword so far but it feels a little bit boring.

To my knowledge there really aren't any faith scaling weapons. The closest things would be a few weapons that have faith scaling, but their predominant damage is physical (usually high strength stuff). If you want a faith weapon you'll have to stick with infusable stuff and use either the blessed or lightning paths.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

Luck just affects poison and bleed, not frostbite. No idea if there's a way to boost your frost capabilities.

I mean the sword itself is fine just that little feature doesn't do much.

Also wow the claymore's way better 2 handed. Also neat succeeding as a purple pal re-embers you.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Genocyber posted:

To my knowledge there really aren't any faith scaling weapons. The closest things would be a few weapons that have faith scaling, but their predominant damage is physical (usually high strength stuff). If you want a faith weapon you'll have to stick with infusable stuff and use either the blessed or lightning paths.

You get a spear from the cathedral with E strength E dex and D faith scaling

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

By the way the game is lying to you when the moundmakers say "kill a phantom". Other purple pals don't count.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lhet posted:

Gives you "free" levelups after you lose ember.

And is in general a very pleasant buddy. :3:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Is the Abyss Watcher weapon usable with a shield or do you have to dual wield it with the dagger? I think his attacks look cool but i can't parry so a parry knife isn't going to do me much good.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

RBA Starblade posted:

I mean the sword itself is fine just that little feature doesn't do much.

Also wow the claymore's way better 2 handed. Also neat succeeding as a purple pal re-embers you.

The real trick I've learned with the claymore is that it's R2 is pretty beefy and the jump attack rules.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
If I've already beaten the boss in an area, would I be a dick for summoning someone to help me beat a side guy? Having a hard time with the red eyed knight in Lothric just to the side of the entrance where you talk to Emma.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

no...

why...

why would you put bonewheels in here. no...

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Man, that sucks, especially since Blessed is pretty awful generally. But honestly I wouldn't even mind some with secondary faith scaling, I check every new weapon I get and so far not a single one has had even E in Faith. Guess I'll wait for Lightning and experiment with regular weapons until then!

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Harrow posted:

I'm loving the Exile greatsword. It is fast and seems to stagger real well.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Is Pontiff's Left Eye broken? I'm getting no HP regeneration whatsoever, however much I attack.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Man I'm getting pissed trying to get Loretta's Bone from the settlement. The item is on a corpse dangling from a tree over a cliff overlooking the church/Siegwald area. If I come up from the frost knight area and shoot at the body, it always lands on top of the cliff. If I approach it from the topside and shoot it with an arrow, it falls to the bottom and I have to fight my way though.

Also I found out something else about the Butcher's knife: it requires 24 strength to wield and it has a A scaling to str at +0. At the very bare minimum 24 str it's got 95+45ish damage, which is quite a bit more bite than you would think looking at it on the wiki. Added bonus insofar as it heals you a little bit on every hit.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Beeez posted:

Thanks for the advice on which game to start with, y'all. The general consensus seems to be to start with Dark Souls 1 so I suppose I'll go with that. I'm concerned I won't be good enough to ever start actually enjoying the games, but I hope I'm wrong on that score.

Saying that the games are impossibly hard is a dumb marketing gimmick. All it amounts to is you can't button mash and if you continually play like an idiot you will lose currency. It takes a bit of getting used to at first but there are mechanics in the game to allow anyone other than your grandpa who has never picked up a controller before to finish it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Harrow posted:

Did you take the free level ups from the sorcery guy? Five of them, perhaps? If so, someone new might be around.

I didn't take any levels from him because I thought they would do bad poo poo.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I just beat the abyss watchers

when do I get to sunbro

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
doot doot i just beat the final boss

p good game imo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
when I get there should I take the free levels from the guy

whats the benefits / whats the drawbacks

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

bonewitch posted:

doot doot i just beat the final boss

p good game imo

i keep dying to the halberd guy on the high wall

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Capsaicin posted:

i keep dying to the halberd guy on the high wall

have you tried not dying

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Eonwe posted:

when I get there should I take the free levels from the guy

whats the benefits / whats the drawbacks

The benefit is you get 5 free levels, the downside is if you die lots you look like a hollow. You need to do it if you want to follow the "dark" questline.

You can remove the beef jerky look by buying a purging stone for 4.5k, or permanently once you get the firekeeper soul for a lot more (for me it was 47k). If you do this the dark NPC will stop talking to you and you are locked out of that questline.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

bonewitch posted:

have you tried not dying

i thought that might help but ain't helpin too much

I'm playing this on XB1 and it just feels much weirder with this controller than the DS3/DS4 did for DS1/2 and Bloodborne

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Harrow posted:

Hollowslayer greatsword. I picked it up because I'm cosplaying Lucatiel and either it got buffed or I'd forgot how good the mirrah greatsword was.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ruggington posted:

I just beat the abyss watchers

when do I get to sunbro

you have to fall through the floor into a room with a door you can't open from the other side otherwise in the first house in undead settlement

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Frankston posted:

Is Pontiff's Left Eye broken? I'm getting no HP regeneration whatsoever, however much I attack.

The only time I noticed it doing anything was in the Deacons boss fight when I was hitting multiple enemies at once. It kept me at full health for most of the fight.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Seven rounds of Highwall killing everything with the best itemfind gear I have, no Raw Gem. Why must you do this.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Does pyromancy just scale off your flame, or do i have to invest a bunch of levels into it if i want to make use of it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spanish Manlove posted:

The real trick I've learned with the claymore is that it's R2 is pretty beefy and the jump attack rules.

Agreed.

Also the servers are imploding today. So much teleporting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CJ posted:

The benefit is you get 5 free levels, the downside is if you die lots you look like a hollow. You need to do it if you want to follow the "dark" questline.

You can remove the beef jerky look by buying a purging stone for 4.5k, or permanently once you get the firekeeper soul for a lot more (for me it was 47k). If you do this the dark NPC will stop talking to you and you are locked out of that questline.

You can cure your hollow but you cant do that ending anymore.