Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

RBA Starblade posted:

By the way the game is lying to you when the moundmakers say "kill a phantom". Other purple pals don't count.

If any form of phantom dies you should get your reward. I've been trying to force threeway pvp fights by summoning two purples, and every time I kill one of them, the other goes home with the reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

Man, that sucks, especially since Blessed is pretty awful generally. But honestly I wouldn't even mind some with secondary faith scaling, I check every new weapon I get and so far not a single one has had even E in Faith. Guess I'll wait for Lightning and experiment with regular weapons until then!

There is the one weapon someone above mentioned. The Saint Bident you can pick up in the Cathedral of the Deep. More specifically, after the double doors guarded by one of the giants there. It has E in str and dex and a D in faith. It apparently can be infused, according to the wiki, so I'd imagine the fth scaling would jump up considerably if made lightning or blessed. Have no experience with it personally, however.

Frankston posted:

Is Pontiff's Left Eye broken? I'm getting no HP regeneration whatsoever, however much I attack.

It takes a lot of consecutive hits. Only time I've gotten it to work considerably for me is using weapons with a ton of attacks, such as dual-wielded curved swords or daggers, especially versus crowds like the Deacons of the Deep boss fight.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Couple of quick questions.

Is it possible to get a ring that makes you move through the swamp easier before you get to it? (like getting the rusted iron ring before Blighttown in DS1).

Where can you get a ring to increase your discovery?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You know, I just realized something.

What exactly is stopping some rear end in a top hat from invading someone, editing a weapon to +10, and dropping it as a "gift", thereby screwing that person out of co-op until endgame?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is bloodlust the katana worth investing anything in?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Traxis posted:

The only time I noticed it doing anything was in the Deacons boss fight when I was hitting multiple enemies at once. It kept me at full health for most of the fight.

maybe it's a bad translation and it heals on attacks that hit consecutive enemies instead of literal consecutive attacks. i got it too, hoping it would do some cool healing for my rapier spam, but it does nothing

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Is poise useful like DS1 or useless like DS2? Wondering whether or not it's worth it to equip the Wolf Ring or not. Also apparently Flynn's Ring got nerfed hard from DS2, is that true?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Capsaicin posted:

i thought that might help but ain't helpin too much

I'm playing this on XB1 and it just feels much weirder with this controller than the DS3/DS4 did for DS1/2 and Bloodborne

im using an xbox controller and yeah its a little weird. i played all the previous ones on a ds3

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Tallgeese posted:

What exactly is stopping some rear end in a top hat from invading someone, editing a weapon to +10, and dropping it as a "gift", thereby screwing that person out of co-op until endgame?

The fact that you can only pick up a weapon if it is a reinforcement level matching that of what you have or have had in the past :v:

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Is poise useful like DS1 or useless like DS2? Wondering whether or not it's worth it to equip the Wolf Ring or not. Also apparently Flynn's Ring got nerfed hard from DS2, is that true?

Wear it and tell us. We're all learning together.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I missed the claymore and like half of the first level. Can you farm the Knights by the boss area for shards?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

MrLonghair posted:

The fact that you can only pick up a weapon if it is a reinforcement level matching that of what you have or have had in the past :v:

What, it prevents the pickup?

That's... remarkable foresight of them if true.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

Well a reasonable system would surely look at the highest weapon enchantment the player currently owns to determine matchmaking, thus allowing the unlucky recipient to simply sell the +10 item and get back their ability to co-op.
Probably not the system in place though!

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

No bird, pickle-pee and pump-a-rum are not words. :colbert:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

By the way the game is lying to you when the moundmakers say "kill a phantom". Other purple pals don't count.

Sometimes it takes more than one phantom apparently

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

You can cure your hollow but you cant do that ending anymore.

I thought that as long as you follow the questline to completion, you can undo your hollowing and still get the third ending. Not the case?

Insurrectionist posted:

Well a reasonable system would surely look at the highest weapon enchantment the player currently owns to determine matchmaking, thus allowing the unlucky recipient to simply sell the +10 item and get back their ability to co-op.
Probably not the system in place though!

You're right, that would be reasonable. It's also not the system in place. Apparently, co-op and invasion ranges are determined by the highest-upgraded weapon you've ever had, even if you get rid of that weapon.

Tallgeese does point out a way that cheaters on PC can gently caress people over, so maybe it's best not to pick up any "gifts" from invaders for a while :v:

MrLonghair posted:

Oh, that's some solid foresight on From's part. Nice.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 13, 2016

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tallgeese posted:

Tallgeese: Just Asking Questions

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'm like 30 minutes into the catacombs and this place might be the most FROM area in existence

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

Couple of quick questions.

Is it possible to get a ring that makes you move through the swamp easier before you get to it? (like getting the rusted iron ring before Blighttown in DS1).

No such ring exists. But you can make swamp travel easier if you get a weapon with the Quickstep skill. Quickstep is not slowed and covers quite a bit of distance. Best for this if you also want to attack with it would be the Thrall Axe which drops from the hooded guys in the Undead Settlement.

quote:

Where can you get a ring to increase your discovery?

Not until (late game area) the Profaned Capital. There's a route back into the Irithyll Dungeon that will take you to a solitary cell with the ring in it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Harrow posted:

Oh, that's some solid foresight on From's part. Nice.

I'm not sure if he means it stops the pickup dead, or if he means you can't invade someone with a lower reinforcement level (which you can't within reason).

The former would be best by far. The latter I would not bet on to save the unwary, since it has to be stored on your character data somewhere...

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How do armor and weapon stats work in this game. As a knight, should I always be wearing the set with the most physical resist? I've found a few other sets which look better but are a bit weaker. How much a difference does it really make?

Weapons too, I have a raw broadsword that's 180 physical damage without attribute bonuses. But I can make it a 127 fire sword with a gem now that does have attribute bonuses. Just not sure how that equates to overall damage output. I've also transfigured two souls into weapons and while they have lower physical damage they have to be better right?

After my initial frustration, this game is becoming one of my all time favorites. I put more than 8 hours in it last night and didn't realize until it was 2am. That nutsack tree died like a bitch too.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Blind Rasputin posted:

How do armor and weapon stats work in this game. As a knight, should I always be wearing the set with the most physical resist? I've found a few other sets which look better but are a bit weaker. How much a difference does it really make?

Weapons too, I have a raw broadsword that's 180 physical damage without attribute bonuses. But I can make it a 127 fire sword with a gem now that does have attribute bonuses. Just not sure how that equates to overall damage output. I've also transfigured two souls into weapons and while they have lower physical damage they have to be better right?

After my initial frustration, this game is becoming one of my all time favorites. I put more than 8 hours in it last night and didn't realize until it was 2am. That nutsack tree died like a bitch too.

Hard to say this soon. If you want to know for sure find a bonfire and run to the nearest bad guy and let him hit you to see.

I'm lugging around in the warrior set using the second bosses great mace, I'm fat rolling.

Around the +5 weapon you should see a decent return from having stats on weapons. Most of the elemental weapons forgo scaling for flat elemental damage added to the base.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 13, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Genocyber posted:

No such ring exists. But you can make swamp travel easier if you get a weapon with the Quickstep skill. Quickstep is not slowed and covers quite a bit of distance. Best for this if you also want to attack with it would be the Thrall Axe which drops from the hooded guys in the Undead Settlement.

Not until (late game area) the Profaned Capital. There's a route back into the Irithyll Dungeon that will take you to a solitary cell with the ring in it.

is there going to be any more of that sweet DS pixel art like in your avatar? i'm entranced every time you post :swoon:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

I'm not sure if he means it stops the pickup dead, or if he means you can't invade someone with a lower reinforcement level (which you can't within reason).

The former would be best by far. The latter I would not bet on to save the unwary, since it has to be stored on your character data somewhere...

Speaking of messing around with stuff on PC, is there any information yet about what cheating safeguards are in place? I'd kind of like to try to use a trainer to change my character's name to something a bit more colorful (within the allowed character limits and all that), assuming that's possible, but I'd hate for it to flag me as a cheater for doing so.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

White Phosphorus posted:

I got invaded by a blue phantom in the forest that had no name. Was it a person or an AI I seriously couldn't tell.

If this is the "Watchdog of Farron," I'm honestly not sure myself. I'm kinda curious if it's like the Old Monk DeS fight, where a random player gets summoned to take the spot or something. If it's an NPC, it's really good at imitating a real player. They were using taunts, rolling away like a crazy person, and didn't use an estus until I did. That was the point that made me wonder if it was a real person - it was basically an honor duel until I healed, then they used estus and did the "well, what is it" pose, or something close. It was also trying to bait me into the swamp.

It behaves so differently from the other NPC invasions I've come across so far that I almost can't believe it's not a real person, but I have no idea what the mechanics behind it are. I was a Bluecop at the time too, so I'm not sure what triggers the invasion.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ruggington posted:

I just beat the abyss watchers

when do I get to sunbro

You passed it a long ways ago.

When you get to the undead settlement, after you meet the first spikey greatmace evangelist, if you don't cross the bridge and go into the building with all the hanging bodies, there's a locked door that you can get into from the floor above.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

MrLonghair posted:

Seven rounds of Highwall killing everything with the best itemfind gear I have, no Raw Gem. Why must you do this.

Well if you still don't have one, I've got seven I'm probably never gonna use, I think I can give you one with the password summoning whatever?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

If this is the "Watchdog of Farron," I'm honestly not sure myself. I'm kinda curious if it's like the Old Monk DeS fight, where a random player gets summoned to take the spot or something. If it's an NPC, it's really good at imitating a real player. They were using taunts, rolling away like a crazy person, and didn't use an estus until I did. That was the point that made me wonder if it was a real person - it was basically an honor duel until I healed, then they used estus and did the "well, what is it" pose, or something close. It was also trying to bait me into the swamp.

It behaves so differently from the other NPC invasions I've come across so far that I almost can't believe it's not a real person, but I have no idea what the mechanics behind it are. I was a Bluecop at the time too, so I'm not sure what triggers the invasion.

it's this game's forest covenant

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Harrow posted:

Speaking of messing around with stuff on PC, is there any information yet about what cheating safeguards are in place? I'd kind of like to try to use a trainer to change my character's name to something a bit more colorful (within the allowed character limits and all that), assuming that's possible, but I'd hate for it to flag me as a cheater for doing so.

I would recommend a holding pattern for several weeks.

There have been false alarms about softbans arising from people not knowing about the reinforcement-based matchmaking. However, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence in this instance.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TheQat posted:

is there going to be any more of that sweet DS pixel art like in your avatar? i'm entranced every time you post :swoon:

I dunno. I got it from someone who linked it in one of the dark souls threads. Hopefully the dude that made it will make more.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
does anyone know about the name censoring stuff in this game? is it the same censor as dark souls 2?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What does your heart tell you?

(rump is censored)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zand posted:

does anyone know about the name censoring stuff in this game? is it the same censor as dark souls 2?

Some one posted a list, you cant name yourself Jesus.

thebandbeforetime
May 26, 2010
DS2 is the only Souls game I finished, and I basically played through the whole thing with light armor, a rapier and the leather shield. Getting equipment load down for the fast rolls seems pretty tough; I started with assassin and have been digging the Estoc more than the rapier, but I've noticed it's going to be a while before I get to the super fast roll weight limit. Also, I've noticed I'm using my shield a lot less than I did in DS2, maybe due to playing Bloodborne last. Should I try using the Lothric Knight Sword?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stormgale posted:

Sometimes it takes more than one phantom apparently

That would explain why it keeps not counting invaders too then. I wonder what that criteria is?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
I'm sorry if this has been asked, but wikis don't seem to offer anything: What long-lasting effect does Cursed have now?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tallgeese posted:

What does your heart tell you?

(rump is censored)

I can't believe "knight" still gets filtered.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ruggington posted:

I'm like 30 minutes into the catacombs and this place might be the most FROM area in existence

I thought it was easy up until the NPC invader pancaked me 3 times in a row :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't believe "knight" still gets filtered.

Haha, well, there goes my clever name idea. I forgot about that ridiculous filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Harrow posted:

Haha, well, there goes my clever name idea. I forgot about that ridiculous filter.

There's ways around it.

How do you think I got my name to show uncensored for everyone?