Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Isn't her name Aleka in Azz's Wondy or are we just ignoring his run altogether like Wondy usually suffers?
I don't think they're the same character, unless the Finches made it so after Azzarello's run was over? They just look very similar, though Artemis is usually pretty slim while Aleka is pretty burly. I'm assuming this is Artemis' first Nu52/Rebirth/whatever appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Stopman!

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

So Wonder Woman Earth 1 was pretty awesome, and apparently it's supposed to be part of a Trilogy?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

So Wonder Woman Earth 1 was pretty awesome, and apparently it's supposed to be part of a Trilogy?
That is the plan.

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN
I have a question, hopefully someone can shed some light: I re-read the ending of Convergence - where Telos sends Pre-52 Superman (with Lois and son Jon), Pre-Crisis Supergirl, Pre-Crisis Flash (Barry Allen), and Zero Hour Parallax to the past to avert the Crisis of Infinite Earths, which they did. We know the fate of both the Superman "family" in the pages of Lois and Clark, and also the fate of Parallax in the pages of the newest Green Lantern comics.

My question is what happened to the Flash and Supergirl that were sent back? Is the story that they died like they did in the original Crisis? You would think they'd have some hand in defeating the Anti-Monitor and not dying. It's just something that's been bugging me since knowing Superman and his family and Parallax are alive and well.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

redbackground posted:

That is the plan.

Grant going to keep up the "No fighting" rule in all 3? It makes a drastic change of pace for a comic book to be resolved in ways that didn't involve punching but I'm not sure if it's able to be kept up for a trilogy.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Grant going to keep up the "No fighting" rule in all 3? It makes a drastic change of pace for a comic book to be resolved in ways that didn't involve punching but I'm not sure if it's able to be kept up for a trilogy.
Well, that I don't know, but the last paragraph in this interview sounds like he's quite cognizant of it.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Well that should be interesting.
Woo Woo!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Isn't her name Aleka in Azz's Wondy or are we just ignoring his run altogether like Wondy usually suffers?
I'm guessing Aleka and Artemis just aren't the same character, which is plausible enough.

And yeah there's definitely some relation between Superwoman and Thor in Marvel right now, although (spoilers for Thor) I would say the major difference is that Jane is actively choosing to kill herself over being Thor - she can stop at any time and take her chemo properly, but the call to heroism makes every treatment she takes completely useless. Also that Superman is still going to be around, while Odinson is more or less not present due to be imprisoned.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
On that note, I read Wonder Woman Earth 1, and it's definitely very...interesting in that Morrison-y way. Sometimes it's very blunt and explicit about its meanings, other times it's rather dense and oblique. The art and designs are utterly gorgeous. I will say that, for whatever else, it reads like a very detailed, very passionate treatise on Marston's Golden Age Wonder Woman.

On the downside...I didn't really feel very engaged by the character or the world? She feels more like a collection of cliches than a real person. And Morrison's Paradise Island, while beautiful detailed, doesn't really...offer anything. It's not an actual society, it seems like it's just there to tick off some checkboxes about "stuff Marston did." When Morrison writes Superman and Batman, I really get the sense that he loves the characters. When Morrison writes this, I still don't get the sense that he loves the character or the setting.

Overall I think it's kind of an interesting read, but I'd be surprised if it really snowballs any revolutionary interpretations of Wonder Woman, especially with the Batman v Superman version of the character still fresh in most readers' minds.

(Oh and she says "hola" way too much. Waaay too much. It's like, we get it okay, hola is a word that Golden Age Amazons said. Now please stop)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I just want a book about the punk rock amazons of New Sparta. And I do really love non violent Wonder Woman. I wish we'd get more of that.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Die Laughing posted:

And I do really love non violent Wonder Woman. I wish we'd get more of that.
You and me both. When I was little she was my favorite super-heroine and for that exact reason. When I see the modern-day version depicted as some kind of bloodthirsty warrior princess it really brings me down. :smith:

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

On that note, I read Wonder Woman Earth 1, and it's definitely very...interesting in that Morrison-y way. Sometimes it's very blunt and explicit about its meanings, other times it's rather dense and oblique. The art and designs are utterly gorgeous. I will say that, for whatever else, it reads like a very detailed, very passionate treatise on Marston's Golden Age Wonder Woman.

On the downside...I didn't really feel very engaged by the character or the world? She feels more like a collection of cliches than a real person. And Morrison's Paradise Island, while beautiful detailed, doesn't really...offer anything. It's not an actual society, it seems like it's just there to tick off some checkboxes about "stuff Marston did." When Morrison writes Superman and Batman, I really get the sense that he loves the characters. When Morrison writes this, I still don't get the sense that he loves the character or the setting.

Overall I think it's kind of an interesting read, but I'd be surprised if it really snowballs any revolutionary interpretations of Wonder Woman, especially with the Batman v Superman version of the character still fresh in most readers' minds.

(Oh and she says "hola" way too much. Waaay too much. It's like, we get it okay, hola is a word that Golden Age Amazons said. Now please stop)

I read it, and the only thing I'd disagree on is I'd say it's not even very interesting. He takes a handful of Marston stuff and checks it off (Purple Ray, Loving Submission, amazons in animal costumes for rituals), and then tells a decompressed and dull version of her origin that reads like a less action-y version of the animated film from a few years ago. Diana's characterization is very minimal, and she doesn't do much of anything. In Marston's WW this would've been an end of issue text piece following stories where Wonder Woman punches out a U-Boat commander and a backup where Etta Candy does something dumb. There's no energy in this story, it's all overly detailed good girl cheesecake that occasionally gets too photo reference-y.

It kind of feels like a critique of Perez's version, which focused more on Greek architecture and mythology and less on lipstick lesbians, but at the end of the day Perez's version of the character is far more relate-able.

And I always associated "Hola" with 70's WW, the amazons said it all the time for some reason. Maybe just because Perez got rid of it?

It also takes forever to go anywhere interesting, as the very end actually has her in costume and going to "man's world," again, a thing that's accomplished almost immediately in Marston's version because nobody cares what the origin of the costume is.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, there is Rucka's Wonder Woman: Year One coming down the pipe, so we have that to look forward to.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I liked the Hola! It made me think of Missy Elliott every time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

More people should be reading Legend of Wonder Woman. It's really good guys.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Last December: a spectrum of Deadpools.
Today: a rainbow of Harleys Quinn.

Made me chuckle, anyways. That's either pretty shameless, or somebody already halfway through planning this HQ arc in December saw Deadpool #4 and yelled "god damnit!"

e: Ok, I was unaware Harley's gang was a thing at all before this mini. I don't read any DC besides Constantine. Point still stands that it's gotta suck being beaten out of the gate with a similar idea.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 13, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Didn't the Harley gang start months ago in the regular comic?

e: Deadpool's gang's spin-off comic did beat Harley's gang's spin-off comic by a month.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 13, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's a really dumb title.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

Pretty much this. And if you want a quicker origin, Marguerite Bennett did manage to get a version published in Bombshells. One of the first 2 or 3 print issues is entirely a Wonder Woman origin, with a cameo from Mera (taking the Mer-Boy role, I've just realised)

I think it's just now very clear that Morrison's as obsessed with the Golden Age of DC as Johns is with the Bronze Age, to the point where both try to act like they're fine with stuff that came after while their actual work seems at best embarrassed and at worst disdainful.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

That's a really dumb title.

Everything involving Harley Quinn has been dumb as poo poo since 2009 or so

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

X-O posted:

It's really a shame that the writer is fairly certain at this point that DC won't be coming to request a sequel story from her, due to low sales. Which is kind of crazy since in March the 3rd print issue sold more than We Are Robin or Catwoman's 50th issue (which is pretty depressing on its own when the current awful Wonder Woman run's 50th issue sold over 30k.) For a digital first book that's pretty strong.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lotus circle posted:

It's really a shame that the writer is fairly certain at this point that DC won't be coming to request a sequel story from her, due to low sales. Which is kind of crazy since in March the 3rd print issue sold more than We Are Robin or Catwoman's 50th issue (which is pretty depressing on its own when the current awful Wonder Woman run's 50th issue sold over 30k.) For a digital first book that's pretty strong.

We've sold out of every printing of every issue. We literally can not get enough copies. Meanwhile I sell one copy of the core WW title off the shelf if I'm lucky.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Rhyno posted:

We've sold out of every printing of every issue. We literally can not get enough copies. Meanwhile I sell one copy of the core WW title off the shelf if I'm lucky.

Whoever that lone reader is needs to either start reading Legends, or just accept the current WW is a sunk cost at this point.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Welp

I wonder how much of this was planned or if is a byproduct of Rebirth.

In any case, another solid issue where Roy is the star and we get to know more about him and what it makes him tick. This panel in particular was really sweet

I always liked their relationship so is great to see Lobdell hasn't forgotten about them :unsmith:

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Bruce must be so proud.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Its been like five years since joker cut off his face and that thing is still in great condition.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Jason has completed his transformation into DC Red Skull as his mask can now furrow its brows. At this point, if the Red Hood artists can't resist the urge to give his mask a face, I kinda wish they would just ditch the mask and give Jason a red hoodie.

Also lol the loving 4 barrel gun.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Boy that Red Hood sure is quite the hero, what with killing a mentally unstable teenage girl and all.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Codependent Poster posted:

Boy that Red Hood sure is quite the hero, what with killing a mentally unstable teenage girl and all.

DC really knows it's core audience though you have to give them that.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

What if the mask is translucent enough to see facial expressions, perhaps as a metaphor for how Jason's emo desire to cut himself off from others is a see-through cry for help?
(I know, I know. Just spitballing.)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

To be fair, he tried his best to help her. Goign so far to get her checked by a psychiatrist and she rejected his help.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

10 years in Arkham would've fixed her right up.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Space Fish posted:

What if the mask is translucent enough to see facial expressions, perhaps as a metaphor for how Jason's emo desire to cut himself off from others is a see-through cry for help?
(I know, I know. Just spitballing.)
What, like one of these horrific things??

I'd rather the mask just look perma-pissed all the time. Like the Batfleck Cowl

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Semper Fudge posted:

10 years in Arkham would've fixed her right up.

Sure, in 10 years DC will have rebooted again and maybe we'll be lucky enough that Joker's Daughter ceases to exist as a character

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Jason is forced to murder an insane villain who he tried to redeem but failed" isn't a bad character beat.

"Jason does it while making a quip" kind of undercuts all of that.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

To be fair, he tried his best to help her. Goign so far to get her checked by a psychiatrist and she rejected his help.

I mean, if Jason thought one session with a therapist was all it should have taken and if he thinks JD relapsing/rejecting psychiatric help is a failure on her part, I don't think Jason should be offering psychiatric help to anyone.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

lmbo you're sick in the head

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DrProsek posted:

I mean, if Jason thought one session with a therapist was all it should have taken and if he thinks JD relapsing/rejecting psychiatric help is a failure on her part, I don't think Jason should be offering psychiatric help to anyone.

Was more Duela rubbing in his face that everything was a ruse actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Was more Duela rubbing in his face that everything was a ruse actually.

Yeah I know, that's my point though; if he's so upset by the fact a person he considered mentally ill wasnt responding to treatment and was even hostile to getting treated, he probably shouldn't have involved himself in the mental health/treatment of a mentally ill stranger to begin with. My point was you can't say "to be fair he tried to help her" when he's so clearly lovely at it.