Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've played this for 2 days now, and I'm only finishing up the undead settlement thing but god drat this game is good

I played Dark Souls 1 but I only had m + kb, and I never tried dark souls II

actually having a controller makes an amazing difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
So I grabbed the torch and managed to uh, set the church on fire. Does anyone know what exactly this does? It's gonna bite me in the rear end later isn't it?

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
Well that's a new feeling for me. Dark Souls 3 actually got me into invading myself. And despite my general lack of skill and the short amount of time, I somehow managed to go through most if not all PvP "experiences" such as:
- Actually winning an invasion "properly" rather than having host die before I get to him
- Winning with help of another dark spirit
- Fighting a 3v1...
- ...and actually winning sometimes
- Getting seeded
- Driving a host to pull the internet cable
- Having a host jump off the nearest ledge to avoid fighting
- And a 3v3 chaos of colors megafight
Guess I need some hatemail and then my journey to the Dark(wraith) side will be complete :P

That aside - does anyone have a clue what's with the fiery glow on host's chest here? Some article of clothing? A buff? Graphical glitch?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Tallgeese posted:

I'm not sure if he means it stops the pickup dead, or if he means you can't invade someone with a lower reinforcement level (which you can't within reason).

The former would be best by far. The latter I would not bet on to save the unwary, since it has to be stored on your character data somewhere...

Weaponlevel matchmaking of 0-10, 5 can match with 3-7, etc, passwords ignore that and SL so we need to see if we can get a lowbie goon to unwittingly pick up a +10 weapon in a passworded co-op round.

Einwand posted:

Well if you still don't have one, I've got seven I'm probably never gonna use, I think I can give you one with the password summoning whatever?

I'm on PS4, might be able to bag one from another goon in a few hours if you like most people are on PC

Malek Deneith posted:

That aside - does anyone have a clue what's with the fiery glow on host's chest

This game's Second Chance, say you're at 50 health and you eat an attack that would have killed you, you stay at 50 health but the buff goes away

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 372 days!
Pontiff Sulyvahn :stonklol:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

MrLonghair posted:

Weaponlevel matchmaking of 0-10, 5 can match with 3-7, etc, passwords ignore that and SL so we need to see if we can get a lowbie goon to unwittingly pick up a +10 weapon in a passworded co-op round.

It's a good idea, honestly; please run that test.

You can probably edit what the game thinks your max reinforcement is to whatever you want to screw whoever you want if From didn't think ahead.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Firelink got so depressing all of a sudden in a single trip back.

Some masked lady said I "helped" Yoel and now he's dead, the thief won't even sell me anything because he's sad, the crestfallen analogue is just gone along with the guy who gave me the cracked red eye orbs, I made the blind failed fire keeper read a scary book and to top it all off, the reason I came back: to explore the tower that I could finally afford the key for contained a catacomb of dead fire keepers, one of whose souls I made mine stick inside her.

I just wanted a break from that awful swamp, I'm sorry guys...

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
So I think I'm a bit under halfway through the game, and I've been rocking the Claymore more or less exclusively since I got it. I really like its attack animation / range / decent speed / etc. but I'm a strength build and at this point I have 30 str and the low scaling is somewhat troubling.

Is there a similar option with better strength scaling? Should I consider "heavy" infusing a Claymore?

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Malek Deneith posted:

- Driving a host to pull the internet cable
- Having a host jump off the nearest ledge to avoid fighting

I am guilty of both of these (except I just Alt+F4d) because some of the people invading currently are complete asshats. All the guy did was back/run away when I engaged him... only to show up if I ever tried to actually tried to move forward in an area. I really wish there was a system to time out phantoms or something if they basically refuse to do it properly.

I understand this is "part of the game", but gently caress me if it's not the most annoying poo poo ever. If you're going to invade people, fight it out. Don't just run 20 yards away, and stare waiting for me to do something.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Tallgeese posted:

It's a good idea, honestly; please run that test.

You can probably edit what the game thinks your max reinforcement is to whatever you want to screw whoever you want if From didn't think ahead.

From what I've read (not tested it) when you drop a reinforced weapon in a passworded game it gets reset to a +0/whatever reinforcement level the host is at(?) weapon if the host picks it up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sicarius posted:

I am guilty of both of these (except I just Alt+F4d) because some of the people invading currently are complete asshats. All the guy did was back/run away when I engaged him... only to show up if I ever tried to actually tried to move forward in an area. I really wish there was a system to time out phantoms or something if they basically refuse to do it properly.

I understand this is "part of the game", but gently caress me if it's not the most annoying poo poo ever. If you're going to invade people, fight it out. Don't just run 20 yards away, and stare waiting for me to do something.

Some people really embrace the "be a dick" part of invading. It's kind of reinforced by the invasions prioritizing people who already have phantoms summoned, so it's unlikely that you, as a single invader, will get a reasonable fight out of any given invasion. So, people are using the environment, trying to lead hosts into traps, all that stuff. It might be different if it was more likely that you'd get a one-on-one instead of a three-on-one situation as an invader.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What spell or item is it that causes the screen to go blinding white when you look at a person using it? It's really annoying and really funny.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Jade Mage posted:

30 kills of intruders in the watchdogs bags you the greatshield the sword is a boss soul weapon of the abyss watchers past farron keep. The sword has a default greatsword moveset with the front flip dunk and one handed spin as stance attacks

Today I spent 5 hours walking around with a flashing wolf symbol, got summoned 0 times. Ember/not embered doesn't seem to make any difference. Am I alone in this? Other covenants summon me just fine... I want my wolf board!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I'm at the Undead Settlement do I have to fight that giant tree boss or is there a different place I can go to?

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Harrow posted:

Some people really embrace the "be a dick" part of invading. It's kind of reinforced by the invasions prioritizing people who already have phantoms summoned, so it's unlikely that you, as a single invader, will get a reasonable fight out of any given invasion. So, people are using the environment, trying to lead hosts into traps, all that stuff. It might be different if it was more likely that you'd get a one-on-one instead of a three-on-one situation as an invader.

I was all by myself just farming chunks. Again, this would be greatly alleviated if it would time people out after... I donno... 5 minutes?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm at the Undead Settlement do I have to fight that giant tree boss or is there a different place I can go to?

There's another way to go, but kill the boss anyway.

quote:

I love purple pallin' it up against a host then seen a red phantom show up. We both just stop and turn towards the red and go to town.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

punk rebel ecks posted:

Fight the boss but the real way out is take the elevator down instead of up to the giant

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

sicarius posted:

I'd say it depends on the situation. If the host is alone then yeah most likely I'll just straight up try to fight him. But if the host has an entourage of phantoms with him then gently caress that noise. I'm not there to keel over. I'll do everything I can to even the odds.

The first of the two quoted situations was something like that, run into typical 2v1 situation (typical, heh, typical is 3v1 to be honest) that was promptly joined by a blue. So I used monsters as my shield whittling them down until there was just host. We fought for a while but when he (presumably) run out of estus he fled and disconnected. The host jump was on the other hand a hilarious situation because it was a 3v1... reversed. Me, another red and a mound maker chasing a fleeing host, cue Benny Hill music.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

punk rebel ecks posted:

Go to church and meet a new friend and a relative of an old friend. :3:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Toiwat posted:

No bird, pickle-pee and pump-a-rum are not words. :colbert:

You can't tell a bird drunk from a thousand worlds' worth of siegbrau what to do.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Caidin posted:

Find the ashes in the undead settlement, give them to the merchant lady in firelink, then buy a key off her that opens a door in the sewer area before hammer guy. The statue to velka is down there.

Thanks, I would have never known what that did. Too bad it cost 23k souls.

While I farmed those souls up, I managed to get around him and complete all the poo poo behind him. By the time I had 23k souls I didnt need to get past him anymore so I decided to spend it leveling up, then I went and owned him.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The key to the grave is 1500, the other key is for something around Firelink.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is the Astora Greatsword bad and/or Refined scaling bad?

I have 21 in both STR and DEX, and my sword is +4 Refined but I just caught up on Lobos Jr's run and he's doing comparable damage with just a Broadsword and 28 STR, and as you can imagine that's quite a bit faster and uses way less stamina. :sigh:

e: It's a really bad idea but my first char has "of Astora" in their name so I figured I could use the sword for maxxxximum roleplaying.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 13, 2016

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
So, just to confirm,

This Dancer boss across the way from the first boss (the woman called him "dog"?) is NOT the next one to go for right? I went after the tree balls dude instead, after many defeats at the hands of Boney McLongsword over there.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

There's another way to go, but kill the boss anyway.

Should I be able to kill that boss at this point of the game?

It's kind of takes a while to hurt him even after he falls down to the underground area.

I'm a level 20 Pyro.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Go to church and meet a new friend and a relative of an old friend. :3:

yea

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

punk rebel ecks posted:

Should I be able to kill that boss at this point of the game?

It's kind of takes a while to hurt him even after he falls down to the underground area.

I'm a level 20 Pyro.

Yeah you should be able to.

quote:

This Dancer boss across the way from the first boss (the woman called him "dog"?) is NOT the next one to go for right? I went after the tree balls dude instead, after many defeats at the hands of Boney McLongsword over there.

You probably shouldn't.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 13, 2016

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

killstealing posted:

Today I spent 5 hours walking around with a flashing wolf symbol, got summoned 0 times. Ember/not embered doesn't seem to make any difference. Am I alone in this? Other covenants summon me just fine... I want my wolf board!

If you upgrade a weapon to +4 it puts you in the second-tier matchmaking group which seems to kill wolf bro covenant function. It was pretty nonstop for me at +3 but those days are now behind me

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Philthy posted:

Answering my own question. It appears they got rid of the soul memory for scaling, which is pretty awesome. Instead it looks like you need to be -/+ 10 levels to summon a sign, AND within -/+ 2 weapon upgrade levels.

This is cool because I am basically farming souls that I don't need to spend by playing co-op constantly until I want to actually level up and move on. I can do co-op for years at the beginning game and have 1,000,000 souls and still be able to see and help noobs.

Do you get souls for doing like sunbro stuff? What kinda coop gets you souls

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Malcolm XML posted:

Tree boss coop owns

He's just a loving pain to take down normally but absolutely trivial with 2 people

it's funny cuz me and another buddy were helping a third bud do it and kept getting stomped.

i beat it first try solo despite using 4/5 estus on the first phase. second phase you just have to run around until he stands up, get on his left side, and whack on the arm when he's on the ground.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wow, the Catacombs is such a fun area and then the boss is a lovely gimmick :smith:

EDIT: Who am I supposed to give this dark pyromancy tome too?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 13, 2016

Toastymcfly
Mar 21, 2008
So this is my first souls game I'm trying to go through completely blind, and man does it add so much to the game. It's frustrating but when you figure things out yourself it's very rewarding. I'm having an absolute blast and definitely addicted.

First question, are bosses easier this time around? I just beat vordt my first try in like 30 seconds. He... Didn't really do anything, It was pretty anticlimactic for how crazy he looked. Not trying to brag or maybe I just got lucky, but it didn't really feel like the same kind of souls adrenaline most bosses give you.

Also, what's with all the bloodstains in the giant room with Emma ? Without spoiling it if possible should I attack this person for great rewards or just leave it?

My tried and true strategy of being a bitch and lobbing fireballs from max distance is working well so far! Digging the new system with weapons arts.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just as you guys are talking about it, it seems I have an invader who's hiding. It's been close to 30 min now and I can't proceed because he's somewhere. Thanks, From.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's funny cuz me and another buddy were helping a third bud do it and kept getting stomped.

i beat it first try solo despite using 4/5 estus on the first phase. second phase you just have to run around until he stands up, get on his left side, and whack on the arm when he's on the ground.

i think i added you on steam? probably?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Eonwe posted:

i think i added you on steam? probably?

ks/killstealing stole my name for dark souls. i'm shawnwilkesbooth on steam and in ds3.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Wow, the Catacombs is such a fun area and then the boss is a lovely gimmick :smith:

For a major boss he was incredibly easy. I guess if you don't figure out the gimmick it could be tough, but it's so very obvious that you can do it accidentally. Beat him first try without any issues.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Your Computer posted:

Just as you guys are talking about it, it seems I have an invader who's hiding. It's been close to 30 min now and I can't proceed because he's somewhere. Thanks, From.

If someone's being a dick and playing hide and seek for 30 minutes, I really would just quit out of the game and move on.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

DeathSandwich posted:

If someone's being a dick and playing hide and seek for 30 minutes, I really would just quit out of the game and move on.

I would hide in a bush or soemthing and then just go do something else for a bit.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is Tree Boss optional or mandatory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

would assume optional as it's at a dead end.