Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

ks/killstealing stole my name for dark souls. i'm shawnwilkesbooth on steam and in ds3.

cool thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Brag post: Beat Abyss Watchers first try.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is Tree Boss optional or mandatory?

Optional but you need to beat it in order to make weapons/equipment from boss souls

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Saw a bunch of Sunbro summon signs in front of some empty ruins, said "what the hell" and summoned them. We Sunbro'd our way to beating the Crystal Sage on the first shot, thank god for AoE heals.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Going by the placement, he's optional.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do the drops etc reset on new game + ? I stupidly ate a few early boss souls and now I can't get a few items and possibly trophies this play through.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Your Computer posted:

Just as you guys are talking about it, it seems I have an invader who's hiding. It's been close to 30 min now and I can't proceed because he's somewhere. Thanks, From.

Lol what are you doing just get on with the level whats the worst that can happen, you die!?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Why do you guys keep calling bosses that do things besides run at you like Artorias and flip around and hit you with a sword "gimmicks" huh
Bosses aren't required to honorably duel you 1v1 to be valid

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
I got Solaire's armor. I'm disappointed to see that it makes my character look fat as hell. I made my guy huge and buff but not fat. What the hell

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

voltron lion force posted:

Lol what are you doing just get on with the level whats the worst that can happen, you die!?

Probably has a fog wall blocking progress

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

He literally can't proceed because fog walls will prevent you from leaving an area with an invader in it.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's optional but it's how you get boss soul items

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
What the... I thought areas that you could be invaded at always had to have a corresponding boss door?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man I wouldn't mind dying to the Firelink sword guy so many times, but the loading screen fog barrier at the shrine's exit makes it really frustrating.

I'm thinking I should have put this on my SSD.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Eonwe posted:

Do you get souls for doing like sunbro stuff? What kinda coop gets you souls

all of it

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I literally can't go anywhere because everything is walled off with fog walls and I can't sit at a bonfire/homeward bone. Guy obviously went AFK somewhere but the levels are huge so there's no chance I'm finding him. That's kinda why that stuff is a problem, not because I'm afraid of dying (what?)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

neato

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

one of my friends is playing a souls game for the first time and is 2 bosses ahead of me with less playtime

I think...... I think he might be cheating, what do you think goons?

cool crystal sage bug report

summoned my friend to superstomp this boss. turns out if you deal too much damage before phase 2, phase 2 doesn't happen. No bosses in the area. Not the invincibility glitch just no enemies and the boss at 1/4 health.

bonus: this was at primetime last night so the servers were fucky. I get invaded 10 seconds into the boss fight (probably extreme lag), but because there wasn't a boss to kill and I was invaded I couldn't quit the game normally. Alt-F4 was my only way out :wtc:

I'm loving it

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Your Computer posted:

I literally can't go anywhere because everything is walled off with fog walls and I can't sit at a bonfire/homeward bone. Guy obviously went AFK somewhere but the levels are huge so there's no chance I'm finding him. That's kinda why that stuff is a problem, not because I'm afraid of dying (what?)

That sucks and is stupid. Being afraid of dying to an invader is why some people roll off a ledge instead of fight tho

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

turtlecrunch posted:

Why do you guys keep calling bosses that do things besides run at you like Artorias and flip around and hit you with a sword "gimmicks" huh
Bosses aren't required to honorably duel you 1v1 to be valid

Catacombs boss effectively has a time limit where if you don't do the right thing quick enough, he uses an attack that's impossible to dodge. That's absolutely a gimmick.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Optional but you need to beat it in order to make weapons/equipment from boss souls

All boss souls or just him?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

All

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

All of them

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Your Computer posted:

kill yourself

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Internet Kraken posted:

Catacombs boss effectively has a time limit where if you don't do the right thing quick enough, he uses an attack that's impossible to dodge. That's absolutely a gimmick.

A gimmick?

Or a challenge?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I finally had my first crash! I was shooting the dragon in Lothric with arrows and as it roared it screamed so hard it crashed the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Steve2911 posted:

A gimmick?

Or a challenge?

Well to be a challenge it has to be hard :v:

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Steve2911 posted:

Man I wouldn't mind dying to the Firelink sword guy so many times, but the loading screen fog barrier at the shrine's exit makes it really frustrating.

I'm thinking I should have put this on my SSD.

just kick him off the ledge and then quit / reload and pick up your prizes.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So I learned by a friend telling me and then soon after by accident that Bloodborne-style visceral attacks are in the game. I ripped into a giant crab's egg clutch. I'm still not sure how I did it. :stare:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Internet Kraken posted:

Really? I guess I've never been that slow killing it then because I've never seen that...

... :smuggo:

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I'm pretty underwhelmed with spells in PVP. I've played to about level 40 as a pyromancer. I've been dividing my points more or less even between faith and int and I've found three extra tombs to vary abilities. I've also been experimenting with faith skills and mage spells. It seems like the spells that are hard to dodge don't do much damage and the ones that are very easy to dodge don't do much more than a swing from a melee character around my level.

I find the PvP aspect of this series to be my favorite part of the game, but DSIII sticks out as being the first in the series where I just can't make spells work for me. They're decent enough in PvE, but really the only kills I've gotten in PvP are through the environment. Could someone offer me some advice apart from restarting as a melee character? Or is that really my best option?

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

So I learned by a friend telling me and then soon after by accident that Bloodborne-style visceral attacks are in the game. I ripped into a giant crab's egg clutch. I'm still not sure how I did it. :stare:

They're triggered by doing a shitload of poise damage, frostbite helps too

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I got summoned to help a dude with the Ducks of the Deep and he was frozen mid-toast and levitated through the fog door in toasting position. Me and the other phantom just had to sit on the outside of the fog door listening to the fight and occasionally stabbing an add that came up to see what all the fuss was about. woops

ufarn
May 30, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

Uhh well in that case check the wiki page for Anri of Astora. After you beat the final boss (don't touch anything), USB back up your save if you are on console. On PC idk if you can...

Genocyber posted:

You can't do that. The trophy Master of Rings requires that you collect every ring, including the +1/+2 variants of some rings that only show up in ng+1 and ng+2, respectively.
Alright, thanks, guess I won't have to worry about it this game that one.

Who is the girl I can touch/ignore, and what happens? I assume the former involves pissing off the nasty dude guarding her, but beyond that minor complication.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 13, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Boomstick Quaid posted:

They're triggered by doing a shitload of poise damage, frostbite helps too

That makes sense. I did whack on it several times in quick succession until it happened. I guess I was just in the right spot at the time.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Is the Astora Greatsword bad and/or Refined scaling bad?

I have 21 in both STR and DEX, and my sword is +4 Refined but I just caught up on Lobos Jr's run and he's doing comparable damage with just a Broadsword and 28 STR, and as you can imagine that's quite a bit faster and uses way less stamina. :sigh:

e: It's a really bad idea but my first char has "of Astora" in their name so I figured I could use the sword for maxxxximum roleplaying.

Anyone? :(

I hate how rare titanite is in this game, if the sword is indeed garbage then it's still the only +4 weapon available to me for a while since I've gotten all the Large Shards available in the areas I've been.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Anyone? :(

I hate how rare titanite is in this game, if the sword is indeed garbage then it's still the only +4 weapon available to me for a while since I've gotten all the Large Shards available in the areas I've been.

it has high base damage so the refined infusion messed it up i think

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Well, not understanding what I'm missing about the second boss the giant tree. Either my damage is terrible (though I'm doing fine with Fire Estoc +3 everywhere else), or there's some trick I'm not picking up on. I'm not able to see tells well enough for attacks, and even when I can, I can't seem to figure out how to properly dodge them. I've gotten the encounter to drop through the floor but that's at like 20% HP loss and I'm already burning through Estus by then.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Marogareh posted:

I'm convinced the thrall axe doesn't exist at this point. I've killed a million of those fuckers and they drop everything but the axe. I just want to Bloodborne it up :negative:

summon me and you can have it, one dropped at random for me with no effort :v:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's so dumb games come out on tuesdays!!! work seems so much longer!!! i'm so far behind everyone!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

WE ARE OUT OF VORDT LICENSE PLATES