Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

AugustusLove posted:

The Moto E I got for ten bucks seems to have a fine display. :confused:

That's what I paid for mine. I bought it for shits and giggle and could not care less about the screen. But I was responding to the guy, who said this

quote:

If I had to single out an important feature, it would be a high quality display.
The display is the opposite of high quality. It's loving plastic, not glass. Colors are washed out to poo poo, you only see solid black, once the phone is off. The touch response loving sucks, it will recognize me pushing the symbol selector key, but won't recognize the sliding motion that comes after. It also fails to recognize 2nd finger touch, or does it with significant lag. It's a brand new phone, 2 months old. I use it for GPS and other bullshit, so it's good enough.

Everyone has a different definition of "fine". but I'm holding it next to 2013 MottoX and the difference is night and day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I want to make sure I'm not an idiot on this but if I were to buy an s7 from Verizon without a contract and then throw a straight talk sim card into it I'd be able to use it after I have them do the transfer bullshit right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Luna Was Here posted:

I want to make sure I'm not an idiot on this but if I were to buy an s7 from Verizon without a contract and then throw a straight talk sim card into it I'd be able to use it after I have them do the transfer bullshit right?

It is unlocked and should have the right bands, so probably. You'll probably have to program it as well.

I would think you would be able to find a cheaper one than buying outright from Verizon? If anything, all the BOGOs are probably going to cause people to get extra S7s and then sell them online.

And FYI Verizon won't sell a phone without service. Sounds like you currently have Verizon, but just in case.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm switching carriers for the first time in 10+ years so I'm a little confused by the phone number transferring process. I was cancelling my service today and AT&T told me if I wanted to keep the phone number I had to get Cricket Wireless to request it before my service was cancelled. Is that true or were they just trying to get another month payment out of me? My new phone probably won't be here until next week so I can't set things up with Cricket Wireless until then.

It's not a huge deal if I lose that number, just curious to know if I should ask Cricket Wireless to obtain it or skip the hassle if it's not possible at this point.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you cancel service without starting new service prior, you'll lose your number. Is there a reason you can't use a Cricket SIM with your current phone?

I don't recall how AT&T does things, but I know some carriers will prorate your final month, but better to ask the AT&T thread.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Endless Mike posted:

If you cancel service without starting new service prior, you'll lose your number. Is there a reason you can't use a Cricket SIM with your current phone?

This probably would have been the smart thing to do, should have asked first. Adding my old phone to a new carrier and then switching a few days later sounded like more hassle than starting on a new carrier with a new phone.

A new number isn't a huge issue, as long as the one or two accounts I have with text message lockouts don't trigger before I can change to the new number.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It should literally be a matter of putting a Cricket SIM into your current phone (even locked AT&T phones will work), then swapping it to the new phone. Assuming they're the same SIM size (which I recognize might not be the case), it's much less of a hassle than telling everyone you have a new number.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Is there anything decent out for windows phones on Verizon? I know I can't do the 950, someone recommended me the Lumia Icon(120-170), but then I saw something about the Samsung ATIV SM-W750V (~90). Is the M8 still viable (~200). My wife really loving loves her Windows phone.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 1, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's really nothing worth getting. Everything out there is over a year old at this point, Windows Phone 8 is dead, and Windows 10 Mobile already looks like a dead-end.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
This is less about having the latest and greatest, and more about keeping my wife happy for a few more years.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gothmog1065 posted:

This is less about having the latest and greatest, and more about keeping my wife happy for a few more years.

Verizon doesn't have any good Windows phones.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

My Nexus 6 has met with a small (large) accident, and long story short I'm in need of a new phone. I'd like a Nexus so I can get a Nexus 6 for $600 (AUD) or a 5X for 650. Is the 5x $50 better (if it's better at all)?

Alternatively, is there something better I'm missing at around 6-700 AUD?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Phon posted:

My Nexus 6 has met with a small (large) accident, and long story short I'm in need of a new phone. I'd like a Nexus so I can get a Nexus 6 for $600 (AUD) or a 5X for 650. Is the 5x $50 better (if it's better at all)?

Alternatively, is there something better I'm missing at around 6-700 AUD?

Over the 6, the 5x has the smaller size, a working notification light, and a fingerprint reader. The 6 is marginally more powerful. If you were happy with the 6 and can't afford a 6P I'd probably get another 6.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

LastInLine posted:

Over the 6, the 5x has the smaller size, a working notification light, and a fingerprint reader. The 6 is marginally more powerful. If you were happy with the 6 and can't afford a 6P I'd probably get another 6.

Yeah, I loved the 6. I wasn't sure if the 5x was a significant enough upgrade, and while I'd like the fingerprint scanner it's not essential. Unfortunately the Australia Tax means that the 6P is $900, which is a bit far out of my price range.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is there a go-to US prepaid cell phone provider that I can buy a SIM and a small $$ of airtime (say $25) that doesn't expire in less than a year AND allows calls to Canada?

I am a Canadian and travel to the US periodically. I have an unlocked Moto G as my regular phone and would just like to buy a US SIM card and airtime for when I'm down south. Data isn't really important, just for voice. For calling hotels, checking in back home in Canada, etc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd recommend just asking the prepaid thread.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Been riding on a Sprint SERO plan for several years and I've been reluctant to give it up. But it's time

My wife and I need new phones and new plans. We use a bit of data. Don't talk terribly much. Text a lot. We live in North Texas (DFW).

Sprint has stopped delivering my texts and phone calls reliably (I get notifications of either up to 12 hrs after the fact). She's on an ancient AT&T plan with 200MB of data per month that she's constantly overaging. Anything would be an improvement.

What should we get?

Thanks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You should get two 128GB iPhone 6S+'s and an 18 GB plan on Verizon.

Or you should offer some suggestion of a budget so we have some parameters.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
There is no budget. I'm loving loaded.

But I currently pay $140/mo for our two lines plus overages (usually another $10/20 a month)

So suggestions that exceed that amount would probably get ignored. Unless the carrier suggested would actually deliver my texts and connect my incoming phone calls. Then I might be persuaded to pay more.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Ferret King posted:

There is no budget. I'm loving loaded.

But I currently pay $140/mo for our two lines plus overages (usually another $10/20 a month)

So suggestions that exceed that amount would probably get ignored. Unless the carrier suggested would actually deliver my texts and connect my incoming phone calls. Then I might be persuaded to pay more.

Verizon would be $120 for two lines and 12GB + 4GB bonus, plus phone costs. You could go down to 6GB and save $20.

ATT is $130 for 15GB plus phone costs.

Both of the above deliver text messages. Especially if you are loaded.

What phones are you looking for? Verizon will offer a $100 extra per smartphone trade in. Both Verizon and ATT are offering a Buy one Get One on the Samsung S7. ATT will likely give you a blow job if you sign up for direct TV.

Cricket uses ATT and is $40 a line for 2.5GB each, $50 a line for 5GB (so $100 for 10GB). You have to buy the phone outright, no financing.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
We have android phones currently (an S3 and an S4) so that S7 deal might be a great way for us to go. I've always heard good things about Verizon. Thanks.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Hi, I want to get a dual-sim phone for my UK wife who needs a UK phone number/all that entails at the same time as also having a US phone and would prefer to quit carrying around two mobile phones.

I'm looking at the oneplus x ( https://oneplus.net/x ) and wondered if anyone here had it/could answer:

Are both sim cards active at the same time? She wants to be able to just text the correct country's people using the correct sim card without having to switch mode or whatever. (Mostly it's so she can be always receiving texts/calls from both sides.) Seamless is what I'm looking for.

Also, if you have two sim cards in does that remove the ability to have a SD card as well? Looks like the slot on the tray is either/or but possibly it's both, but it's not clear.

Thanks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure it's either/or.

Also, don't buy a OnePlus.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Most dual SIM phones come with dual stand by, meaning both cards are active at the same time so both can receive calls and texts. You never really need to switch SIM modes or whatever, but whenever you make a call or send a text it will ask you which SIM you want to use to make that call/text.

As for Dual SIM and SD card, yeah that phone with both SIM won't let you use a sd card, unless you're willing to mess around with the card and SIM and glue one to another and hope the phone will read both. If you want dual sim and micro sd slot, you have to find a phone with a dedicated slot for it, which is harder than you think, as most will just use the SIM slot 2.

Huawei's Honor 5X has dual SIM and dedicated memory card slot, though I'm not sure if it's selling already in the USA.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

Hi, I want to get a dual-sim phone for my UK wife who needs a UK phone number/all that entails at the same time as also having a US phone and would prefer to quit carrying around two mobile phones.

I'm looking at the oneplus x ( https://oneplus.net/x ) and wondered if anyone here had it/could answer:

Are both sim cards active at the same time? She wants to be able to just text the correct country's people using the correct sim card without having to switch mode or whatever. (Mostly it's so she can be always receiving texts/calls from both sides.) Seamless is what I'm looking for.

Also, if you have two sim cards in does that remove the ability to have a SD card as well? Looks like the slot on the tray is either/or but possibly it's both, but it's not clear.

Thanks!

I don't know about that phone but windows phone works very well with dual sim cards. The Lumia 640 or 640xl are pretty cheap (extremely so in the usa).

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

Electronico6 posted:

Huawei's Honor 5X has dual SIM and dedicated memory card slot, though I'm not sure if it's selling already in the USA.

Yeah it's up on Amazon already http://amzn.com/B019O8YWXE

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the info, phone-knowers. I'll check out the Lumia stuff as she's a longtime nokia junkie.

e: Appears that is not a nokia, thought they were still doing Windows Phone stuff.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 8, 2016

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Country/Provider: USA

Current contract status: About to kablam with AT&T, don't care because they're poo poo

Budget (phone/plan): 45 bucks a month, with maybe ~100 initial dump to get a phone if I gotta

Features I know I want: Iphone 4s or better

Help me IYG Kenobi, you're my only hope

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

Country/Provider: USA

Current contract status: About to kablam with AT&T, don't care because they're poo poo

Budget (phone/plan): 45 bucks a month, with maybe ~100 initial dump to get a phone if I gotta

Features I know I want: Iphone 4s or better

Help me IYG Kenobi, you're my only hope

Hopefully you don't hate ATT enough to be ok with cricket, the prepaid bastard child of ATT. $40 a month ($35 with auto pay) for 2.5GB of data. Assuming you have an ATT phone, you actually could use it. Otherwise, a good cheap phone is the Moto G.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I actually currently have a 4S, but it's uh, in quite bad shape. So a new phone is something I'll be needing.

Also I'll be moving to Seattle in a few months, if that matters.

ComradeKane
Oct 3, 2010
Does anyone know about Walmart's supposed $100 off Iphone 5 SE? Seems to be on all the deals-type websites but the Walmart I went to didn't even carry the SE.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Have 2 phones part of a AT&T group share that I am ready to bail on once the phones are paid off, which is next month. Currently paying $140/mo for my share.

With 2 5GB lines and autopay on cricket, would my total cost be $95/month? Are they my best bet to bring my AT&T phones to?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Meta Ridley posted:

Have 2 phones part of a AT&T group share that I am ready to bail on once the phones are paid off, which is next month. Currently paying $140/mo for my share.

With 2 5GB lines and autopay on cricket, would my total cost be $95/month? Are they my best bet to bring my AT&T phones to?

Looks like the best bet to me.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Budget: Preferably under $700.

Carrier: AT&T

Hey all! I'm thinking of switching from iPhone to Android. Currently I have an iPhone 5S, and my carrier is AT&T. The problem is that my home button is broken (as in sometimes I press it and it doesn't work, other times it does, but most of the time no), so I'll need to switch soon. I've had my eye on the customizability of the Android for a while, and now that my iPhone is on the verge of death I figure it's time.

I hear people really like the Galaxy S7, but would it be a good first Android to start off with? The price is intimidatingly high. Would it be worth it to get an older phone instead, like the LG G4 or the Nexus 5X? Or are they so degraded that it's better to get one of the new phones?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Akarshi posted:

Hey all! I'm thinking of switching from iPhone to Android. Currently I have an iPhone 5S, and my carrier is AT&T. The problem is that my home button is broken (as in sometimes I press it and it doesn't work, other times it does, but most of the time no), so I'll need to switch soon. I've had my eye on the customizability of the Android for a while, and now that my iPhone is on the verge of death I figure it's time.

I hear people really like the Galaxy S7, but would it be a good first Android to start off with? The price is intimidatingly high. Would it be worth it to get an older phone instead, like the LG G4 or the Nexus 5X? Or are they so degraded that it's better to get one of the new phones?

I'd recommend a Nexus as they will be your best experience with Android as an ecosystem. The Nexus 5x or the Nexus 6P would be the ones to get.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Akarshi posted:

I'd recommend going somewhere like a Beat Buy and playing with a Galaxy S7/Edge and a Nexus 6P,they represent the top of the line in Android right now. The S7 is bleeding edge, while the 6P is more reasonably priced.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
The HTC 10 looks really good.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
The USB/charging port on my ATT Galaxy S5 is broken. I have to use an external charger and swap batteries every day. I have the mobile insurance with AT&T still but haven't used it because my phone is rooted and haven't had the time to unroot/reset it.

Is $100 worth the deductible and hassle to get it replaced, or is there a way to cheaply fix this myself? It just seems lovely to pay $100 on a 2 year old phone that is worth like $150 on ebay.

edit: oops this isn't really the right thread for this question

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Meta Ridley posted:

The USB/charging port on my ATT Galaxy S5 is broken. I have to use an external charger and swap batteries every day. I have the mobile insurance with AT&T still but haven't used it because my phone is rooted and haven't had the time to unroot/reset it.

Is $100 worth the deductible and hassle to get it replaced, or is there a way to cheaply fix this myself? It just seems lovely to pay $100 on a 2 year old phone that is worth like $150 on ebay.

edit: oops this isn't really the right thread for this question

Just FYI usually a broken port is just not repairable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirt1981
May 6, 2006
Country/Provider: USA(New Jersey) / sprint

Current contract status: no contract

Budget (phone/plan): currently on the sprint unlimited plan for $75/month.

Thinking about upgrading my HTC m7. Not really unhappy with sprint, but since I'm are upgrading I was wondering if there are any better carrier/plans out there.

I work outdoors and stream music/podcasts while I work so my data is usually 20+gb per month. Talk and text are each below 500 per month.

Should I stick with my current plan or would another carrier suit me better?

As for phones, I figure any current generation phone would be an upgrade right?