Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

My Imaginary GF posted:

Excuses. You're clearly able to type --- organize some project proposals, make connections, start an org, and offer him a placement.

Step two is a bit of a fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

El Hefe posted:

Somewhere dirty

I imagine if someone from a first world country came here and drank our tap water they'd get the shits for a week

Late, but I've spent two months and a half out of the last seven in Venezuela and have only had the shits once, and it wasn't from the water - I guess I have an allergy to acaí and related plants (e.g. seje). I work in the Puerto Ayacucho area, and we get our water from big, 25 liter bottles from a local distillery. In Caracas I'm in the IVIC (AND I NEVER LEAVE THE IVIC unless to go to Maiquetía) and the water has seemed fine to me.

poo poo is hosed though, I'm not looking forward to our last round of fieldwork in January 2017. They closed the Mercal in Pto. Ayacucho this week, and although totally dysfunctional, that place was like a lifeline for many people. I envision starvation.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

What is Venezuelas current situation in international money market? Can the government still borrow money or has that ship sailed?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Vlex posted:

Late, but I've spent two months and a half out of the last seven in Venezuela and have only had the shits once, and it wasn't from the water - I guess I have an allergy to acaí and related plants (e.g. seje). I work in the Puerto Ayacucho area, and we get our water from big, 25 liter bottles from a local distillery. In Caracas I'm in the IVIC (AND I NEVER LEAVE THE IVIC unless to go to Maiquetía) and the water has seemed fine to me.

poo poo is hosed though, I'm not looking forward to our last round of fieldwork in January 2017. They closed the Mercal in Pto. Ayacucho this week, and although totally dysfunctional, that place was like a lifeline for many people. I envision starvation.

Yeah I mostly mean tap water or the one delivered by trucks, at least where I live tap water is super dirty and if you let it sit for a while you can actually see the dirt depositing at the bottom of the glass/bottle/whatever.

fnox posted:

I'm leaving this year for Sweden, this August actually. I'm trying to find a job that pays in dollars, and well, I'm trying to get the funds to be somewhat comfortable outside. There is no hope for this country, chaos is coming, and it's inevitable.

good luck bro and yeah this country's situation is helpless, there's no hope.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

BeigeJacket posted:

What is Venezuelas current situation in international money market? Can the government still borrow money or has that ship sailed?

Venezuela's primary lender at the moment is China, and I'm not sure that they are willing to continue throwing Maduro lifelines. Venezuela owes China about $45 billion, but it makes some of those payments in oil.

Back in February, Maduro asked China for an extended grace period on the repaying of a loan that was due, but the Chinese government refused. Things aren't exactly rosy in China either, so the news came as no surprise.

As for monetary institutions like the IMF, well, they are :argh: capitalist, oligarchical organizations that deal in debt-slavery and imperialism :argh:, and I'd be more shocked if a PSUV government borrowed money from them than if Maduro resigned tonight.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
our international reserves are also in a nosedive

https://twitter.com/jesuscasique1/status/719715587451195392

there won't be any money left next year

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

El Hefe posted:

our international reserves are also in a nosedive

https://twitter.com/jesuscasique1/status/719715587451195392

there won't be any money left next year

Who needs money when you've got a Minister of Urban Agriculture suggesting that people in cities start raising their own chickens for food , and Maduro gunning to make Venezuela "a fishing powerhouse"?

There's food, like, all around you dude! Like, in nature and stuff!

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
How long until they start advising people to eat stray cats and dogs I wonder

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

El Hefe posted:

How long until they start advising people to eat stray cats and dogs I wonder

Or baking mud cakes...

fnox posted:

I'm leaving this year for Sweden, this August actually. I'm trying to find a job that pays in dollars, and well, I'm trying to get the funds to be somewhat comfortable outside. There is no hope for this country, chaos is coming, and it's inevitable.

Good Luck, make sure you learn a good deal of Swedish as soon you can: Nordics may be well-versed in English, but showing interest in learning their language make them more open to socialize and make contacts (and ironically, coming from the experience of some friends dedicated to intercultural missions, you actually have better chance of making friends when you meet them while you're between the "Tarzan" and "Clown" phase of improving your language skills). Also, locate other Venezuelans that share similar plans to yours in the city you're going to be and help each other: just because we're not as nationalistic as other Latinamerican communities doesn't mean we shouldn't try sticking together in hard times (it gives you an easier time renting a place).

Other than that, I'm honestly envious: if I hadn't been shackled by College (and I'm still), both myself and my mother would've jumped at the suggestion of my cousin of spending a few months bunking at her home on Atlanta while collecting dollars via menial jobs...
Now, I have to steel myself with my internship, a few short assignments and my thesis, and then take the slow path of working as a programmer in a tiny local company with ties to a Mexican HQ and hope not to drown in the nation's despair while ensuring (with as many pushes as needed) my Sister can get out by next year.

AstraSage fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 14, 2016

fnox
May 19, 2013

AstraSage posted:

Good Luck, make sure you learn a good deal of Swedish as soon you can: Nordics may be well-versed in English, but showing interest in learning their language make them more open to socialize and make contacts (and ironically, coming from the experience of some friends dedicated to intercultural missions, you actually have better chance of making friends when you meet them while you're between the "Tarzan" and "Clown" phase of improving your language skills). Also, locate other Venezuelans that share similar plans to yours in the city you're going to be and help each other: just because we're not as nationalistic as other Latinamerican communities doesn't mean we shouldn't try sticking together in hard times (it gives you an easier time renting a place).

Other than that, I'm honestly envious: if I hadn't been shackled by College (and I'm still), both myself and my mother would've jumped at the suggestion of my cousin of spending a few months bunking at her home on Atlanta while collecting dollars via menial jobs...
Now, I have to steel myself with my internship, a few short assignments and my thesis, and then take the slow path of working as a programmer in a tiny local company with ties to a Mexican HQ and hope not to drown in the nation's despair while ensuring (with as many pushes as needed) my Sister can get out by next year.

I would seriously recommend bailing out my dude, I was in college too, on the last semesters, I am continuing in Sweden, but my main priority is to not be here by the end of the year because everything seems to be going straight to hell in a handbasket quite quickly. I am learning Swedish in any way I can, at least so I'm not completely clueless once I land there

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

AstraSage posted:

Or baking mud cakes...

Dude, if you've got programming skills then you should be freelancing online and saving up money to leave. I mean, I'm making a somewhat decent living just working with WordPress sites and doing tech-related articles for a couple of sites and I'm a college dropout. As long as your English is good and you've got a Paypal account, there's nothing stopping you from earning multiple times more than what any Venezuelan firm could pay you in bolivares.

Sure, it may not look as good on your resume as working for an established company, but as long as you put together a decent portfolio you should be able to find work once you do manage to leave.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Labradoodle posted:

Dude, if you've got programming skills then you should be freelancing online and saving up money to leave. I mean, I'm making a somewhat decent living just working with WordPress sites and doing tech-related articles for a couple of sites and I'm a college dropout. As long as your English is good and you've got a Paypal account, there's nothing stopping you from earning multiple times more than what any Venezuelan firm could pay you in bolivares.

Sure, it may not look as good on your resume as working for an established company, but as long as you put together a decent portfolio you should be able to find work once you do manage to leave.

Alright, three reasons I'm not bailing out College like I should have done three years ago:
  • I'm already on my last year as a Computing Sciences Major, on a faculty known for having a curriculum which leads to have barely ten graduates per semester out of a starting student body of 200 (And a lot of the Dropouts jump straight to Engineering for an easier time) but said graduates end up be sought out internationally. It's an excellent title to have on a resume, and I don't need too much to finish it.
  • I much I want to go freelance (even though I'm quite sub-par on the implementation department), I know I'm really gonna need the professional experience of working with a team and what better than to do it with one in the little Venezuelan OpenERP-oriented firm that can and has sent some of its members for training outside the country, whether it's Panama, Mexico or the States.
  • Both myself and my Family has already invested a lot (and not just economically) in my Academic Career going through these years, and I've lived through enough College Teachers Strikes. It's become a matter of honor: I didn't swim as far as I did just to lay dead on the shore.

Also, I have a bit of an aversion of using Paypal to earn funds from non-tangible services: it's something one develops from watching an Animator Cousin's Local Team getting scammed of a $1500 gig by an extra-cocky Argentinean employing the deposit equivalent of Paying $50 with 2 cents coins and abusing the heavily buyer-oriented reimburse policies to revert all those deposits in a way that could not be disputed. When the day comes where I have to go freelance, I already have a very trusted friend of the family that allowed me to store the profit in his American Bank Account until I have enough to open and transfer it into a International Account for my family.

AstraSage fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 14, 2016

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

AstraSage posted:

Alright, three reasons I'm not bailing out College like I should have done three years ago.

Oh no, I didn't mean to suggest that you drop out. Just keep in mind that if things get tough a little freelance work can get you out of hot water considering the exchange rate.

Either way kudos for sticking it out, I'm sure you'll pull through.

fnox
May 19, 2013

If you're talking about the UCV, it's bullshit. It's nothing but bullshit. Nobody cares that you graduated from the top university in the country, because the country is now something like Somalia. That's what people are gonna see, that's what people are gonna read, where your passport is from.

It's not worth it, at loving all. If you have any work experience, and you are an actually good programmer, then bail.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

fnox posted:

If you're talking about the UCV, it's bullshit. It's nothing but bullshit. Nobody cares that you graduated from the top university in the country, because the country is now something like Somalia. That's what people are gonna see, that's what people are gonna read, where your passport is from.

It's not worth it, at loving all. If you have any work experience, and you are an actually good programmer, then bail.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the USB due to his comment on how little people actually graduate.

I understand your position man, good luck. But Labradoodle is right, working as freelance for a pittance to the person that's hiring you is still a lot of money in Venezuela.

I'm working as a programmer here in Spain and I have 0 college education. Obviously having a title means you have a better chance of a great job and not just a code monkey, but I'm doing well and I'm a self learned coder.

Venezuela has always placed way too much importance on titles. Outside, a college education always helps but it is still very possible to be a professional without the official studies.

Not only that but you CAN continue your studies somewhere else. You might lose a year but at any moment Venezuela is going to explode.

Hell one of my best friends dropped at the final year of computing sciences to go work at Costa Rica and he's doing fine.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

I was talking about Universidad de Carabobo, and I stand my ground on not bailing.

Besides, I honestly am not the one I care the most to see off the country first: That'd be my elder sister, who's having a harder time as a Dentist, but she's doing things like waiting the start of an internationally-certified Dental Assistant course because she's that passionate about her career and keeping doing it outside...

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I'm really amazed any of you Venezuelans posting here have stuck it out this far. You all speak flawless English so you must be well educated / from the middle/upper middle class (at least, back when enough money existed to differentiate classes besides "political elite" and "everyone else") so you could probably get admitted to a lot of countries, e.g. Canada, without too much trouble. For those of you not still in university, is it because of the indignity of fleeing your motherland to live in a foreign country as an economic refugee, or is something else keeping you there? It sucks to leave your country to the thieves and trap the poor and uneducated inside, so props to any of you if you're still working hard and doing your jobs, but drat I know I wouldn't be able to handle it.

A close friend of mine is Panamanian, and she runs a high-end shop there and they hired 3 Venezuelans recently. The last hire has a university degree (though not in anything relevant to what the shop does), but they pay him like $250/mo to watch their parking lot, which has spots for like 6 cars, but even that sounds like a pretty good deal. I've heard the Panamanian government is are clamping down a lot on it now too, since "they're taking our jarrrbs!"

Saladman fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 14, 2016

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Yeah, not a Venezuelan myself, but I have a friend from a few years back who now lives in Rubio. Middle-class background and never ever dreamed of leaving - right up until her husband was shot and killed following a mugging a few weeks ago. Now she's doing everything possible to move to Spain within a month.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Saladman posted:

I'm really amazed any of you Venezuelans posting here have stuck it out this far. You all speak flawless English so you must be well educated / from the middle/upper middle class (at least, back when enough money existed to differentiate classes besides "political elite" and "everyone else") so you could probably get admitted to a lot of countries, e.g. Canada, without too much trouble. For those of you not still in university, is it because of the indignity of fleeing your motherland to live in a foreign country as an economic refugee, or is something else keeping you there? It sucks to leave your country to the thieves and trap the poor and uneducated inside, so props to any of you if you're still working hard and doing your jobs, but drat I know I wouldn't be able to handle it.

A close friend of mine is Panamanian, and she runs a high-end shop there and they hired 3 Venezuelans recently. The last hire has a university degree (though not in anything relevant to what the shop does), but they pay him like $250/mo to watch their parking lot, which has spots for like 6 cars, but even that sounds like a pretty good deal. I've heard the Panamanian government is are clamping down a lot on it now too, since "they're taking our jarrrbs!"

This. I spend a lot of time in Colombia and Panama, and locals talk about how the influx of Venezolanos driving taxis in places like Panama City, Bogotá, and Medellín. (Evidently, all the cabbies in Caracas used to be Colombian; now it's reversed.)

quote:

It sucks to leave your country to the thieves and trap the poor and uneducated inside,

How about hearing from people who've never set foot in Venezuela that you're a fascist for thinking your country is falling apart?

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Tigey posted:

Yeah, not a Venezuelan myself, but I have a friend from a few years back who now lives in Rubio. Middle-class background and never ever dreamed of leaving - right up until her husband was shot and killed following a mugging a few weeks ago. Now she's doing everything possible to move to Spain within a month.

Jesus, that's horrible.

Saladman posted:

Well, I'm a college dropout who's been freelancing for a while now. Despite the country's situation, I've managed to build a decent client list doing work that I enjoy and pays decently, but I want to grow it a little more before moving to either Chile or Argentina. I figure that if I've stuck it out this far, an extra six months or so won't kill me, that way I'll be able to save some money for the first months, leave a cushion for my mom, ensure that I'll make enough to send back home for her and not be forced to work doing something that I hate.

I sincerely admire the people that take that leap without knowing what kind of work they'll be able to find where they arrive, but as far as I'm concerned, Chavismo has already hosed up almost two decades of my life, all I want is to get out on my own terms.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Son of my grandmother sister ran a small restaurant and got murdered in broad daylight to take the register, they didn't ask, he didnt get a chance to say yes or no, just murdered, brother of my grandmother called crying he is starving.

And i see people avoiding moving to a 1st world country on this thread to finish college in that hell hole, at this point if i was in venezuela i would just get the gently caress out regardless of what i dropped out of or what was left behind

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
A couple of recent developments:
  • The opposition has tried four times now to submit the paperwork to the Consejo Nacional Electoral (CNE) to get the recall referendum process started against Maduro. Each time, the CNE has rejected the paperwork on one technicality or another. Earlier this week, the opposition handed in the paperwork for the fourth time, and the CNE said then that they would announce a decision on Thursday. Thursday came and the decision was... that they are going to wait until next week to make the decision. At this point, it's patently obvious that the CNE is stalling the process because it is squarely in the pocket of the PSUV.
  • Maduro just declared Monday, April 18th a holiday in order to save electricity. Tuesday is a holiday already (it's the anniversary of something or other), and you'll remember that every Friday until June 6 has also been declared a holiday, also with the goal of curbing electricity use. In other words, Venezuelans have a five day weekend starting tomorrow. The government's energy strategy is to force people to not use it. Makes sense, right?

AstraSage posted:

I was talking about Universidad de Carabobo, and I stand my ground on not bailing.

As a perpetual student, I understand your sentiment. It seems like this is a very personal matter to you, so I can see why you're so set on seeing it through to the end.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
We are also going back to our regular GMT-4 timezone starting May 1st

I guess lowtax won't have to update the database to give us Venegoons a -4:30 timezone after all...

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Celexi posted:

Son of my grandmother sister ran a small restaurant and got murdered in broad daylight to take the register, they didn't ask, he didnt get a chance to say yes or no, just murdered, brother of my grandmother called crying he is starving.

And i see people avoiding moving to a 1st world country on this thread to finish college in that hell hole, at this point if i was in venezuela i would just get the gently caress out regardless of what i dropped out of or what was left behind

Dude that's horrible, I'm sorry. Where did that happen?

If you guys need to send money his way I might be able to hook you up with the person I use to deposit € and get BsF sent. She's a friend that's got the connections with the people that do that and they haven't let me down yet. Even sending 100$ their way is a lot of money, let me know if you need it.

As for Venezuelans leaving the country I have to say that I do understand the apprehension. I married my GF and left, but my aunt was receiving us (even if eventually we didn't get along) so we had that figured out. We did arrive in Spain with almost no money (2k $) and no job, and it was hard as balls even with my aunt's help.

But we did manage to pull trough. Still, leaving your loved ones behind feels terrible and not being able to visit when our grandmas died was pretty hard for us. I understand Venegoons not being sure about leaving the country because being forced to go back must be impossibly hard. Again, I'm always up for helping any Venegoon that comes to Spain (at the very least answering their questions and pointing to them how to take care of the bureaucracy)

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I wish there was a way to set up some kind of charity or non profit to help people who want to emigrate from Venezuela.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Thing is its really hard to go somewhere if you don't have a skill. If any of you have experience in carpeting, bricklaying or electrical work you could probably get a spot in Scandinavia pretty easily but you have to speak near perfect English to get by.

I live and work in Iceland right now and it's pretty friendly to skilled workers and in part unskilled labor too (though mostly polish, I do know a guy from Cuba though so Spanish isn't out of the question).

But yeah as sad as it is i recommend abandoning your homeland too :(

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
7 newborns died yesterday in a single hospital in Barcelona after a blackout...

Absolute misery

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
:cry: Poor babies.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
So even if Maduro is ousted right now, what can be done about the electricity issue? It sounds like it's a problem of not enough rain or alternative sources; the former is out of human control and the latter doesn't have any quick fix, I think.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

HisMajestyBOB posted:

So even if Maduro is ousted right now, what can be done about the electricity issue? It sounds like it's a problem of not enough rain or alternative sources; the former is out of human control and the latter doesn't have any quick fix, I think.

They started projects but then stole all the money and now there's no money or time to fix the electric grid anyway, we can only hope it starts raining.

Less than 10 years ago we were selling electricity to Colombia and Brazil...

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Hoping for the rainy season to begin soon is pretty much the only recourse at this point, other than instituting extreme rationing. At the current rates, the Guri, which generates roughly 70% of the country's electricity will fall below the level at which its turbines can operate safely. In fact, we've already dipped below the recommended level, which means that at the moment there's a big risk of some of them incurring heavy damage. During the past few years, we supposedly imported a bunch of thermoelectric plants, but they're still operating at merely 10% of capacity since some shady poo poo went down with those contracts.

Aside from that, the price of electricity should be incremented in order to discourage wasteful use, which is unlikely to happen for the moment or if it does, it'll most likely be a meaningless increase, same as with gasoline.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
The wind turbines in Falcon are the best example, inaugurated in 2006 they were supposed to produce 100 megawatts but today only produce 8% of that.

http://elcooperante.com/parque-eolico-de-paraguana-otro-elefante-rojo-que-quedo-para-fotos-de-turistas-en-falcon/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

El Hefe posted:

The wind turbines in Falcon are the best example, inaugurated in 2006 they were supposed to produce 100 megawatts but today only produce 8% of that.

http://elcooperante.com/parque-eolico-de-paraguana-otro-elefante-rojo-que-quedo-para-fotos-de-turistas-en-falcon/

If 100 megawatts is the so called "nameplate" capacity, they were never going to consistently produce 100 megawatts consistently to begin with - that's just the maximum they can possibly produce in ideal conditions.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
They have never produced any more than that though.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Minimum wage equivalent in dollars since Maduro took over until now

https://twitter.com/NTN24ve/status/721333606728118272

fnox
May 19, 2013

Guri dam levels are still sinking. By the end of April we will have reached critical level, and that means that the dam won't be generating any more electricity.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
They are going to use it as an excuse to close the CNE because they can't work without electricity so they can stall even more.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

El Hefe posted:

Minimum wage equivalent in dollars since Maduro took over until now

https://twitter.com/NTN24ve/status/721333606728118272

So you are saying Maduro quadrupled the minimum wage? :haw:

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

beer_war posted:

So you are saying Maduro quadrupled the minimum wage? :haw:

You joke but that is EXACTLY what they say. Keep in mind that the "official" exchange rate is 9.95 bsf to a dollar.

Yes that's a difference of 1130 bsF between the official exchange rate (which you can't really use except under very specific and limited circumstances) and the real exchange rate of dollars on the Venezuelan frontier.

By the official exchange rate our minimum wage is of 1165 $ which is the highest in latin america. Maduro has made us all rich!

No wait you make 11k Bolívares and a package of 20 hot dogs costs 4.5k (just got a picture of that from a friend with the caption "so I'll never eat hot dogs again!"). Still, in make-believe land we're super rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Out of curiosity, how is the Venezuelan military handling itself in the middle of all these problems? Are they still getting paid, getting the goods they need, and so forth? Are they staying on the sidelines as the government fights within itself, or have officials started to engage in partisan rhetoric?

Just curious, because I find it kind of :psyduck: that we haven't heard murmurings of coups and whatnot (not that they would be a good thing), or calls for such, in the face of the situations barreling down onto the Venezuelan people. But maybe I'm wrong about that?