Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Ugh, even tempted to do an 11-pull on Relm. Two excellent single-target physical SSBs and an excellent healing SSB makes for a pretty drat good banner. But I'll probably just be indecisive until they fix the error. :(

Double Rabite posted:

I am tempted to do 19 more pulls so I can achieve a “Winning the lottery” level of (bad) luck.

There is a certain bitter satisfaction in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
3 pull on the Relm banner got me Relm's SSB. What exactly is the difference between her SSB and Yuna's Hymn of the Fayth? Relm's is just stronger all around or something?

Also, after that I came here and saw people talking about Valiant Knife hype or something so I did a 3 pull on FFT and got nothing worth mentioning. (Though I can't really complain too much, since that banner's been pretty good to me so far.)

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

3 pull on the Relm banner got me Relm's SSB. What exactly is the difference between her SSB and Yuna's Hymn of the Fayth? Relm's is just stronger all around or something?

Yeah, the medica is stronger. Curaga instead of Cura.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

2 single pulls on Relm 1, no joy.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How are people getting mythril quickly enough to do multiple pulls during events? I'm lucky if I get two pulls during an event, and that's just because of the recent events making GBS threads out mythril like no tomorrow.

SmokingFrog0641
Oct 29, 2011
I fell for the hype train.

6 3*s. :suicide:

I'm probably still foolish enough to try for one last 3 pull before the end of the banner since I only have 1 of the 5 character relics.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

You know what must be done. :colbert:

This doesn't answer anything! :sludgepal:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Randalor posted:

How are people getting mythril quickly enough to do multiple pulls during events? I'm lucky if I get two pulls during an event, and that's just because of the recent events making GBS threads out mythril like no tomorrow.

Most people don't have all their elites cleared. The daily dungeon reset gives everyone a good chunk of mythril to tap into, too. On top of that, I know a fair number of people are actually pulling with gems instead of mythril.

Me, I saved up all my mythril for about three months to get enough to pull as much as I did on the SSB/FFT banners and am only getting enough for more pulls from the 10 mythril per event and the daily dungeon mythril prizes.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Randalor posted:

I had gems "In the bank" for lucky draws, but the inclusion of Valiant Knife on relm 1 made it top quality for me and my needs, so I went for it, will just have to sac a lucky draw or two in the future. Also sacrificing basch banner. Plus I had 50 myth since I'm still not done story dungeons and did some of those.

I needed a heal medica or a big fuckoff physical SSB or something decent for a machinist char, and now I have two of those three. And if our "Tyro's Choice" thing comes and is the same, I can get a non-regen medica one from that if it comes to that.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 13, 2016

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Randalor posted:

I saved up for along time and showed restraint during SSBS and Tactics, so I had over 200 left afterward. Was going to save up for Basch and Kuja but oh god so tempting.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

I had gems "In the bank" for lucky draws, but the inclusion of Valiant Knife on relm 1 made it top quality for me and my needs, so I went for it, will just have to sac a lucky draw or two in the future. Also sacrificing basch banner. Plus I had 50 myth since I'm still not done story dungeons and did some of those.

I needed a heal medica or a big fuckoff physical SSB or something decent for a machinist char, and now I have two of those three. And if our "Tyro's Choice" thing comes and is the same, I can get a non-regen medica one from that if it comes to that.

I'm not sure where your need for a machinist SB is coming from really, is that because you want one or am I miss a meta shift towards machinist that's coming up?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

^^Wasn't a major thing, but still think it will be useful when I need to afflict things. It wasn't anything I was going to chase, so this was a good time to get something.

Now uhh...about Thief's Revenge. Is that worth honing now? Or is it now not worth honing since I have access to the knife's SSB? How does it work? I figured that having good soul breaks for those characters meant hone those skills. But then I see on Reddit they say that means don't hone the skill and put the orbs toward something else. Cause those 5* abilities are best used to sub for character types you lack good SBs for.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 13, 2016

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007

Beasteh posted:

Discord chat is going crazy right now with a bunch of people pulling on FFT and getting Valiant Knife, like 4 people just got it

Might be worth throwing a few mythril in before they catch it??

Hahaha just single pulled Valiant Knife, thanks for the heads up!

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Those stamina shards that cost 100,000 Chocobo Weeds are hilarious. What's even the point? If you're already at the stamina cap, 1 extra point isn't going to matter much. And just one shard costs the equivalent of 50 Greater Orbs, or 5 Major Orbs (I guess Major orbs will cost a little less when they become temporarily available right)... so 25 Major Orbs for 1 extra point of stamina. Regardless, you know some whale is going to make it their goal to be the "FIRST" one to do it on reddit or something. There's always someone.

Also, hooray for TERROR BALTIMORE geting summon abilities in the patch. RAIDEN OF MIST is going to get destroyed again at Breakdown

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Samba De Amigo posted:

Doesn't it though? Doesn't it?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I tried a couple three pulls on FFT on my alt...gently caress this banner. gently caress this banner. gently caress. THIS. BANNER. I'm finished pulling on it and I'll have to be happy with the Spellbinders and Chameleon robe I pulled on my main. loving hell DeNA really wanted people to whale out on it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

A-hu-hu-hu :neckbeard:

Broke down and pulled. WORTH IT.

Although god drat another loving FFX armor.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Welp you just won the game. Godly medica and hyper godly burst damage SB.

Take Shadow with lifesiphon/ace striker to a VI elite with shout, armor breakdown, full break and hand of the emperor. Enjoy 24x 9999 as fast as his ATB can fill.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I did another pull on FFT and ended up getting Agrias's shield. Now the only FFT relic I haven't gotten is the Platinum sword and I face a tough choice.

Right now my squad is:
Tyro with SG (Wall)
Gilgamesh with Faithful Companion (High Regen)
Butz with Trueblade of Legend (def boost)
Ramza with Tailwind (Medica + protect)
Lenna with Flames of War (Hastega + Boostga)

Do I drop someone to try and fit Agrias into my party? The extra damage reduction seems pretty hilarious... I also have her Defender.

Edit: The best I can come up with is replace Bartz with Agrias. The mitigation from Cleansing Strike probably offsets the loss of easy def up. And her SBS are 3 and 4 hits so I wouldn't be losing out on TOO much damage from Trueblade... Thoughts?

Geocities Homepage King fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 13, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Can any 5* knights use guns? I have a bunch of guns for FF13 synergy but very few characters I'd consider using at this point other than Lightning. Maybe Balthier for certain things.

Randalor posted:

I've spent the last several days burning through story dungeons to get caught up (still got a lot to go, I'm only 134 stamina max atm) which was the bulk of my recent 11-pull. The mythril from Relm's event and the daily dungeon reward reset also helped. I've spent around 550 mythril on the FFT banner though, but considering the game-changing results it was worth it. My squad of Locke/Agrias/Ramza/Lightning/Tyro can do disgusting amounts of damage now and that's without using a HotE RW, which takes it from massive to hilarious overkill. I'll probably make some Mighty Guard(VIII) friends so that I can have Agrias drop Shellga for Saint's Cross as backup damage, and the RW would give me a source of heavy regen (which is why I wanted the Genji Blade for Greg).

Samba De Amigo posted:

Well if you pull it can't be any worse than your last one was, right? :smuggo:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

A-hu-hu-hu :neckbeard:

Broke down and pulled. WORTH IT.

Although god drat another loving FFX armor.

You had this luck coming!! :)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Lechtansi posted:

whats the priority for spending greens anyways? Save up for the stamina shards? Burn it on MC2 lodes for past ones we missed? Mythril?
mythril should be first priority, if you miss one it's essentially gone forever once the shop refreshes stock. MC Lodes are less crucial because there are only so many that you'll need anyway, missing a week won't matter in the long run. Everything else is there forever

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I'm just going to hoard my greens for mythril and for whatever nice prizes come out. Or if maybe I need like one or two extra orbs for a hone. Stamina shards seem like a total waste and trap.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Did 3 pull on Tactics and got 3 3*s, yay

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kawalimus posted:

Now uhh...about Thief's Revenge. Is that worth honing now? Or is it now not worth honing since I have access to the knife's SSB? How does it work? I figured that having good soul breaks for those characters meant hone those skills. But then I see on Reddit they say that means don't hone the skill and put the orbs toward something else. Cause those 5* abilities are best used to sub for character types you lack good SBs for.

Thiefve's Raidvenge and You

"How does Thief's Revenge work?"

Consider Thief's Revenge to be a multi-hit Steal HP. You smack the enemy for a certain number of 70p hits (so .7x your normal attack damage) and heal 30% of the damage dealt. How many hits does it deal? Well, it scales based on your Thief's Speed stat, making it the one thing a Speed stat is actually useful for. At 139 speed or lower, it does a single hit and is literal trash. At 140 speed, and every 10 speed after that, it gets an extra hit, capping out at 5 hits/170 speed. This is, naturally, a big deal, since 5x 70 potency hits comes to 350p, making it one of the better single target damage skills out there - especially since it's not hindered by the damage cap. (For the record, a full-power Thief's Revenge is 10p stronger than a neutral-resistance unboosted Saint Cross, and far less likely to have cap issues, and you know how much people have been hyping Saint Cross.)

For the record, Locke hits 170 speed at Lv72 (or Lv62, with realm synergy). Since he's the only Thief 5 with an MC2 right now, he's the only one who can currently use it to its full potential outside of his home realm. That will change when more thieves get their MC2, of course.

"Is Thief's Revenge worth honing if I have the Valiant Knife?"

Well, that depends entirely on how your team is set up. Valiant Strike is 8x 100p hits (so 800 potency total, equal to Blasting Zone), except its power goes up exponentially as Locke gets lower on HP. Thus, if you're trying to optimize damage, you want to fire it off when he's at lower health to get the most bang out of the SB. Naturally, the HP recovery portion of Thief's Revenge doesn't agree very well with this. To some people, that just means you can let him get to lower HP more often, since he has a way of self-healing effectively. To others, it means you're undoing your damage boosts for much lesser burst damage. It's up to you whether the interaction between "self-heal skill" and "SSB gets more powerful at Low HP" is a good synergy or a bad one. Plus, there's the fact that if you have Valiant Strike, your Locke may just be spending literally all his turns Lifesiphoning anyway, so who cares what your other skill is.

Really, it depends on your playstyle and team loadout. It's not a bad skill, and even if Locke can't make use of it, some other characters will be able to in their home realms, or with their MC2s - Yuffie, Rikku, and Faris, to name a few.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 13, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Kawalimus posted:

I'm just going to hoard my greens for mythril and for whatever nice prizes come out. Or if maybe I need like one or two extra orbs for a hone. Stamina shards seem like a total waste and trap.

As someone who's still clearing Elites I see potential in buying one when I hit 4 shards and tap out on stamina, rather than wasting gems/mythril.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
I broke down for another 11 pull on Tactics and got my 3rd Grand Armor.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Tactics hype got me to do another 11 pull. Ice rod and ffvi Thunder rod. Guess I got a medica for cid's missions so I'll take it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I have a bunch of orbs and never made a spell. What should I go for, exactly? I've been pretty much running 5 physical because that's where all my 5 star weapons are.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Thiefve's Raidvenge and You

"How does Thief's Revenge work?"

Thanks, good info. I'll play around with my new toy a little before deciding what I want to do.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tae posted:

So I have a bunch of orbs and never made a spell. What should I go for, exactly? I've been pretty much running 5 physical because that's where all my 5 star weapons are.

Get the healing and defensive spells - Curaga, Protectga and Shellga - if you haven't already. If you have the spare orbs, R2 Diaga's a decent punch for your healers.

After that, if you're going for an offensive spell, Waterga/Waterja are good ones to start with, since Water's a rarely resisted element and Waterga/Waterja have a shorter cast time. Thundaga/Thundaja's a good next choice since lots of things are weak to Lightning. Then probably Ice, then Fire. Bioga/Drainga are rare as weaknesses but also have the benefit of rarely being resisted as well - useful for things like late FFIV dungeons.

Summons just got a buff, so they're worth considering if you have enough orbs - we'll be getting the Summon Nightmare in about two months' time, so it's a long-term goal to shoot for.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 13, 2016

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Tae posted:

For black mages: fire, ice, and thunder are pretty useful against vulnerable enemies. It's nice to have at least 4 charges of the highest level you can hone (fire, fira, firaga, firaja). Blindga is good situationally as a relatively cheap substitute for blind shot.
For white mages: at least 4-6 charges of the highest level cure you can hone (cure, cura, curaga, curaja). Esuna is situationally useful, although those situations are less common than I expected. Protectga/shellga are invaluable, but also possibly too expensive if you're relatively new.

As you get more advanced or face battles requiring specific statuses you can craft spells specific for that purpose (tempo flurry/slowga, wind and water attacks, etc)

. For AoE attacking, ruinga is king. For AoE cures, get weapons/armor with shared/unique SBs that do that, cause there are no medica spells to create.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Decided to chase the easy Valiant knife with the spacebucks I was planning on using for Palom/Porum and struck GOLD JERRY, GOLD.

2nd Kaiser shield
2nd Platinum Sword

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

djfooboo posted:

Decided to chase the easy Valiant knife with the spacebucks I was planning on using for Palom/Porum and struck GOLD JERRY, GOLD.

2nd Kaiser shield
2nd Platinum Sword

I loving hate you.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

djfooboo posted:

2nd Kaiser shield
2nd Platinum Sword

That ain't gold. That's...Platinum :smug:

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

djfooboo posted:

2nd Kaiser shield
2nd Platinum Sword

Must. Resist. Urge. To Whale. (More.)

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
After much thinking, I have come to the conclusion that Agrias now basically just threw Cloud off a cliff and took his place.

At least until the next FF7 event (next event!) has me throw him back in.

RIP Cloud, you were a mainstay on my team longer than anybody else.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So do I have to wait to level up a white mage, because I don't see Hasteaga or Curaja on the magic menu creation.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Just used Valiant Strike for the first time native. And yes...oooh yes I can get behind this.

Can't wait to kick Chadarnook's teeth in.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

djfooboo posted:

2nd Kaiser shield
2nd Platinum Sword

I blame you for the fact I just did an 11 pull on Tactics and only got three loving 4*s and a bunch of 3*s. :negative:

• Locked thread