Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I beat naked katana man by spamming lucerne's spin-to-smash combo, then backstep attacking when I ran out of FP.

I was getting frustrated with the cool dog knight at the end of undead settlement, so I ran past him... to find out there's a bonfire right there! Then I beat him by abusing the fact that he can't go through the door, and got his cool sword.

Then I used that sword to go destroy the big fatty patrolling the one place in Lothric's wall, and the crystal dragon at the start.

Then I noticed there was a guy sitting on one of the thrones in firelink and gave him a thing, and now I have the Mirrah greatsword to work towards using (I also found the clothes minus the helmet).

A Good Day in Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Haven't really found anything to convince me to drop the starting longsword yet. Normally I like to go for big fuckoff slow weapons in souls, but since every monster in this game is apparently on fast forward, that may not be so viable. I tried fighting with a slower weapon for a little bit and gave up after I was getting the majority of my swings interrupted before they could connect.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
If anyone's wondering, Hollowing caps at 99.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

Watch the video I posted above. It's advantageous to stay hollow and continue the quest line.

If you cure your hollowing after giving the Fire Keeper the Fire Keeper Soul, can you still continue the quest line? Or do you have to hang onto your Dark Sigil(s) right up to the ending?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'll check that out when I'm not at work, and I've spoiled myself on lots of things so I knew it was coming, which was why I was sure not to take him up on it, but I'm just more curious now as to how/why it looks like I'm hollowing when I specifically avoided that option. Welp.

It's soot, when you kill enemies it gets all over you. It's been happening the whole game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So have any of you used the twin brigand daggers to good effect? I wanted to try them but my results with them were underwhelming. They didn't seem to do nearly as much poise damage as even the thrall axe. Which was a big deal, since it meant enemies I could normally chain stagger were able to hit me and interrupt my combo.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

lets hang out posted:

It's soot, when you kill enemies it gets all over you. It's been happening the whole game.

:downs: If that's it then...

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Thoughts on what to level up? I was thinking Dex, Vigor, Endurance, and Luck. I wanna use Dex based weapons this game since I used Strength in DS2

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

what makes you say this

All the recent posts. Not my personal experiences. I find it hard to believe there arent a few faith scaling weapons, or that the broadsword seems to be pretty popular rather than some obscure unique etc. Im just honestly curious.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I SAY AGAIN do enemies respawn indefinitely?

Also, when you reach Anor Londo! :D :D it seems the two black knights that come from the top of the steps cant cross over the bridge onto the steps/elevator with the lever, meaning you can stand back and cheese them with ranged attacks. Or thats whats happening on my game anyway

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I'm curious about this, too, because that weapon seems really good. I'm inclined to believe scary ghost dog's explanation, though, that making it refined and lowering its base damage is what caused it to be weaker.

It says the base damage and scaling damage on the infuse screen and by making it Refined the total amount is higher than un-infused.

While it's not nearly as cool, I switched to the Astora Straight Sword and now I'm absolutely wrecking everything. It poise breaks enemies more than the greatsword (what?!) to the point where I can stun lock most stuff to death. I did the Abyss Watchers on my first attempt after switching, the difference is staggering.

I'm wondering if the greatsword is just too slow/not staggering enough to be worth it. Maybe that's tied to its really low weight? Also wondering if DEX scaling is rear end in this game like DS2, which might be dragging down a quality build compared to a STR build.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

man usually when i summon a purple phantom i run with them to the next bonfire then let them kill me, but today they all just attack on sight.

also when people summon me as a purple they just attack me on sight as well. kind of pointless

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Capsaicin posted:

Thoughts on what to level up? I was thinking Dex, Vigor, Endurance, and Luck. I wanna use Dex based weapons this game since I used Strength in DS2

Leave Luck alone if you're not farming or if you're not planning on using Luck-scaling weapons. The drop rate increase isn't really worth the stats on its own, especially when you can respec to full Luck if you really want to farm something rare. Luck is for Luck-scaling weapons and bleed- or poison-heavy builds.

You'll probably want at least some Vitality because there are some heavier Dex weapons that are pretty cool and fun, but will tax your equip load if you're also wearing armor heavier than cloth.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

codo27 posted:

I SAY AGAIN do enemies respawn indefinitely?

Yes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
God dammit From of all the enemies to bring back you pick the fat demon statues? The most boring enemy in existence???

I wonder if they have more than one move now. Wouldn't know because when I tried to kill a satyr twisted my head off.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

lets hang out posted:

May or may not be. There's the soot effect, but there's also a definite thing where it just darkens your entire skin tone dramatically like a full body mega-tan after accepting that guy's offer, which is separate from the spotty soot patches. Not sure if that's intended or not, because it went away later. :shrug:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Hollowing doesn't make your skin black

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Philthy posted:

All the recent posts. Not my personal experiences. I find it hard to believe there arent a few faith scaling weapons, or that the broadsword seems to be pretty popular rather than some obscure unique etc. Im just honestly curious.

Most people are still in the early game, so they're talking about early-game weapons. And standard straight swords like the Longsword and Broadsword have always been popular as reliable, steady, versatile weapons--they just happen to be stronger than usual this time around, too.

There really aren't weapons that scale entirely with Faith. There aren't any that scale entirely with Intelligence, either. You can make weapons that scale with those by infusing non-boss/non-unique weapons, but that's it, and even then they'll do split damage (except with the Blessed infusion, which keeps the weapon pure physical but adds Faith scaling). There are plenty of weapons with inherent elemental damage that scale with Intelligence and/or Faith, but that damage is often lower than the physical damage and sort of secondary. There are at least two boss weapons with a lot of magic damage that buck the trend, but Faith doesn't really have anything like that, and both of those weapons still have some physical damage, too. Even the MLGS.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 13, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Internet Kraken posted:

God dammit From of all the enemies to bring back you pick the fat demon statues? The most boring enemy in existence???

I wonder if they have more than one move now. Wouldn't know because when I tried to kill a satyr twisted my head off.

Better than the dinosaurs in dark souls 1 that no one ever saw more than their feet.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Internet Kraken posted:

I think they're only there to let you know where you are, just in case you didn't get it. Winkwink, nudge, nudge.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Having trouble with Aldrich until I summoned LuckyDoj of the warriors of sunlight who floated around with no movement animation and was impervious to damage. I dont like cheating.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

summoning for bosses is cheating tho.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I just got the boss soul Soul of the Blood of the Wolf. Which sword should I get with it? I'm torn.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Groovelord Neato posted:

Dark souls is a coop game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've beaten one boss with a summon so far, and I felt bad about it. I'd summoned him because I was getting torn up by the NPC invaders in Road of Sacrifices and once we got past that I didn't have the heart to black crystal him out, so he fought the Crystal Sage with me. Probably would've been an easy fight without help but still :v:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Summoning for bosses without even trying them is cheating but then again people did ask for easymode.

Four whips in the game total and I wish they felt good enough ever to make a whip user build.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Cathedral loving rules. I love how the level design winds back on itself over and over.

Catacombs is terrifying, but in a very :darksouls: way and I love it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Best part about the game is helping people do boss fights.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Satorr posted:

I just got the boss soul Soul of the Blood of the Wolf. Which sword should I get with it? I'm torn.

Nevermind, I just saw the moveset for the Farron Greatsword and it looks like I can breakdance with it, so I'm sold.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

I've beaten one boss with a summon so far, and I felt bad about it. I'd summoned him because I was getting torn up by the NPC invaders in Road of Sacrifices and once we got past that I didn't have the heart to black crystal him out, so he fought the Crystal Sage with me. Probably would've been an easy fight without help but still :v:

Its an easy fight, but its also a really fun one. Reminds me of Ocarina of time's poe boss, but in souls form. :)

Tenzarin posted:

Yeah, I'm bouncing around doing a lot of sunbro co-op and invasions both. Super good times.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Boss rewards are way down too, you only get 3k for defeating the tree with a nutsack. Meaning you only get like 1.5k for helping coop. I like how they refill your potions for the coop but its still odd they dont refill after you win.

Myrdraayl
Apr 13, 2011
After 30 successful Mound-Maker invasions I can safely say that the 2nd tier reward sucks. The undead settlement is the best place to invade or be summoned and it is possible to fight 2 blue sentinels if the host lives for that long. Also one of the blue sentinel spots to be summoned is hilarious because it's in a corner right by the flaming tree and fat lady.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

I'm weird about it. I don't like summoning help for boss fights, but I love being summoned.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Trick for the 3rd boss that made it much easier for me:

after you make it break the floor, it has a very slow attack where it stands up and falls down. when it does, it's fleshy arm is vulnerable to damage. I could knock off a massive chunk of life at 0 risk when that happens. You can also get in a few swings at the end of it's ground smash>sweep>backwards smash combo when the arm drops down. Much safer than going for the central egg sac.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So... being new to this series I do not understand what covenants are or how to go abouts joining one. Could someone write up a quick explanation?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

agreed, jolly cooperation owns. but i must defeat them on of my own first or i haven't truly beaten the game.

Harrow posted:

I'm weird about it. I don't like summoning help for boss fights, but I love being summoned.

same.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Philthy posted:

That guys insanely retarded, there's a bunch of faith scaling weapons. Some from the world some from boss souls and then you can always stick a blessed gem in a regular weapon to turn it into a faith scaling one.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Groovelord Neato posted:

agreed, jolly cooperation owns. but i must defeat them on of my own first or i haven't truly beaten the game.

Gaben will personally check your play history and technically you arn't posting screenshots of you soloing it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Blessed infuse pretty well halves a weapons damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Putting this on the new page.