Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Etrips posted:

So... being new to this series I do not understand what covenants are or how to go abouts joining one. Could someone write up a quick explanation?

They're PVP or Co-op modes, which when you fulfil some requirement gives you a reward.

Sunbros make you gold, and your 'goal' is to help people kill bosses. Every 10 token you get for doing so, you get a free cool item.

Mound-makers want to pvp, but they're allowed to pvp anybody. You can kill other invaders OR the host.

Bluecops get summoned automatically to protect you if you're in the way of blue covenant, and they get rewards for killing invaders to defend you. But then they get kicked out if successful, unlike sunbros who can go all the way to the boss with you.

Joining: Find and equip the covenant symbol. They're scattered throughout the game.

Leveling up: Find the covenant's headquarters and turn in the token you get to get rewards, like an arcade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Etrips posted:

So... being new to this series I do not understand what covenants are or how to go abouts joining one. Could someone write up a quick explanation?

Covenants, in general, affect how you approach the multiplayer. They're easier to manage in this game than any other in the series, which is great. You "join" a covenant by finding the appropriate covenant item in the world and equipping it in your covenant item slot (it's next to the rings on your equipment page, the one with the diamond around it). You can change covenants at any time by just equipping a different covenant item.

Some example covenants are the Warriors of Sunlight. When you use a White Sign Soapstone to put down a sign for others to summon you to help, your sign is gold, and when you're summoned you're a gold phantom instead of a white one. When you help someone kill a boss, you get a Sunlight Medal that you can turn in at an altar for rewards. Or the Blue Sentinels--when someone who is in the Way of Blue covenant is invaded by a hostile player, there's a chance you'll be called to help them if you're wearing the covenant item. You show up as a blue phantom and get a reward for helping them defeat the invader.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

That guys insanely retarded, there's a bunch of faith scaling weapons. Some from the world some from boss souls and then you can always stick a blessed gem in a regular weapon to turn it into a faith scaling one.

There are a good number of Faith-scaling weapons, but none that are really pure Faith weapons, at least without infusing a normal weapon with Lightning or Blessed. And Blessed is very bad for offensive use--it takes a huge chunk out of the weapon's base damage and the Faith scaling doesn't really make up for it. It can be cool if you want to make your own Adjudicator's Shield, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
In DS3 none of the covenant symbols are rings. People need to stop referring to them as rings, you're going to confuse the newbies.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

In DS3 none of the covenant symbols are rings. People need to stop referring to them as rings, you're going to confuse the newbies.

I coulda sworn the Way of Blue one was. I guess I didn't look at the icon closely enough.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I just found out you can attack on ladders. This is a gamechanger (Press R2 for down, R1 for up)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pope hat is the height of fashion souls :catholic:

Harrow posted:

I coulda sworn the Way of Blue one was. I guess I didn't look at the icon closely enough.

Sheepskin parchment ;)

Its natural to think of them that way coming from the other souls games, but FROM was good and made sure to separate them from keys entirely since they're a different slot.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Am I supposed to be fighting the knight right after the Dragon fire in the first area? I can't even get a hit in right now.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
on one hand im happy the red eye orb is back

ototh oh god every person i invade gets a blue cop buddy and they have a coop buddy as well game is hard

i need better burst or a way to just keep the host from rolling away and chugging poo poo

e: also im never getting any hits for the sentinals and only uh, like 3 for the wolves.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:siren: Just realized you can press R3 to make the menu go out of the way when equipping armor for better fashion souls :siren:

Jonny Nox posted:

Am I supposed to be fighting the knight right after the Dragon fire in the first area? I can't even get a hit in right now.

He's pretty tough early on. You can fight him, but its also entirely possible to sneak around him if you're clever.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

You can beat him, or you can run past him. They're tough but they're still normal enemies in that area.

--

The swamp is amazingly confusing I keep finding more treasure and have no idea where I am

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why the gently caress do the knights in the catacombs oneshot me from full embered health? Nothing else here does damage anywhere close to that. Of course they loving respawn too.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man, choosing a straight sword is hard.

The Astora Straight Sword would be an obvious choice because of ~RP~ but I just got a Darkwraith sword and a Lothric Knight sword. Both are longer, and I'm pretty sure the Darkwraith sword does more damage than the Astora. It also looks pretty anime, while the Lothric is like a prettier version of the Astora.

And the Astora has a FTH requirement?? I easily cover it (gotta have enough faith for Homeward) but still weird if it's worse than the other swords.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Abyss Watchers down, took me wayyy too long. But atleast I'm not a stinkin magic user or a summoner :colbert:

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
So I quick leveled up to 82 and I can not get any blue summons for the life of me. Don't do it. Now I got to farm silver knights for the ears and its loving wretched. Everything else appears to be doable.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Gaben will personally check your play history and technically you arn't posting screenshots of you soloing it.

gently caress.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Is the 60fps lock on PC a console port thing or will that get fixed eventually? I remember downloading some patch for Dark Souls 1 to enable that + better AA? I haven't played in a real long time. It looks gorgeous at 1440p/max.

Seems like a few of the crashes are limited to Nvidia? Haven't had any issues at all w/ my Fury

Is it worth it to try and sperg out on my first time through? It seems like bumbling through cluelessly is pretty viable

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Why the gently caress do the knights in the catacombs oneshot me from full embered health? Nothing else here does damage anywhere close to that. Of course they loving respawn too.

What level are you? They hit hard but not thaaat hard.

Regy Rusty posted:

The swamp is amazingly confusing I keep finding more treasure and have no idea where I am

The swamp is one of my favorite zones ever.

Lots of people were complaining about wading through it, but if you follow it, there's a path that explores all the areas and leads you around mostly through dry land. If you're going through deep water, you're going against the intended path.

Also you can use the dagger sword art to cheese your way right through the swamp, hilariously effective

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oovee posted:

Abyss Watchers down, took me wayyy too long. But atleast I'm not a stinkin magic user or a summoner :colbert:

Magic's not too big of a deal this time around.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

He's pretty tough early on. You can fight him, but its also entirely possible to sneak around him if you're clever.

Or lure him back to the dragon fire zone and let him get roasted

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

You can beat him! Try to dodge towards him and to the side, instead of dodging backwards or blocking. Also, there will be more of those knights later, so it pays to learn how to fight them. They are not easy when you first run into them.

Alternatively, run past him and go through the right-side door in the room he comes out of. There's a bonfire up the stairs there.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

GodspeedSphere posted:

So I quick leveled up to 82 and I can not get any blue summons for the life of me. Don't do it. Now I got to farm silver knights for the ears and its loving wretched. Everything else appears to be doable.

Welcome to my wolf world. :smith:

Took me 3 hours to farm swordgrass. And about 90 rusted coins.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Irithyll Dungeon is giving me serious Tower of Latria vibes, I love it. The enemies that lower your max health can gently caress right off tho.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Summon all of the people for bosses if you're trying to play a mage, don't listen to the gitgud people b/c you're already playing with an arm and leg tied due to how trash magic is for 70% of the game

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaphod42 posted:

What level are you? They hit hard but not thaaat hard.

42. Though I was wrong about them being the only enemy that could oneshot me. Lava crabs can also do that if I don't dodge their body slam like a fool.

At least I deactivated that ridiculous contraption.

Emalde posted:

Summon all of the people for bosses if you're trying to play a mage, don't listen to the gitgud people b/c you're already playing with an arm and leg tied due to how trash magic is for 70% of the game

Pure mages in Souls games are dumb. Just use magic in addition to a weapon which you buff.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Anyone else getting this minor audio glitch? The background ambience restarts itself every time a new line of dialogue starts or I make a menu selection.

It's a tiny thing but very annoying. I've only noticed it in Undead Settlement so far.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Emalde posted:

You made your choice

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Emalde posted:

magic users are scum.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Do the weapon buff spells work on the twin-blade weapons? I'm assuming so but don't want to sink a load of stat points to use a buff spell only to find it doesn't work.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like how purple pals spawn nowhere near hosts, or even the bonfire you put the sign at.

quote:

magic users are scum.

Same but katanas.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Tell me I didn't gently caress myself out of that merchant you unlock in Lothric permanently by giving him the bone.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can I please get some general game advice. Each time I try to play this in general I find myself just dying to everything that so much as looks at me the wrong way. I don't know what happened to me between Bloodborne and this but fully kitted out Knights are almost garunteed to slaughter me and these zombiemen that explode into goop eels just shred me if I don't throw a firebomb or two at them first.

I don't want to give up on the game at the starting gate, not like that but really finding it hard to play when I feel this weak damage output wise.

E: There's a knight in the first area with a tower shield and a pike/spear and when I try to kick the shield to break guard it does nothing and I just get stabbed.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

codo27 posted:

Tell me I didn't gently caress myself out of that merchant you unlock in Lothric permanently by giving him the bone.

No, that's the right way to do things. He'll just be depressed for a little bit. He'll be back to normal soon.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
So do the darkwraiths just have infinite poise?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

RBA Starblade posted:

Same but katanas.

im a beautiful ninja otaku and you cant stop me

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh that's stupid, blue sentinels spawn in already being attacked by npcs. I got stunlocked to death before I could even figure out where I was.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I please get some general game advice. Each time I try to play this in general I find myself just dying to everything that so much as looks at me the wrong way. I don't know what happened to me between Bloodborne and this but fully kitted out Knights are almost garunteed to slaughter me and these zombiemen that explode into goop eels just shred me if I don't throw a firebomb or two at them first.

I don't want to give up on the game at the starting gate, not like that but really finding it hard to play when I feel this weak damage output wise.

Batttle Axes can stagger Knights.

With my warrior I'd just block until I got an opening and then whaled on the Knight till he recovered. Dodge away, rinse, repeat.

It doesn't work all the time. Every once in a while blocking is ineffective. But for the most part it works.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

So do the darkwraiths just have infinite poise?

They may as well.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I find it really annoying that once again Blue Sentinels are completely worthless since almost nobody is ever going to stay in Way of Blue.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TaurusOxford posted:

I find it really annoying that once again Blue Sentinels are completely worthless since almost nobody is ever going to stay in Way of Blue.

I tried but I got killed but a fat witch one second after showing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wurzag posted:

Do the weapon buff spells work on the twin-blade weapons? I'm assuming so but don't want to sink a load of stat points to use a buff spell only to find it doesn't work.

Just tested it for you, and yes they do work :)