Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

TaurusOxford posted:

I find it really annoying that once again Blue Sentinels are completely worthless since almost nobody is ever going to stay in Way of Blue.

Why not? There's no penalty for switching so I put it on WoB every time I'm dicking around a zone embered up because there's no real reason not to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I feel like some of the best fights in the game are on the backend this time around. The penultimate plot boss was a great challenge for me and the music was absolutely fantastic. Best take on a certain boss formula so far I'd say.

Also can anyone figure out what the gently caress happened to the giant Crystal Lizard in the first minute of this video? Like, what the hell even killed it?

DeathSandwich posted:

Man I'm getting pissed trying to get Loretta's Bone from the settlement. The item is on a corpse dangling from a tree over a cliff overlooking the church/Siegwald area. If I come up from the frost knight area and shoot at the body, it always lands on top of the cliff. If I approach it from the topside and shoot it with an arrow, it falls to the bottom and I have to fight my way though.
Hopefully you found it by now but if you haven't, you're looking at the wrong corpse. The one you're looking for is way earlier in Undead Settlement, hanging on the building near the first fat woman.

TRON JEREMY posted:

Pontiff Sulyvahn :stonklol:
I'm gonna go and guess this is gonna be one of the bigger stopping points in the game. Figuring out parries and dealing as much damage to the phantom as he summons it are downright critical.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

theblackw0lf posted:

Batttle Axes can stagger Knights.

With my warrior I'd just block until I got an opening and then whaled on the Knight till he recovered. Dodge away, rinse, repeat.

It doesn't work all the time. Every once in a while blocking is ineffective. But for the most part it works.

What's the deal with the goop guys then? Fire bombs are nice and freak them the hell out but without it it's just this flurry of a mess that fills my screen and I don't know when I get a "turn" to attack.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i can't beat the dancer solo because im Not Good Enough and i can't summon people because they get stuck at the fog.

great.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Where do you have to be to activate a covenant? The item is always greyed out for me

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

HGH posted:

I feel like some of the best fights in the game are on the backend this time around. The penultimate plot boss was a great challenge for me and the music was absolutely fantastic. Best take on a certain boss formula so far I'd say.

Also can anyone figure out what the gently caress happened to the giant Crystal Lizard in the first minute of this video? Like, what the hell even killed it?

Hopefully you found it by now but if you haven't, you're looking at the wrong corpse. The one you're looking for is way earlier in Undead Settlement, hanging on the building near the first fat woman.

I'm gonna go and guess this is gonna be one of the bigger stopping points in the game. Figuring out parries and dealing as much damage to the phantom as he summons it are downright critical.

Oh man I hope parrying doesn't become a necessity. I'm getting better but still find it unreliable and dangerous to do.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

codo27 posted:

Where do you have to be to activate a covenant? The item is always greyed out for me

Equip it. Don't "use" it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Where do you get a Seed of a Tree of Giants?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Spanish Manlove posted:

Where do you get a Seed of a Tree of Giants?

Firelink, right as you leave the upper level of the gallery (not the way you came in) there should be a tree.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Giant Isopod posted:

Why not? There's no penalty for switching so I put it on WoB every time I'm dicking around a zone embered up because there's no real reason not to

This. Especially if there's any risk of all at getting ganked somewhere it's tricky to fight back to.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

Oh man I hope parrying doesn't become a necessity. I'm getting better but still find it unreliable and dangerous to do.
It's a not necessity, but it's a great help. This boss in particular always begins the fight with a jumping attacking not unlike Gwyn, and parrying that can let you take off a good 1/5th of his health. He otherwise has an utterly relentless assault with very few openings.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I need help. In firelink, passed the 20000 souls key door, there is a bridge before an elevator. Looking down the side you can see this shiny. How the hell do you get there?

I got the item on the other side no problem but this one is annoying. Every jump I try to make I end up sliding off and plunging to my death.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Haven't really found anything to convince me to drop the starting longsword yet. Normally I like to go for big fuckoff slow weapons in souls, but since every monster in this game is apparently on fast forward, that may not be so viable. I tried fighting with a slower weapon for a little bit and gave up after I was getting the majority of my swings interrupted before they could connect.

I started with the Longsword, but switched to the Broadsword because it has slightly better stats, but at the cost of that thrust move.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I find myself missing the white soap stone. At first I didn't think it being gone was a big deal but now I'm co-oping and if I put my sign down near the start of the zone to help people, they usually end up dying before we finish the boss. Small soap stones were great for helping people get through difficult parts of the level and still getting a reward.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Can I still invade the guilty with the red eye orb in the bluecops or is it just a regular invasion with no blue reward?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Tamayachi posted:

I started with the Longsword, but switched to the Broadsword because it has slightly better stats, but at the cost of that thrust move.

The long sword is also slightly faster. I swapped to the broadsword but regret it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Farron Keep seemed pretty easy until after I extinguished the second fire, fell off a bridge, and realized I entered Super Blighttown Tournament Edition

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

HGH posted:

agreed. most of the earlier fights were meh or downright bad imo see: yhorm. but once you pull around the halfway mark it gets really great.

the final boss is super cool too. the fight mechanics owned and when he got a second health bar i pretty much yelled "OH poo poo"

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

double nine posted:

I need help. In firelink, passed the 20000 souls key door, there is a bridge before an elevator. Looking down the side you can see this shiny. How the hell do you get there?

I got the item on the other side no problem but this one is annoying. Every jump I try to make I end up sliding off and plunging to my death.

Jump, directly in front of it in a straight line.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

double nine posted:

look in the shadows :ssh:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Also is there any word on an aspect raio unlock? I have pixels just going to waste now

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can you get more than one stray demon soul or did I screw myself out of a pyromancy by making havel's ring?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

double nine posted:

Everyone said jump, I just hugged as much as I can to the left on that bridge and rolled off.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm sure drawing out my true strength won't be a poor life choice.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
abyss watchers are bugged as gently caress for coop

1/4 times i get a sliding model that doesn't attack me and i can just wail on the dude to finish the boss

the fight and gimmick is really fun too :(

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Man, choosing a straight sword is hard.

The Astora Straight Sword would be an obvious choice because of ~RP~ but I just got a Darkwraith sword and a Lothric Knight sword. Both are longer, and I'm pretty sure the Darkwraith sword does more damage than the Astora. It also looks pretty anime, while the Lothric is like a prettier version of the Astora.

And the Astora has a FTH requirement?? I easily cover it (gotta have enough faith for Homeward) but still weird if it's worse than the other swords.

rear end is best for buff builds due to its unusually high base damage. If you're going higher str/dex, either the Dark Sword or Lothric Knight Sword would be better. Dark Sword is one of the/the strongest straight sword in the game with higher stats, and it having the Stomp skill is pretty novel. LKS is best if you're going low str high dex due to its very good dex scaling. Poking attacks are nice and it has a slightly higher crit modifier than normal which is nice.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
gently caress the Pontiff in all of his assholes.

Also game randomly crashed, crashed at re-launch, and is running again... but I'm suspect. Last night I dropped off of Steam for what wasn't even long enough to make chat notice, and the game kicked me to the title screen. Didn't really lose any progress but that was annoying.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Regy Rusty posted:

The swamp is amazingly confusing I keep finding more treasure and have no idea where I am
This was my reaction, plus I kept getting invaded and ran out of estus, got invaded again, got grumpy about losing because I started at half health with no estus, then realised it was an NPC :downs:

The Dark Sword seems rediculous, I can't wait until I've got spare points for stats to make it worth using. It's incredibly long and has both better damage and scaling than every other weapon of its class that I've seen. I'm not that big a fan of the R2s but the 1hand one seems fairly fast at least.

Shindragon posted:

Everyone said jump, I just hugged as much as I can to the left on that bridge and rolled off.
I gave up on this because it seemed like too much hard work so someone let me know if I'm missing out on something cool.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Shindragon posted:

I can hit it fine I just die with fall damage. Haven't tried it since early on though

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

GreyPowerVan posted:

The long sword is also slightly faster. I swapped to the broadsword but regret it.

I may have to revisit the longsword to see that speed difference, that didn't click with me the first time around.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

Can you get more than one stray demon soul or did I screw myself out of a pyromancy by making havel's ring?

Not until ng+

The pyromancy is terrible if that makes you feel better

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Has anyone figured out if you can buy Kukris anywhere? They scale with strength and throwing knives don't.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I guess I must have jumped at too much of an angle or jumped a little too soon. I got them now though.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

i didnt know waht summoning was i thought it was pvp and this guy just ran around one hitting everything and spinning a lot to make me follow him. was he hacking?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

lets hang out posted:

Not until ng+

The pyromancy is terrible if that makes you feel better

Aw man, it sound so funny though :(

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Giant Isopod posted:

Firelink, right as you leave the upper level of the gallery (not the way you came in) there should be a tree.

Hmm, it's not dropping.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tamayachi posted:

I may have to revisit the longsword to see that speed difference, that didn't click with me the first time around.

I didn't notice a speed difference but the broadsword is noticably shorter than the longsword which is kind of a big deal. When it comes to the smaller, faster weapons I find that length is one of the most important factors because you don't have that much reach to start out with.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Aw man, it sound so funny though :(

The Giant Bomb Quick Look has them grab that spell and use it on Firelink NPCs. It looks alright.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-dark-souls-iii/2300-11109/

Edit: Spoilers of course.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Spanish Manlove posted:

Hmm, it's not dropping.

I think it only has a seed available after you've been invaded by a player? At least them's the rules for DS2 they may have changed it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have become grossly incandescent and also truest dark and something abyss something, thanks creepy sorcerer and crows.