Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
DC loves doing the corrupt Superman story. I wish they'd have the stones to do a corrupt Batman story. And not the kind of nihilistic Dark Knight Returns thing that gets worshipped by manchildren. He's a billionaire sociopath who beats up homeless people and the mentally ill. He's practically a Bond villain or a candidate for the GOP nomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Trast posted:

DC loves doing the corrupt Superman story. I wish they'd have the stones to do a corrupt Batman story. And not the kind of nihilistic Dark Knight Returns thing that gets worshipped by manchildren. He's a billionaire sociopath who beats up homeless people and the mentally ill. He's practically a Bond villain or a candidate for the GOP nomination.

Mark Millar apparently did this and because its Mark Millar we can assume how it went

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

badjohny posted:

When people say Wonder Woman has to be dark and grim because of ww1 do they forget the first captain America? Or was ww2 all fun and rainbows in their mind?

Seems they are just using it as an excuse for more of the same from DC.

ww2 was a fun happy war with a clear enemy. ww1 was a brutal mindless clusterfuck

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Trast posted:

There was a comic about that, Nemesis. he artificially inseminated the police commissioner's daughter with his sperm, and then rigged her uterus with a booby trap so she couldn't get an abortion

That's really the kind of comic you want, Trast?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Mark Millar apparently did this and because its Mark Millar we can assume how it went

:smith:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

boom boom boom posted:

he artificially inseminated the police commissioner's daughter with his sperm, and then rigged her uterus with a booby trap so she couldn't get an abortion

Yeah, that is pretty much what I assumed

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

boom boom boom posted:

There was a comic about that, Nemesis. he artificially inseminated the police commissioner's daughter with his sperm, and then rigged her uterus with a booby trap so she couldn't get an abortion

lmao

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

boom boom boom posted:

That's really the kind of comic you want, Trast?

what

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

lol I just read the synopsis on wikipedia and jesus christ Mark Millar is terrible.

Get this, apparently boom boom boom got a detail wrong. He didn't inseminate the hero's daughter with his sperm, he inseminated her with the hero's son's sperm so it would be an incest baby.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

boom boom boom posted:

:how:

quote:

Police capture Nemesis, who claims he allowed himself to be caught.[10] It is true; Nemesis' henchmen have already infiltrated the prison. Nemesis breaks free, kills 97 guards with his bare hands, and frees the inmates, and then destroys the prison. He kidnaps Morrow's children, forcing Morrow to reveal secrets: his wife had an affair; his son is gay; and his daughter had a secret abortion. All of these secrets were kept from him as Morrow is a devoted Catholic. Nemesis releases the children but he has artificially inseminated Morrow's daughter with the son's sperm, with her womb rigged to collapse if an abortion is attempted.

:how:

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 13, 2016

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

there should be a law that bans sociopaths from writing comic books and manga

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

SciFiDownBeat posted:

there should be a law that bans sociopaths from writing comic books and manga

fake edit: except I guess there would be back issues to sell.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

lol I just read the synopsis on wikipedia and jesus christ Mark Millar is terrible.

Get this, apparently boom boom boom got a detail wrong. He didn't inseminate the hero's daughter with his sperm, he inseminated her with the hero's son's sperm so it would be an incest baby.

say what you want but if that was the synopsis for BvS i probably would have payed to watch it

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Gray Fox: Doctor, be careful! There are Claymore mines in there. Use a Mine Detector!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mark Millar seems to me the kind of author who writes the rape scenes first and then figures out a plot to go around them

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Please don't give republicans any ideas Mark Miller

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

i'm the supervillain altering a woman's vagina until it resembles the cell level from gradius

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

badjohny posted:

When people say Wonder Woman has to be dark and grim because of ww1 do they forget the first captain America? Or was ww2 all fun and rainbows in their mind?

Seems they are just using it as an excuse for more of the same from DC.

I find it hilarious because WW1 is a helluva a lot more ambiguous morally than World War 2. WW2 had a pretty clear villain in Hitler and the various Fascist regimes that supported him and doing pretty clear cut atrocities, such as invading other countries and genocide. Germans fighting in WW2 were either 1) conscripts whom fought out of ignorance of what was going on, fear of reprisals, under the mistaken belief of fighting to defend the country from Bolsheviks, and/or really had an axe to grind when it came to the French or British or 2) volunteers and elitists who actively participated in the horrors of the Nazi regime. The Germans in WW1 were basically fighting to because they wanted to hang Princip for assassinating one of their nobles and the Russians wouldn't give him up? Like huh? The motives of a German soldier in WW1 were less clear cut because most of the time, they were just drafted and sent to the front.

It's hilarious because DC's trying to emulate the villainy in WW2 with Wonder Woman fighting the Germans, but the real villains of WW1 were way behind the front lines on both sides, meaning Wonder Woman is going to chopping off heads of German conscripts who have the same culpability as their French and British counterparts.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Mark Millar's the guy who did The Boys, right? A friend got me to read the first few issues of it back in college and I remember it being tryhard edgy bullshit. For reference's sake one of her favourite movies was Boondock Saints so not exactly the arbiter of good taste.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I watched one of the DCAU movies last night, and I couldn't help but notice- Wonder Woman's pretty consistently portrayed as something of a violent anachronism in the DCAU. She's generally on the side of justice, but pretty happy to swing a sword or throw a punch to make a point because that's how you did it in ancient Greece.

Is that her most common persona these days?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Isn't she just going to care about the women, like go after solders that rape or kill noncombatants? I think that was in a cartoon once.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Young Freud posted:

I find it hilarious because WW1 is a helluva a lot more ambiguous morally than World War 2. WW2 had a pretty clear villain in Hitler and the various Fascist regimes that supported him and doing pretty clear cut atrocities, such as invading other countries and genocide. Germans fighting in WW2 were either 1) conscripts whom fought out of ignorance of what was going on, fear of reprisals, under the mistaken belief of fighting to defend the country from Bolsheviks, and/or really had an axe to grind when it came to the French or British or 2) volunteers and elitists who actively participated in the horrors of the Nazi regime. The Germans in WW1 were basically fighting to because they wanted to hang Princip for assassinating one of their nobles and the Russians wouldn't give him up? Like huh? The motives of a German soldier in WW1 were less clear cut because most of the time, they were just drafted and sent to the front.

It's hilarious because DC's trying to emulate the villainy in WW2 with Wonder Woman fighting the Germans, but the real villains of WW1 were way behind the front lines on both sides, meaning Wonder Woman is going to chopping off heads of German conscripts who have the same culpability as their French and British counterparts.

I dunno, if Ares is the main bad guy (which he should be) WW1's reputation for being a pointless bloodbath could be a pretty good backdrop for him, at least compared to WW2 where it would be at odds with that war's noble allies versus evil Nazis mythos.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Comicbooks have some weird ideas about vaginas and babies

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

just imagine reading the screenplay to BvS. like just imagine it falling into your lap and you read the entire thing unironically. now imagine that you thought it was good, or at least good enough to jumpstart a multi-billion dollar movie franchise. now imagine you wrote the drat thing thinking it was a good idea

how did not one person at any point in the creative process raise a red flag and say "actually this is garbage."

to answer my own question: because the studio doesn't care

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

tbf there is actually a 2004 movie based on a similar premise (though different anatomy) that I know many enjoyed

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I don't know what's that from but the baby vest is hilarious.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

just imagine reading the screenplay to BvS. like just imagine it falling into your lap and you read the entire thing unironically. now imagine that you thought it was good, or at least good enough to jumpstart a multi-billion dollar movie franchise. now imagine you wrote the drat thing thinking it was a good idea

how did not one person at any point in the creative process raise a red flag and say "actually this is garbage."

to answer my own question: because the studio doesn't care

It's a shame there probably isn't video of the execs screening MoS with Snyder before it was released. The video where Lucas and everyone realized how much of a mess The Phantom Menace was really put a lot in to context.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

It's a shame there probably isn't video of the execs screening MoS with Snyder before it was released. The video where Lucas and everyone realized how much of a mess The Phantom Menace was really put a lot in to context.

is this video on youtube? or in a documentary?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

is this video on youtube? or in a documentary?

Here's where they show it and talk a bit about it in the RLM review of The Phantom Menace. They're mostly focusing on the ending of TPM here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIWKMgJs_Gs

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mordja posted:

Mark Millar's the guy who did The Boys, right? A friend got me to read the first few issues of it back in college and I remember it being tryhard edgy bullshit. For reference's sake one of her favourite movies was Boondock Saints so not exactly the arbiter of good taste.

boys had a cool twist at the end (and with the superman character) but i really wish someone with talent had written it. what a wasted premise.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

boys had a cool twist at the end (and with the superman character) but i really wish someone with talent had written it. what a wasted premise.

Wasted Premise is what DC will probably change its name to in a couple of years.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mordja posted:

That's Garth enis. Funny enough the boys has the closest thing to a happy ending I ever saw from him

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Young Freud posted:

The Germans in WW1 were basically fighting to because they wanted to hang Princip for assassinating one of their nobles and the Russians wouldn't give him up? Like huh? The motives of a German soldier in WW1 were less clear cut because most of the time, they were just drafted and sent to the front.

Even better (simplified version):

Austria-Hungary (A-H) wanted to avenge the death of its heir, who was murdered by a Serb.
Serbia (which consists of modern-day Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, etc.) refuses to give in to deliberately excessive demands, knowing that Russia had promised to defend them if they were ever attacked.
Russia is allied with France, who has promised Russia it would help them if they were ever attacked.
A-H knows all this, so it asked Germany if it would help them out if they attacked Serbia (+ Russia and France).
Germany also knows all this, but agrees, since the A-H empire is their only friend in Europe.
Germany knows that it will be surrounded in this type of scenario, so comes up with the idea of knocking France out of a war first will enable it to turn around and knockout Russia.
Germany has to go through Belgium in order to bypass French defenses, so that France can be knocked out quickly.
Belgium is Switzerland-lite, and doesn't want anyone using its territory.
Belgium's sovereignty is guaranteed by Great Britain.
Germany knows all this.

A-H declares war on Serbia, which brings in Russia.
Germany attacks France via Belgium.
Belgium calls Great Britain into the war.
Italy is allied with A-H and Germany, but wasn't given a heads-up about what was being planned by its allies.
Great Britain, France. et al. convince butt-hurt Italy to join on their side.
During the war, the Ottoman Empire joins on the side of A-H and Germany.
A shitload of smaller countries join in, mostly with the non-Germanic side.

The Germans who really knew why they were fighting who they were fighting sure as hell weren't on the front lines. I'd be willing to bet 99% were fighting because they were suckered into it convinced it was their patriotic duty.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Leto's Law states that it is impossible to distinguish between real and parody reports of Jared Leto's onset antics as The Juggalo in the upcoming film Suicide Squad.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

so leto is pulling a shia lebeouf?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

SciFiDownBeat posted:

so leto is pulling a shia lebeouf?

That depends. Did Shia Labeouf ever see someone else's oscar winning performance and say "oh man I can do that", but then just ends up buying stupid stuff and jizzing on things?

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Leto's Law states that it is impossible to distinguish between real and parody reports of Jared Leto's onset antics as The Juggalo in the upcoming film Suicide Squad.

a very funny thread, to read

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
One of the main causes of WWI was that the German Kaiser became too ambitious and wanted to build up the navy to contest with British empire's oversea colonial markets.

Rapid raising of a regional superpower is the most unstable state in geopolitics, usually it results in major warfare and reestablishment of new world order.

Causes of WWII was WWI and the idiotic Treaty of Versailles.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Civil War looking pretty good
http://www.empireonline.com/movies/captain-america-civil-war/review/

• Locked thread