Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

a life less posted:

I'll not get into it too much because lol dog nerd

As someone who got bit by a friends sheepdog, I'd like to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

Looking forward to 3 more pages of dog talk

http://i.imgur.com/E8VjBlT.webm

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Plus the drat dog didn't even keep eye contact. Chances are its 'bad behavior' is because the owner is a dick.

Yep, this would be the correct answer. Cesar is a prick, and he probably thinks spanking children is AOK as well.

He also thinks women are incapable of training dogs and are inferior to men.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Basebf555 posted:

Nah, I really think he can be faulted for kicking the dog. He's supposed to be a professional. If the dog had its mouth clamped onto the hand of some random person in the street, that's a different story.

Lab retrievers should not ever be dangerous to a professional, and Milan was not in any real danger there whatsoever. He was in danger of needing a few stiches in his hand, and for that he kicked a dog in the stomach.

For future reference, if a dog clamps onto your arm, you're allowed to stomp its brains out.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Raygereio posted:

Here's the full clip.
That bite didn't come out of nowhere. Sure, it does looks like Holly had some food guarding issues. But Milan deliberately pushed her to get a reaction. Either through utter incompetence or to get that sweet 'before Milan's super training'-footage. Heck, Milan straight up punched the poor thing at 0:17.

Personally I like to think that Holly finally had enough of Milan's "kssht" nonsense.

drat, the editors putting in that music track just before he punches the dog, making it seem like the dog started it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

china bot posted:

awaiting L is for Landerig photoshop

C is for Caro, returned from the dead.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Poldarn posted:

As someone who got bit by a friends sheepdog, I'd like to know.

I went looking for a video that really broke down the various ignored warning signs and things that were done to add fuel to the fire, but I couldn't find it. I'm wondering if it was removed. (E: Found it! https://www.facebook.com/1217980230/videos/4655581307021/)

Basically, the dog was giving a number of signals that she was uncomfortable, but he continued to press the issue (the issue being resource guarding food) in an attempt to call her bluff and, ultimately, to try to have her realize she can't get what she wants via a threat display. But the dog made good on her threat display, Cesar got stitches and NatGeo got an episode that everyone is still talking about, years later.

Here's a basic chart that shows how most dogs escalate to a bite:

A lot of the time, people miss subtle signs like looking away, lip licking. Frequently, a dog with behaviour issues has been punished for growling. Punishment reduces the likelihood of a behaviour repeating itself; if a dog has had its growl punished but it is still uncomfortable, it can escalate immediately to a snap and bite in an attempt to increase distance or make itself heard. Coupled with the ease at which people miss the stillness/freezing before a bite (or misinterpret it as a signal that the threat is over), you get a lot of people who claim that a dog "bit out of nowhere".

Resource guarding is a really, really common issue. It's also potentially really, really dangerous (case in point: that video). There are scientifically sound methods to combat resource guarding that require no stress or bite risk, but they're about as interesting to see as watching paint dry. (Good dog training is boring and makes for crappy TV.)

I'm not sure what the circumstances were in which you were bit, but my guess is that warning signs were missed, or someone tried to call the dog's bluff.

Anyways, I'm sorry for nerding out in the schadenfreude thread. Carry on!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

Looking forward to 3 more pages of dog talk

a life less posted:

Dog Aggression Homeland Security Threat Level Indicator chart

Well that escalated quickly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The cat version of dog whispering is pretty amazing. Probably more belongs in AUG thread.

"I'm a musician by night, but a cat behaviorist by day".

During his show he some how ballooned up to 400 pounds and then needed gastric bypass to not die.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Baronjutter posted:

The cat version of dog whispering is pretty amazing. Probably more belongs in AUG thread.

During his show he some how ballooned up to 400 pounds and then needed gastric bypass to not die.
Closest he'll ever get to pussy.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Baronjutter posted:

His picture keeps getting worse and worse the more you scroll.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I wonder how many of these people with reality & "education" shows on channels that used to be about Hitler are locked into their horrible "styles" by binding contracts. Like those pawn shop and/or car towing dudes, or Hedgehog Flavortown, or really any of those sad people.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
LOL at anyone who says "cat guardian" seriously.

And gently caress that nonsense about not letting cats play with your hands. If you can't take a few cat scratches get a dog that will bite your face off you idiot.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Baronjutter posted:

I saw an episode of this, and the couple being interviewed says, "We opened the door, and... he didn't look anything like I'd expect a 'cat behaviorist' to look like!"

And I'm just thinking, "Really?!" I think I'd be surprised if a cat behaviorist didn't look like that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

For future reference, if a dog clamps onto your arm, you're allowed to stomp its brains out.

You talking about legally? Of course, that's not at all what I was referring to. If you're a professional dog trainer its pretty much never acceptable to stomp a dog that you're working with. Especially not breed like labs that pose no significant danger to a fully grown human whatsoever.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

You talking about legally? Of course, that's not at all what I was referring to. If you're a professional dog trainer its pretty much never acceptable to stomp a dog that you're working with.

He should have just whispered the dog out of it.

you are dumb

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

radiatinglines posted:

He should have just whispered the dog out of it.

you are dumb

YOU ARE!

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

You talking about legally? Of course, that's not at all what I was referring to. If you're a professional dog trainer its pretty much never acceptable to stomp a dog that you're working with. Especially not breed like labs that pose no significant danger to a fully grown human whatsoever.

Ah, so the breed dictates the behavior? Interesting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CowboyKid posted:

Ah, so the breed dictates the behavior? Interesting.

In some ways, sure. Any breed can be trained and socialized properly, but some breeds just naturally have temperaments that make it extremely unlikely that they'd be any serious danger to humans.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

this is boring, please shut the gently caress up

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Baronjutter posted:

My grandmother watches a ton of trash TV so this is always on when I'm go to visit her, and I don't know a lot about cats, what with them being the spawn of Satan, but he doesn't appear to be terribly bad.

Granted, most of what he tells these people is "Play with your loving cat" and that works about 90% of the time so idk

He never stomps a cat like Cesar does to dogs, though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah as horrible as he looks he actually seems really good at his job. He takes some cats that seem hopeless and just figure out what the hell is causing the behavior.

There's a lot of freude in that show though (my cat from hell). Idiots fighting their cats every day, getting bloody claw marks all up their arms and saying "Jackson!! We've tried everything to fix Mr. Whiskers but he's a cat from hell!!" and it turns out it's an unfixed male cat they never play with and has a really easy to fix health problem.

But if you want to watch people who are so bad at owning (sorry: GUARDIANS) cats that it's ruining their lives and soaking all their clothes in piss and cat poo poo it's a good time.

He also cries a lot in the show.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

I'm like 90% sure some goon was on that cat whisperer show, but can't for the life of me find the link. From what I remember it was pretty schadenfreude tho. Cat is psycho, goons bring in Jackson Galaxy to fix cat...6 months later cat is still psycho.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
:siren: PI IS LEAKINGGGGGGGGGGG :siren:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

:siren: PI IS LEAKINGGGGGGGGGGG :siren:

Six ten P.M., restate assumptions.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kurieg posted:

His picture keeps getting worse and worse the more you scroll.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I thought that was an edit to make his head even taller, at first.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah as horrible as he looks he actually seems really good at his job. He takes some cats that seem hopeless and just figure out what the hell is causing the behavior.

There's a lot of freude in that show though (my cat from hell). Idiots fighting their cats every day, getting bloody claw marks all up their arms and saying "Jackson!! We've tried everything to fix Mr. Whiskers but he's a cat from hell!!" and it turns out it's an unfixed male cat they never play with and has a really easy to fix health problem.

Yeah it's kind of amazing how many people don't seem to realize you actually have to give cats toys to play with and poo poo to climb on. Why even own a pet if you're not going to provide things that 2 seconds on Google would tell you are necessary?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Huntersoninski posted:

Yeah it's kind of amazing how many people don't seem to realize you actually have to give cats toys to play with and poo poo to climb on. Why even own a pet if you're not going to provide things that 2 seconds on Google would tell you are necessary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrRMchL_ctg

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Dog training?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dammit I watched this for a good minute just waiting for the cat to attack

Some lighthearted pet owner schadenfreude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iTTNRE-njM

Flash Gordon Ramsay has a new favorite as of 00:06 on Apr 14, 2016

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Dammit I watched this for a good minute just waiting for the cat to attack

Some lighthearted pet owner schadenfreude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iTTNRE-njM

lighthearted? she should be imprisoned for that brutal neck kick at 1:35

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hey wow something that doesn't involve pets at all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZEl6hiunq4

New failarmy. Dumb drivers doing dumb poo poo.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Hey wow something that doesn't involve pets at all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZEl6hiunq4

New failarmy. Dumb drivers doing dumb poo poo.

There is something really satisfying about that tire pop on the logging truck just after 3:00. It's like the driver was begging for a physics demonstration and he got one.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Gotta say the Delorean hovercraft was pretty awesome

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Holy poo poo dog chat is the loving worst.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I let my toddler sleep with my pit bulls. They're the nanny dog.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Solice Kirsk posted:

I let my toddler sleep with my pit bulls.

Do you put a condom on them at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

No, only God should decide when a child is conceived.