Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

MatildaTheHun posted:

Enter the Gungeon was such a horrible disappointment I've started dumping hours into Nuclear Throne again. It's loving glacially slow, and when it actually gets interesting to dodge and weave every enemy has too much HP to be interesting. I don't even want to start the argument in the game's thread because apparently everyone likes it.

^ Like it takes 7 minutes to clear the first floor. I could be killing Lil Hunter by then.

Reminds me of why I just dropped Risk of Rain after 'getting' the game. Once you got there it was just monotonous 45-60min games with very little tempo, and then suddenly you die from a mistake or something.

Nuclear Throne on the other hand, like you say, you can loop in 10 minutes. It has more mitigation of random chance because even the base weapons can carry you a surprising distance, and your mutations are chosen from a pick of 4 every level instead of 1 item drop.

They had a decent design from the start, but their approach to early access development (lots of playtesting and community involvement) really paid dividends towards making a game that people could put 1000 hours into and still enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I tried really hard to like Enter the Gungeon, but I feel like more of a killing machine with Steroids on 1-1 than I do after 20 minutes of EtG.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
To be fair steroids is ridiculously powerful even without any weapon pickups.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It counts as a loop if you just get to the Campfire, right? Managed that as Eyes earlier today.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Early game gungeon is so slow, I usually can't be bothered to start it up.

Then late game is even slower because enemies get absurd amounts of health and all your guns are out of ammo, because in the game about shooting 100+ cool guns they decided to starve you for resources so that you don't actually get to use them outside of bosses, which are more about bullet hell dodging than anything else, so the differences between the weapons aren't even meaningful there.

There's an incredible game waiting to burst out from under all its wasted content, but gungeon is currently not that game.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Thank you friends, I thought I was crazy when I saw all the gushing about Gungeon and then checked it out and was negatively wowed

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I only got to stage 3 before I stopped playing. The last game I had some sort of grenade launcher and a lower case r, both were like peashooters and I was just plinking away at mobs in boring rooms.

Not sure what the appeal is really.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The game's artwork is incredible and makes you wish the game itself was a lot better than it actually is. The game's got so much personality that is chained to a super flawed game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Not sure what the appeal is really.
It's often better than Binding of Isaac(which, imho, isn't saying that much) and most people haven't played Nuclear Throne

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I started with EtG, heard about Nuclear Throne, and haven't gone back. EtG has a lot of charm, but the early levels are such a slog.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

IronicDongz posted:

It's often better than Binding of Isaac(which, imho, isn't saying that much) and most people haven't played Nuclear Throne

I have put a lot of time into Isaac, way more than I have into NT, and Gungeon does not have the magic of either. In fact it kinda feels like it combines the worst parts of both.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Nuclear Throne had me the second I selected a character and that first stage music started blaring and my guy was spinning into a vortex as the screen said "fire at things until they die." They nailed the tone of the game perfectly. I could do without the GameFAQSy secrets and grindy unlocks, but it's easy enough to unlock stuff with save editing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
At least the grindy unlocks are all "do this thing with every character" instead of poo poo like "fire 500,000 bullets". They're encouraging you to experiment with different characters and git gud. And the secrets aren't remotely required (except for Plant's B skin, I guess). I remember the first time I found the Oasis level. It was a very :psyduck: moment.

And yeah, Nuclear Throne does a great job of just throwing you into the action from the word go. More games need to have zero ramp-up time. Or I guess it's more like "let's start everyone at level 10 instead of level 1" -- there's still power to be gained, but even at the start of the game there are interesting things you can do.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

And the secrets aren't remotely required (except for Plant's B skin, I guess).

Finding YV's mansion by accident seems pretty unlikely without checking online unlock guides since the game trains you very quickly to avoid and/or blow up every car you see.

Bringing the worst melee weapon a bunch of levels into the game when you've almost certainly found something better and intentionally hitting the " correct" explosive car is secret-y as gently caress dude

e: in fact I'm going back to add spoiler tags just in case which only further proves my point

damn horror queefs fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 14, 2016

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
etg does not have yv, clearly an inferior product

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Screwdriver will fix it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Afraid of Audio posted:

etg does not have yv, clearly an inferior product

There is a YV shrine where you can get upgrades to randomly fire 4 times as many bullets per shot

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Digirat posted:

There is a YV shrine where you can get upgrades to randomly fire 4 times as many bullets per shot

an effigy is not a gun god

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Okay yeah, YV's B skin unlock is pretty far out there. I had noticed, without being spoiled, that there was a weird car in the junkyard that took more hits than usual to blow up. I didn't make it any further than that.

For that matter, getting Crystal's B skin is also pretty obscure.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I have close to 5000 hours in all of the Isaacs combined, I am more than happy playing a slow ramp up of character power. Or in Wrath of the Lamb, literally never getting it and desperately plinking away at bosses with too much HP, and I can seriously say that Gungeon plays slower. I feel like this thread is an island of sanity in a sea of "but that reference was so good".

e: And another thing, Gungeon has stolen all my favorite streamers

MatildaTheHun fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 14, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i've seen plenty of people who have played nuclear throne and like gungeon more. it seems like a matter of personal preference, probably.

i'll get around to playing it eventually, and i suspect i'll like it. i liked boi too. there's room for many games in the space...

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Digirat posted:

Thanks Gun God

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
On a note that isn't about the new kid on the block, I've been having a lot of fun lately with YV+wave gun+shotgun shoulders+ultra B. I don't like taking throne butt with this for ammo conservation reasons, a 3x wave gun shot at once is enough to shred most groups of enemies, and it's real fun on loop sewers.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Fifty hours in and I still haven't beaten Throne 2. :smith:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

Fifty hours in and I still haven't beaten Throne 2. :smith:

I think I got my first Throne 2 kill at around the 45-hour mark, so that's not far off. The game is hard! One thing that helped me was to watch a few videos by SleepCycles on YouTube; he has literally hundreds of runs there and almost always loops. It's hard for me to identify what exactly the videos helped with, but my success rate improved noticeably afterwards. Prioritizing Strong Spirit, Rabbit's Paw, and (once you have Rabbit's Paw anyway) Plutonium Hunger does seem to help a lot, though -- Strong Spirit gives you effective damage reduction against huge hits like being exploded that are otherwise instant kills, Rabbit's Paw generates a ton more drops, and Plutonium Hunger helps you pick up those drops without having to expose yourself too much. Getting Hammerhead, and then having the presence of mind to use it (dig a little L-hook into the wall to get cover from massed fire), can also make a big difference.

It's also helpful to know that Splinter Pistols (amazing early-game weapons) can start dropping from 3-1 (or the turtles if you go there), so it's probably worth saving up for a big weapon chest on 3-1. And of course, you want a spammable weapon for 6-1 (the Labs) and an ammo-efficient weapon for the Palace (where there's lots of HP to eat through). Getting good weapons makes a big difference in runs; when I was going for Melting's B skin, the runs where I got a Splinter Pistol invariably made it a lot further than the ones where I didn't. The pistol won't last forever -- my final success used a Super Crossbow and Plasma Cannon to kill the throne -- but it's good enough to carry you through the Labs at least.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the splinter pistol is a really, really good gun. i feel like it's quite a bit better than the splinter gun.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
It does a tiny bit less damage for an almost doubled rate of fire. It does well even into the Palace, and even then its just because dogs are dogs.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It's not like bolt ammo is something you often find yourself running low on pre-super crossbow

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Jumping in the van took me directly to the loop 2 campfire. Thanks for the easy crown of blood unlock I guess but I wanted to fight the captain. I wasn't even level ultra and got instantly wasted by elite shielders

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 15, 2016

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Oh man, I was doing a full bullet ammo run as Steroids (butt + bullet conservation + back muscle) and ice town gave me double heavy pistols. I became Turbo Steroids: Bigger, Badder, Bulletter :hellyeah:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I did it!! :unsmith:

Gatling Bazooka wrecked both Thrones. Then I died on 1-2 to a really lousy spawn. The struggle continues :(

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Do you guys remember at about what hour mark you first got to throne 1?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

time passes slowly

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Sade posted:

Do you guys remember at about what hour mark you first got to throne 1?

70h I think. Made it count though, my first throne kill was dual wrench stress steroids (no long arms)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have no idea since I started playing back before the Throne was in the game.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the first time i made it to the throne was after 6 hours of play

the second time was after 45

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

My first throne kill was after 20 hours. I think it took another 20 hours to get my first (and only) loop.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I feel a little better that it took me 50 hours to loop the first time. I think my first Throne 1 kill was around the 30 hour mark.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Hour two-ish? I used to play a bunch of Smash TV so I guess that helped a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I've been trying all morning to get a Golden Wrench for Steroids so I can use him as a melee badass fucker.

Of the five Screwdrivers I've found, one of them had the car explode in my face, one of them got me a Golden Crossbow, and three of them Golden Laser Pistols. :(

On the other hand, on two of those runs I also looped when I didn't think I had a serious chance of even beating Lil' Hunter so :wtc:

• Locked thread