Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Why doesn't it just switch to offline mode like DS2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Spanish Manlove posted:

Aw gently caress, time to wait in the undead settlement in cinder form because I really want the solaire leggings to complete my sunbro setup.

Make sure you have the dried fingers if that's your plan!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Does it kick you out if you're playing DSIII (not steam) in offline mode ?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I guess steam disconnecting at the wrong time is why the sage copies didn't disappear and it freaked out. Oh well!

Is there any penalty for reaching max hollowing?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

broken pixel posted:

drat. I've been struggling to time my dodges on bosses until just now, when I decided to experiment by turning off my sound. Lo and behold, I'm way better at timing when I'm not overreacting to every tiny rumble, growl, and screech! Of course, some bosses have too much going on to ignore what behind me entirely, but it'll be useful for big guy fights of all kinds.

In the meantime, I'm starting a deprived. Let's cut to the chase: what's strong, fun, and not a sword-and-board STR character?

One of the casters, really the only reason to care about a class is to pick a caster so you start with some spells.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Question regarding secrets, a specific covenant, and this early game boss: tree balls

Background info: I have been trying to get into the cage on the back of the Hollow Manservant in the Undead Settlement so he can take me to the Mound Maker guy. My stealthy attempts to get in that cage seem to make him notice me and attack. I heard that you can't do this if you already killed Tree Balls (since the tree falling down a level would kill the Mound Maker dude). I previously fought Tree Balls and caused him to fall down a level but then I died. The boss is still alive for me to fight if I traverse the fog.

The actual question: Because I previously attempted the boss fight, am I locked out of getting in that cage? Has anyone been able to get in there after partially fighting the tree? "Just try it, human being" isn't good because I have tried and I can't figure out if it's now impossible to be stealthy enough.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Macintosh HD posted:

Question regarding secrets, a specific covenant, and this early game boss: tree balls

Background info: I have been trying to get into the cage on the back of the Hollow Manservant in the Undead Settlement so he can take me to the Mound Maker guy. My stealthy attempts to get in that cage seem to make him notice me and attack. I heard that you can't do this if you already killed Tree Balls (since the tree falling down a level would kill the Mound Maker dude). I previously fought Tree Balls and caused him to fall down a level but then I died. The boss is still alive for me to fight if I traverse the fog.

The actual question: Because I previously attempted the boss fight, am I locked out of getting in that cage? Has anyone been able to get in there after partially fighting the tree? "Just try it, human being" isn't good because I have tried and I can't figure out if it's now impossible to be stealthy enough.

I think aggroing that boss pretty much screws you out.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Giant Isopod posted:

Make sure you have the dried fingers if that's your plan!

Oh! That's a good idea. I'm going to try that. I've been using the knight leggings in lieu.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Macintosh HD posted:

The tree falling through the floor kills the guy who gives you the covenant item, you can see his body on the floor in the room. You're outta luck.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

How do I get to this area in Irithyll? It's the area behind the first shortcut gate you see, but I can't for the life of me puzzle out how to actually get down there.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

When/where can I respec? I loving hate my build.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Shindragon posted:

I think aggroing that boss pretty much screws you out.

The Shortest Path posted:

The tree falling through the floor kills the guy who gives you the covenant item, you can see his body on the floor in the room. You're outta luck.

drat. I was hoping that since the boss arena resets itself I might still be okay. Oh well.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Macintosh HD posted:

drat. I was hoping that since the boss arena resets itself I might still be okay. Oh well.

If it helps you can join that covenant later so you aren't super screwed just.. uh dont' do what I did or you will really screw yourself out.

Basically, if you still wanna join it's later down the game. But whatever you do, DO not join the Rosaria's Fingers Conveant otherwise the person you are suppose to go with, leaves because she hates that covenant.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 14, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

NESguerilla posted:

When/where can I respec? I loving hate my build.

What build are you? Find Rosaria at the Cathedral to respec.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 14, 2016

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Shindragon posted:

If it helps you can join that covenant later so you aren't super screwed just.. uh dont' do what I did or you will really screw yourself out.

Basically, if you still wanna join it's later down the game. But whatever you do, DO not join the Rosaria's Fingers Conveant otherwise the person you are suppose to go with, leaves because she hates that covenant.

Can you respec without joining it?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Btw for FutureSouls, in addition to FROM being on the PSVR dev list, I finally found the original source for the "Bloodborne is part of a three-game deal with Sony" post http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=179628490&postcount=377
And by finally found I mean someone posted it in an unrelated thread and I said "oh"

The poster is a "SONY insider" who has a kinda-sorta track record, he claimed Demon's Souls 2 was in development and there was a game released on the timeframe he said, but it was Bloodborne.

And just FYI

Bloodborne was officially announced at E3 2014.
Dark Souls 3 was officially announced E3 2015.
E3 2016...is two months away gently caress.

Miyazaki has noted that DS3 was the final game that began development before he actually became FROM's President.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

That's absolutely wonderful advice, thank you :3:

What's a buff build look like? I don't think I have access to any buffs other than Deep Protection at the moment, but I haven't bothered trying it out since in the previous games buffs lasted only for a few seconds at base stats.

So a buff build would be any build that heavily uses buffs for damage. Traditionally you'd invest significantly in both a physical and a magic stat (e.g. dex and faith). This way you'd have good damage without buffs and great with. Astora's Straight Sword, due to its unusually high base damage for a straight sword, cuts out the physical stat requirement. Maxed out and raw it has ~300 AR, when most other straight swords* with high stats will be approaching 400, which ain't too shabby. This not only makes it an excellent weapon for something like a pure faith build, but if you're just going midway (30 faith or int) for buffs and utility spells then it leaves you doing very good damage while also having plenty of extra levels to put into things like Vigor.

*Again, the Dark Sword is kind of a beast if you got high str and dex.

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~
Not gonna make any progress in this game tonight because being a swamp dog is way too much fun.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

What's a good pvp weapon that isnt the loving uchiganata? I've been using astors spear and the butcher cleaver, but i'm a naked deprived guy so i'm looking for something good for hit and run.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I AM THE BANK OF SCIMITARS.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Thinking about the difference in armor sets though, maybe DS3 calculates how damage is reduced differently than DS1? Like maybe the difference between 17 and 12 resistant is far greater than it was in DS1.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Macintosh HD posted:

Can you respec without joining it?

Unforunately no.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Alabaster White posted:

How do I get to this area in Irithyll? It's the area behind the first shortcut gate you see, but I can't for the life of me puzzle out how to actually get down there.

If I remember that spot correctly one of the railings is an illusory wall.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I am completely stuck on Pontiff. The attack patterns are so perceptibly random that most of the time I can't get a single good hit in while he just spins around like a little bitch or zips back and forth away from me over and over.

Most of those go over my head too. And yes, I do know about his weakness, but if he's just spinning like a top it doesn't do me any good.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

FirstPersonShitter posted:

What's a good pvp weapon that isnt the loving uchiganata? I've been using astors spear and the butcher cleaver, but i'm a naked deprived guy so i'm looking for something good for hit and run.

Any straight sword. Dark Sword especially, due to its high damage and long length.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I'm looking for the sunlight altar so I can turn in my 30 Medals. I have two directions I can go right now, past the Abysal Watcher fight there's a place, or I can keep going along Farron Keep Perimeter. Which way is the right way as far as eventually finding the sunlight altar?

Orv
May 4, 2011

LibbyM posted:

I'm looking for the sunlight altar so I can turn in my 30 Medals. I have two directions I can go right now, past the Abysal Watcher fight there's a place, or I can keep going along Farron Keep Perimeter. Which way is the right way as far as eventually finding the sunlight altar?

Past the Watchers bonfire, but you've got a long way to go, it's very nearly the end of the game.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Harrow posted:

You can beat him! Try to dodge towards him and to the side, instead of dodging backwards or blocking. Also, there will be more of those knights later, so it pays to learn how to fight them. They are not easy when you first run into them.

Alternatively, run past him and go through the right-side door in the room he comes out of. There's a bonfire up the stairs there.

yep, snuck by found the bonfire.

now I'm ready to head back and get killed by the knight a bit. Got to the boss arena only fighting hollows and nope, bad idea.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Orv posted:

Past the Watchers bonfire, but you've got a long way to go, it's very nearly the end of the game.

Ah okay. I probably could have stood to do coop a lot less frequently than.

Edit: Maybe a better question is what's the right direction to go to find an npc who will actually sell me offensive miracles? Because the blind woman in the sewer, even after 2 tomes, has hardly anything I want.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
So the Player Vs Player multiplayer is insanely bad and they walked back every improvement from DS2 in favor of actually worse versions of the blood bourne systems right.

edit: to be clear I'm strictly talking matchmaking and other system level stuff (like no arena and shoving invaders into 3v1s by default) not the actual gameplay which is good.

Work Friend Keven fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 14, 2016

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
The establishing shot of Irithyll is the most incredible shot I've seen in the series

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Statchat: How effective would the Claymore be if I stop leveling Str and Dex at 20 each, then make it Raw? Is there a better infusion? I want to start leveling int and faith after that, but also attunement.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Work Friend Keven posted:

So the Player Vs Player multiplayer is insanely bad and they walked back every improvement from DS2 in favor of actually worse versions of the blood bourne systems right.

No rat bros or bell bros again? What a jip!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Work Friend Keven posted:

I stopped playing bloodborne because the pvp was so abysmal. This feels more like DS1 but with added cry babies because 90% of the people I've invaded have had at minimum 2 phantoms at all times and they just mash R1 and body you.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Phoix posted:

If I remember that spot correctly one of the railings is an illusory wall.

It was indeed. I guess I've gotta look out for crafty stuff like that in the future.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I found a braille tome in the Cathedral so I went back to give it to Irina, only to find she wasn't there. It looks like the knight dude that was near her jail cell took her outside and is trying to kill me because she got hurt, and that's somehow my fault?

What did I miss?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

I found a braille tome in the Cathedral so I went back to give it to Irina, only to find she wasn't there. It looks like the knight dude that was near her jail cell took her outside and is trying to kill me because she got hurt, and that's somehow my fault?

What did I miss?

I believe he's not happy if you make her tell you dark miracles

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

NPC dialogue telling the story. You gotta be talkative and listen to all they have to say to figure out those questlines.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I killed all 7 of the lava crabs! :peanut:

I got nothing for it! :nutshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Is there ever a farmable source of twinkling titanite?