Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

No...Greirat....I'm so sorry :negative:

Im so sad now

The emote he gives is great for hide and seek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Winkie01 posted:

I just cheesed him, run back to the elevator run over the elevator to the other side and let him fall in.

With that said, whats better Irithyll Straight Sword or Uchigatana for dex build? Is there a good write up anywhere about what gems are best used for?

Which move set do you prefer? They're very different. When it comes to "which weapon" the answer should be based on the moveset and the sword art.

As to which infusion, they should be pretty self-explanatory. If you're going hard dex the easy answer is sharp.

The thing about infusions though is you could take like, a strength weapon and make it sharp, or take a dex weapon and make it crushing, to kinda flip it to what you want. So infusions give you more options, not less. But for min/maxing either Irithyll or Uchi with sharp would be pretty great. Uchi will probably get the higher scaling of the two.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

What the hell do I do about these bleed worms in this area with all the zombies? Is there some way to get them to gently caress off, or am I forced to take bleed damage two or three times before they stop?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

No...Greirat....I'm so sorry :negative:

Im so sad now

Uh oh did I doom him

quote:

The thing about infusions though is you could take like, a strength weapon and make it sharp, or take a dex weapon and make it crushing, to kinda flip it to what you want. So infusions give you more options, not less.

It looks like there's no "best" infusion this time around for some weapons, just go with the flow, which is great. I think I'm going to do Heavy Claymore and fire buff it with flame weapon when I find it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Appoda posted:

What the hell do I do about these bleed worms in this area with all the zombies? Is there some way to get them to gently caress off, or am I forced to take bleed damage two or three times before they stop?

"Torch" 'em.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Appoda posted:

Light a torch.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is there a way to get up to the giant ballista in Smouldering Lake? Just yes or no, don't tell me how.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I have no idea where to go in the castle because my game runs HORRIBLY in there. I found Oceiros but I don't think I went all the way to the top? It's tough to tell between lag and layout. Is there another boss in that area? Where?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
is there a new patch? im downloading a 108mb file on steam...

also a bunch of other random games are scheduled for download too? i've never seen this many games suddenly require an update before at once

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

refined claymore +8 now, it's really helping out LOT jesus

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Everytime I get a new offensive pyromancy I end up thinking "well its okay, but fire orb is better". Its weird. They all seem to do around the same damage, usually cost more mana, and don't have better casting times. They also have stat requirements that are higher. Yet I feel no reason to use them.

Like, forbidden sun doesn't even do significantly more damage while taking more slots and mana, so why use it?

Fister Roboto posted:

Is there a way to get up to the giant ballista in Smouldering Lake? Just yes or no, don't tell me how.

Yes, but make sure you blow open a wall with loot behind using the ballista as bait first. I didn't so I missed something. Normally I'd go back for it but fuuuuuuuuck turning that thing on again.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

yes

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vikar Jerome posted:

also a bunch of other random games are scheduled for download too? i've never seen this many games suddenly require an update before at once

I doubt it's Darksouls related. Every single installed game I have has an "update". Even things no longer for sale like Cryostasis.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

So, anyone have any thoughts on Claymore vs Bastard Sword?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Vikar Jerome posted:

Yeah I just got a bunch too. Restarted and DS3 started loading

who is to say?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

weekly font posted:

I have no idea where to go in the castle because my game runs HORRIBLY in there. I found Oceiros but I don't think I went all the way to the top? It's tough to tell between lag and layout. Is there another boss in that area? Where?

Yes, instead of left from the dancer bonfire, go straight and have a visit with your friends knight and mage.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Section Z posted:

I doubt it's Darksouls related. Every single installed game I have has an "update". Even things no longer for sale like Cryostasis.

Panty Saluter posted:

Yeah I just got a bunch too. Restarted and DS3 started loading

who is to say?

im hearing from the steam forums its something to do with directx and the _commonredist folder, i dont know the details.

what did annoy me is that when i lost connection to steam while playing ds3, the loving game kicked me to the menu ala hitman style instead of just going offline like the prior two games. :|

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Boomstick Quaid posted:

If you upgrade a weapon to +4 it puts you in the second-tier matchmaking group which seems to kill wolf bro covenant function. It was pretty nonstop for me at +3 but those days are now behind me

fuycking hell really? guess I'll try it in NG+ but god, that blows. why give me 2 large shards then from

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

1v2'ing in this game is so loving fun. The Astora Sword (or general sword) moveset fucks poo poo UP. The lunge for rollers and upward slash for people with shields + a mana estus or two just wrecks people.

I'm going to be swamp bro invading for a long rear end time. Gonna try to max out that covenant while the going's hot.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Holy poo poo Anor Londo!

Also spoiler for a tough fight in the same general area that leads to a covenant:

After killing the pope, past the courtyard with the giants and the fire priests, up the stairs and in the building at the end, head left and look for the illusory wall. Down the ladder is this watery place with two demon doggies. They are chumps if you have an upgraded shield to hide behind. Lure the one on the left into the alcove with the ladder and DONT leave that area. Otherwise you may draw the other doggie. All the attacks he launches when you are facing his head are pretty easy to dodge. I just resort to blocking the move where he bites towards his hind legs. That's really the only move of his that gives me trouble, so I just block it. With a 60 stab shield, I had no problems. May take a few tries if you get caught on his legs. Lightning breath = get on his rear end and start pounding :haw:

There's another invasion covenant like the wolf one there, and a bonfire. Useful bonfire because what follows involves a throwback to the most painful area of Dark Souls 1, with 100% more pain!

And spoilers for the painful bit:

DONT STOP RUNNING THERE ARE TWO MORE ARCHERS THIS TIME AND NO PLACE TO HIDE. However, one you reach the top, dive into the recess in the wall and hug the left corner. You're just barely safe from the one archer that can still sort of see you. If you wait for a while they all deaggro and you can 1v1 them bro at your leisure.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Boomstick Quaid posted:

If you upgrade a weapon to +4 it puts you in the second-tier matchmaking group which seems to kill wolf bro covenant function. It was pretty nonstop for me at +3 but those days are now behind me

killstealing posted:

fuycking hell really? guess I'll try it in NG+ but god, that blows. why give me 2 large shards then from

This is wrong, there's no 'tiers'. You matchmake with people who are + / - a certain amount from your max level. So yeah, upgrading to +4 means people at +0 won't show up anymore, but +1 still will until you go +5... its not that bad.

The covenant action seems really inconsistent overall though. I get invasions whenever I want, but I NEVER get summoned as a bluecop, and wolfbro summons are fairly rare.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I'm getting wolfbro summons nonstop at level 36/+3 weapon.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

MrLonghair posted:

Unfortunately Titanite Scale upgrades are a complete mofo to get hold of until later in the game, or if you get all the luck in the world and all the larger lizards drop two each time. There is one very difficult path that can be taken early on that eventually leads to a cache with treasurechests of them, and it's as follows (lightest possible spoilers): Remember the old lady that told you how to leave Highwall? Kill her, kill what comes, head straight forwards and continue the exploration. When you find a dark cool place with someone really chill you're in the right spot

I'm in the Grand Archives, am I way off in where I'm supposed to be? Someone help, I just wanna use my Wolf Knight Greatsword! :(

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Does anybody know what the Uchigatana's L2-R2 does?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Heath posted:

It's supposed to be a parry, but I haven't gotten it to work a single time.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010

Heath posted:

it's a parry

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ah, I was wondering where the bad, needless attrition area was, Irythill it is.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
New video card is here and... now I get to enjoy the game for about 3-5 minutes before it tanks to 15-24 fps consistently.

GTX 950, consistently reproducible. Quitting out of the game (entirely) fixes it for another 3-5 minutes when I start again. Quitting to title screen does nothing.

Anyone got anything?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Random Hajile posted:

So, anyone have any thoughts on Claymore vs Bastard Sword?

Slightly different movesets and it looks like the Bastard Sword has slightly better STR scaling while Claymore has slightly better DEX. I prefer Claymore's thrusts over the Bastard Sword's swipes, and didn't like the stomp much. It gives little poise and the upward swing has to go all the way up to the hilt to actually hurt a player.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Orv posted:

Ah, I was wondering where the bad, needless attrition area was, Irythill it is.

gently caress that area, holy cow. Note, however, the Central-Church bonfire run is the worst part, it gets better after that. I managed to make it to the church bonfire by just suicide-running until I figured out where it was, then making a run for it. I don't think they can follow you into the church.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

XboxPants posted:

IUDEX AS DEPRIVED AM HARD :saddowns:

This roll feels so sluggish somehow.

So apparently I had turned off my GODDAMN GAME MODE on my TV. And that's why I was getting like drat near a full second a input lag before my asher would bust out a roll.

You can adapt to some extent since the delay is the same every time... you just have to proactively predict when you think an opponent is likely to attack and roll before that actually happens! :pseudo: Holy poo poo it's a lot easier being able to dodge as a reaction.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel like I'm handicapping by not using a straight sword or the Uchigatana. Are there any good-for-PvE weapons other than those in the first half of the game? Everything else I've tried (granted I'm more of a Dex build) just doesn't seem to have the moveset to deal with the fast, aggressive, high-poise enemies.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
As a reminder this game is completely bonkers on PC. I just got summoned for a boss fight where the boss and host did not have animations and nothing could damage me, then immediately following that I went to face that boss myself, got invaded, summoned a NPC, entered the boss gate and the invader was not banished AND the NPC could not come through the boss gate, so the NPC was stuck running into the boss gate while the invader backstabbed him over and over and over again until he died.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

gently caress that area, holy cow. Note, however, the Central-Church bonfire run is the worst part, it gets better after that. I managed to make it to the church bonfire by just suicide-running until I figured out where it was, then making a run for it. I don't think they can follow you into the church.

Yeah, it has a bunch of enemies that are basically "hope you have enough stamina/estus fucko!" I hate these areas.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Well, now I know why fighting Treenuts messes with Moundmakers.

Whoops.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
There's a katana zombie loving my poo poo up outside Fire link :saddowns:

Does he guard anything useful?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Harrow posted:

Oh, another question: what's my deadline for a thing?

This event is it of a spoiler, albeit an early one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

I feel like I'm handicapping by not using a straight sword or the Uchigatana. Are there any good-for-PvE weapons other than those in the first half of the game? Everything else I've tried (granted I'm more of a Dex build) just doesn't seem to have the moveset to deal with the fast, aggressive, high-poise enemies.

If there is I haven't found it yet. The ISS is nice for it but there are a lot of enemies faster than that even. I guess the Greatknives?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Harrow posted:

This reminds me, does the side-step you get with the Thrall Axe give you i-frames? That seemed like it'd be a really fun fighting style, a little bit bloodborne. Hell, you could even put a crossbow in your right hand and Thrall Axe in your left for full cosplay action~

Also I really wish you could imbue crossbows. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Annath posted:

There's a katana zombie loving my poo poo up outside Fire link :saddowns:

Does he guard anything useful?

He drops his katana, which is a sweet dex weapon. That's it though.