Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Harrow posted:

Covenants modify how you play online. Some, like the Warriors of Sunlight ("Sunbros," so called because they're helpful), are all about being summoned to help other players. Your summon sign that you set down with the White Sign Soapstone turns gold, and you're summoned as a gold phantom, and you get rewards for helping others beat bosses. "Bluecops" are the Blue Sentinels, who are summoned to help members of the Way of Blue covenant when they're invaded by other players.

You can join covenants by finding their covenant items and equipping them in your covenant item slot (it's that equipment slot on your equipment menu that's surrounded by a diamond). As long as you have the item equipped, you're a member of the covenant. You can switch at any time to any covenant whose item you've found.

a cop posted:

They're basically factions. They let you do stuff to gain "reputation" which usually results in items or gear. Sunbros gives you a coin every time you successfully help someone in co-op. Blue cops are counter-invaders- if someone has the blue help-me thing enabled then blue-cops get summoned to their world when they get invaded. DS3 makes it easier than ever to switch between factions because it's just an item you equip in your menu (it's to the right of all your rings).

Hearing these things makes me really bummed that I lost the chance to join the purple guys for a while. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Twin Princes are absolutely wrecking me. Such a great fight though. That 2nd phase is insane

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Macintosh HD posted:

That's loving awesome.

Yup. Once you find the item it's super easy to equip it to do that faction's thing. You still have to find the NPC/place in-world where you turn in your coins/whatever you get for satisfying the faction's demands and in return get the items when you turn in enough, but it definitely owns.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm going to pretend the two Unkindled in Crucifixion Woods are Havel's cousins, The Usos.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I don't seem to be doing much damage to High Lord Wolnir at SL 49. Should I just ignore him, or do I need to git gud? (I know there's another path in the Catacombs.)

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Lol, I've gone against 3 people so far while swamp broing who immediately do something to disconnect once I kill their allies on PS4. Ultra buttery smooth 1v2 for a minute or two but bam, once I kill their buddy they run a little bit and then stop moving and I can't attack them and I get a connection error. Laaaame.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
This game is harder than my first time playing ds1 where i spent hours in the graveyard because i was dumb. ds2 has softened me up way too much.

enemy tracking is insane. its loving great.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I just defeated the crystal sage and am going a sorcery build. Should I take his spell or his sword? Do they both scale into the end game? Or neither?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im trying to make a miracle woman as my first character, when are all these points in faith actually going to start paying dividends? Right now I'm just smacking things with my dark axe, would like to cast something that actually hurts for once.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's kind of a bummer is that I don't think I'm having much fun playing this right now. I can't really put my finger on it but, while I like it on first impression more than Dark Souls 2, it's still just not grabbing me like Demon's, Dark 1, and Bloodborne.

I'm not convinced there's anything wrong with the game, mind you, it's just not clicking with me. :smith:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Google isn't helping; is there a decent way to get Refined Gems? All I see are people talking about farming the blue knight in Lothric but that's a pretty long run and he hasn't dropped any for like 25+ kills now.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I just got roundhouse kicked by a mimic, so that was cool

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have done about 10 runs as a sunbro on the tree boss :3:

kirbyabc
Mar 2, 2004
:-)
if you use a shriving stone do you get the gem back?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Harrow posted:

What's kind of a bummer is that I don't think I'm having much fun playing this right now. I can't really put my finger on it but, while I like it on first impression more than Dark Souls 2, it's still just not grabbing me like Demon's, Dark 1, and Bloodborne.

I'm not convinced there's anything wrong with the game, mind you, it's just not clicking with me. :smith:

I feel like it's good this is the final Souls game. I love em but too much of a good thing really is a bad thing. Best to stop it before it continues to be a yearly series.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
"I'm having some trouble with the Wolnir fight, lets try and use Guidance and see if players have left any helpful advice...Ah, here's a couple of messages"

Wolnir was a weird fight. The gimmick is kind of obvious, but it took me a few tries to beat him because he seemed to always just decide to force me up to the wall and do his instakill bullshit. Then he didn't do it and I won.

Also , a picture of the moment I knew this was GOTY (spoilers for the Cathedral area)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

I feel like it's good this is the final Souls game. I love em but too much of a good thing really is a bad thing. Best to stop it before it continues to be a yearly series.

Yeah, I'm with you there.

Like, I want to see From continue to make cool, thoughtful action-RPGs, but Souls fatigue might just actually be setting in for me.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

I don't seem to be doing much damage to High Lord Wolnir at SL 49. Should I just ignore him, or do I need to git gud? (I know there's another path in the Catacombs.)

To quote one of the helpful signs before him. Try Equipment Damage.

Or more specifically, break his three bracelets.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

kirbyabc posted:

if you use a shriving stone do you get the gem back?

No, it just removes the original gem.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I'm with you there.

Like, I want to see From continue to make cool, thoughtful action-RPGs, but Souls fatigue might just actually be setting in for me.

Idk. I like almost everything about DS3 more than Bloodborne, soo...

Lambs
Feb 11, 2014

There's a locked door in High Wall that I couldn't open after seemingly clearing the area (not the cell). Did I miss something or is it a path that opens up later?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
The closed door in the cellar of the tower with the second bonfire? You get the key later in the game, no need to search through the whole area.

Lambs
Feb 11, 2014

Feindfeuer posted:

The closed door in the cellar of the tower with the second bonfire? You get the key later in the game, no need to search through the whole area.

Yes I think that's the one. I'll just move on then, thanks.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Lol. I love killing people's Yellowfinger Haysel invader in the swamp as a swamp bro. I killed someone's after they'd already died, I wonder if they still got the items..

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Ok, so I've just started playing and am loving dying as I roleplay as the cover character, as I always have since Asian Demon's Souls - (Elite) Knight set only plus upgraded longsword/broadsword. Kiting enemies seems really easy though. Once I figured out how to just kite the Master in Firelink Shrine the gently caress out all the mid-level enemies seem very manageable. Except the undead who transform to full-on ALUCARDO DEMON DOG ARM. I've no ideas how to deal with them other than to plink with arrows.

Also with regards to infusion vs reinforcement, what's the better play? Reinforce to max then infuse or what? Can I use blade oils (assuming they exist) if I infuse? I'm pretty much gonna use either the broadsword or longsword for the entire game forever more, so that's why I'm asking. I love playing as the hopelessly mediocre, but surprisingly tanky and fashionable knight.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 14, 2016

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Man gently caress those resident evil 5 ouroboros things

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Pontiff Knights

piss

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there anywhere to reliably farm titanite shards? I want to upgrade the Astora Greatsword to give it a shot but I'm out of shards and I won't be able to buy them for another couple areas.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

When you know which ones do that trick you can rush em and snuff em early

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
So is it just impossible to invade someone if they're by themselves? I don't summon much and haven't been invaded a single time. I just tried to invade five times and each time was against a team of three people, which isn't even remotely fun.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Harrow posted:

Is there anywhere to reliably farm titanite shards? I want to upgrade the Astora Greatsword to give it a shot but I'm out of shards and I won't be able to buy them for another couple areas.

Lots of drops in the catacombs from skellies. Also that old lady sells them after giving her some ash.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So is it just me or are these fat ladies in the undead settlement also bearded? Its hard to see their face but it really looks like it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sleekly posted:

Lots of drops in the catacombs from skellies. Also that old lady sells them after giving her some ash.

Not far enough for either of those. poo poo.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Harrow posted:

Yes. I just cant remember where...

So busy admiring myself going down the elevator at the beginning of Lothric Castle because ~fashion souls~ I missed the hidden door before the bottom that yields an estus shard as well as a sniper spot for that loving ouroboros thing

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

So, I found Unbreakable Patches on the top level of Firelink. He's real sorry about something he did, but I don't recall ever seeing him. Did I miss an encounter, or just forget about something else completely?

Also, how do I get to the titanite demon in the swamp?

How do I get the giant tree outside firelink to give me seeds?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

So windows 10 tablets are neat. Now I can play on the shitter (or in bed).

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Windows tablets are the only tablets. Anything else is a paperweight

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Harrow posted:

Not far enough for either of those. poo poo.

I believe the specific ash that unlocks titanite shards is found in the zone before the 5th(?) boss if you haven't skipped any optional bosses (Abyss Watchers). Is that even the 5th boss? I honestly lost count after a few for some reason and it's bugging the poo poo out of me. Either way, if you've fought that boss, backtrack through that previous zone (and try not to kill yourself doing so) and find dat ash.

enojy fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 14, 2016

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

BlackFrost posted:

So is it just impossible to invade someone if they're by themselves? I don't summon much and haven't been invaded a single time. I just tried to invade five times and each time was against a team of three people, which isn't even remotely fun.

No we're back to Dark Souls 1 matchmaking were only people who are human can be invaded. Since people generally only go human to summon others that currently means it'll be 3 or even 4 versus you. The Fun Police might join in on the fun too!

Don't worry though in a couple months when the game isn't full of people playing through it and putting their signs down it'll become just as toxic for co-op as DS ended up being. To this day you still can't be human in the Undead Parish without some black flame spamming motherfucker invading you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaras
Mar 11, 2013

Okay.
Anyone else having issue with co-op phantoms not being able to go through fog gates? NPC summons work just fine, but I've had more than one occasion where they just kinda rub their faces against the fog wall and then dismiss themselves.