Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Strobe posted:

Because we started with old stuff and moved toward new, we didn't start with new stuff and backfill the worse ships. I thought that was a pretty obvious distinction.

We had the T65 before they introduced the Headhunter (a Clone Wars era ship and the predecessor to the X Wing) which means they already did this once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Also, technically, the Y-Wing.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

hoiyes posted:

Wes in a tie D and opportunist.

Edit: now I understand why STAW was so bad.

Not until the Defender has droopy wings and a sloppy paint job.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

hoiyes posted:

Wes in a tie D and opportunist.

Edit: now I understand why STAW was so bad.

The lead designer wanted to see what would happen if you divorced the "pilots" from the ships.

Vader (Picard) on the toughest, highest PWV ships happened.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So, Vader in a Phantom, Miranda/Wedge/Corran in a falcon...

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Otisburg posted:

The lead designer wanted to see what would happen if you divorced the "pilots" from the ships.

Vader (Picard) on the toughest, highest PWV ships happened.

Which seems kind of obvious, doesn't it? How did they not see that coming?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

StuG Jeebus posted:

Because WizKids is bad.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

StuG Jeebus posted:

It's called 'not being good at game design or playtesting'.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
They probably thought there was a set of Trekkies that would just buy this poo poo nonstop because it's Star Trek. Not sure what percentage of their revenue comes from "fans that buy loving anything" so it seems Wizkids will probably stay in business with their garbage licensed games.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Finster Dexter posted:

They probably thought there was a set of Trekkies that would just buy this poo poo nonstop because it's Star Trek. Not sure what percentage of their revenue comes from "fans that buy loving anything" so it seems Wizkids will probably stay in business with their garbage licensed games.

I mean tbf you could probably make the same argument about Star Wars with regard to fans who'll buy anything, it's just that FFG actually seems to care about making X-Wing not lovely, and if you look at the relative health of both games' organized play scenes one is doing pretty great while the other is a wasteland.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Finster Dexter posted:

See also: Star Trek Mage Knight.

They're trying to turn MK into a licensable RPG system a la Flight Path System.

I hope they succeed, so that more competent companies can license it.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Kai Tave posted:

I mean tbf you could probably make the same argument about Star Wars with regard to fans who'll buy anything,

Yes, but as you say, FFG has shown they actually care about making a good game, rather than just cashing in on fandom. I think all of the FFG Star Wars properties, however flawed some of them may be, show a dedication to making good poo poo.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

There are two real reason why they'll never do prequel ships:

1) What faction do they fit into? Is the Jedi Starfighter a Empire or Rebel ship?? The Republic is the predecessor of the Empire in the same way that the Rebellion is the predecessor of the Resistance. But it would be super weird to have Obi-Wan as a Empire pilot.

2) All the prequel ships are dumb and unmemorable and not one of them is even close to as iconic as any of the OT ships.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I do kinda want to see the Republic transport so we can have an attack helicopter In Space

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

StashAugustine posted:

I do kinda want to see the Republic transport so we can have an attack helicopter In Space

Is the Mist Hunter not good enough for you?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Did we ever see them fly in space? Outside of Battlefront 2, that is?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Madurai posted:

Did we ever see them fly in space? Outside of Battlefront 2, that is?

They flew in space in The Clone Wars a few times.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Geisladisk posted:

There are two real reason why they'll never do prequel ships:

1) What faction do they fit into? Is the Jedi Starfighter a Empire or Rebel ship?? The Republic is the predecessor of the Empire in the same way that the Rebellion is the predecessor of the Resistance. But it would be super weird to have Obi-Wan as a Empire pilot.

2) All the prequel ships are dumb and unmemorable and not one of them is even close to as iconic as any of the OT ships.

The factions would be thorny, but the second point's both wrong and irrelevant. I mean to start out with, many of the OT ships are only iconic because they've been able to benefit of 30+ years of aggressive marketing-not to mention the fact that a lot of the cooler prequel ship designs suffered from not getting much time in the spotlight. But like I said, whether or not they're at all iconic or memorable is pretty drat irrelevant-FFG is already scraping the bottom of the barrel for EU poo poo, and if the ARC-170 or Jedi Starfighter weren't prequel ships then there's a good chance they'd have already been released.

I for one am fairly certain they're going to release the prequel ships sooner or later, if only out of necessity-even with an EU as giant and bloated as Star Wars, there's still only so many fake starships to go around. Eventually they're going to have to turn to the prequel ships, and by then it's a question of how and when-not if.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Strobe posted:

Is the Mist Hunter not good enough for you?

Helicopters don't have tractor beams, that's bullshit

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I can't wait until FFG releases iconic prequel ships like the not-Cylon and Space Drillball.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I don't think we'll ever see prequel ships because there'll be enough new content from Rebels and the new films to keep us going.

It's a shame, because ten-year-old me loved the N1 Starfighter. My childhood mind latched onto that as one of the only things that wasn't mind-numbingly boring in Episode 1.

That and...

NNNNYYYYYEEEEERRRRRRRRROOOOWWWWWWWMMMMMMMM

X-Wing pod racing spinoff when?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

I can't wait until FFG releases iconic prequel ships like the not-Cylon and Space Drillball.

Is that a ball made of drills or a ball with one big drill?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Eh I think there would be better odds with say the Naboo fighter, but especially for the ARC, does the game need 4 X Wing variants?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
We don't have a T-85 yet, so absolutely yes.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Strobe posted:

We don't have a T-85 yet, so absolutely yes.

Wait that's a thing? :psyduck: Is this pre T-70?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's mentioned (but not shown) in the Force Awakens visual dictionary/guide/whatever. The T-70s are outdated and no longer flown by the Republic.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Endman posted:

NNNNYYYYYEEEEERRRRRRRRROOOOWWWWWWWMMMMMMMM

X-Wing pod racing spinoff when?

New Roborally looking good.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Strobe posted:

It's mentioned (but not shown) in the Force Awakens visual dictionary/guide/whatever. The T-70s are outdated and no longer flown by the Republic.

:argh: Gods drat it JJ!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I for one am fairly certain they're going to release the prequel ships sooner or later, if only out of necessity-even with an EU as giant and bloated as Star Wars, there's still only so many fake starships to go around. Eventually they're going to have to turn to the prequel ships, and by then it's a question of how and when-not if.

Not now that Disney owns The Star Wars, is aware of the fact that Star Wars is Stormtroopers, TIEs, and X-Wings rather than Space Asians and trade routes, and will be releasing at least one film per year or two until long after we are all skeletons.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hey so uh, even with my small collection I'm running into storage and transportation issues. I've managed to get everything mostly secured in the two core boxes. (Basically only my Bwing is out and I'm praying its cannons are tough til I find a solution.) I have a Feldherr case for most of my Armada stuff, but that's not really scalable. Are Plano cases still recommended? And would I just get them at a hardware store or something?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Otisburg posted:

Not now that Disney owns The Star Wars, is aware of the fact that Star Wars is Stormtroopers, TIEs, and X-Wings rather than Space Asians and trade routes, and will be releasing at least one film per year or two until long after we are all skeletons.

This would be a good point if the people making the movies knew or cared about designing starships explicitly for some dumb miniatures game. Hell, just look at the most recent movie-there were what, 2-3 new ships in there that are a good fit for X-Wing? FFG releases ~3 waves of 4 ships per year, and the design process requires lead time. They'll be able to get new ships out of Rebels, the new movies, and whatever other comics and games come out in the next few years, but that's not going to be as nearly a reliable stream of content as you seem to think it will be.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This would be a good point if the people making the movies knew or cared about designing starships explicitly for some dumb miniatures game. Hell, just look at the most recent movie-there were what, 2-3 new ships in there that are a good fit for X-Wing? FFG releases ~3 waves of 4 ships per year, and the design process requires lead time. They'll be able to get new ships out of Rebels, the new movies, and whatever other comics and games come out in the next few years, but that's not going to be as nearly a reliable stream of content as you seem to think it will be.

Are you trying to say that neither Disney or Lucasfilm "gets" merchandising? :ironicat:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Honestly I get a vibe like FFG would rather release the Buick from Rogue Squadron before they start farming the prequels for content.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Devlan Mud posted:

Are you trying to say that neither Disney or Lucasfilm "gets" merchandising? :ironicat:

No, he's saying that X-Wing TMG is an infinitesimally small profit maker for Disney, so they're going to give two shits about adding spaceships to movies just to make sure that X-Wing has a few more minis to produce. Compare how many X-Wing minis are sold versus something like Battlefront.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Devlan Mud posted:

I'm not saying they don't get merchandising, I'm saying they're not going to give the filmmakers a quota of how much new content they need per film just to justify new releases for one licensed game that's effectively a blip in their radar. We'll get new stuff through the films, just not as much new stuff as FFG would need to continue dropping releases at their current rate.

Otisburg posted:

Honestly I get a vibe like FFG would rather release the Buick from Rogue Squadron before they start farming the prequels for content.

Not gonna lie I'd buy ten.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

The Gate posted:

No, he's saying that X-Wing TMG is an infinitesimally small profit maker for Disney, so they're going to give two shits about adding spaceships to movies just to make sure that X-Wing has a few more minis to produce. Compare how many X-Wing minis are sold versus something like Battlefront.

Because literally the only thing Star Wars related that Disney can sell spaceships for is X-Wing: The Miniatures Game.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Devlan Mud posted:

Because literally the only thing Star Wars related that Disney can sell spaceships for is X-Wing: The Miniatures Game.

Toy companies don't require 10-12 new ships per year.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Otisburg posted:

There has to be someone making tiny Buicks in X-Wing scale somewhere

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Eimi posted:

Hey so uh, even with my small collection I'm running into storage and transportation issues. I've managed to get everything mostly secured in the two core boxes. (Basically only my Bwing is out and I'm praying its cannons are tough til I find a solution.) I have a Feldherr case for most of my Armada stuff, but that's not really scalable. Are Plano cases still recommended? And would I just get them at a hardware store or something?
I use this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Double-...YM4VMER4XJ2CNVM

One side for Rebels, the other for Empire. It fits mostly every ship with cards except the huge ones... and the Ghost... and I don't have the Decimator either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Improbable Lobster posted:

There has to be someone making tiny Buicks in X-Wing scale somewhere

On a similar note, I know I've been tempted for a while to pick up one of these.

• Locked thread