Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

marchantia posted:

Finally finished off some of my deepest stash - 3 years or so? Was given to me by an old boyfriend before we split, so it was shoved into a dark closet only to eventually be retrieved after multiple moves and finally turned into something pretty! I just did a 20 stitch wide double crochet scarf that I seamed together at the end to make a cowl. The handspun yarn striped up in a really fun gradient way that looks super awesome. Happy with it, and since crochet goes so fast it only took a couple of hours (started last night!). Makes me want to start spinning myself, the texture and color changes were so fun.

I love the colors in that! You should also share it in the crochet thread over here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Whoops! Well that shows how often I crochet... didn't even know there was a separate thread.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
No worries, it was an honest mistake! I think most of the knitters in here also crochet anyway.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

I'm currently getting lashed with 2 feet of snow, and so begins the Great Knitting Weekend.
First project I tackled: 198 yards of heaven which is a fantastic pattern if you only have one skein of Merino superwash 210.

What's everyone else knitting on the east coast to keep from going stir crazy?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

a friendly penguin posted:

I'm currently getting lashed with 2 feet of snow, and so begins the Great Knitting Weekend.
First project I tackled: 198 yards of heaven which is a fantastic pattern if you only have one skein of Merino superwash 210.

What's everyone else knitting on the east coast to keep from going stir crazy?

Nice!

I'm not on the east coast. I'm in the midwest; it's currently 55°F and partly cloudy. I feel for you guys, though. Blizzards! So much annoyance.

I just finished a pair of socks in Colinette Jitterbug. I'll be washing these fuchsia monsters separately for a while, and will just have to hope they don't turn my feet pink.

Cherry Socks by effika, on Flickr
Ravelry link to project!

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

Well hello knitting goons! I'm a Masshole and it is winter. Massholes in winter need hats. This Masshole likes the way knit hats look more than crochet hats. I need a new hobby that does not involve video games and is creative instead of destructive. I read the first few pages and the last few pages of this thread and to my non-crafty brain it all looks like alphabet soup. You all seem pretty passionate about what you create and I think that is awesome. I work for a hospital and when my kids were born here, they were given hand knit hats that were made and donated by people in the community. I would love to be able to donate hats for the wee babies. How did you all learn? Is there such a thing as a good "starter" set? Should I get a book, watch youtube videos, stalk Q-tips at the senior center?

I also joined the Ravelry group and created a similar thread there in case people look there instead of here.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
To make Babby's First Hat, first look up any local yarn stores near you. You want to get a nice-looking but plain yarn, pretty fat, and the right size of needles to go with it. The worker can show you what goes together. Depending on their policy, you might get a 101 lesson then and there, or you might have to pay for a class. YouTube videos are an amazing resource and much easier than books, although you can probably get some books from your library so feel free to look at those too.

Just so you know, your first hat will be a rectangle with one seam up the side, so it's gonna look pretty weird, but that's fine because it would look pretty weird anyway because it's your first. Just don't get discouraged because you'll be only like 3 techniques away from making a good ribbed hat in the round!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
You'll also probably want a light-colored yarn instead of black or something. And in wool. But yeah, go find a local yarn shop (Ravelry can help here) and ask the person working there. They'll probably be used to folks coming in with the vague idea of learning how to knit. You might want to ask them if there's a knitting group that meets there, a lot of stores have that and it can be handy if you have any questions while you're making your first few hats.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

intangible posted:

Well hello knitting goons! I'm a Masshole and it is winter. Massholes in winter need hats. This Masshole likes the way knit hats look more than crochet hats. I need a new hobby that does not involve video games and is creative instead of destructive. I read the first few pages and the last few pages of this thread and to my non-crafty brain it all looks like alphabet soup. You all seem pretty passionate about what you create and I think that is awesome. I work for a hospital and when my kids were born here, they were given hand knit hats that were made and donated by people in the community. I would love to be able to donate hats for the wee babies. How did you all learn? Is there such a thing as a good "starter" set? Should I get a book, watch youtube videos, stalk Q-tips at the senior center?

I also joined the Ravelry group and created a similar thread there in case people look there instead of here.

I learned through Youtube and twisting my stitches for the first couple projects. Practice makes perfect and soon you will be making hats in various sizes in no time. Pictures also sometimes help, though I like videos more than pictures.

I love the beginner series from Tin Can Knits, which also features a very simple hat to try out. All of the patterns in that collection are free, which is awesome if you are starting out.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

intangible posted:

Hi fellow Masshole! Whereabouts are you (if you don't mind saying?)

My favorite yarn store around here is Coveted Yarns in Gloucester, awesome awesome place, massive selection and really nice staff, and they're actually open at times when I have time to go shopping. Stitch House in Dorcester is also pretty great, and obviously much closer to town. Just about every yarn store has beginner classes or drop in clinics and they can help you get addicted started.

I personally learned from Knitting for Dummies but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. :)

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

You probably already know this since you work at the hospital, but just thought I'd mention that some hospitals are very specific about the pattern and yarn you should use for the baby hats. So be sure to ask or look for instructions on the website.

For example: http://www.fmh.org/babyhatinstructions

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Hi fellow Masshole! Whereabouts are you (if you don't mind saying?)

My favorite yarn store around here is Coveted Yarns in Gloucester, awesome awesome place, massive selection and really nice staff, and they're actually open at times when I have time to go shopping. Stitch House in Dorcester is also pretty great, and obviously much closer to town. Just about every yarn store has beginner classes or drop in clinics and they can help you get addicted started.

I personally learned from Knitting for Dummies but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. :)

I live in Merrimac and work at the hospital in Newburyport. Merrimac has the Red Barn Sewing and Yarn Center. I think I'm going to stop in tomorrow and check it out.

Thank you all for the input. It is very helpful. Would it make sense to try out making a scarf or something else straight before trying out the whole circle thing, or should I just throw caution to the wind and go right for hats?

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

intangible posted:

Thank you all for the input. It is very helpful. Would it make sense to try out making a scarf or something else straight before trying out the whole circle thing, or should I just throw caution to the wind and go right for hats?

If not a full project like a scarf, then at least a practice rectangle. Knitting in the round can cause a lot of difficulty with gaps between stitches as it is, so it's best to figure out how to control your tension with something simpler.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I just started working at a fabric and yarn store so I now get 30% retail price of all Cascade yarns. RIP my hands. And yes, I'm allowed to knit whenever it gets slow. It's kind of the best.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

This past Thursday, Mrs. Intangible and myself went to our local Yarn Barn. We came away with a couple of sets of #9 needles and a couple of skeins of 75% acrylic / 25% wool yard to play around with. Sunday was mostly below zero and we had just returned from a couple of nights at an indoor water park with the kids. The stage was set for a good day to stay in pajamas and try out knitting. I watched a couple of the intro videos on Tin Can Knits and after a few minutes of figuring out how to properly hold the needles, how much tension to apply to the yarn, how to keep the yarn from slipping off the end of the needles (and a few other things), I was successfully casting on my first stitches! I'm going to try making the Wheat Scarf as a learning experiment.

Here is a picture of what learning how to knit on a lazy Sunday morning looks like:

After (sort of) getting the hang of casting on, I can see how people can eventually let their hands go on auto pilot and allow their minds to do other things. I can also see how relaxing and rewarding this hobby could ultimately be. Now I just need to learn what to do after casting on or I will be starting a shoelace making hobby instead of making cool hats.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Tiny Nancy done! Merino is sooo soft, I love it.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip
Man, y'all are making me feel really unambitious/talentless.

I'm currently working on a cozy blanket for a friend's wife; it's a smaller version of this one:

I will attempt to make myself feel better by posting the Compo hat:

Compo was a character on the British comedy Last of the Summer Wine. He wore several hats over the course of the series, but the sage green cabled one was his most popular one. I looked online for the pattern for ages and couldn't find one, so I paused an episode on DVD with a closeup of the hat and copied the pattern as closely as I could.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

fuzzknot posted:

I will attempt to make myself feel better by posting the Compo hat:

Compo was a character on the British comedy Last of the Summer Wine. He wore several hats over the course of the series, but the sage green cabled one was his most popular one. I looked online for the pattern for ages and couldn't find one, so I paused an episode on DVD with a closeup of the hat and copied the pattern as closely as I could.

This is amazing. Compo was one of my favourites. You did a really good job.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

left_unattended posted:

This is amazing. Compo was one of my favourites. You did a really good job.

:D Thank you! Here's the pattern:

Skill Level:
Advanced Intermediate

Materials:
Needles: 16" #8 circular needle (optional)
set of 4 #8 double pointed needles
cable needle
Yarn: 1 skein Lion Brand Wool-Ease Sage
Other Materials: 1 place marker

Gauge:
~6 stitches per inch in pattern
6 rows per inch in pattern

Stitch Explanation:
K—knit
P—purl
st(s)—stitch(es)

Pattern:

Cast on 112 sts and join, being careful not to twist work. Place marker to indicate end of round. Work in K1 P1 rib for 3 inches.

Begin chart.

This is the legend to the charts above and below.

After the fourth cable twist, begin decreases. On the chart for the decreases, I included the fourth cable twist to use as a reference point. The last cable twist, near the top of the chart, is the seventh cable twist.

When decrease chart is completed, break yarn and weave through remaining 8 sts.

Weave in loose ends; block. Fold brim up.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I've been knitting for a year and half now and I still haven't tried cables. Are they as easy as they seem (now that I have my fundamentals on lock)?

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

They are indeed as easy as they seem! Cables really intimidated me when I first started knitting, until I just tried them out and saw how uncomplicated they really are.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That goes for basically everything! People spend years freaking themselves out about colorwork or charts or lace or cables or anything, when guess what, it's totally doable. Just remember that basically everybody used to knit, and not everyone throughout history was a rocket scientist, so if they all learned, you can too. It just takes some YouTube videos and patience. Anything you do can be undone and tried again.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Hummingbirds posted:

I've been knitting for a year and half now and I still haven't tried cables. Are they as easy as they seem (now that I have my fundamentals on lock)?

Yes, definitely! I'd recommend starting with an Irish hiking scarf (many patterns available online) as a first cable project since it's simple and repetitive. Also, you'll get a pretty scarf.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Anne Whateley posted:

That goes for basically everything!... Anything you do can be undone and tried again.

Except steeks. :ohdear:

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Steeks are not scary after you've done it one time. :)

And I've sewed the circular needle to my knitting, also the front of a cardigan to the back. Totally re-doable, you just need a good seam ripper.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I did my first tubular cast on last night, I feel like a knitting genius and no one in my life understands. It's literally a little tube! A tiny little double knitted tube. Mind blown. I've been knitting for a long time (~10 years now, good lord) and it's been a long time since I had to blindly follow directions without understanding what was going on. It's such a good feeling when it ends up working. It's like magic!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Same! I've been knitting forever too but hadn't run across the tubular cast-on until super recently. It's very neat to see it work and figure out how. But for ribbing, it is a lot more work for a result not really significantly better than Jeny's stretchy slipknot cast-on . . .

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
You aren't wrong, but I am finding the little faux folded hem look endlessly charming for whatever reason. This is for the hem of an oversized sweater coat deal so we'll see if the charm wears off after casting on the two fronts and sleeves.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

Midnight Sun posted:

Steeks are not scary after you've done it one time. :)

And I've sewed the circular needle to my knitting, also the front of a cardigan to the back. Totally re-doable, you just need a good seam ripper.

I was terrified of steeks, practiced on a swatch, steeked my sweater, and now I want to steek all of my sweaters. Purling on the wrong side? Eeeeeeuuuughhhhh.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

marchantia posted:

You aren't wrong, but I am finding the little faux folded hem look endlessly charming for whatever reason. This is for the hem of an oversized sweater coat deal so we'll see if the charm wears off after casting on the two fronts and sleeves.
Hahaha, I got tired of it after a hat. It is super cute, just not (to me) enough to justify all the extra work, especially reordering the stitches for ribbing. Good luck to you!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
My kid's therapeutic horseback riding program is doing a fundraiser horse show. I did 3 dozen wash/dishcloths in 2 weeks. Sun shaped because the place is called Sunshine Ranch. Started out with lots of yellow and orange and sunshine colors, rapidly devolved into "fuckit, use any cotton I can find in the stash. I don't care how ugly it is". So these are soon to feature on the craft table for $3 each or 2 for $5. And I've cleared out my stash (of cotton anyway)!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Finished another Nancy! I'm so done with this pattern now, but I'm quite happy with this one though.
Knitted for my mom, it fits her perfectly!

I need something different now, so I've started knitting this kofte. It's my first time knitting something that isn't circular yoke, so I'm both scared and excited. I'm using a lovely yarn called Rauma Tumi, it's 50% wool and 50% alpaca. Very soft and feels amazing to knit with.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Midnight Sun posted:

Finished another Nancy! I'm so done with this pattern now, but I'm quite happy with this one though.
Knitted for my mom, it fits her perfectly!

I need something different now, so I've started knitting this kofte. It's my first time knitting something that isn't circular yoke, so I'm both scared and excited. I'm using a lovely yarn called Rauma Tumi, it's 50% wool and 50% alpaca. Very soft and feels amazing to knit with.

This is beautiful. I'm starting to get the itch to knit another sweater ungh.

My brother knocked up his GF and she is super sentimental. I was thinking of knitting a baby blanket for it. Am I crazy? I was thinking a nice superwash wool. Any thoughts?

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Thanks!
For the blanket, how about merino? Very soft and non-itchy.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

HungryMedusa posted:

This is beautiful. I'm starting to get the itch to knit another sweater ungh.

My brother knocked up his GF and she is super sentimental. I was thinking of knitting a baby blanket for it. Am I crazy? I was thinking a nice superwash wool. Any thoughts?

Not crazy, handmade blankets are always super well received. And baby blankets really aren't all that large so they actually don't take a huge amount of time. Pick a pattern with some interest - cool borders, cables, lace, something to break up the repetitiveness because it can tend to drag if it's just the same drat thing for like 36"x36"

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Easy lace is great for a baby blanket. The baby's got something to stick their fingers in, it won't be overly warm if they wind up wanting it all the time, and lace in non-lace-weight goes so much quicker!

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

effika posted:

Easy lace is great for a baby blanket. The baby's got something to stick their fingers in, it won't be overly warm if they wind up wanting it all the time, and lace in non-lace-weight goes so much quicker!

That's good as long the holes in the lace aren't small enough to snag their fingers and toes in.

I'm about to start a baby blanket for a friend myself, but I've been struggling with pattern ideas. I'm going to make it a mossy green color, so perhaps a leaf motif would work.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
What about Sprout or Arboria?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Sprout is great! I think I want to do that one.

Now I have to decide if I am going to buy yarn or spin it. I have until december.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.
I made a Sprout for a friend, it was very well received.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/meggpi/sprout-blanket

Knitpicks Comfy Worsted has become my baby blanket yarn of choice.

On another topic, I'm getting married and I'm thinking of buying a plain dress and knitting a capelet/circular shawl or whatnot and would love pattern suggestions to add to my pile. The most advanced I've done is http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/echo-flower-shawl I'm comfortable with advanced lace stitches, it's tricky construction that loses me. I would like to bead it. It August 2017 so I know that a shawl isn't really season appropriate, but I figure it's no worse than sleeves plus it's evening/inside. Even younger, fitter me had arms not fit to see daylight. If you've seen anything amazing lately link me!