Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
where did leonhard go? i talked to him the first time and now i joined the covenant and want to talk to him again but he's not leaning on the throne anymore. does he move or leave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

where did leonhard go? i talked to him the first time and now i joined the covenant and want to talk to him again but he's not leaning on the throne anymore. does he move or leave?

He heads to the covenant room after a bit, I believe.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I haven't played Dark Souls in a long time and I've only made it through the High Wall area but I was surprised by how aggressive even the early game scrub hollow enemies are. They run really fast and attack relentlessly. I was also glad to see my friend, the naked katana guy from the shrine, available as a friendly phantom for Vordt. He gave his life once again so I could stab a giant ice knight that crawls like a dog in the rear end repeatedly until it died.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

The Shortest Path posted:

He heads to the covenant room after a bit, I believe.

I actually just was checking there, didn't see him. Whatever, I'll just keep playing and try to get my red orb later I guess, he will probably turn up.

e: yeah i never grabbed his key, just the orbs like an idiot. Hopefully he turns up again, otherwise, i guess no invasions this playthrough?

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 14, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
So, uh, I sat down a few hours ago to sunbro the Settlement boss to re-ember up.

It was doing the roomba thing, which is funny, but in at least its case, it turns out it can't hurt me. "Huh, this is convenient," says I.

So I ran it again for giggles, and it did the same thing.

Long story short, now I have 110k souls, 45 embers, and 35 sunlight medals in my inventory. Now I need to decide what to do with the souls; I might actually outlevel a chunk of people at that boss if I dump them all into levels, and that's no good, I only have one later boss cleared.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Krinkle posted:

Someone already summoned them. Try again. Try like crazy. It's hungry hungry hippoes but with summons out there.

Doh! I'd been playing so much Bloodborne, I forgot this was a thing you could run into.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

slev posted:

What's the second number beside attack power mean? Attribute bonus?

Its the bonus damage you are getting out of the scaling on your stats.

Zaphod42 posted:

Boring? Wow. Try paying more attention. There's been tons of clues to exactly what is happening but like every dark souls game before, its very subtle and you have to pay attention to what people say.

People keep saying this, and I want to believe it, but almost every NPC is still saying the same stuff they said at the beginning. And the few times they changed their dialogue it usually didn't talk about the other people in Firelink. Like, I'm still not sure why turtle pilgrim is dead. Just come back one day, he's a corpse, nobody seems to care.

Fire keeper lady sits around here all loving day, you'd think she could give me a hint every once in awhile. The most helpful guy so far has been the crestfallen analogue but he's gone missing as well. He did that before and came back so I guess he just likes to get some fresh air.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nuebot posted:

So I hollowed the hell out of myself and this dude is calling me his lord now. Free lordship and five levels, pretty sweet gig.

:3: :hf: :3:

Yoel's a good buddy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Internet Kraken posted:

People keep saying this, and I want to believe it, but almost every NPC is still saying the same stuff they said at the beginning. And the few times they changed their dialogue it usually didn't talk about the other people in Firelink. Like, I'm still not sure why turtle pilgrim is dead. Just come back one day, he's a corpse, nobody seems to care.

Fire keeper lady sits around here all loving day, you'd think she could give me a hint every once in awhile. The most helpful guy so far has been the crestfallen analogue but he's gone missing as well. He did that before and came back so I guess he just likes to get some fresh air.

Turtle pilgrim is dead because you accepted the dark power, and his days were numbered anyways. A new person will show up soon to explain it. Just hang on and be observant and don't complain before you've even beaten the game :v:

Also every single dark souls game, you miss most of the quests your first run but you have fun because its cool anyways and you kill bosses. Then quests give you something to do on NG+ or your second character.

The only people who do quests successfully on their first run are people who play through with the game guide in their laps. Have y'all played DeS, DS1 or DS2? That's exactly how they worked too.

People pop in and out. Crestfallen is actually outside of firelink, but he'll come back inside later too.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

holy poo poo finally made it to abyss watchers. i've made like 4 chars and haven't done anything past crystal sage, this poo poo is crazy

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The keep is kind of undercut by the fact poison is gimped as hell. I have noticed. Though dealing with poison and those curse shooting frogs are kind of a threat.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaphod42 posted:

Turtle pilgrim is dead because you accepted the dark power, and his days were numbered anyways. A new person will show up soon to explain it. Just hang on and be observant and don't complain before you've even beaten the game :v:

I didn't accept anything from him. He just kicked the bucket as soon as I beat the abyss watchers.

I don't really care about getting everything on my first run, since that's impossible, but I don't get what's going on. And the way people talk makes it feel like I'm missing obvious things, so I run around Firelink looking for new stuff, then get frustrated when its all the same.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Internet Kraken posted:

I didn't accept anything from him. He just kicked the bucket as soon as I beat the abyss watchers.

Oh, well in that case he's dead because you didn't accept his power ever, but either way he was doomed from the moment you met him. Pilgrims travel knowing they'll die, and he begged you for death originally. It makes sense.

Remember the hundreds of pilgrim corpses outside the blue way lady's place or on the bridge? Foreshadowing :v:

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't really care about getting everything on my first run, since that's impossible, but I don't get what's going on. And the way people talk makes it feel like I'm missing obvious things, so I run around Firelink looking for new stuff, then get frustrated when its all the same.

That's cool, just try not to get frustrated. You're still early on, you have to get far for the plot to keep advancing. Just make sure you read item descriptions for things you get and try to read between the lines, you'll be fine.

But souls games are always about ambiguity and mystery, that's the fun. It'll form more of a complete image as you go.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

He was literally the only dude still standing-ish of the High Wall pilgrims you saw. Frankly it's a surprise he made it that long. (I prefer the experience of accepting his offer, though, it kinda floored me before I learned he'll eventually pass away anyway. :v: )

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So the Crystal Sage can apparently be stunlocked hard enough she can't teleport. Me and a summoned dude managed to catch her after a single teleport and whaled on her until she was down to 1/4 health.

I know she's an easy boss, especially if you bring a buddy to split up the incoming fire, but that was the easiest time I've ever had fighting her.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can someone give me the skinny on equip burden and rolling? I'm having trouble finding anything good on it.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Alkydere posted:

So the Crystal Sage can apparently be stunlocked hard enough she can't teleport. Me and a summoned dude managed to catch her after a single teleport and whaled on her until she was down to 1/4 health.

I know she's an easy boss, especially if you bring a buddy to split up the incoming fire, but that was the easiest time I've ever had fighting her.

I just had that boss big out and get infinite health most of the way through the fight. For gently caress's sake, Fromsoft.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Can someone give me the skinny on equip burden and rolling? I'm having trouble finding anything good on it.

<40% faster roll, <70% normal roll.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

NESguerilla posted:

From what I've seen, at 70% you start fat rolling, and from there down its all the same roll, just a little snappier and with more distance.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Rerolled a silly strength-based Deprived, it's a good time.

Has equip load always included things you have equipped but aren't currently holding in your hands? I thought it didn't and equipped a bunch of situational crap, I could have been in 3x thicker armor if I didn't have three shields equipped.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The keep is kind of undercut by the fact poison is gimped as hell. I have noticed. Though dealing with poison and those curse shooting frogs are kind of a threat.

I just ended up wandering through the poison water aimlessly, you don't have any ill effect once you are already poisoned and the DOT is so slow.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Got killed three times helping people fight the Tree rear end in a top hat, nailed it my first time solo. People are bad.

I would have been plastered without the practice runs. Not having a cutscene doesn't help to notice stuff.

Also, I feel I'm missing something in Undead Village. How many bonfires are in it?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I just had that boss big out and get infinite health most of the way through the fight. For gently caress's sake, Fromsoft.

Good to know the boss bugs range from "freebie" to "unwinnable"

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Has equip load always included things you have equipped but aren't currently holding in your hands? I thought it didn't and equipped a bunch of situational crap, I could have been in 3x thicker armor if I didn't have three shields equipped.

It did in DSII. No idea about DSI, but equip load works the exact same way in II and III.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Appoda posted:

Where's that illusory wall? I've been looking all day for the way into the one-way room with the crystal demon -- is the illusory wall the answer?

Also, is it just me, or does the world seem to be a lot less dense with messages this time around? I see a few scrawls here and there, but hardly as many as DS1 or DS1, even long after their peak play hours.

It's in the tower where you find the Old Wolf of Farron. Go outside, you'll see a crystal lizard. The corner of the wall closest to where it spawns is illusory.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I just ended up wandering through the poison water aimlessly, you don't have any ill effect once you are already poisoned and the DOT is so slow.

Yeah poison is really bad. It was a huge threat in one and now who cares.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also the keep has a poorly programmed wall that gets you outside the map. People have helpfully labeled it with illusionary wall signs. Tricked me the first time.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

Less than 30% for light roll, less than 70% for medium roll. I don't think there's any difference in between those points other than for Flynn's Ring.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Did I just F something up? I joined the Mound Makers, killed the boss of the area, and the Mound Maker guy is dead at the bonfire now.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also the keep has a poorly programmed wall that gets you outside the map. People have helpfully labeled it with illusionary wall signs. Tricked me the first time.

The visual design of the areas is amazing, but the actual programming is...troublesome. There's some boulders that don't have bottoms in one corner of the Sage's arena and I've knocked multiple enemies through seemingly solid walls. Thankfully enemies knocked out of bounds just fall to their deaths (which makes lobbing a crystal lizard through the world merely hilarious instead of frustrating).

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nope that's how it works. Thankfully that dude does nothing helpful after you've joined the covenant, you turn in the items at the shrine behind him.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Has anyone tried a luck build yet? There seems to be a few neat items / weapons that would be fun, but on the other hand poison seems terrible and bleed feels like it takes forever to proc.

Also the Wolf covenant is so loving fun. It's the only form of PvP I've found so far where you don't just get ganged up on constantly. Pretty good mix of 1v1, 2v1, and 2v2 matches so far, and there is nothing better in the world than getting people smashed by a giant crab. That's also a really brutal area to get invaded in, because there are 2 potential Watchdogs, an NPC invader, and 2 mini-bosses, plus the crabs and deep water.

Also people get really, really mad when you spam the "Call Over" emote afterward. I do it every time and this last invasion, me and the second Watchdog broke it out at the same exact moment by pure chance. It was magical.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Has anyone tried a luck build yet? There seems to be a few neat items / weapons that would be fun, but on the other hand poison seems terrible and bleed feels like it takes forever to proc.

They're universally not worth it. Poison ticks too slowly and for too little, bleed takes an eternity and then several more years to proc on a player and most of the luck weapons are novelties at best.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It makes me giggle a bit that when you take off your Loincloth (which is half a scrap of leather) is shows full thigh-length, immaculately white underwear instead. I took off my armor and found more clothes.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Got killed three times helping people fight the Tree rear end in a top hat, nailed it my first time solo. People are bad.

Feel like co-op is really poorly tilted. poo poo just has too much hp, things are much easier to solo.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

Do you have to buy his armor back from Patches?

I did the settlement part and he just straight up wasn't in the well

what's up with that

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
So yeah, it does seem like if you kill the boss after you get the sorceror seller guy, he's just gone forever...which means I guess I'm going to just have to beat the game as a Sorceror with just Soul greatsword, Affinity, Dark Soul Greatsword, Great Soul Arrow, and Great Heavy Soul Arrow.

That's kind of dumb, but I guess I'm up for a challenge? No idea why they would set it up this way.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

They drop kunais and everything! They also jump around you throwing them at you from every angle, straight outa naruto or some poo poo.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Also the Wolf covenant is so loving fun. It's the only form of PvP I've found so far where you don't just get ganged up on constantly. Pretty good mix of 1v1, 2v1, and 2v2 matches so far, and there is nothing better in the world than getting people smashed by a giant crab. That's also a really brutal area to get invaded in, because there are 2 potential Watchdogs, an NPC invader, and 2 mini-bosses, plus the crabs and deep water.

Also people get really, really mad when you spam the "Call Over" emote afterward. I do it every time and this last invasion, me and the second Watchdog broke it out at the same exact moment by pure chance. It was magical.

Orv posted:

They're universally not worth it. Poison ticks too slowly and for too little, bleed takes an eternity and then several more years to proc on a player and most of the luck weapons are novelties at best.

If you go hollow, luck is very good. There's a weapon infusion that makes your weapon damage scale on luck, and gives you bonus luck based on how hollowed you are. If you throw that on a weapon that already has bleed like the uchigatana you can get some good mileage out of it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

kater posted:

Feel like co-op is really poorly tilted. poo poo just has too much hp, things are much easier to solo.

I think the sweet spot is only 1 buddy in a lot of places, not 2. 1 buddy gives a moderate health increase but gives you the advantages of having help. 2 gives the NPCs way too much health.

That being said, treeboss is an utter chump and people who have buddies along really shouldn't lose to him.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hahah Deacons of the Deep is hilarious. Its like they wanted to redo Prowling Magus as an actual fight. I almost lost because of the curse meter filling up. Killed the boss with just a sliver of resistance left before I would of been cursed and killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks for the rolling info guys. I was over analyzing it.