Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Evil Fluffy posted:

Can't wait to see the DPS from a BLU whose deck consists of Bahamut, Midgardsormyr, Odin, Louisoix, and Ultima Weapon Godbert. :getin:

I want to replace my AST's Spire card with Godbert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Fluffy posted:

As long as they have a basic rotation down they'll still out-DPS a lot of people. They just need to keep the attack speed buff up and remember to fuma or raiton occasionally. People need to remember that unless they're doing progression content, their DPS is going to be more than enough as long as they're doing positionals properly and not forgetting to use oGCD skills.

Well yeah, I can basically sleepwalk through content as a DPS unless it's progression raiding. In under 50 content I'm pretty sure I have literally sleepwalked through content as a DPS.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FaintlyQuaint posted:

I hope this never happens because evasion tanks are poo poo.

I'm sure every healer would just love to take care of a tank that either takes no damage or half of their health on every single hit.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm sure every healer would just love to take care of a tank that either takes no damage or half of their health on every single hit.

Also a joy to try to balance content around.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

The Grimace posted:

I think SE learned their lesson about evasion tanks after the eventual revelation FFXI's playerbase had with Ninja tanks. They did everything they could to ensure the playerbase that Ninja in XIV would not be a viable tank as a result.

I think an evasion tank is still a cool idea, but they would need to seriously plan to make one realized in XIV.
If it happens it's going to be a Hallowed Ground clone where you 'evade' all damage taken. Then you're just a normal tank afterwards.
They've already been stepping away from evasion tanking by nerfing Manawall and adjusting Nin's Shadow Shift. It's not going to happen and it's detriments far outweigh how interesting it would be.

The best indication (sans ACT) for how well you're doing as DPS is how long stuff takes to die. Pretty much every dungeon should take an average of 30 mins with everyone pulling their weight. If it takes less then you're doing awesome. If it takes more then you've wiped/someone's not pulling their weight (this can include honest healers though that's more true at level cap than leveling.)

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I do secretly hope that BST eventually comes into FFXIV somehow, but until then I'm happy to stick with SMN when I need a pet fix. BST would be the perfect opportunity to revamp and flesh out the Companion system which is just hardcoded for chocobros right now.

Of course, I can always just resub to FFXI for a bit if I really want to steamroll poo poo with my own NPC army. :v:

The Grimace posted:

I think SE learned their lesson about evasion tanks after the eventual revelation FFXI's playerbase had with Ninja tanks. They did everything they could to ensure the playerbase that Ninja in XIV would not be a viable tank as a result.

I think an evasion tank is still a cool idea, but they would need to seriously plan to make one realized in XIV.

I don't think evasion taking would work in FFXIV considering how the engine is very much built around the "holy trinity" metagame. In this game, tanks have high HP and mitigate damage, full stop.

I would rather they work on adding more content and new jobs for additional Final Fantasy flavor.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Still hoping Samurai ends up being a FFT-based class. Heavy armor DPS with int as their primary stat and their abilities are the various Draw skills. :getin:

I would love for this to happen.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
You sorta have to design content around evasion tanks existing, but it's not impossible to do. You'd need all the tankbusters to work like Holy Bladedance, is most of it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ideas for new classes are like assholes: everyone has one, and they all stink.

Keep trying though guys, I'm sure Yoshi P will read your posts and take your brilliant ideas into consideration.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
^^: https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/rock_band.png

The Echo: Buff active up to 1 min, 150s cooldown. Take only 25% damage from the next attack that would deal at least 50% of your current HP

There, tweak that skill around a bit and tankbusters are solved

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 13, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's just a convoluted way of saying "you only take 25% damage from the next attack". What would the point of an evasion tank be if they just have an insanely powerful mitigation cooldown like that? And tank busters aren't the only problem, you still have to deal with basic attacks either causing zero or a lot of damage, which would make healing a nightmare like I already said.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
And if it's not a healing nightmare because they have the requisite HP to take some hits, then they're really no different than the other tanks.

Having a tank with a lot of reactionary abilities (Riposte, Haymaker) and having the reaction be a way to speed up/empower their use would be an interesting take on it.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

I bet everyone gets a collective laugh when they go linkdead and start disconnecting.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Fister Roboto posted:

The Honest Healers would love it, because they'd only be able to babysit the tank, and would not be able to do something else.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 14, 2016

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Evasion tanks are always either garbage or completely overpowered except in games that are way more action-heavy than FFXIV will ever be. If they have half a brain they will never have an evasion tank.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Truga posted:

I have ACT in working order and will run it if you ask me. I normally don't use it though because clicking on an icon is :effort:, and it just gets me depressed because I'm a bad :v:

Which goon mate are you? I'll ask and we can post it here so people can laugh help and add pointers.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Some days it's hard to be a moody edgelord.

X

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
ok I'm starting to fill out my Scholar gear with pre-Savage BiS and pondering the question of what materia to put in it. I saw lots of theorycrafting about putting accuracy in but I feel like on the fights where materia will actually make a difference I don't have the mana to spend DPSing. So I was thinking of building Mind instead. But then I thought maybe Energy Drain can miss and not give any mana back, so maybe Accuracy is technically a mana stat for me?

Please advise.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Clairetic posted:

ok I'm starting to fill out my Scholar gear with pre-Savage BiS and pondering the question of what materia to put in it. I saw lots of theorycrafting about putting accuracy in but I feel like on the fights where materia will actually make a difference I don't have the mana to spend DPSing. So I was thinking of building Mind instead. But then I thought maybe Energy Drain can miss and not give any mana back, so maybe Accuracy is technically a mana stat for me?

Please advise.

Accuracy. DPS matters in every single fight in the game. Just because there aren't any enrage checks to make doesn't mean people want to hang out in Antitower for 40 minutes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

That's just a convoluted way of saying "you only take 25% damage from the next attack". What would the point of an evasion tank be if they just have an insanely powerful mitigation cooldown like that? And tank busters aren't the only problem, you still have to deal with basic attacks either causing zero or a lot of damage, which would make healing a nightmare like I already said.

SWTOR had a tank (assassin/shadow) that was based on "evasion" (really shield iirc?) and at one point in the hardest raid tier they were impossible to use because it was a literal coin flip to see if they survived a mechanic. The next expansion they homogenized the tanks by giving them all the same armor stats in tank stance so they wouldn't have to balance it anymore.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Klades posted:

Evasion tanks are always either garbage or completely overpowered except in games that are way more action-heavy than FFXIV will ever be. If they have half a brain they will never have an evasion tank.

Yeah, I understand that on the face of it, the gimmick is definitely iffy, and up to the RNG more than player skill. Perhaps "evasion" is the wrong way to phrase it. A theoretical Dancer tank doesn't need to rely solely on dodges to survive, so long as it feels like it. This is just my stinky rear end in a top hat talking, to turn a phrase, but I like the idea of a dancer commanding the attention of the room, which is the tank's job, so I thought that some kind of mechanic to make them tanks would be a fun way to spin the job. Take the other tanks in this game: They play differently, but are still pretty similar in that they have ways to mitigate damage, or survive bigger hits. Warriors and Dark Knights do not use shields, and they're able to tank just fine, and Paladins do not rely solely on the board half of their sword/board combo. A lot of the difference is aesthetic, in that regard. At the bleeding edge of end-game there may be appreciable differences between the three that make one favourable over the others for certain content, but the vast majority of the game's dungeons can be easily and effectively tanked by any one of the three tanking jobs.

A dancer tank would probably play the same way, but would stylistically and aesthetically appear to be more nimble and evasive than a Paladin or Warrior might be. Mechanically, the numbers behind how they take damage would be similar to how Warriors and Dark Knights do it, but their animations, skills, and cooldowns would be built around the illusion of doing the foxtrot around your enemies.

I haven't played WoW in a long time, so I'm not sure how they do Brewmasters in current content, but there's an example of a light-armored tank that relies on shields and absorbs and is still able to cover the bases in the game's content. Surely something similar could be developed.

Obviously, I'm not a game designer. This is just a silly fantasy discussion about a hypothetical idea.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Apologies if this has been asked a thousand times (I may have even been one of those thousand and just forgotten) but are the duty roulettes worth it for leveling past 50+ or are you better off just grinding out HW dungeons at that point?

In other words, if I'm leveling a DPS and only have time for two dungeons, will I get more XP from running LDR and 50DR, or from running two Sohm Als?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

They're very worth it at 50-55, then by then the bonus starts being less than spectacular iirc. However, lvl50 roulette is easily sub 15 minutes generally and a fast queue.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I don't think that a pure evasion tank would work for the reasons that have been outlined, you could probably find some way to do something kind of thematic with a theoretical Dancer tank. Maybe give them a huge MP pool, lesser HP, and have some sort of tanking dance that redirects a portion of damage taken into the MP pool instead. Give them ways to refill their mana (cooldowns, combo finishers, whatever) that would require active effort by the tank to keep that aspect of their defense up and running. Healers would have less of the typical evasion tank problem with their tank missing a dodge and just flat out exploding or losing most of their life, but might have to approach healing that tank differently if they have to fail back to keeping a tank up with a comparatively small HP total.

They've already hit a few sides of the tank self-sustainability design with what they have right now, but you could experiment with the design space outside direct health leeching or self-cast healing spells.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Bring back XI PLDs subbing WHM and keeping hate by constantly casting Cure on themselves.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

In my experience recently, if you do 50, leveling, and trial roulettes, plus Vanu and Vath dailies, you'll get a little under a level per day.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I would recommend against doing 50 or main story roulette on AST as you level it. It feels so bad to finally have AoE that isn't blizzard II and then have that ripped away from you in AoE-heavy contexts.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
As an AST main, OH GOD YES.

It even feels bad to have Malefic II taken away from you.

And Time Dilation.
And Collective Unconscious.
and Celestial Opposition.

Pretty much all the buttons that makes AST a hoot to play.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I would recommend against doing 50 or main story roulette on AST as you level it. It feels so bad to finally have AoE that isn't blizzard II and then have that ripped away from you in AoE-heavy contexts.

That's how I feel as a nin whenever I get synched out of Armor Crush. I quickly forgot how awful it is to reapply Huton.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Apologies if this has been asked a thousand times (I may have even been one of those thousand and just forgotten) but are the duty roulettes worth it for leveling past 50+ or are you better off just grinding out HW dungeons at that point?

In other words, if I'm leveling a DPS and only have time for two dungeons, will I get more XP from running LDR and 50DR, or from running two Sohm Als?

Since they added experience rewards from enemies in the 50 Roulette, it's very much worth it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Also bear in mind that, unless you need the currency at 60, Trials Roulette is generally quite fast and gives a nice chunk of XP.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Even Steps of Faith. Got that recently, and we had one dumbass throw a poo poo-fit and bail on it before the barrier even went down. Replacement joined, and we won effortlessly just after the first dragonkiller. Newbie bonus too. There should really be a PSA that it's not too bad of a trial to get any more.

(I see that occasionally with Ultros/Typhon too, even though if the sneeze mechanic gets hosed up you can ignore it just by standing dead center of the platform and you won't be knocked off, so the fight will continue.)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So uh, remember how everyone bitched about how lame the slyph stealth quests were? The rank 3 one (Mist Opportunities) seems to be easily cheesed. As soon as you talk to the one that turns you invisible, just turn it off (right clicking it) and then get on a mount and run to the spots you need to go to. Makes that quest a real breeze.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

At 58 I got 550K XP for finishing up a LLDR.

I'm sure I'll find the right crafting collectible once i'm actually 60 but least while leveling thank gently caress they put in "make a lumber/ingot/whatever" at 56 because gently caress everything else I can spam those with a macro straight to 60 with very little cost to myself. Meanwhile the actual items given more but take just as much material as busting out 6 whatever while i'm barely paying attention.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Roulettes are great. When I was leveling PLD from 50-60, Main Scenario Roulette always gave atleast 1/3rd of the level for how simple it is. Big time saver.

SonicRulez posted:

That's how I feel as a nin whenever I get synched out of Armor Crush. I quickly forgot how awful it is to reapply Huton.

God, I agree with this. Armor Crush is definitely the best thing Ninja gets in HW. I'm sure some tanks love when I use Shadewalker, but god drat if I can't live without Armor Crush now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel like the 55-57 grind is the worst, just because exp required really inflates and you get really sick of running the Aery a million times. At least the Vault is considerably less painful in comparison.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ApplesandOranges posted:

I feel like the 55-57 grind is the worst, just because exp required really inflates and you get really sick of running the Aery a million times. At least the Vault is considerably less painful in comparison.

The last boss of Vault with a bad healer can be pretty terrible.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The other problem with DEX tanks or INT tanks that people keep suggesting is that they'd have to make an entirely new class of armor just for them, or do something stupid and clunky like what they did for ninjas. Remember that? Remember how all monk gear in 2.4 had DEX added to it? They had to do that because ninjas had to use DEX as their mainstat, and the reason for that was......?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The Grimace posted:

Roulettes are great. When I was leveling PLD from 50-60, Main Scenario Roulette always gave atleast 1/3rd of the level for how simple it is. Big time saver.

God, I agree with this. Armor Crush is definitely the best thing Ninja gets in HW. I'm sure some tanks love when I use Shadewalker, but god drat if I can't live without Armor Crush now.

I feel kind of similarly about Iron Jaws. It's not quite as essential but I really miss it when I don't have it.

The absolute worst is when you get synced to Sohm Al, and you're high enough to have Wanderer's Minuet and not Iron Jaws.

• Locked thread