Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
this monster on the irithyll bridge looks kind of like the bad moles in moles quest and also they're very hard to punch to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

goldjas posted:

So yeah, it does seem like if you kill the boss after you get the sorceror seller guy, he's just gone forever...which means I guess I'm going to just have to beat the game as a Sorceror with just Soul greatsword, Affinity, Dark Soul Greatsword, Great Soul Arrow, and Great Heavy Soul Arrow.

That's kind of dumb, but I guess I'm up for a challenge? No idea why they would set it up this way.

There's another sorcery vendor in Road of Sacrifices, upstairs from the building that leads to the Crystal Sage.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Get hosed you gigantic rear end in a top hat.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

There's another sorcery vendor in Road of Sacrifices, upstairs from the building that leads to the Crystal Sage.

That guy also leaves after killing the Abyss Watchers unless you get him the golden tome from a cave in the swamp before that happens.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Has anyone tried a luck build yet? There seems to be a few neat items / weapons that would be fun, but on the other hand poison seems terrible and bleed feels like it takes forever to proc.

I tried 40 dex/30 luck for a while but I couldn't find any weapon that justified the luck over any other stat. The luck sword and hollow weapons were just hitting about as hard as normal dex scaling weapons. Poison is terrible and I don't think bleed does enough damage to be worth it.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
So has anyone found a reliable source for titanite shards? Right now it's just such a pain to get another weapon to +3.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Rubberduke posted:

So has anyone found a reliable source for titanite shards? Right now it's just such a pain to get another weapon to +3.

The hollows that turn into giant snake monsters seem pretty good to me. Let them transform and they had an almost 100% drop rate when I wanted some.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.
Is there anti-grind system in that part of souls? I'm not the best player so I was thinking to outlevel a bit myself to make it easier.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Rubberduke posted:

If you have gotten to the Farron swamp area, there's an illusory wall hiding some ashes that unlock titanite shards at the vendor. It's in the same tower where you join the Wolf Covenant - just look for a message on the wall outside.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Kirs posted:

Is there anti-grind system in that part of souls? I'm not the best player so I was thinking to outlevel a bit myself to make it easier.

No, the enemy extinction system that was in DaS2 is gone, grind away to your hearts' desire

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

So that really high bridge area over the swamp. Is that, like, supposed to be a great big callback? Because even without the stray demon and the old school hollow spearmen and the dead hellkite drake, I was getting some strong deja vu. I get the feeling the answer is going to be 'keep playing the game' but either way that was a pretty awesome unexpected thing to find tucked away like that.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The one thing I wish they'd changed is making fashion souls drops a little more common. Feels like I have to murder so many enemies to get things to drop, and then there's a risk of them just being duplicates. I just want to make cool costumes :(

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh good, the Dancer's second blade effects tank my framerate in insane ways, that's probably not good for that fight.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
holy poo poo does anything in Irithyll not do a million loving damage

Thumbtacks posted:

I did the settlement part and he just straight up wasn't in the well

what's up with that

He only seemed to show up there for me after I activated the shortcut near the boss door of the Cathedral.

Internet Kraken posted:

Hahah Deacons of the Deep is hilarious. Its like they wanted to redo Prowling Magus as an actual fight. I almost lost because of the curse meter filling up. Killed the boss with just a sliver of resistance left before I would of been cursed and killed.

I just finished a playthrough of DS2 the week before, and this fight really encompasses the differences between the two games. Technically speaking the fights aren't THAT different from each other, but DS3 amazing music and an awesome arena and a bunch of unique assets and an actual lore justification for you kicking the poo poo out of a mob of clergymen.

I don't know if it's a bigger budget or the return of the DS1 director but for me Dark Souls 3 could justifiably subtitled "Dark Souls Got Its Mojo Back"

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Also how is "Knight" censored, when I just invaded a dude named "Ricky Dicky."

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cicadalek posted:

I just finished a playthrough of DS2 the week before, and this fight really encompasses the differences between the two games. Technically speaking the fights aren't THAT different from each other, but DS3 amazing music and an awesome arena and a bunch of unique assets and an actual lore justification for you kicking the poo poo out of a mob of clergymen.

I don't know if it's a bigger budget or the return of the DS1 director but for me Dark Souls 3 could justifiably subtitled "Dark Souls Got Its Mojo Back"

Nah its just because all the lovely bosses that are easy to kill aren't actually bosses in this game.

Take for example the smouldering lake worm; big impressive enemy visually, would definitely be a boss in the last two games. Completely trivial to kill so they didn't bother making it one.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Internet Kraken posted:

Nah its just because all the lovely bosses that are easy to kill aren't actually bosses in this game.

Take for example the smouldering lake worm; big impressive enemy visually, would definitely be a boss in the last two games. Completely trivial to kill so they didn't bother making it one.

I helped people with that boss just past him and nobody killed it. They were huddling against the wall hiding from the death from above. I tried to make the death fight the thing but it didn't work and I died. I didn't kill the thing either. I don't think it is killable while the death is above. I do not know how to stop the death. I can only hide against the wall, from the thing and the death alike.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Is there anything to raise curse resist? There's a certain kind of enemy in the swamp that I'm terrified of and curse resist would help me in exploring over by them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Boreal Valley is a gorgeous area, but everything past it has been an exhausting slog. At the second Lord of Cinder I'm not even sure if I'm having fun anymore.

Pontiff Sulyvahn destroyed me over and over again but felt like a legitimate challenge. Aldritch on the other hand is just...insanely tedious. Far too many projectiles that do far too much damage, and all the time in the world to make the single mistake that it'll take.

Doesn't help that the run back to Aldritch is by far the worst of any boss yet.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

So, what does the first giant in the cathedral drop? I killed it up top and went to go restore my estus but its drop seems to have vanished.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Einwand posted:

So, what does the first giant in the cathedral drop? I killed it up top and went to go restore my estus but its drop seems to have vanished.

A large titanite shard and some dung pies.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Einwand posted:

Dung pies and something else middling if I remember right. They've pretty mediocre loot for how annoying they are, unlike those tree-root holding jerks in the poison swamp.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Farron's keep is the poison from DeS 5-2 with the more annoying enemies from 5-1.

I did get cursed once but it didn't seem to affect anything - am I missing something? I know there is someone that can remove curse in the area you get to with the sewer key.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Vince MechMahon posted:

Is there anything to raise curse resist? There's a certain kind of enemy in the swamp that I'm terrified of and curse resist would help me in exploring over by them.

There's an armor set with high curse resist in a cave in the swamp. Unfortunately I think it's located past several of the enemies that curse you. I'd like to be more specific but who knows where anything is in that loving place.

Orv
May 4, 2011
:gonk: Freaky-rear end poo poo quota achieved.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

Orv posted:

:gonk: Freaky-rear end poo poo quota achieved.

You found the spider enemies in Irithyll, didn't you?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Cicadalek posted:

holy poo poo does anything in Irithyll not do a million loving damage

He only seemed to show up there for me after I activated the shortcut near the boss door of the Cathedral.

Oh hey, there he is. Do I need to buy all his pieces to make him come out of the well? I want to keep his hat, it's perfect.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

You found the spider enemies in Irithyll, didn't you?

Nah those are actually pretty neat, I mean the stretch armstrong babyhead gollums which is a hell of a thing I just typed.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Dangit, I'd of had a +5 lothric long spear if that other shard hadn't vanished. Oh well I'll live.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

As the honey moon starts to wear off, the main thing that's starting to concern me about DS3 is linearity and loot placement:

The non-physical Coals are so gently caress deep in the game, and a lot of good spells are so buried in the mid-game of a very linear game that for the first time in a Dark Souls I'm not really anticipating rolling a new character: Because I know that if I'm not doing a quality build, Raw Astora for the early to mid game is almost certainly the right call. With the way they've structured loot and abilities, I feel like there's a lot less real options for how-to-play-the-game than in previous iterations.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Does Grass crest shield stack w/ Chloranthy ring for extra bonus stamina regen? Any reason I should NOT be jazzed to use the grass shield once again in a DS game??

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
:stare: Those are some big loving crabs

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ignimbrite posted:

:stare: Those are some big loving crabs

Wait till you see the big ones move.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

Oh hey, there he is. Do I need to buy all his pieces to make him come out of the well? I want to keep his hat, it's perfect.

All the armor pieces, yeah. I haven't finished his plotline yet but I am really hoping you can get his armor in the end. Me and that helmet have been through a whole lot.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Hoooly poo poo, why is Lightning Spear so insanely weak in this game? I'm feeling like I pumped all these points into faith for nothing now :\ It does like 90 damage when Soul Arrow does 70 for a third of the mana cost.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

a cop posted:

Hoooly poo poo, why is Lightning Spear so insanely weak in this game? I'm feeling like I pumped all these points into faith for nothing now :\ It does like 90 damage when Soul Arrow does 70 for a third of the mana cost.

The Lightning Spear line in DS3 does more damage the closer you are. Yes, it's a bizarre design choice. :shrug:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So the only reason I can think of for the cage guy not spawning for me is that I killed the phantom Hodrick when he invaded me. Has anyone else had this issue?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What are the best Pyromancies? So far Combustion is disturbingly useless and Fire Orb seems great. The splash fireball is useless too.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Cicadalek posted:

All the armor pieces, yeah. I haven't finished his plotline yet but I am really hoping you can get his armor in the end. Me and that helmet have been through a whole lot.

Same. It looks so good in this one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Songbearer posted:

I made a little video celebrating the early hours of Dark Souls 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twy4cYsbxXg

And yes, I have played the other games in the series. Why? What's wrong? :downs:

That was good, and you should feel good.