Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Dropping the review embargo a month before release is basically counting coup on DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Maybe they'll sack Henry Cavill and let the jar of pee play superman.

Just draw a frowny face on it and you're golden.

:golfclap:

Please consider having an exhibition match with SMG.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yaws posted:

I am. It looks fun. Ayer has a mostly solid body of work. At the very least, it should trump BvS

Maybe it's just BvS disappointment fatugue, but the last SS trailer actually got me excited for the film. It was fun, right up until they got literal with the Ballroom Blitz lyrics.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Looks like Warner Bros. isn't putting their "cinematic universe" eggs into one basket, but are planning a Hanna-Barbera cinematic universe with the Scooby Doo reboot :rolleyes:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/12/scooby-doo-reboot-hanna-barbera-warner-bros

quote:

Most intriguing of all is S.C.O.O.B., a Scooby-Doo reboot slated for 2018 directed by Tony Cervone. In an announcement video, S.C.O.O.B. was described as “our first shot at unlocking the whole Hanna-Barbera Universe,” implying that the long-term plan is for the Scooby-Doo reboot to lead into a whole series of linked franchises based on the cartoons of William Hanna and Joseph Barbera. Warner subsidiary DC Comics is rolling out a slate of Hanna-Barbera comics; if synergy holds, we could be getting a high-octane big-screen reboot of Wacky Races as early as 2020. Heck, SeaLab 2020 could get a reboot by 2020.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm the guy who unironically came up with calling something S.C.O.O.B.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Young Freud posted:

Looks like Warner Bros. isn't putting their "cinematic universe" eggs into one basket, but are planning a Hanna-Barbera cinematic universe with the Scooby Doo reboot :rolleyes:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/12/scooby-doo-reboot-hanna-barbera-warner-bros

Who is the target demo for a Scooby Zoo remake? I can't even imagine.

naem
May 29, 2011

Sealab 2020 no really

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

naem posted:

Sealab 2020 no really

what are my powers under martian law?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

whatever7 posted:

I asked my friend take some portrait shots for my photography porfolio. He made me buy BvS tickets for him, in a Time Square theater. I ended up paying like 40 plus dollars to watch 2D Batman v Superman.

I'm terrified of the moment that the majority of humanity finally admits seeing movies in 3D is terrible, and so theaters make tickets for 2D showings more expensive

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

naem posted:

Sealab 2020 no really

expect Zack Snyder's gritty Space Ghost movie by 2025

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tricky D posted:

look man if they don't get in on it within the next few years, all the burnouts who watched it in the 70s are gonna be dead

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tricky D posted:

Apparently it's hipsters according the the upcoming comicbook:

quote:

"Those meddling kids—Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy, and their dog, Scooby-Doo—get more ghost-debunking than they bargained for when faced with a fundamental change in their world. The apocalypse has happened. Old rules about logic no longer apply. The creatures of the night are among us, and the crew of the Magical Mystery Machine has to fight to survive—because in the apocalyptic badlands of the near-future, the horrors are real!"
Note that Scooby now communicates via holographic emojis

Oh and the new Wacky Races will be heavily inspired by Mad Max, because of course it loving is

Here's the new Penelope Pittstop and Dick Darstardly & Muttley

I RACE, I DIE, I RACE AGAIN!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

But we already got a cool adult Wacky Races. It was called RedLine.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

im scooby doo's one anime eye

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

boom boom boom posted:

expect Zack Snyder's gritty Space Ghost movie by 2025

Surprisingly the newly relaunched Space Ghost comic stays incredibly faithful to the original version. It's also a shared universe deal including Johnny Quest, Birdman and and the Galaxy Trio, Frankenstein, Jr., the Herculoids and Mighty Mightor and mixing them all up in a galactic war that is somehow centred on Earth.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/parker-shaner-hanna-barbera-dc-future-quest-team-up

SHARED UNIVERSES FOR EVERYONE! SHARED UNIVERSES AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE! SHARED UNIVERSES FOREVER AND EVER!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

But we already got a cool adult Wacky Races. It was called RedLine.

Fury Road too

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
That Mark Millar stuff is loving insane.

As far as what Glistening Hodor said about maybe dying in Civil War you will probably see Bucky or Falcon take up the roll like in the comics. Both of their actors are locked in long term. Steve Cap could stay dead for awhile then pop back up three or four years from now in Infinity Wars if the actor figures out doing indie films doesn't pay for giant malibu houses.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

that comic about evil batman booby trapping a teen girls womb got optioned and is supposedly in pre-production with wb

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Wow I didn't expect the civil war reviews to be 100% after a dozen or so reviews. I wonder what BvS was at the same time after its release.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

that comic about evil batman booby trapping a teen girls womb got optioned and is supposedly in pre-production with wb

Explain your words.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Explain your words.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769615&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=58#post458666968

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Baby Vest had the right idea.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Baby Vest had the right idea.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Explain your words.

Oh drat, they really ARE making a film out of the boobytrapped incest womb superhero comic

quote:

The rights to make a Nemesis film were optioned by 20th Century Fox. Tony Scott was set to direct it before his death, in conjunction with his Scott Free production company. In 2010 it was reported that Joe Carnahan was working on the screenplay for the film. On March 6, 2012, Carnahan was confirmed as the director, and will be writing the script with his brother Matthew Carnahan. In December 2012, Carnahan announced via Twitter that he is indeed working on the screenplay for the film. On October 4, 2013, Deadline reported that Mark Millar has seen the script for Nemesis and has given praise to Joe and Matthew's take on his comic book character, stating the film is going to be "massive". On February 9, 2015, Millar said that the script by Joe Carnahan is finished and that, if Kingsman: The Secret Service does well at the box office, the film may start filming this year. On August 10, 2015, it was announced that Warner Bros will adapt the film.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_%28Icon_Comics%29#Film

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I for one can't wait for lovely Edgelord Comic: the Movie.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Oh and the new Wacky Races will be heavily inspired by Mad Max, because of course it loving is

gott in himmel

time to start another world war

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Justin Tyme posted:

gott in himmel

time to start another world war

At some point several adult humans got together in a room to discuss just how long Dick Darstardly's dreadlocks should be and how many knives Penelope Pitstop should have strapped to her skintight costume and exactly how long the teeth and claws need to be on Muttley's murderous exosuit, and then their managers and studio execs all signed off on it.

Edit: although it would be loving hilarious if they redesigned all the characters and vehicles to be grimdark post-apocalyptic murdermachines bristling with guns and blades but they kept the wacky hijinx and looney-tunes-esque pranks and traps from the original series

Edit2: the phrase 'grimdark' tends to get bandied about in places where it's not totally accurate but I'm pretty sure this new Wacky Races is genuinely grimdark

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 14, 2016

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

When I kill myself this will be my suicide note.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
I'm not gonna sugar coat this these reboots make me fear for the future of the human race

like... they can't possibly do well, right?or is any media property fundamentally profitable if you push it out there in this market

post apoc scooby doo... what is this what have we done

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

We're speeding along to a Fahrenheit 451 type future, except now the Government isn't destroying old media it's Hollywood destroying all evidence that stories existed outside of the 'Cinematic Universe' format.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I start a new job in a few hours and I very much worry people are going to ask me why I seem to be in a weird mood and I will have to respond with "There's a Hannah-Barbera Cinematic Universe coming"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They've been rebooting Wacky Races for over 40 years now, desperately trying to make it relevant for new audiences while also cashing in on the nostalgia for the old 1960s original series.

They went into Space in the 70s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEDsWNZPEVQ

They had submarines and flying sailing ships and rap in the 80s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY_cdMPcCv4

They used monster trucks in the 90s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohhCo2FKr9U

Later in the 90s they had a PI crime procedural show at the local mall with teenaged versions of the characters, including young Dick Darstardly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGOm0C0rbaU

In the 00s they tried to get Wacky Races "the next gen" off the ground but it didn't get past the pilot stage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nKKbXuilg4

I suppose "hyperviolent post-apocalyptic" version was just next on the list. Actually I guess that "cyber-races in the Matrix" was next on the list but they left it too late and missed that boat.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

I watched these, and 'Stop the Pigeon' and all that as a kid in the early 70's.

I get a hollow, sinking feeling just knowing these exist.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Doflamingo posted:

I saw Alien when I was six and it was fine, whatever.

I read Eläkeläinen muistelee when I was 12 and now I'm posting on the Something Awful forum.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

JESUS loving CHRIST

"Hey kids! Remember the end of the 90's when the Wachowskis and Bryan Singer ruined media?

No?

Ok, well do you remember Rob Zombie?

No?

Well anyways, good news kids! Remember Wacky Races?

No?

Well we spent a fortune on it, so here you go!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Since I'm actually not all that versed in film history, it blew my mind a few years ago when someone said (probably a RLM review) that back in the 70s and 80s people thought Spielberg was ruining films. I'd like to get a time machine and bring those people to today.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Unless someone's going around destroying old works, there's literally no way to "ruin" books/cartoons/movies/games/music. Nigga just turn away.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm the poo poo covered, unshaven hermit in the mountains attempting to explain to pilgrims that Ghostbusters was a story mostly made up by Dan Akroyd because he's a nut, and Harold Ramis knows how to make things funny.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Jerry Cotton posted:

Unless someone's going around destroying old works, there's literally no way to "ruin" books/cartoons/movies/games/music. Nigga just turn away.

Counterpoint: because of property rights when someone makes something terrible that means someone good isn't making it.

While the 2016 Ghostbusters doesn't "ruin" the old one, and people saying that are dumb dildos, someone like Zack Snyder having the rights to Superman means we are not getting a watchable Superman movie until he fucks off and they scrap this stupid DCEU shitshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Since I'm actually not all that versed in film history, it blew my mind a few years ago when someone said (probably a RLM review) that back in the 70s and 80s people thought Spielberg was ruining films. I'd like to get a time machine and bring those people to today.

I think the highest grossing blockbusters starting in the 80s has been spending increasingly more emphasis on special effect, and it's getting to the point that the "tentpole" movies are nothing but special effects, that can pass censor in China. People want to find someone to blame and they just point to the highest grossing directors in the late 70s and 80s.

And the special effect transitioned from analog to (worse) digital special effect in the last 40 years. You can definitely blame Lucas for it.

• Locked thread