Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
certainly the largest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

she's a well rounded character for sure (the well is a gravity well)

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

she is extremely fat

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

thief of light

more like

thief of LDLP

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

there's nothin' she can say, total attack of the heart

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's over. Thank God.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Enourmo posted:

there's nothin' she can say, total attack of the heart

Vriska has unconditional immortality, too.

timged because the image is - much like vriska - extremely wide.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

canon ending is it wasn't a black hole, it was vriska eating everything and still being unsatisfied

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Vriska has unconditional immortality, too.

timged because the image is - much like vriska - extremely wide.

Debatable. When Caliborn destroyed his clock, the hand was stuck on the midpoint. Vriska's was smashed with it firmly in 'Just'.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WAR FOOT posted:

Debatable. When Caliborn destroyed his clock, the hand was stuck on the midpoint. Vriska's was smashed with it firmly in 'Just'.

It was only just because the clock was (in the original timeline) actively judging her. Swinging back and forth between heroic and just.

In the retconned timeline she wasn't being judged.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
What ever happened to the second nannasprite?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Davinci posted:

What ever happened to the second nannasprite?

No idea, why was a second Nanasprite included at all?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wait what happened to the second john

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SynthOrange posted:

:iiam:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SynthOrange posted:

he'S behind you

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

We could probably fill a page with "Wait, what happened to X?"

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

wait, what happened to my life

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

you don't have an arc, silly

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
"people don't have arks" Jade says, as though she didn't live on a giant ship for three years.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zoolooman posted:

I can close the thread at the end of the month, but I'm... hoping people just kinda lay off once they have their say. :D Too optimistic?

you've been here how many years

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

WAR FOOT posted:

canon ending is it wasn't a black hole, it was vriska eating everything and still being unsatisfied
Vriska Serket Eats Everything

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Whatever happened to Hearts loving Boxcars

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he got blown the gently caress up

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Tollymain posted:

he got blown the gently caress up

Not that one, the one that got punched into next week

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Just got round to watching the ending.

That sure was an ending, though thinking on it, what else needed to be addressed?

☑ Kids won game, created universe
☑ Vriska killed Lord English, with help from Calliope

And... yep, pretty much it. All the character development and interpersonal drama was pretty much done before the final fight started, in fact most of the buildup to the final fight was finishing character development. The last few things of import were done during the final fight and the preceding pages after. All that was left was the above two points, and hey, that happened in Act 7. The End.

That said, watching the ending has made it pretty clear, to me, that I'm over Homestuck. I was left feeling satisfied it was over and not really bothered by any questions I could think of that needed answering, like the Mairiorb or how the kids got to the fight with Caliborn, they feel like unimportant questions because we already know the answers, it's just the means that we're not given. What mattered is that we're given an ending.

Hell, we're given two, in case you guys forgot about Game Over, wherein the primary versions of all the kids and trolls we'd been watching for the past seven years were unceremoniously killed off one by one, so really we're watching the ending to a bunch of kids who are like the ones we knew, but not really, because their story is completely different following Act 5. So, if you really, really do hate Act 7, just pretend that Game Over is the real ending.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
really the comic ended when dave went back in time and became davesprite and rose sort of sublimated into the ur-rose

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
just wrapped up watching the ending

that was really boring

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Like it was pretty and had good animation but I felt like literally nothing about the ending :(

Also the fact that it had like no resolution to LE was kinda lame

Magres fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 14, 2016

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Eyup.

Don't worry, though, there'll be an epilogue some day!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Actually I was thinking about it and I think the resolution to LE is supposed to be something like god-Calliope collapsed the green sun into a black hole and dragged the outer ring in with it, trapping/destroying LE

I think Vriska's part in that was pretty much to keep LE distracted with the ghosts and the treasure until things could collapse, and I'm not even sure there was any point to the treasure

e: the 'epilogue' is going to be another four year Act E or some poo poo with a Gamma Session :v:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I think in the end what's really disappointing is A) the retcon happening and B) the characters of the comic having like nothing to do with the final resolution of anything, if said final resolution even exists.

Like blah blah all forms of entertainment are pointless blah blah, but huge, huge swathes of Homestuck serve absolutely no purpose to do literally anything to progress the story in any way or build to the ending at all or even relate tangentially to the ending and the ending itself really hammered home the fact that you could slice out a solid like 40% or more of Homestuck without impacting the story at all, and come out with a much stronger narrative for having cut a bunch of the chafe

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I'd love the chance to see what's going on in Huss' mind right now, either way. Some sort of emotive newspost.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Tbh I think he just wanted to have this poo poo be done. A bunch of the ending, assuming he doesn't pull some SURPRISE FINAL ROUND with LE, was very, very perfunctory and just a straight beeline for completion.

Like I don't blame him, I just wish he hadn't spent 2-3 years wandering around with the Alpha Session doing nothing before spending a year undoing it all and sprinting for the finish line.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So did the person who saw that one panel way ahead of time ever say what the panel was and if it showed up or not?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

........ Huh. Act 7 has less than three hundred thousand views on YouTube. That's a lot less than I expected.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

WAR FOOT posted:

........ Huh. Act 7 has less than three hundred thousand views on YouTube. That's a lot less than I expected.
Last I checked Collide was at almost 400k which seems about right to me. I knew Homestuck had a lot of fans at some point but after so many "super pauses" you have to assume there's going to be a major drop off of people via aging out of it, losing interest, or dying. It used to be I'd hear about Homestuck from all over the Internet but that first crazy long pause completely killed the hype. Nobody dresses up as trolls and goes to conventions they weren't invited to anymore. The fandom just isn't as large as it used to be.

Plus Undertale vacuumed up most of it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
One thing I will say for 100% certain:

I hope Hussie keeps doing stuff and keeps experimenting, and that he didn't burn himself out with Homestuck. For my problems with big chunks of Homestuck where he lost his way, Acts 1-5 are absolutely fantastic and amazingly original. Hussie not only breaks but actively defies and spits on so many of the standard rules of storytelling and made it work so well, for so long. I want to see him do it again with lessons learned and make something akin to Acts 1-5 in terms of originality and explosive amazingness and keep it going strong to the finish line this time.

Regarding the meandering nature of Act 6, my guess is he was trying to do some weird thing where he pulls the rug out from under the tension of the story with the Scratch and the Alpha kids, but the Alpha kids weren't a strong enough ensemble to pull it off.

Magres fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 14, 2016

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

WAR FOOT posted:

I checked in with some of my friends who last read before the hiatus and none of them care enough to read up to the ending at this poont

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
The more I think about Act 7 the more I like it and the happier I get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Magres posted:

One thing I will say for 100% certain:

I hope Hussie keeps doing stuff and keeps experimenting, and that he didn't burn himself out with Homestuck. For my problems with big chunks of Homestuck where he lost his way, Acts 1-5 are absolutely fantastic and amazingly original. Hussie not only breaks but actively defies and spits on so many of the standard rules of storytelling and made it work so well, for so long. I want to see him do it again with lessons learned and make something akin to Acts 1-5 in terms of originality and explosive amazingness and keep it going strong to the finish line this time.

Regarding the meandering nature of Act 6, my guess is he was trying to do some weird thing where he pulls the rug out from under the tension of the story with the Scratch and the Alpha kids, but the Alpha kids weren't a strong enough ensemble to pull it off.

This was basically what I was thinking.

At the end of Problem Sleuth. :v: