Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Trying to get summons for sunbro covenant, I've only been summoned once for this tree boss. The waiting is terrible.

What's your character and weapon level at? I've never had to wait more than 10 seconds to be summoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

To be summoned as a blue covenant person, do I myself have to be kindled as well? I know you must be kindled to be invaded/get help in the first place but I don't know about being summoned. Sorry I am poo poo at this game I just don't know.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

There's no way to explicitly target serial invaders in any of the options you presented.

Think about it. Who is most likely to be the most experienced and best set-up? Serial invaders.

I think that's discounting the dueling crowd a fair bit, but sure.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yep, that's the thing. We had a "good aligned" invasion option in the past two games and that was fun and thematic, now we don't and there doesn't seem to be any compelling reason why when the Covenants associated with that are present and accounted for. It's just strange.

The worst part is, literally all they had to do were two things.

1) Make Darkmoon cov give you a blue orb.

2) Make said orb work on anybody with an invasion record, regardless of boss status.

It makes absolutely no sense why there are two identical covenants, instead of Blue Sentinels being autosummoned defenders while Darkmoon use blue orbs.

The other way to do it would be to make Darkmoon work regardless of Way of Blue status, but that would just totally obsolete Sentinels again.

Evil Canadian posted:

To be summoned as a blue covenant person, do I myself have to be kindled as well? I know you must be kindled to be invaded/get help in the first place but I don't know about being summoned. Sorry I am poo poo at this game I just don't know.

No, it's just the host has to be in Way of Blue again and well...

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 14, 2016

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

Nope. Actually getting summoned for one of the automatic covenants is completely down to luck, however. I've had the Blue Sentinel covenant on for 6+ hours and haven't been summoned once.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dezztroy posted:

What's your character and weapon level at? I've never had to wait more than 10 seconds to be summoned.

40 and +4 which I guess might be why. Maybe I've gone past the level of usefulness to this area?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

40 and +4 which I guess might be why. Maybe I've gone past the level of usefulness to this area?

Yeah, you're way overlevelled for Undead Settlement. Try the Catacombs and you shouldn't have any problems.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Considerably. You'll want to keep your reinforcement at +3 or less until you're pass Abyss Watchers.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Orv posted:

Considerably. You'll want to keep your reinforcement at +3 or less until you're pass Abyss Watchers.

Onwards then. Hopefully Abyss Watchers is easy enough for me to do so I can get more sunlight medals that way.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
So I somehow quit the game in such a way it broke and now renders in 16:10 without black borders

It looks loving weird in menus and poo poo but it's way better than having big ol' black bars top and bottom!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dezztroy posted:

Nope. Actually getting summoned for one of the automatic covenants is completely down to luck, however. I've had the Blue Sentinel covenant on for 6+ hours and haven't been summoned once.

I have been summoned a bunch of times, and I make a habit to have Way of Blue on while I'm exploring an area because why not, but I don't see how that will last at all.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
This is how I discovered the (spoiler is really big, don't hover unless you've beaten the second Lord of Cinder) Anor Londo archers were in the game again

Yeah. That was a massive, massive surprise. A bad one. A really bad surprise.

I considered jumping off and quitting for the night because I immediately had horrible visions, but I steeled myself and continued on my invasion. Which was a huge mistake as my invadee did this the whole time:

Yeah. Literally ran around in circles right after the Pontiff bonfire. What the hell? It eventually ended when they got sick of running in circles and suicided ~10 minutes later.

Just stand and fight! You might have won when it was just 1v1 because I'm horrible at PvP :psyduck:

Addendum:

Poor guy...
:smith:

axeil fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 14, 2016

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

I AM BRAWW posted:

the game FUCKIN CRASHEDS MY ENTIRE fREEEAAKING Personal Computer whernever I get to the big round room after the first "boss" fight in the tutorial

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I wish two things: I wish leveling up wouldn't for some incomprehensible reason be so taxing on my frames that it boots me out of multiplayer half the time, and I wish that literally anyone in firelink shrine had a single new thing to say about the missing people and dead bodies like don't even loving tell me you didn't see poo poo, thief, you are watching the only way in or out of that hallway. Who killed the wizard, thief? Fucker didn't even NOT see anything. He has no new dialog about the situation and it's frustrating.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
There's a locked door near the Tower on the Wall bonfire and I can't find the key anywhere. Is it somewhere around here or do I need to come back later? I've already opened the jail cell, so it's not that one.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Onwards then. Hopefully Abyss Watchers is easy enough for me to do so I can get more sunlight medals that way.

I did nothing but sunbro Abyss Watchers for like 2 and half hours today. It's great, definitely would put Abyss Watchers in the Top 10 of all Dark Souls fights. If you're running into problems there'll be tons of summon signs for you.

Lester Shy posted:

There's a locked door near the Tower on the Wall bonfire and I can't find the key anywhere. Is it somewhere around here or do I need to come back later? I've already opened the jail cell, so it's not that one.

Come back way later. You'll get a key for it if you talk to everyone at Firelink every time you come back.

It unlocks a single enemy who has the non-cracked red eye orb

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
I never played any Souls Game before, I missed the Hypetrain, I did not read any news, I dont know the lore and I have completeley out of a reflex (and realizing >120k people playing this game on steam was a peak) bought this game because now you cant ignore the news and hype.
So I am another goon playing this "blindly".

Game runs great maxed smooth an constant 60 fps out on 2560*1440, as it should on a f*cking expenisve rig (980TI, 6700K, 850 Pro SSDs) and the XBox Controller allows intuitive playing while I learn the ropes and the moves.

So I met the first boss and :suspense: I am getting raped and how do I love this, so THATs the DS feeling most seem to love. And I do, too. Gotta get better and :toughguy: that enemies.
The atmosphere, the gfx and style are simply amazing.

A noob question: The Bonfires are the save locations, so when I quit I will always restart from the last Bonfire I activated? May I switch that later and even fast-travel?

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 14, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mr.PayDay posted:

I never played any Souls Game before, I missed the Hypetrain, I did not read any news, I dont know the lore and I have completeley out of a reflex bought this game because now you cant ignore the news and hype.
So I am another goon playing this "blindly".

Game runs great maxed smooth an constant 60 fps out on 2560*1440, as it should on a f*cking expenisve rig (980TI, 6700K, 850 Pro SSDs) and the XBoc Controller allows intuitive while I learn the ropes and the moves.

So I met the first boss and :suspense: I am getting raped and how do I love this, so THATs the DS feeling most seem to love. And I do, too. Gotta get better and :toughguy: that enemies.
The atmosphere, the gfx and style are simply amazing.

A noob question: The Bonfires are the save locations, so when I quit I will always restart from the last Bonfire I activated? May I switch that later and even fast-travel?

Actually there are no save points! The game autosaves constantly.

Fast travel is enabled by default. In fact, once you get to the main hub area you'll need to fast travel to start playing the rest of the game.

If you quit you'll restart wherever you quit from with any dead enemies dead, estus flask charges used, etc. When you die you restart from the last bonfire you activated/rested at.

Some of the mechanics can be a bit weird, just know that we're all super confused too with some of this stuff.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Mr.PayDay posted:

It autosaves basically constantly- when you quit, you load back in exactly where you were, with the world and your character in the exactly the same state.

Once you unlock more bonfires, yes you can fast travel.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Game crashes if I have lighting on anything other than low on PC which sucks.

But other than that I'm loving it. Default faces look REALLY weird but i've done some creative work and managed to make them look not so weird. It looks like they wanted to go asian heavy oriented on faces but then backed out and instead of going english its like some weird hybrid between the two that looks not good at all.

Does anyone know if the name filter is still in the game? Will the dark souls 2 name checker work still or can I have Hobbes for a name without issue? Or will Knight still be K***ht

also if you want this game still and want it for PS4 i'm doing a giveaway friday at 11:59 CDT
https://gleam.io/competitions/uLd0E-ps4-dark-souls-raffle-giveaway

all you have to do is follow me on twitch for an entry. You can tweet me out every day too for an extra entry.

there are only 19 entrants so far (US only for winners) so you have good odds of winning.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Microwaves Mom posted:

Game crashes if I have lighting on anything other than low on PC which sucks.

ty this fixed it

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
thanks for the quick responses lads :cheers:
I gotta take a day off work, I am wanna keep on playing :buddy:

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

I AM BRAWW posted:

ty this fixed it

yeah it was a nightmare for me glad it fixed it for you too

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mr.PayDay posted:

thanks for the quick responses lads :cheers:
I gotta take a day off work, I am wanna keep on playing :buddy:

Don't forget your obligations, none of us want to see you go hollow.

One last tip. If you're having trouble with an area and you're embered you can summon co-op phantoms. They can help new players out a ton, so if you're getting frustrated just pop an ember and summon some folks for jolly cooperation!

edit: I'd also recommend joining Way of the Blue to protect you from any...unsavory types you may run across. You can join the covenant by going to the door behind where the second boss is (should be fairly obvious)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So weird thing I just noticed, the road of sacrifices place where you come out. Is this the forest from the first game? Because this looks a lot like the cliffs overlooking the basin with the hydra.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I was just tinkering around with some settings and having shadows on medium reduced my FPS by 10 compared to what it was like having it on high :wtc:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Nuebot posted:

So weird thing I just noticed, the road of sacrifices place where you come out. Is this the forest from the first game? Because this looks a lot like the cliffs overlooking the basin with the hydra.

Some say that many kingdoms have risen and fallen where Lothric now stands. Others have even told tales that their ruins may still yet be standing. But rumors and fables are not always reliable...

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

In the cathedral of the deep, how do you get to the spot across the narrow way? The one that Patches lowers on you, I can't find any way to raise it back up.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Despite them being weird uggos at the start you can do some decent work at making your own weird uggos.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So how many Estus Flasks can you get total anyway? Considering I feel like I'm still pretty early on (just started Cathedral - gently caress that bleed effect by the way) and already have 10, it seems like more than DS2 - which makes sense since you need them for magic as well. At this rate a pure physical build that doesn't bother with Weapon Arts could have more than a max-kindled bonfire in DS1.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Do we have a steam group/chat for this yet? I've been using the Dark Goon PC group for right now but there are usually only 4-5 of us in chat.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dasgoonspc

More people should join the chat and complain about dying.

Orv
May 4, 2011

LibbyM posted:

In the cathedral of the deep, how do you get to the spot across the narrow way? The one that Patches lowers on you, I can't find any way to raise it back up.

The second shortcut you unlock back to Cleansing Chapel has an elevator next to it, follow that path.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

quote:

I've experienced stuttering in the game from time to time. Someone in the earlier megathread posted about GameOverLayRenderer.log in Steam getting filled with hundreds of lines per second when Dark Souls 3 is on and speculated that this might be the reason for the stuttering. I verified this was happening to myself too.
I first tried to disable Steam overlay in Steam settings, but that didn't have any effect; the spam and stutters were still happening.
After a bit of googling I moved GameOverlayRenderer.dll and GameOverlayRenderer64.dll to another folder from the Steam installation folder.
It is 100% sure that this fixed the spam problem. Also I didn't experience any stutters after this, but I can't guarantee they won't happen. But preventing hundreds of lines being written to a log file per second can't hurt, right?
Also, Steam might update and restore the files at some point, so you might need to remove them again later.

Anyone tried this fix for the constant stutters when picking up items, etc?

God this port is totally insane in many way.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Orv posted:

The second shortcut you unlock back to Cleansing Chapel has an elevator next to it, follow that path.

Oh okay, I must have missed that the first time around, thanks.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Man those cathedral rafters are terrifying, and it's even required to reach one of the covenants.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Einwand posted:

Man those cathedral rafters are terrifying, and it's even required to reach one of the covenants.

They're cake compared to the AL rafters, not to mention it's even easier to get everyone up there to prat fall.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nuebot posted:

Sort of. Some of the areas seem to be amalgamations of zones from the previous games, twisted together by the weird nature of the world. Road of sacrifices contains features from both Blighttown and Darkmoon Forrest.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Frank Eufemia posted:

Do we have a steam group/chat for this yet? I've been using the Dark Goon PC group for right now but there are usually only 4-5 of us in chat.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dasgoonspc

More people should join the chat and complain about dying.

Toss me an invite or whatever and I'll annoy everyone with questions about where things are.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Why are NPCs hostile to red phantoms half the time? Having to go through the level while getting chased by a conga line of enemies is really loving annoying. Especially when the odds are already stacked against you by default because you seem to get 1v2s about 90% of the time and they can both heal twice as much as you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bloodmobile posted:

Why are NPCs hostile to red phantoms half the time? Having to go through the level while getting chased by a conga line of enemies is really loving annoying. Especially when the odds are already stacked against you by default because you seem to get 1v2s about 90% of the time and they can both heal twice as much as you can.

With how much invading is going on anyone who is summoning regularly has fairly consistent access to a Seed of the Tree of Giants, which makes enemies target invaders equally as hosts.