Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Day Man posted:

gently caress you. Stay off the goddamned roads.

*fiddles with radio while putting on tie or makeup and eating fast food*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Coolness Averted posted:

These are the exact legal dickings I love and I hope Uber gets ruined for it, "Oh you thought you were clever and could define yourself out of the responsibilities of a seller or employer? Then congratulations you get the protections offered to neither."
I love legal sick burns. Ohhh, you say that buses, riding your bike and even walking are all clear substitutes for Uber's service? Then please, by all means, arrive at future proceedings by walking - after all, its a clear substitute right? :smug: :slick:

Shifty Pony posted:

It gets better. The antitrust case against Apple regarding their ebook price fixing is precedent in the NY federal court in which the Uber case was filed. That is not good for Uber/Kalanick because it basically unambiguously says that a lot of pre-Leegan precedent is still applicable post-Leegan, including findings that say that hub and spoke pricing agreements (with a bunch of supposed competitors organizing a fixed price by all agreeing with a third party) are always illegal. The decision is not ambiguous about it and quotes old Supreme Court precedent: "any conspiracy “formed for the purpose and with the effect of raising, depressing, fixing, pegging, or stabilizing the price of a commodity . . . is illegal per se,” and the precise “machinery employed . . . is immaterial.” ". It also includes this wonderful quote
So its possible that Uber will be forced into 1) admitting that they are in fact a corporation that hires people to drive cars for money, and have to pay benefits and so forth or 2) sticking to the "we are just an app that connects people" in which case they admit that they are engaged in a price fixing conspiracy with a mountain of precedent against them? Oh my :suspense:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

mastershakeman posted:

*fiddles with radio while putting on tie or makeup and eating fast food*

Actually, I ride a motorcycle and don't do any of that stuff. Nearly every day on my commute, though, I see people weaving in and out of their lane in heavy traffic with all of the other cars having to give them a huge amount of space. I used to think "drunk driver", but it's inevitably always someone on their phone.

Here's a tip, if you think you're good at driving and using your phone, you aren't. You're just so distracted you don't know how bad you're doing. It's like how incompetent people don't realize they are incompetent. If you realized you were doing terribly, you wouldn't continue to do terribly. The Dunning-Kruger effect, I think it's called.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Day Man posted:

gently caress you. Stay off the goddamned roads.

Day Man posted:

Here's a tip, if you think you're good at driving and using your phone, you aren't. You're just so distracted you don't know how bad you're doing. It's like how incompetent people don't realize they are incompetent. If you realized you were doing terribly, you wouldn't continue to do terribly. The Dunning-Kruger effect, I think it's called.
The pot calling the kettle black.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Ha ha ha ha ha

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/stuck-in-1950s-suburbia/

This is a pretty fascinating article about the proliferation of suburban office campuses. They were built in response to the growing urbanization (read: blackness and unionization) of the country.

The side-effects of being suburban means that the company owns your mindspace even while you commute. If your life is wake-up, drive to work, work, drive home then you'll never have time to interact with your community and experience the world at large. So your civic interests are limited to making roads better, focusing on transportation (for you), and your job. There's no sense of belonging to your town.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Trevor Hale posted:

This is a pretty fascinating article about the proliferation of suburban office campuses. They were built in response to the growing urbanization (read: blackness and unionization) of the country.

The side-effects of being suburban means that the company owns your mindspace even while you commute. If your life is wake-up, drive to work, work, drive home then you'll never have time to interact with your community and experience the world at large. So your civic interests are limited to making roads better, focusing on transportation (for you), and your job. There's no sense of belonging to your town.
Good read, thanks for the link. I think your point about the mindspace is spot on and the control over your time that so many tech workers experience might be one of the more fascinating threads in 2016 silicon valley.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

cheese posted:

Good read, thanks for the link. I think your point about the mindspace is spot on and the control over your time that so many tech workers experience might be one of the more fascinating threads in 2016 silicon valley.

corollary: to feel a sense of belonging to/responsibility for your community beyond work and commute also requires you to have free time after work and on the weekend. Free time spent outside the company ballpit, that is.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Trevor Hale posted:

On the other hand, I've seen a bunch of Seattleites on the internet complain about Amazon's HQ being in Seattle's core, saying they should've set up a suburban campus like Microsoft, because it's "taxing Seattle's housing market and infrastructure" or something like that. No matter what you do, you're gonna piss some people off. I'm sure there are a lot of San Franciscans who hate how SF has become the startup capital of the world, and wish startups would've stayed on the peninsula.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 13, 2016

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

cheese posted:

I love legal sick burns. Ohhh, you say that buses, riding your bike and even walking are all clear substitutes for Uber's service? Then please, by all means, arrive at future proceedings by walking - after all, its a clear substitute right? :smug: :slick:

So its possible that Uber will be forced into 1) admitting that they are in fact a corporation that hires people to drive cars for money, and have to pay benefits and so forth or 2) sticking to the "we are just an app that connects people" in which case they admit that they are engaged in a price fixing conspiracy with a mountain of precedent against them? Oh my :suspense:

Also Uber's insistence that their drivers are acting as independent entities is what lets them bypass Uber's mandatory arbitration agreement by suing Kalanick directly. The agreement only covers disputes between users and Uber - not users and drivers (who are "not Uber" according to Uber).

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Looks like somebody has a case of the donkey brains!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

Also Uber's insistence that their drivers are acting as independent entities is what lets them bypass Uber's mandatory arbitration agreement by suing Kalanick directly. The agreement only covers disputes between users and Uber - not users and drivers (who are "not Uber" according to Uber).

So how long until mandatory arbitration gets attacked in court too?

I kind of feel like all of this LOL SO DISRUPTIVE!!!1!11ONE!!! crap startups are getting up to is going to end in an avalanche of lawsuits that is going to piss off a lot of judges.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So how long until mandatory arbitration gets attacked in court too?

I kind of feel like all of this LOL SO DISRUPTIVE!!!1!11ONE!!! crap startups are getting up to is going to end in an avalanche of lawsuits that is going to piss off a lot of judges.

It already won:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_Mobility_LLC_v._Concepcion
http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/american-express-co-v-italian-colors-restaurant/

These are probably some of the worst decisions in SCOTUS history, IMO.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Huh, and a 5-4, funny that.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
AmEx vs. Italian Colors alone makes me want to dig up Scalia's corpse and burn it on the steps of the Court. The amount of damage that ruling has done and will do is probably up there with Plessy vs. Ferguson.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/13/11423694/cms-elizabeth-holmes-theranos-ban-fine-sanctions-sunny-balwani

quote:

The US Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services has proposed to ban Theranos' founder, Elizabeth Holmes, from the blood-testing business for a minimum of two years, according to a letter obtained by The Wall Street Journal. This is one of the most severe sanctions that the US government can impose on a laboratory.

The letter was sent to Theranos on March 18th, after the company submitted its plan to correct the deficiencies identified at Theranos' California lab. In it, federal regulators explain that they want to revoke the license for Theranos' California lab and bar its owners from owning or running a lab for at least two years. That means that if these sanctions go through, both Holmes and Theranos president Sunny Balwani would be banned from operating any and all Theranos labs — including the company's Arizona facility.

rut roh

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

cheese posted:

It is a pro-read. This quote in particular:

quote:

Today, this segregation isn’t only aided by architecture—it’s also a function of the tech-enabled lifestyle, with its endless array of on-demand services and delivery apps that limit interactions with people of differing views and backgrounds (exposure that would likely serve to increase tolerance). A protective bubble of affluence also reduces the need for civic engagement: If you always rely on ride-hailing apps, why would you care if the sidewalk gets cleaned or repaired?

Slick, streamlined convenience with the added benefit of never having to interact with strangers outside of your heavily monitored work environment.

If there's a better way to smother worker organization and civic consciousness in its crib I'm not aware of it.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I hope we get an after-action report from a good source if this company implodes.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I still find it pretty weird how Elizabeth Holmes became a business goddess and a (near-?)billionaire when the only product she ever presided over was a complete failure. That's America for you, I guess.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Radbot posted:

I still find it pretty weird how Elizabeth Holmes became a business goddess and a (near-?)billionaire when the only product she ever presided over was a complete failure. That's America for you, I guess.

She's probably not a billionaire. She owns what was asserted to be worth 1b of theranos stock.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Spazzle posted:

She's probably not a billionaire. She owns what was asserted to be worth 1b of theranos stock.

Ok, sorry, hundred-millionaire.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I didn't really follow it much but it was similar to Uber in that the status quo left a lot to be desired. Also a lot of VC investors talk about how they bet on people and Elizabeth Holmes is supposedly v. impressive in person, is a prodigy etc.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
At least Uber's product works, though? How can you be a prodigy if your product has never worked?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Baby Babbeh posted:

Frankly, I think we'll see widespread adoption of self-driving cars before we see adequate public transportation in Silicon Valley.

You're more right than you know.

quote:

“When cars are actually autonomous and speak to each other, they will be packed more densely on the roads, and they won’t be creating that congestion,” said Whittum. “So the idea of spending huge amounts of money on concrete to do this, it’s not a futuristic 21st century idea, it’s actually a very 20th century idea.”

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

mastershakeman posted:

You'd be amazed at how easy it is to drive while using a smartphone because of how well peripheral vision works for the minimal amount of events happening on the road. And if you shift into park at a stoplight, it's legal in some states to use the phone!

I'm calling the Cops

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Radbot posted:

At least Uber's product works, though? How can you be a prodigy if your product has never worked?
They thought it did/would, I don't know what else to tell you. Part of the "product" is direct access testing (sort of like how Uber doesn't have better cars per-se) but yeah needless to say the heat is on, there.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I get that you didn't personally decide to make her rich. I'm just shaking my head in awe of a system that allows a person who has never made a working product to become richer than most people's wildest fantasies.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

If there's a better way to smother worker organization and civic consciousness in its crib I'm not aware of it.

Weirdly, technology is currently facilitating civic consciousness for me. Nextdoor.com (and I have no idea how it's going to be profitable) has catalyzed people in my town to research the town's planning code, compare/contrast it with neighboring towns' building codes, and take the information to the next planning committee meeting. Others will go just to protest.

Before this site existed, I had absolutely no contact with my community.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Radbot posted:

I get that you didn't personally decide to make her rich. I'm just shaking my head in awe of a system that allows a person who has never made a working product to become richer than most people's wildest fantasies.

That stock is only of theoretical value until she is able to sell it. Maybe she was able to offload it to cash somehow at some point, but if not then :lol:

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

pangstrom posted:

Uber doesn't have better cars per-se

This element of Uber's business is what bothers me. If the company had started with a different focus, like optimizing and improving taxicab logistics for existing fleets and starting out on the ground floor, either by opening new franchises in cities or taking over existing ones within the framework of the laws, it might have an argument for being a technology company, applying all of that programming and data management and whatnot to solving a problem. It would also have had some leverage, possibly, to get the medallion systems reformed.

But that would have involved both adhering to existing regulations and (and I think this might be even more crucial) being a company involved in the wholly un-glamorous world of taxicab operation. Ultimately, it's not sexy or exciting, and I think that's a core element of what Uber is trying to sell itself as: a sexy transportation company. They manage contractors, man, they write phone apps and run servers, they have a hip branding and succinct company name and...what? What kind of real, productive company are they?

As was recently linked to and discussed in this thread, a lot of the service-based tech companies seem to ultimately be about isolating the people who use them from having to deal with the different and sometimes icky realities of the world. And while Uber's contractor model is ultimately about trying to sidestep employment and transportation regulations, I can't help but suspect that a small amount of it is also distancing the company from the decidedly unsexy reality of what it actually is - an unlicensed taxi company, not really any different some guy in the Bronx with a beat-up passenger van illegally carrying passengers to their jobs into the core of the city.

Uber's a "tech company", you see - they're not directly involved in all that low-class transportation nonsense, with low-paid drivers, vehicle exhaust, weatherworn garages, and customers that are drunk and/or vomiting all over everything (not to mention, ugh, the poor and low-income). That's for the contractors to deal with, who totally aren't part of Uber, because otherwise they would be actual employees in the ball pit with everyone else, hacking and coding and all that jazz. Basically, I think Uber's own seeming obsession with image, along with its willingness to try and flout laws to puff itself up and seem bigger and more important than it is, might be part of what drives the tech bubble. While actually owning up to being a company involved in the "dirt under the fingernails" aspects of the industry is counter to that.

So all these VCs, essentially, are investing in hot air. And that's probably why bubbles inevitably collapse; once the glamour wears off, once the distancing from the actual work becomes too great, and once companies finally succumb to the dueling dichotomies in their head as to what they actually are and what they do, poo poo hits the fan. Would Uber have gotten where it was if its business proposition was like I mentioned at the start of this post? Probably not, because despite being a reasonably solid idea, it's not spinnable as something from the whiz-bang future.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Isn't Holmes at least allowed to trade her stock on a secondary market of some sort? And if she could she must be at least some sort of multimillionaire.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Cultural Imperial posted:

Isn't Holmes at least allowed to trade her stock on a secondary market of some sort? And if she could she must be at least some sort of multimillionaire.

I don't think selling stock is usually allowed once you get some investors on board, they probably want to make sure the core team continues to own all their stock and is thus incentivised to work hard etc rather than abandoning the ship. Not sure about the details but they're probably complicated.

But yeah, if I were a startup founder I'd certainly want the option of selling some small fraction of my stock, so I could do that after a gigantic valuation but before the poo poo hits the fan (as it very often does). I just don't know if that's usually allowed.

Edit: some Googling turns up this article saying that it's the investors who decide the rules of selling stock and some of them might allow it: http://businessinsider.com/startup-founders-are-getting-rich-before-they-exit-2014-12

quote:

Whisper's founder, Michael Heyward, has raised $60 million. He, unlike the Secret and Snapchat founders, hasn't kept a penny for himself. Heyward says he has no need for millions of dollars right now. He doesn't have a family to support or loans to pay. He also says he believes in his product so he doesn't want to swap equity for cash. It wouldn't be smart since he believes his company will be worth much more in the future.

2014 that's a good vintage, you can really taste the bubbles

jaete fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 13, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Everyone dreams of being Zuckerberg and taking out hundreds of millions through board fees and dividends after the IPO.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

quote:

As Business Insider reported in July, the founders of Secret took $6 million off the table during a $25 million funding round just six months after the company launched. Now, Secret has lost traction and it's pivoting its business.
Of all the euphemisms in business generally and tech specifically, I think "pivoting" might be my favorite. It implies agility and grace, a speedy, purposeful shift in direction even though it really means "we hosed up and whatever we are doing is failing spectacularly, quick lets try to do something else, anything else oh god oh god".

Should add that this guy was smart as his company folded in April of last year despite being "valued" at 100 million :roflolmao:

cheese fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 14, 2016

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Cultural Imperial posted:

Yes, but it's complicated.

The thing you have to understand is that stock in a pre-public company is an extremely illiquid asset. It's closer to owning a table than owning a stock. While there are secondary markets (most notably SecondMarket, a company now owned by Nasdaq), they're less NYSE and more Craigslist. You kind of post that you have stock that you want to sell, and people make offers. These markets aren't open to everyone — you have to be an "accredited investor", which basically means a rich person — so it's not really a massive volume of trades that happen. And you might not get any offers at all if your startup isn't well known or it's perceived as risky. I imagine the market for Theranos stock right now is non-existent.

And of course, it's not uncommon for early executives to need board approval before they sell shares. When you consider that with the usually pretty negative optics of a CEO unloading a big chunk of stock, it's pretty common for startup executives to have relatively modest real money earnings prior to an exit event. They aren't poor — they tend to be paid like the low end of executives which is still a fortune by the standards of most people. But they're usually paper millionaires rather than actual millionaires.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

pangstrom posted:

I didn't really follow it much but it was similar to Uber in that the status quo left a lot to be desired. Also a lot of VC investors talk about how they bet on people and Elizabeth Holmes is supposedly v. impressive in person, is a prodigy etc.

The more you bet on somebody the bigger loss you have to eat when it goes bad. This is her sole thing that she's done so why her instead of any other Stanford grad? She also could have bailed relatively early in the process and sold her parents to the existing biomedical companies.

The CMS threat would be an almost instantaneous bankruptcy for the company.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Radbot posted:

It really isn't that surprising. The VCs probably didn't know jack about medical testing or any of the processes you have to go through in order to get a new medical test accepted by regulatory agencies. Maybe they did some cursory research, but it isn't their wheelhouse. Just another instance of people with too much money giving their money to another person who looked good at first glance. Heck, I see this sort of thing all the time at my current job. People just don't do their due diligence.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

One interesting note on secondary markets is that there is a limit to the number of shareholders a privately held company has before they have to publish financial reports similar to what a publicly traded must, by SEC regulations. It's one of the reasons Facebook went public, they passed that threshold and decided may as well just IPO now if we have to do the legwork anyway.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Radbot posted:

Biotech/Pharma is basically the most extreme high risk/high reward industry out there. Making a drug/test/medical device is really loving expensive at all stages of the process, so companies wanting to get into the game have to raise a bunch of money from investment before they are anywhere near putting out a product, a process that has a lot of hurdles that companies can and do trip up on. There are a vast amount of small medical companies that go bankrupt after never putting out a product, but people do it because if you get good & lucky you could end up with the next Sovaldi and make $1.1 billion dollars in your first quarter of sales.

The main deal with Theranos is that like Uber, they tried to pass themselves off as a 'cool tech' company instead of a traditional medical company, and were trying to flout all the standard rules that these companies have to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Was Theranos' flouting essential to their business model, as Uber's is, or just reckless operation?