Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
It's still punishing the victim of the theft.

Criminal #1 is whoever stole the gun.

Criminal #2 is the drug addict who received the stolen gun, then decided to get into an armed confrontation with police. Him dying is unfortunate but better than a police officer or innocent bystander being shot.

It is already illegal to 1) steal property 2) possess a firearm without a license 3) posses ammunition without a license 4) take drugs 5) saw a shotgun right down 6) receive stolen property 7) use a firearm in a threatening manner

but hey let's arbitrarily decide that preventing licensed firearm owners owning more than 'x' guns would have stopped this trainwreck. If a dozen laws haven't worked maybe one more will do the trick. Since it targets some law abiding sucker instead of a violent criminal maybe it will get obeyed.

also I miss my Trump av :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is that Oglaf?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

LibertyCat posted:

but hey let's arbitrarily decide that preventing licensed firearm owners owning more than 'x' guns would have stopped this trainwreck. If a dozen laws haven't worked maybe one more will do the trick. Since it targets some law abiding sucker instead of a violent criminal maybe it will get obeyed.

So unless a law exclusively impacts criminals you don't agree with it?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

tithin posted:

Is that Oglaf?

Looks like Archer to me.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Zenithe posted:

There's a joke to be made about innocent bystanders but my hearts not in it

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If you don't live on a farm or use your guns every day for work then keeping them at home seems pretty dumb anyway. There's a good reason people keep their money in a bank, seems like it would be sensible to do the same thing with guns.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

open24hours posted:

If you don't live on a farm or use your guns every day for work then keeping them at home seems pretty dumb anyway. There's a good reason people keep their money in a bank, seems like it would be sensible to do the same thing with guns.

Keeping them at home can be good, as it can allow you to perform maintenance and cleaning etc that you might not be able to find time to do at the range. As long as its properly secured and stored, ammo stored etc.

Not saying you need a billion guns at home or whatever, but I can see why people would prefer to keep them at home rather than at a range/club.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I know more or less nothing about guns, so excuse my ignorance if this is a dumb question, but do they need maintenance if you're not shooting them? As long as they're well oiled they should be able to sit almost indefinitely, right?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

LibertyCat posted:

It's still punishing the victim of the theft.

Criminal #1 is whoever stole the gun.

Criminal #2 is the drug addict who received the stolen gun, then decided to get into an armed confrontation with police. Him dying is unfortunate but better than a police officer or innocent bystander being shot.

It is already illegal to 1) steal property 2) possess a firearm without a license 3) posses ammunition without a license 4) take drugs 5) saw a shotgun right down 6) receive stolen property 7) use a firearm in a threatening manner

also I miss my Trump av :(

if the guy hadn't had a gun to be stolen it wouldn't have happened so yes

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Pretty much, but it can take a bit of time to clean and properly oil a gun, and you might have a place to do it at home where you know you won't misplace a piece or whatever. So get home from the range, spend however long cleaning, pack up, put in safe till next time.

Not to mention some people reload their own ammunition etc at home too. In primary school my best friends dad would reload all his shotgun shells at home, but I think he kept most of his shotguns at the club for security purposes as they were very expensive shotguns (championship shooter). This was before 1996.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Seagull posted:

if the guy hadn't had a gun to be stolen it wouldn't have happened so yes

A friend of mine had a shooting pistol in a secure safe. Her hosed-up stepson and a criminal friend waited until she went on holiday and robbed the house including tearing out the gun safe because they knew where it was. They wanted to commit crime with the gun but were too dumb to get into the safe and left evidence everywhere so they were eventually caught. One gun or ten makes no difference to someone who wants one for free, but getting ten instead of just one is a greater threat to society so suck poo poo gun nuts.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Zenithe posted:

To be effective a law should mostly penalize criminals and cause minimal inconvenience to the innocent, not the other way around.

Everyone agrees that Murder is Bad, aside from people who want to murder more than they are afraid of being murdered. Since murderous psychopaths are in the minority Murder is Illegal and almost everyone is happy. The criminals are the only ones begin disadvantaged and everyone else benefits.

Banning Airsoft "guns" only pleases a small fraction of voters, only mildly annoys idiots who would otherwise somehow hurt others with a toy that fires plastic pellets, and disadvantageous potentially tens or hundreds of thousands of people who would have fun with them. The innocent are disadvantaged for very little benefit.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Wow, congratulations. You managed to frame a rights argument even dumber than the generic libertarian one.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

GoldStandardConure posted:

Keeping them at home can be good, as it can allow you to perform maintenance and cleaning etc that you might not be able to find time to do at the range. As long as its properly secured and stored, ammo stored etc.

Not saying you need a billion guns at home or whatever, but I can see why people would prefer to keep them at home rather than at a range/club.

As an addition to that, having permanent storage of firearms and munitions at a range requires more than just a safe- you need a secure building to store them, security, insurance, etc.

My local stores nothing on site, so all the range guns are kept by several senior members, licensed under their names. Means even if someone breaks in, they're not likely to get anything of value or danger

open24hours posted:

I know more or less nothing about guns, so excuse my ignorance if this is a dumb question, but do they need maintenance if you're not shooting them? As long as they're well oiled they should be able to sit almost indefinitely, right?

Most recreational shooters do so every few weeks at least- there's a requirement of 6 competition shoots per year to maintain a license. General cleaning and oiling after a shoot is generally enough, since that'll keep it in a functional state for long enough. But the oils used aren't designed to last for years, and it doesn't fully stop moisture damage- for long term storage needs different lubricants and lots more of it, which means they need to be cleaned thoroughly before you use it

ewe2 posted:

A friend of mine had a shooting pistol in a secure safe. Her hosed-up stepson and a criminal friend waited until she went on holiday and robbed the house including tearing out the gun safe because they knew where it was. They wanted to commit crime with the gun but were too dumb to get into the safe and left evidence everywhere so they were eventually caught. One gun or ten makes no difference to someone who wants one for free, but getting ten instead of just one is a greater threat to society so suck poo poo gun nuts.

Good point, this is why opsec is essential- if people don't know you have valuable stuff (lock box of cash, lots of expensive electronics, or firearms) and access to a house is difficult enough, then it can be a non-issue. It's why part of the process to getting a firearm licence is 'make sure you have basic security in place- shutters, deadbolt doors, motion lights, etc'.

Which brings about the question- was posting a bunch of information from the firearm registry, information which apparently by law is not to be shared publicly outside of police and legal proceedings, the details where large numbers of firearms are located, really that good an idea? Especially if the arguement is 'what if criminals go after you for your guns'.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

open24hours posted:

What's the alternative? A Central Gun Repository would be magnet for violent criminals. Rob it and net a million guns.

How would you do maintenance or adjustments (mounting scopes, cleaning, changing stocks, troubleshooting jamming parts etc - I've had to do all of these) without being able to take guns home? Where would you reload ammunition? Would you trust strangers not to smack your sensitive and expensive scope on something while handling it?

What if you shoot at multiple ranges or go hunting - obviously you need to transport firearms. If you were up to no good you'd just sign them out and proceed with your evil plan.

For target shooters at least guns are highly tuned, highly personalized machines.

Also seriously where is my av from. Not knowing the context is driving me nuts.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Paingod556 posted:

Which brings about the question- was posting a bunch of information from the firearm registry, information which apparently by law is not to be shared publicly outside of police and legal proceedings, the details where large numbers of firearms are located, really that good an idea? Especially if the arguement is 'what if criminals go after you for your guns'.

But dude, hundreds of thousands of people might not get to play bang bang you're dead with shooty things.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

LibertyCat posted:

To be effective a law welfare should mostly penalize criminals and cause minimal inconvenience to the innocent to those who need it, not the other way around.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Pickled Tink posted:

This article should be required reading for everyone:

Thanks for this.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Look, we've already established that I think dole bludgers(*) are beneath contempt and worth more as component parts, no need to reopen the welfare debate.

(*)otherwise healthy people who could work but don't and drain money from society like a leach.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

LibertyCat posted:

What's the alternative? A Central Gun Repository would be magnet for violent criminals. Rob it and net a million guns.

How would you do maintenance or adjustments (mounting scopes, cleaning, changing stocks, troubleshooting jamming parts etc - I've had to do all of these) without being able to take guns home? Where would you reload ammunition? Would you trust strangers not to smack your sensitive and expensive scope on something while handling it?

What if you shoot at multiple ranges or go hunting - obviously you need to transport firearms. If you were up to no good you'd just sign them out and proceed with your evil plan.

For target shooters at least guns are highly tuned, highly personalized machines.

Also seriously where is my av from. Not knowing the context is driving me nuts.

Most of that stuff could probably be done at the range, but I'm not saying it should be mandatory to keep your guns in some central location, I just think it would be a good idea. If I had something that criminals were desperate to get their hands on I wouldn't want to have to worry about security.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

ewe2 posted:

and I know someone who used his lawfully owned firearm to defend against a home invader. Aren't anecdotes great?

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

open24hours posted:

Most of that stuff could probably be done at the range, but I'm not saying it should be mandatory to keep your guns in some central location, I just think it would be a good idea. If I had something that criminals were desperate to get their hands on I wouldn't want to have to worry about security.

My old local has ~15,000 members. Trust me it would be impractical and the facilities to do so there would be prohibitively expensive. This is a solution in search of a problem.

--

To clarify - do a google image search for 'reloading setup'. This is a precision, time-intensive process where a badly calibrated public machine would end in disaster. Clubs wouldn't want the liability, and there is no way having enough powder to deal with a thousand shooters on premises is a good idea.

LibertyCat fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 14, 2016

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

LibertyCat posted:

worth more as component parts

:stare:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
it's rare that I would agree with John Howard but

quote:

“People used to say to me, ‘You violated my human rights by taking away my gun’,” Mr Howard, who is regularly called upon by the US media to explain Australia’s gun laws, said.

“And I’d (say), ‘I understand that. Will you please understand the argument, the greatest human right of all is to live a safe life without fear of random murder’.”

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

LibertyCat posted:

and I know someone who used his lawfully owned firearm to defend against a home invader. Aren't anecdotes great?

Not an anecdote to me, I was the one who found the safe had gone and rang the cops. Big whoops to your shooty "friend" though. I guess hundreds of thousands are safe now?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

LibertyCat posted:

To clarify - do a google image search for 'reloading setup'. This is a precision, time-intensive process where a badly calibrated public machine would end in disaster. Clubs wouldn't want the liability, and there is no way having enough powder to deal with a thousand shooters on premises is a good idea.

I doubt criminals are that interested in stealing a reloading setup though.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

LibertyCat posted:

To be ineffective a law should mostly penalize criminals and cause minimal inconvenience to the innocent, not the other way around.
Ftfy.

LibertyCat posted:

Since psychopaths are in the minority*
*citation needed

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Ftfy.
*citation needed

How many cars do you pass within a meter of every week? If a non-trivial percentage of the population were actual dangerous maniacs you would be dead.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Tony Abbott hosed a dead onion.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

LibertyCat posted:

Just like a bank is a magnet for thieves, huh? And Fort Knox, too.

LibertyCat posted:

Look, we've already established that I think investment bankers(*) are beneath contempt and worth more as component parts, no need to reopen the corporate welfare debate.

(*)otherwise healthy people who could do productive work but don't and drain money from society like a leach.

LibertyCat posted:

How many cars do you pass within a meter of every week? If a non-trivial percentage of the population were actual dangerous maniacs you would be dead.

Do you suppose that psychopaths are stupid? Well they might not tend to be geniuses, but they are cunning. If you knew anything about this at all, you would realise how incredibly stupid you are.

Psychopaths are the people who successfully hide their intimate partner violence in public, and call the cops on the woman they just kicked in the spine and get an AVO out against her so that when she calls the cops on them, she's the one who gets in trouble. Not the people who run people over.

BlitzkriegOfColour fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 14, 2016

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Just like a bank is a magnet for thieves, huh? And Fort Knox, too.

Banks: It used to be the case. People don't tend to actually bring valuables into a bank anymore.
Fort Knox: Sure who is going to pay for for Fort Knox levels of security for 3.5 million guns? And it will only protect the legal, registered ones, not the ones criminals already have, import or manufacture.

^^^ It is logically impossible to know how many people commit undetectable crimes so there is no point arguing about it. Luckily gun crimes (actual crimes that harm other people, not Farmer Brown forgetting to put the shells away one day) aren't exactly easy to hide. With 3.5 million guns in the country if gun owners were generally violent people the level of gun crime would be through the roof.

LibertyCat fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 14, 2016

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

LibertyCat posted:

Banks: It used to be the case. People don't tend to actually bring valuables into a bank anymore.
Fort Knox: Sure who is going to pay for for Fort Knox levels of security for 3.5 million guns? And it will only protect the legal, registered ones, not the ones criminals already have, import or manufacture.

^^^ It is logically impossible to know how many people commit undetectable crimes so there is no point arguing about it. Luckily gun crimes (actual crimes that harm other people, not Farmer Brown forgetting to put the shells away one day) aren't exactly easy to hide. With 3.5 million guns in the country if gun owners were generally violent people the level of gun crime would be through the roof.

Have you looked at the bocsar heat maps? Firearm related offenses actually take place most often per 100k capita in areas that also have a high incidence of violence per 100k capita.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Have you looked at the bocsar heat maps? Firearm related offenses actually take place most often per 100k capita in areas that also have a high incidence of violence per 100k capita.

what's your point?

Also I should have said "licensed gun owners" in the above post. I'm not defending people who own guns illegally - altho since these people don't exactly shout it from the rooftops we have no idea what percentage of illegally owned guns are used in a violent crime.

--

This is boring. I pledge not to talk about guns again here no matter what Shoebridge idiocy Cartoon posts.

LibertyCat fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 14, 2016

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
chris bowen needs to lose the beard

no one likes a bearded politician

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

LibertyCat posted:

This is boring. I pledge not to talk about guns again here no matter what Shoebridge idiocy Cartoon posts.

Quick everybody, keep on posting about guns.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Where would I keep these guns safe?

*flexes biceps*

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Negligent posted:

Pognophobe. Wow, I just googled that to see if I remembered it right, and now know there is a Beard Liberation Front.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

LibertyCat posted:

altho since these people don't exactly shout it from the rooftops

no, they just shoot it from them

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Negligent posted:

tbh He looks PM material with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Is it just media management or is Kevin Andrews the only good high profile Labor leader at the moment?

• Locked thread