Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I'm still lol'ing at the one swamp area with a long ladder leading down to a bigger darker swamp area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I can understand what they're going for with Yhorm the Giant but man oh man, gently caress gimmick fights. That wasn't challenging just tedious.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Hey so I understand you get a little cosmetic blowback if you take five free level ups from sorcery guy. Can that be avoided by taking just four of them?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Minrad posted:

There is a matchmaking range for invaders, I believe it's +10 levels higher than you or -20 levels lower. Weapon buffs are a +/- 3 range as well, I think?

yeah but since almost everyone where im at is higher than 30, im only getting those people

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

poptart_fairy posted:

I can understand what they're going for with Yhorm the Giant but man oh man, gently caress gimmick fights. That wasn't challenging just tedious.

:agreed:

I think the worst part is that if it's your third cinder lord soul, it teleports you to the lady who's all "yo put this thing on the thing and let's go to the castle!" and then starts a boss fight... which can be kinda frustrating if you were planning to spend some souls or, you know, unequip your gimmick weapon. :mad:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

yeah but since almost everyone where im at is higher than 30, im only getting those people

drat hoss, you gotta spend some souls. I rushed a knight through to tree guy to invade people and I think he's 33.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I dunno I felt like I was at the right level for where I'm at. I guess I'll go to 45 and stay there for a bit.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiB_Sqf17vY

:stare:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

haha this is so :darksouls:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I figured out what makes characters blindingly shiny; it's a lighting engine bug. I thought someone was using a spell. :v:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Can you buy or farm all the different upgrade materials later on? I like too many weapons, I dont wanna find something new and not have enough special titanite left in the world to upgrade it.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

The biggest bummer for me right now is how linear progression seems to be. I loved jumping between different paths in DS2 and so far I'm not really seeing any meaningful branches in DS3. If you hit a tough wall you usually just have to beat your head against it till you come out on top since there's rarely alternative ways to make progress.

Also how the gently caress am I supposed to choose between the Farron and wolf greatswords? They both have such awesome movesets.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Can you buy or farm all the different upgrade materials later on? I like too many weapons, I dont wanna find something new and not have enough special titanite left in the world to upgrade it.

Yes

By the time you start finding the next upgrade tier, enemies will start dropping the last tier en masse. Now that I'm finding chunks, every enemy drops large titanite and I'm up to my ears in it. I have like 60 of the regular titanite shards alone.

kikkelivelho posted:

The biggest bummer for me right now is how linear progression seems to be. I loved jumping between different paths in DS2 and so far I'm not really seeing any meaningful branches in DS3. If you hit a tough wall you usually just have to beat your head against it till you come out on top since there's rarely alternative ways to make progress.

Also how the gently caress am I supposed to choose between the Farron and wolf greatswords? They both have such awesome movesets.

Roads of Sacrifice is the first split, with several more after that. Notable ones off the top of my head,

Farron Keep and onwards or Cathedral of the Deep
Irithyl or Smouldering Lake
Irithyl city proper or Irithyl Dungeon
Untended Garden and Lothric Castle

Minera fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 14, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pwnstar posted:

I haven't upgraded my shield, staff, or chime yet because of this, so my spells are even shittier than they'd otherwise be.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So I just killed Deacons of the Deep and...why are all the boss soul items Int and not Faith? Throw me a bone here game.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Would you guys be interested in some pvp videos? Thinking of recording some of my invasions cause I am doing well

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

Would you guys be interested in some pvp videos? Thinking of recording some of my invasions cause I am doing well

Hell yes

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Minrad posted:

Roads of Sacrifice is the first split, with several more after that. Notable ones off the top of my head,

Yeah I went through the Cathedral which was really well designed, but it's a minor branch at best with a single, somewhat gimmicky boss. Many of the individual areas themselves are on par with the DS2 DLC though which is nice.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well after Aldritch I have no idea where to go. Ran around aimlessly for a while, found Irina, some hooded thief near the second area, bunch of crystal lizards, several complete clothing sets on corpses, but otherwise :shrug:

Also, once I got my luck to 11 (111 item find) the earlier areas seemed to start raining basic titanite.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The downside of PC: I want to tell this guy he's the best summon I've played with in five games but I can't. God bless you, white summon who pointed out where to go and healed like it was your job. You are awesome.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
Whelp, I accidentally ruined whatever was supposed to happen with Yuria's quest. When you get to snow town and you make it to the bonfire inside of the church, be sure not to hit any suspicious looking statues.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hell most of the levels are large enough that they feel 3 or 4 times bigger than some of the ds2 levels

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mailer posted:

The downside of PC: I want to tell this guy he's the best summon I've played with in five games but I can't. God bless you, white summon who pointed out where to go and healed like it was your job. You are awesome.

You can add him from the recent players list.

Banana Cream Pie
Jun 17, 2009
This is probably the first DS game I've played where I'm actually actively invading and PvP'ing I just could absolutely not be bothered in any of the other ones. Mostly I am at the ice place getting my rear end beat over and over by people who know what they're doing

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So an enemy NPC and I killed each other at the same time. Is the loot still going to be there when I get back, or do I have to exit and open the game?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ufarn posted:

So an enemy NPC and I killed each other at the same time. Is the loot still going to be there when I get back, or do I have to exit and open the game?

It should be there if it's a one time spawn mob. If it's not, I think the loot will be gone.

Not completely sure though.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

For your crafting concerns. Among other things, Snuggly will trade:

Firebomb, Rope Firebomb for a Large Titanite Shard
Black Firebomb, Rope Black Firebomb for a Titanite Chunk
Prism Stone for a Twinkling Titanite

Dunno if you can keep trading or it just stops at one trade though.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Ulvirich posted:

For your crafting concerns. Among other things, Snuggly will trade:

Firebomb, Rope Firebomb for a Large Titanite Shard
Black Firebomb, Rope Black Firebomb for a Titanite Chunk
Prism Stone for a Twinkling Titanite

Dunno if you can keep trading or it just stops at one trade though.

I tried to get a second twinkling for a prism stone and it was a no go.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Regarding one of the optional zones, anyone know how to get the items here? I'm not very keen on attempting to walk on lava.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Question about early game character

The crestfallen warrior in Firelink Shrine is sometimes not there when I warp in. Is he going somewhere or is the game glitching or something? I leave and come back and he's back after 2 loading screens.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Einwand posted:

Regarding one of the optional zones, anyone know how to get the items here? I'm not very keen on attempting to walk on lava.

Put on your best fire defense stuff, and use the pyro magic "sweat" or whatever it's called. Your health still depletes rapidly, but you have enough time to heal repeatedly en route to each item. There's another lava area nearby where the same thing applies, though it has a bunch of the lava slime monsters.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I think the DS3 wiki is probably useable at this point, but this older list is still the most concise one I've seen for people who want to know where to find all the shop items

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls3JPN/comments/4crk2p/coals_tomes_scrolls_scriptures_ashes_heavy/

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The fextralife wiki seems to be the most complete this time around.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

GreyPowerVan posted:

edit: wow you said you guys were around 45 after the watchers? no wonder I feel like everyone I invade is loads stronger than me -- they are.

I know this from a bit back, but I'm just chiming in to say that I beat the watchers at 33 and was wondering the same thing :stare:. Is there any unofficial level brackets yet, like there were in DS1 and 2?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Well I now have Havel's Ring so I can roll around in heavy armour and a greatshield like the old times.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

oldpainless posted:

Question about early game character

The crestfallen warrior in Firelink Shrine is sometimes not there when I warp in. Is he going somewhere or is the game glitching or something? I leave and come back and he's back after 2 loading screens.
He'll occasionally go outside and visit the gravestones.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Where can I pick up a red eye orb for all my purple pal invading needs?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

I know this from a bit back, but I'm just chiming in to say that I beat the watchers at 33 and was wondering the same thing :stare:. Is there any unofficial level brackets yet, like there were in DS1 and 2?

The way this game works (apparently) is your bracket is +-10 levels, and +- two upgrades. So if you upgrade anything (even if it's not equipped) to, say, +5, you're only going to see people who have upgraded something to +3 to +7.

This means its going to be much harder to troll people with mondo upgraded weapons and armor and basically zero souls. More so because you can't upgrade armor this go around.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I've found a couple of sorcery casting weapons, but are there any miracle casting weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Uhh, am I supposed to be able to beat High Lord Wolnir? He has impossibly high HP.