Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Libertad! posted:

Even though the guy's like a big businessman used to this, it's not kosher to make fun of people's names when we can't necessarily choose them when we're born (barring some cultural traditions). One might retort 'just legally change your name,' but by then you've grown used to it for nearly 2 decades.

That man has a name most of us can only aspire to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TheTatteredKing posted:

Missed opportunity to name your kid Richard, Cocks senior

In high school I played sports against a kid named Guy Sack

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, the closest I've come to any of that is that I once worked with a guy named John Holmes.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I know a guy named Richard William Reach. His AIM name was DickWillReach. He's awesome.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, the closest I've come to any of that is that I once worked with a guy named John Holmes.

I currently work with a guy named that

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Nystral posted:

I know a guy named Richard William Reach. His AIM name was DickWillReach. He's awesome.

I knew a Richard Wanke.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I have had the pleasure of knowing both a Constance Harden and a Richard Aycock.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I once played a game called "GURPS."

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Bedlamdan posted:

I had an asian TA in college literally named Bamboo Dong.

Ah yes, sustainable growth.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

jadarx posted:

I knew a Richard Wanke.

I've got a friend who works with a, no joke, Richard Punches

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In college my friend named S. Beaver was put in a dorm room with M. Shaver.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Bruceski posted:

In college my friend named S. Beaver was put in a dorm room with M. Shaver.

I would love if their kids got married and did the joint name approach: Beaver-Shaver.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I had a Navy friend who had spent some unfortunate time as Seaman Schott.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I knew one guy whose first name was Xev and another guy whose last name was Xeriax and I've always been angry that they weren't the same guy.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
One of the postgrads on my degree course was Richard Head.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Kid in my Highschool was named Gaylord Inglebert Humperdink (He was special needs, so no one really had the balls to make fun of him for it), and one of my co-worker's email address was khunt@thing.tla

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
A local urologist is named Dr. Leak.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

moths posted:

I had a Navy friend who had spent some unfortunate time as Seaman Schott.

I was cleaning out a filing cabinet in my last ship and found documentation of a Seaman Stane.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Bedlamdan posted:

I had an asian TA in college literally named Bamboo Dong.

I can believe that because there is someone named Bamboo Dong who writes for Anime News Network. Either it is the same person or somehow there is 2 people in the world named Bamboo Dong.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's a guy in my office named Manny Orgas. Which is a perfectly fine name, were it not for the fact that the office's email naming convention scheme is [last name] + [first initial]

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=dick

"Dick" didn't mean "penis" until at least 1891, and probably not widely used that way until some time after that.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
I've met a man named Richard Tucker. He did not go by his full given name.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

I've met a man named Richard Tucker. He did not go by his full given name.

Rich Tucker? idgi :confused:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Rich Tucker? idgi :confused:

Dick Tucker

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
That's enough dick jokes for the industry thread. Take it to the chat thread!

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

ProfessorCirno posted:

The actual reason is that Mike Mearls is just as much a shithead as they are. The problem isn't "Mearls was fooled into thinking they'd be good for the company," the problem is "Mearls is actually a representative of this industry in the first place." He absolutely stands by every lovely thing they've done.

He has repented of Tarnowski, IIRC. (All it took was a racist screed about burqas!) Mike didn't seem to understand that people were less than forthcoming with him about information about the harassment because he was in direct contact with the perpetrator and basically wanted to run information by that person that would continue the harassment.

I mean the main thing you have to understand with WotC is that the folks there have contractual restrictions on their speech and are otherwise motivated to tell you that poo poo tastes like ice cream. Other outfits will have their biases (and sadly, company interest in personal speech beyond basic human decency stuff is getting stronger) but WotC is where I have heard the phrase "non-disparagement clause" emanate from.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Incidentally, on WotC and hateful speech: I learned yesterday from Mark Rosewater's blog that at tournaments, use of misogynistic or hateful speech is now against the rules - if you witness someone using slurs or stuff like 'that deck raped me' they encourage you to call over a judge to handle the situation. This, I think, is a real cool thing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mors Rattus posted:

Incidentally, on WotC and hateful speech: I learned yesterday from Mark Rosewater's blog that at tournaments, use of misogynistic or hateful speech is now against the rules - if you witness someone using slurs or stuff like 'that deck raped me' they encourage you to call over a judge to handle the situation. This, I think, is a real cool thing.

Whoa, nice. I can't wait to finally be able to use this in tournaments instead of just calling people out on their poo poo. :getin:

e: just looked at his blog and didn't see anything about it. Link please?

e2: thank you \/ \/ \/

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 14, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This is the one.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, that is good news. And I think it calls for a bit of a reality check that could be hopeful or dismal, depending. This hobby has a lot of internal cultural problems, but it's not bad that we have these conversations. In other subcultures a lot of the same things and worse happen, but you've got barriers to talking about it. Generally, the scenes I've been in where passing on a technical skill or being in a set hierarchy are things, you've got bad poo poo going on people can't address because 1) you need to learn from the person being garbage; 2) coach says to shut up.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

MalcolmSheppard posted:

He has repented of Tarnowski, IIRC. (All it took was a racist screed about burqas!)

Link?

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Yeah, that is good news. And I think it calls for a bit of a reality check that could be hopeful or dismal, depending. This hobby has a lot of internal cultural problems, but it's not bad that we have these conversations. In other subcultures a lot of the same things and worse happen, but you've got barriers to talking about it. Generally, the scenes I've been in where passing on a technical skill or being in a set hierarchy are things, you've got bad poo poo going on people can't address because 1) you need to learn from the person being garbage; 2) coach says to shut up.

I think a lot of those cultural problems stems from nerds being so backwaters about decency and language. Pulling them kicking and screaming into the 21st century is going to be...interesting, that's for sure.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I waiting to see the first "Pro Tour Qualifer" level player or above catch a game loss for saying stuff that gets said pretty much on the regular by people not known as LSV. It's nice to paean to the Judge's authority but the de facto reality is not a lot of regular players are going to make waves in a (weakly) closed society.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gerund posted:

I waiting to see the first "Pro Tour Qualifer" level player or above catch a game loss for saying stuff that gets said pretty much on the regular by people not known as LSV. It's nice to paean to the Judge's authority but the de facto reality is not a lot of regular players are going to make waves in a (weakly) closed society.

Well, I'm more concerned that judges won't apply any real penalties as they should be. I know the judges working at certain local stores would do so but I know others won't.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

MalcolmSheppard posted:

He has repented of Tarnowski, IIRC. (All it took was a racist screed about burqas!) Mike didn't seem to understand that people were less than forthcoming with him about information about the harassment because he was in direct contact with the perpetrator and basically wanted to run information by that person that would continue the harassment.

I relayed (and found links for) a bunch of things at the request of several people and never heard back, IIRC. I was told that he was just gathering information for his boss and got asked some followup Qs, but that was it.

Did he ever say anything publicly? Not that I don't believe he'd wash his hands of the Marxists are coming to impose Sharia law on gamers! guy, but still.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mors Rattus posted:

This is a really good sign for the health of the hobby as a whole.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Gerund posted:

What's LSV mean in this context?

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

paradoxGentleman posted:

Its a players name Luis Scott-Vargas.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jivjov posted:

This is a really good sign for the health of the hobby as a whole.

Is it, though? I mean, they're admitting there's a problem, but I don't see much actual action being taken. People won't call anyone out on it. I mean, whatever happened with xbox live banning or suspending you for hate speech? That was a ~big deal~ a year or two ago and I don't think that was ever actually enforced.

paradoxGentleman posted:

He is a wizard poker professional who is the only one I know of that isn't full of poo poo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chill la Chill posted:

Is it, though? I mean, they're admitting there's a problem, but I don't see much actual action being taken. People won't call anyone out on it. I mean, whatever happened with xbox live banning or suspending you for hate speech? That was a ~big deal~ a year or two ago and I don't think that was ever actually enforced.

It is going to come down to individual judges being willing/able to make rulings on stuff like that stick...but the fact that the higher ups are willing to say "this is unacceptable behavior" at all is a great sign.

And honestly, if people know about that blog post and know that they can call out toxic players, I really think they will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Chill la Chill posted:

He is a wizard poker professional who is the only one I know of that isn't full of poo poo.

Has Kibler done something lovely lately?

• Locked thread