Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

man nurse posted:

Uhh, am I supposed to be able to beat High Lord Wolnir? He has impossibly high HP.

Hit the bracelets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh thank god I can just go talk to that guy to get the red orb because I failed five times to get a stable connection or hit someone with the cracked eyes.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Andrast posted:

Hit the bracelets

I'm an idiot.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

That lovely Smouldering Lake area has all of the game's worst enemies in it and old DK has some hosed up hitboxes

Totally agree, I have had no complaints about the zones in the game except for the Demon Ruins, it's just terrible. Not only are the mobs obnoxious as hell (Especially like you say, the knights with homing tracking that can practically one shot you) but the whole place is just a lazy rear end copy paste job of corridors using the same two assets.

It's a shame because I thought what they did with Izaith in DS2's dlc was incredible.

Banana Cream Pie
Jun 17, 2009

man nurse posted:

I'm an idiot.

I'm fairly sure you can also just get away with hitting his hands, I don't think you have to directly hit his bracelets

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Ultra late game area spoiler: Utended Graves is one of the best uses of recycling areas in the whole series. Heck, they even outdid one of DS1's shittier concepts, namely having to fight the tutorial boss again except this time he's stronger. But instead of copypasting the model with bigger numbers and an AoE, what if the original boss was a chump and the real full powered one has a ridiculous moveset?
I mean, man was Champion GGundyr a good fight.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Quick yes/no, do we revisit Ash Lake one more time?

Aurainsoph
Nov 5, 2009
I"m so terrible at this game I can't make it past the first boss that you pull sword out of. I also refuse to not play thief while trying to play like a front line tank that can't dodge.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
So what ever became of the "bonfire creating" mechanic thing they teased? I really liked the idea of being able to drag a corpse to a spot and turn it in to a temporary bonfire.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

So far the first half of road of sacrifices is by far the worst area if come across in the game. It's a dull environment crawling with annoying enemies and you have multiple bonfires within 100 meters, which can be a good or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. Crystal Sage is also terrible boss both in terms of gameplay and visual design.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm not ashamed to admit I died to a crab because I was too busy laughing at its move and attack animation.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Aurainsoph posted:

I"m so terrible at this game I can't make it past the first boss that you pull sword out of. I also refuse to not play thief while trying to play like a front line tank that can't dodge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhaZKVT8jPU this guy highlights some good thief playstyle vs iudex. starts at 2:45. good video to learn from

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What? I loved the sage

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aurainsoph posted:

I never use a shield but refuse to strip down enough to get the best roll because obviously bigger defence numbers equals better :downs:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

kikkelivelho posted:

So far the first half of road of sacrifices is by far the worst area if come across in the game. It's a dull environment crawling with annoying enemies and you have multiple bonfires within 100 meters, which can be a good or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. Crystal Sage is also terrible boss both in terms of gameplay and visual design.

I liked crystal sage but he was a pretty easy fight. I beat him first try with half health and estus since I stumbled on him, and only died because his copies didn't go away when I DEFEATED.

gently caress those crowthings though. They mob you and stunlock you to eternity.

quote:

I'm not ashamed to admit I died to a crab because I was too busy laughing at its move and attack animation.

I love those crabs.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

kikkelivelho posted:

Nah

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Am I wrong that greatsword and spear balance is a bit off right now? Every greatsword I've found has only slightly more AR than a Longsword but is significantly slower, and doesn't seem to stagger any better, either. Spears seem like they're in the same position. Even aside from pokes not being as helpful, due to the larger number of group fights, they also just don't seem to do enough damage for their speed--even the ones that have sweeping attacks, like the Partizan, can't keep up damage-wise.

It seems like other heavy weapons are okay, or big, heavy axes at least, but greatswords and spears seem to be firmly in the "using this is handicapping yourself" category right now. PvP might be different for spears, but not for greatswords.

kikkelivelho posted:

I barely remember the first half of that area because the Cathedral of the Deep is so much more annoying. It's like they took everything annoying they could possibly think of to put in the game and put it all in one area.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

TheQat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhaZKVT8jPU this guy highlights some good thief playstyle vs iudex. starts at 2:45. good video to learn from

ah yes, why didn't this completely new player think to just PARRY the giant fast swinging dude.

here's how you beat iudex as a thief: take the sword out, wait half a second, swing a ton until he stands up. you've now taken 1/4 his hp. dodge towards him any time he swings and when he stops swinging, hit him a few times. repeat.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Am I wrong that greatsword and spear balance is a bit off right now? Every greatsword I've found has only slightly more AR than a Longsword but is significantly slower, and doesn't seem to stagger any better, either. Spears seem like they're in the same position. Even aside from pokes not being as helpful, due to the larger number of group fights, they also just don't seem to do enough damage for their speed--even the ones that have sweeping attacks, like the Partizan, can't keep up damage-wise.

The only spear I've found is a pike I can't use, but the greatswords seem barely worth using one-handed, but really good two-handed. It was really noticeable trying and failing to hit a single player with the claymore's one-handed R1 compared to whaling on everyone all day with the two-handed R1, which also has better tracking than you'd think.

The big thing is that they're too slow against most pve enemies when one-handed. If you attack while almost anything is winding up, you either both take damage, or your attack doesn't go through because your poise is worthless unless you have a massive pool of it. In Mirrah armor using the poise-increasing arts doesn't raise it enough to let something actually go through; in knight or exile it will, but you'll be hurting for it.

Also using the ISS one handed and the claymore+3 onehanded, both will do similar damage in a similar time using the full bar, the ISS is safer just because the attacks come out a little quicker.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Harrow posted:

I barely remember the first half of that area because the Cathedral of the Deep is so much more annoying. It's like they took everything annoying they could possibly think of to put in the game and put it all in one area.

the Cathedral of the Deep is one of the best areas I've come across. Amazing level design with a variety of different encounters and enemies with an unorthodox gimmick boss that's still interesting to fight. It's one of the areas that I'd consider to be on par with the DS2 DLC ones.

Banana Cream Pie
Jun 17, 2009

GreyPowerVan posted:

What? I loved the sage

Same here. I thought it was going to be a pretty boring fight and then the first time he creates his clones and the musical score kicks was intense

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I've been using a small shield to parry, and its nice because the window feels really big. What I noticed though is that I often take damage even when I land the parry. Is this just how parries work now, or am I landing it on like the tail end so that I take partial damage, kinda like the half block mechanic when you miss a parry in previous games?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

What are good breakpoints for weapon upgrades when PvPing in certain areas?

I've a +3 bandit knife and great scythe and they're not cutting it in the spinny ninja skellington area. Also, just give me some goddamned vertebrae! I just need 5 more and invading is such a crapshoot.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

How big is Cathedral? I've killed a boss but still have a way to go that I haven't explored across the raise-able...gates? Bridges? They're weird. Anyway, I found the swamp in Road to Sacrifice way, way more annoying myself thus far. Or rather, finding all the loot and exploring everywhere - just beelining to the fires and then the door, the swamp wouldn't be so bad at all. But getting the goodies is the most annoying thing in the game so far between the water and most importantly those loving big-rear end tree guys whose weapons fire 20 Pursuers with every swing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

The only spear I've found is a pike I can't use, but the greatswords seem barely worth using one-handed, but really good two-handed. It was really noticeable trying and failing to hit a single player with the claymore's one-handed R1 compared to whaling on everyone all day with the two-handed R1, which also has better tracking than you'd think.

The big thing is that they're too slow against most pve enemies when one-handed. If you attack while almost anything is winding up, you either both take damage, or your attack doesn't go through because your poise is worthless unless you have a massive pool of it. In Mirrah armor using the poise-increasing arts doesn't raise it enough to let something actually go through; in knight or exile it will, but you'll be hurting for it.

Also using the ISS one handed and the claymore+3 onehanded, both will do similar damage in a similar time using the full bar, the ISS is safer just because the attacks come out a little quicker.

One other kind of amusing thing with greatswords is that some of them turn into monsters when infused. The Astora Greatsword, apparently, leaps up to A Int/A Faith scaling if you infuse it with Chaos, which is seriously better than its physical scaling could ever be with any infusion. It's kind of hilarious.

kikkelivelho posted:

the Cathedral of the Deep is one of the best areas I've come across. Amazing level design with a variety of different encounters and enemies with an unorthodox gimmick boss that's still interesting to fight. It's one of the areas that I'd consider to be on par with the DS2 DLC ones.

I haven't actually gotten to the second half of it yet, so maybe I'll like that more. The rooftop part can go die in a fire, really. Far too many of those little hollows who crawl down from the walls and ceilings. I feel like I have to inch forward and constantly be scanning every wall, especially because they're so often positioned to ambush you while you're fighting a more dangerous enemy (like those Bloodborne-dashing dual-dagger assholes).

voltron lion force posted:

I've been using a small shield to parry, and its nice because the window feels really big. What I noticed though is that I often take damage even when I land the parry. Is this just how parries work now, or am I landing it on like the tail end so that I take partial damage, kinda like the half block mechanic when you miss a parry in previous games?

Yeah, you're just barely missing the window. The half-block mechanic is also in. I think it's like a sliding scale--if you nail it, you take no damage; if you miss the window a tiny bit, you take chip damage but still parry; if you miss the window by a little more than that, you don't parry but get the partial block. (I think this was in DS1, too, or at least I've definitely parried someone and still gotten hit in that.)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Minrad posted:

Yes

By the time you start finding the next upgrade tier, enemies will start dropping the last tier en masse. Now that I'm finding chunks, every enemy drops large titanite and I'm up to my ears in it. I have like 60 of the regular titanite shards alone.

Roads of Sacrifice is the first split, with several more after that. Notable ones off the top of my head,

Farron Keep and onwards or Cathedral of the Deep
Irithyl or Smouldering Lake
Irithyl city proper or Irithyl Dungeon
Untended Garden and Lothric Castle

The first choice has an objectively correct decision:

cathedral is the correct choice btw if you do farron keep it will lock you out of quite a few npc quests

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

GreyPowerVan posted:

ah yes, why didn't this completely new player think to just PARRY the giant fast swinging dude.

here's how you beat iudex as a thief: take the sword out, wait half a second, swing a ton until he stands up. you've now taken 1/4 his hp. dodge towards him any time he swings and when he stops swinging, hit him a few times. repeat.

use firebombs

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

they're so often positioned to ambush you while you're fighting a more dangerous enemy (like those Bloodborne-dashing dual-dagger assholes).

:darksouls:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

The first choice has an objectively correct decision:

You also get a number of items from the former that can help mitigate the stuff in the latter.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

So is it just me or does lightning spear hit like a wet fart 90% of the time?

I'm questioning my Faith at this point.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Lightning spear has drop off damage at range; it does more the closer you are to the target.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Ulvirich posted:

Lightning spear has drop off damage at range; it does more the closer you are to the target.

Does the drop-off start the second it leaves your hand, or after a certain distance?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Does faith ever get better in this game? I'm past the Crystal Sage and I'm really regretting choosing herald. The only spell I care about is replenishment and a pyromancer could cast that too, as well as magic weapon and fireball. What's more, I've heard that lightning spear, which I still haven't found, sucks. And that you need to go 60 deep into faith to hit the soft cap, but since leveling is painfully slow this time and it seems like you'll end up at a lower level than DS1 or 2, I have no idea how you can afford 60 into a damage stat without gimping your survival. And on top of that, the cool looking dex/faith weapons on the wiki look like trap choices because they have significant physical scaling and moderate strength requirements, making it seem like you'll need 40 dex and 60 faith for them to deal competitive damage, so who cares if you can heal when all the enemies drop you in one hit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

One other kind of amusing thing with greatswords is that some of them turn into monsters when infused. The Astora Greatsword, apparently, leaps up to A Int/A Faith scaling if you infuse it with Chaos, which is seriously better than its physical scaling could ever be with any infusion. It's kind of hilarious.

Chaos seems pretty lategame but I might want to consider that for my Claymore, since I'm going to stop str/dex early and pump the rest. Does the quality build infusion consider all stats or just str/dex? Also which one was that again?

quote:

Does faith ever get better in this game? I'm past the Crystal Sage and I'm really regretting choosing herald. The only spell I care about is replenishment and a pyromancer could cast that too, as well as magic weapon and fireball.

Where's Flame Weapon? Is it a boss item again?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Aurainsoph posted:

Roll more often. Roll all the time. Put all your points into endurance and roll forever and ever and ever and ever. Abuse those iframes. Also try to parry once in a while. It's not as hard as it seems.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Anyone try/witness the Farron Greatsword in pvp yet? That moveset looks amazing, but I have a feeling that it'll get you murdered once people figure out the timing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

So is it just me or does lightning spear hit like a wet fart 90% of the time?

I'm questioning my Faith at this point.

Lightning Spears do significantly more damage point-blank. Test it out--cast it on an enemy at range, then cast it on the same type of enemy while you're standing right next to them. It's a huge difference. Miracles are pretty solidly melee-magic this time.

RBA Starblade posted:

Chaos seems pretty lategame but I might want to consider that for my Claymore, since I'm going to stop str/dex early and pump the rest. Does the quality build infusion consider all stats or just str/dex? Also which one was that again?

Where's Flame Weapon? Is it a boss item again?

The quality infusion is Refined and it's only Str/Dex.

Flame Weapon is called Carthus Flame Arc this time and you get it by giving a pyromancy tome that you find in the Catacombs of Carthus, I think, to the pyromancy trainer.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

drat, getting equipment load up is tough as balls. I got some of the knights armor (just missing the chest) but it makes me into a slow moving tank. This warrior armor seems so weak and poo poo tho - I get hit so hard. I thought the Bloodborne thing where you can fight back to get your health was here - I really miss it. :(

And drat the first real boss - almost 1 shot him, but he went spastic when he had like 2 or 3 hits left and I died.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
why are the stairs on this side? anyone attacking your castle can now walk up the stairs and kill men in your gatehouse

immersion ruined, steam refund filed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Pontiff Sulyvahn; Best boss in all the Souls games?

I still haven't beaten him but holy poo poo my heart is pounding. This is like Darklurker crossed with Artorias... on steroids. The second phase gimmick is incredible and the way his shadow telegraphs what his main body will do means that you're not getting RNG hosed, it's your own fault if you get hit. Unless he has a phase three which is bullshit, this is probably my favorite fight.

Harrow posted:

Am I wrong that greatsword and spear balance is a bit off right now?

Greatswords are so awful in this game right now. I do like 20% more damage with a greatsword than my straight sword (equally upgraded) which still means 2 or 3 hitting enemies, making it completely rubbish. I used spears for all of my early game because I really like spears, but they got a huge nerf in this game. Instead of stabbing forward, you're first stabbing slightly to the right which means that spears hit walls just as much as slashing swords :eng99: I really want to use and like Arstor's Spear, both because of it's nice healing and because it looks so cool but it's worse than a straight sword in every other way.

I'm not sure if I like or dislike it. I've always been a fan of straight swords (I blame Zelda), and I DS2 they weren't that good unless you were wearing the Stone Ring since they dealt very little poise... but in this game they're so much better than everything else it kinda feels unfair.