Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Miss Wallace posted:

New Baywatching is public:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LROF7Doffw8

I consider this one of the quintessential episodes of the show, Mitch is paralyzed and they try to cure his paralysis through product placement. Delicious cheese.
If it were a Coke he'd be dancing :colbert:

This is the best episode yet, Alison. On a side note, would you rather people here call you Lupa, Wallace, Alison, or...that one character from that one review who's name escapes me? I want to say her name was Tricia Cheerleader or Brittany Popular or something...she died in a horrifying off-screen accident...

edit: Also, Brandon Turner reuploaded one of his earlier episodes that's been down for years, Gunhed. It's a completely incomprehensible foreign-ish cyberpunk film that borrows heavily from Terminator. You can tell it's an earlier review of his because it uses clips from other movies and shows to showcase reactions to things, which most reviewers grew out of/plain ol' don't do anymore cause of copyright.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

MrSlam posted:

This is the best episode yet, Alison. On a side note, would you rather people here call you Lupa, Wallace, Alison, or...that one character from that one review who's name escapes me? I want to say her name was Tricia Cheerleader or Brittany Popular or something...she died in a horrifying off-screen accident...

Ha ha jenny Perfect, clearly my greatest character next to Dr. Crest.

I usually go by Allison nowadays but I'm fine with whatever. :) Lots of folks still call me Lupa.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

MrSlam posted:

I'm posting this hoping it doesn't turn into a misogyny discussion

Guru Larry does a Fact Hunt on 3 Forgotten...instances where journalism related to a certain media was not rigorous in their integrity and fans of said media were upset and insulted by the blatant disregard for the consumer in said instance. I've never even heard of the Driv3r controversy so I'll have to look up a let's play of it sometime.

I'm surprised he didn't look at Rise of the Robots. I remember a ton of magazines gushing all over it and early reviews being glowing. Then people got the game and.... yeah, it was rear end.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Archer666 posted:

I'm surprised he didn't look at Rise of the Robots. I remember a ton of magazines gushing all over it and early reviews being glowing. Then people got the game and.... yeah, it was rear end.

Oh man I don't remember if I saw a review of that or if it was at our local crusty old arcade but I remember that being very very rear end indeed.

edit: It may have been a very disappointing Blockbuster rental.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 13, 2016

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
It's so interesting how Baywatch's blatant product placement does not hold a candle now to the blatant product placement you see in some movies now. We have come a long way since the 90's.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Archer666 posted:

To be fair, I don't think you can call that one "forgotten", that game is still synonymous with debacle for anyone who was around in the era, because it was on every platform under the sun.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Miss Wallace posted:

New Baywatching is public:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LROF7Doffw8

I consider this one of the quintessential episodes of the show, Mitch is paralyzed and they try to cure his paralysis through product placement. Delicious cheese.

Please tell me the episode where Mitch get paralyzed is not really called "Shattered"

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Good news, everyone! The latest episode of NC is available... on a monthly-fee platform.

Because giving Channel Awesome money for services is a great idea.

Like the game show...

:|

Anyways, if you do have $5 / month to spend on quality online entertainment, here's the link... to Lupa's Patreon:

http://patreon.com/movienights

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

lornekates posted:

Good news, everyone! The latest episode of NC is available... on a monthly-fee platform.

Because giving Channel Awesome money for services is a great idea.

Like the game show...

:|

Anyways, if you do have $5 / month to spend on quality online entertainment, here's the link... to Lupa's Patreon:

http://patreon.com/movienights

I wonder if the people who paid for the game show kickstarter now have to buy an additional 5 bucks to even watch it

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Who would I subscribe to at channel awesome? Everyone who left.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That takes some balls to pull that crap, but then again people are still giving Spoony money for no content so what do I know

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Where's the fair use? The same place the Walkers and Michaud's sense of decency and sense went.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Leal posted:

I wonder if the people who paid for the game show kickstarter now have to buy an additional 5 bucks to even watch it

lolnope

The Game Show isn't on their "premium" channel. Mainly because the gameshow isn't anywhere, because as far as I can tell, it's dead. Even if it was, still NOPE! Buy a subscription.

Revisiting the Indiegogo is still hilarious, and moreso each time:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/channel-awesome-s-new-shows-and-more

- Someone actually shelled out $6500 to be in an NC episode. I have no idea if this was ever fulfilled. It still shocks me every time I revisit that page. I think my brain actively refuses to index that face.

- New fun since I last checked: One of the perks is a hand-drawn sketch from Doug. For $250. Keep in mind they held a contest for full-color, Drew Struzan style artwork. And it was for exposure. Or $100 or something equally insulting. But a sketch-- something most artists will do fast and for free at conventions-- $250. See, artists should be paid for their artwork...

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Do they want to lose what little viewership they have left?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Just going by the youtube numbers, I think they are doing fine. Pretty well actually.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

lornekates posted:

lolnope

The Game Show isn't on their "premium" channel. Mainly because the gameshow isn't anywhere, because as far as I can tell, it's dead. Even if it was, still NOPE! Buy a subscription.

Revisiting the Indiegogo is still hilarious, and moreso each time:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/channel-awesome-s-new-shows-and-more

- Someone actually shelled out $6500 to be in an NC episode. I have no idea if this was ever fulfilled. It still shocks me every time I revisit that page. I think my brain actively refuses to index that face.

- New fun since I last checked: One of the perks is a hand-drawn sketch from Doug. For $250. Keep in mind they held a contest for full-color, Drew Struzan style artwork. And it was for exposure. Or $100 or something equally insulting. But a sketch-- something most artists will do fast and for free at conventions-- $250. See, artists should be paid for their artwork...

For once, they did actually fulfill something they said they would with the $6500 guy. I think it was the Man of Steel episode a while back. Not sure about the pictures though. I honestly haven't watched NC in forever though, so maybe I should back away before we get another post asking if Doug likes trains.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

e X posted:

Just going by the youtube numbers, I think they are doing fine. Pretty well actually.

Free entertainment ratings are not necessarily the same as paid-for entertainment ratings.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Free entertainment ratings are not necessarily the same as paid-for entertainment ratings.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see whether Doug can manage on a pay platform. I'm inclined to think "no," but he's a lot more popular than I'd expect (or like) so...

I guess it depends on his viewers and whether, say, they're old enough to have a credit card. Five bux a month doesn't sound that major, if you get a lot of different stuff.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I posted this in the AVGN thread but this one is a bit more active:

AVGN Auction!

Sounds like a good cause and I'm glad his daughter is doing well. I can't even begin to imagine what he and his wife went through.

I'll have to see what he puts up on ebay. I'll probably bid of a few things.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So much for WTFU, then? I mean, once it became obvious that Youtube wouldn't immediately change their policies, they just go to asking fans to pay to watch episodes?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Doug is an opportunistic rear end in a top hat, or worse an enabler for opportunistic assholes. He is a hypocrite in his methods, a dullard as a critic and above all else does not seem to give one flying gently caress about anything that he did or let happen for the past several years.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Annointed posted:

Doug is an opportunistic rear end in a top hat, or worse an enabler for opportunistic assholes. He is a hypocrite in his methods, a dullard as a critic and above all else does not seem to give one flying gently caress about anything that he did.

It seems to have served him reasonably well in his career so far, at least...

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

It seems to have served him reasonably well in his career so far, at least...

I recall that his numbers are actually dropping steadily over the years. I might be wrong since the last time I checked that it was literally the day all the critics came in and thrown all the dirty laundry in the air.

EDIT: Checking google trends show that yes his numbers while still bigger than they were pre November 2014, they are still on the decline since that date. Nostalgia Critic also shows lower numbers at a steady rate. I can easily see the pay per view system being a bit desperate to retain a hardcore audience after basically making it the Doug Show and Others.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 14, 2016

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Jimbot posted:

I posted this in the AVGN thread but this one is a bit more active:

AVGN Auction!

Sounds like a good cause and I'm glad his daughter is doing well. I can't even begin to imagine what he and his wife went through.

I'll have to see what he puts up on ebay. I'll probably bid of a few things.

I was just coming here to post the same. I made an account at the Sellersville website since it's the main auction house and all the bids are going to end up being processed there eventually.

The story about James' baby and wife hurt my heart. I did know that there had been complications with James' baby's birth, but this is the first time he's ever talked about the details publicly as far as I know. So I googled "traumatic birth" and "forceps" out of curiosity, since I own a uterus, and I... I mean... :stonk: Hell. It's good to know that his daughter is doing better now, but if his wife is still has injuries from the birth like he says, that's not good. :ohdear: I hope they sued the poo poo out of someone.

I am not gonna have a baby. Never. Not evveeerrrr :cry:

Annointed posted:

Doug is an opportunistic rear end in a top hat, or worse an enabler for opportunistic assholes. He is a hypocrite in his methods, a dullard as a critic and above all else does not seem to give one flying gently caress about anything that he did or let happen for the past several years.
And he never would've been as successful without the help of James, who will always be a bigger talent and a bigger person than he is. I was actually disappointed that The Critic is in the new AVGN video game. I really hope he wasn't paid for use of his likeness, but he probably was.

Otherwise, Angry Video Game Nerd II: ASSimilation is a very rad game.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

You are a liar and a cheat.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ok I just started watching Baywatching and it's glorious. Thank you Allison, I don't think I've laughed harder at an Internet Critic video in a long time.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Did Doug and co start a Patreon yet? You know, that "slap in the face"?

e X posted:

Please tell me the episode where Mitch get paralyzed is not really called "Shattered"

It sure as poo poo is. Also the next episode he kickboxes and it's called "Kicks"

hopeandjoy posted:

Ok I just started watching Baywatching and it's glorious. Thank you Allison, I don't think I've laughed harder at an Internet Critic video in a long time.

Thanks so much!!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Speaking of Doug, Bennett has a new Anime Abandon out featuring The Nostalgia Critic. They review Speed Racer.
This is probably going to be tough to watch. The last time Doug and Bennett did a review together was on The Guyver, and it was the most painfully unfunny review Sage did in a long time, due in no small part to Doug's usual overacting and shrieking.

EDIT: Aaaand right off the bat things are going downhill. We've got an overly long, unfunny sketch before the loving review starts. Oh dear... Also holy gently caress is Doug's microphone lovely.

EDIT EDIT: I think I've figured out why I hate Doug's crossover reviews so much. He basically lords over whoever he's reviewing alongside and smashes their perspectives on the film by bullying them onscreen. Sure, it might be an act, but considering what we know about Doug, I'm certain a lot of this probably also happened during the script writing. Doug is not a guest star on someone else's show, he takes over the show for the episode and turns it into another loving NC episode.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 14, 2016

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkup4zo97E0

This guy only has two videos on his channel, but I liked this one so much I subscribed anyway.

This perfectly describes my experience of staying up super late and hoping my parents didn't notice I was watching Adult Swim as a child and preteen.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

FourLeaf posted:

This perfectly describes my experience of staying up super late and hoping my parents didn't notice I was watching Adult Swim as a child and preteen.
I did that too! ...with Beavis and Butthead and MTV's Oddities in the early 90s. I guess some things never change. :) But watching the original Adult Swim in college was magical in its own way.

END ME SCOOB posted:

You are a liar and a cheat.

Well... I am a cheat, actually. I used an auto turbo fire button to blow through all the bosses and beat the game.

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 14, 2016

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Miss Wallace posted:

Did Doug and co start a Patreon yet? You know, that "slap in the face"?

As far as I know, they are on Vessel now.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Ema Nymton posted:

I did that too! ...with Beavis and Butthead and MTV's Oddities in the early 90s. I guess some things never change. :)

In the same boat here (albeit younger), though being Canadian my late night network of choice was relegated to Teletoon's Unleashed/Detour blocks (and on that note, Clone High and Undergrads were and still continue to be rad as gently caress).

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 14, 2016

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

EDIT EDIT: I think I've figured out why I hate Doug's crossover reviews so much. He basically lords over whoever he's reviewing alongside and smashes their perspectives on the film by bullying them onscreen. Sure, it might be an act, but considering what we know about Doug, I'm certain a lot of this probably also happened during the script writing. Doug is not a guest star on someone else's show, he takes over the show for the episode and turns it into another loving NC episode.

On one of the snob podcasts there was an interview where Diamanda Hagan talks about it regarding her Heavy Metal episode, and one of the things that harmed her was having to push back on the actual info about the movie instead of just riffing on it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Speaking of Doug, Bennett has a new Anime Abandon out featuring The Nostalgia Critic. They review Speed Racer.
This is probably going to be tough to watch. The last time Doug and Bennett did a review together was on The Guyver, and it was the most painfully unfunny review Sage did in a long time, due in no small part to Doug's usual overacting and shrieking.

EDIT: Aaaand right off the bat things are going downhill. We've got an overly long, unfunny sketch before the loving review starts. Oh dear... Also holy gently caress is Doug's microphone lovely.

There's almost a shred of self-awareness with the "why does anyone work for you?!" bit before it vanishes back into the ether. At least Gabe got to be happy for once :allears:.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

And also the worst part is seeing him say the CGI looks bad when it's done so stylistically it manages to actually look good. Instead whenever he says bad cgi the exact clip he says it are the dynamic and colorful and well done compositions of fast cars doing fast things.

Or the "so speed racer was gateway for other poo poo anime movies :smug:"

Yes, Sage literally just said the multiple reasons why anime adaptations have such a hard time being allowed air to breathe, and just says "lol these movies suck so it shouldn't have bothered to open the doors for other directors."

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So that Sage review was really just a Nostalgia Critic review in disguise, he seriously just dominates the entire review

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Testekill posted:

So that Sage review was really just a Nostalgia Critic review in disguise, he seriously just dominates the entire review

That's most NC crossovers. Doug tends to write the scripts for them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's great when he does stuff with James Rolfe because when Mike is there you can just feel waves of hatred for Doug Walker coming off of Mike, and James is totally oblivious to all of it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hating Speed Racer means you've got lovely taste in movies, Critic. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
#DougWatch2016

• Locked thread