Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a swamp with a long ladder that goes down to another swamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol that's actually kinda funny.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh no, a retread of Dark Souls 2, we can't have that.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
starting to reconsidering giving dark souls a try since it seems to be made for crazy people

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

starting to reconsidering giving dark souls a try since it seems to be made for crazy people

Stay far away from the community and you're grand!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dark Souls isn't just for crazy people but it does attract them

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Also if you're on console prepare for honorbaby invaders yelling at you via messages when you murder them mid-bow.

Because how dare you attack an invader!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I never touch pvp and would probably play off line if I didn't like reading all the messages and seeing where people died

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I plan on staying in Baby's Covenant for Babies (the one that summons another player to defend you from invasions) forever

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think you mean 'blue cops' or 'fun police'.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I never touch pvp and would probably play off line if I didn't like reading all the messages and seeing where people died

Same. The PvP stuff is cool but i'm not dealing with this poo poo while i'm playing normally so I try to murder the dude as fast as possible.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Can't you stay in non-Ember'd-up form to avoid invaders?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Unfunny Poster posted:

My brother wants to get it and play it. I know next to nothing about how the game works, could you give a synopsis etc. and a recommendation?

Is it like Axis & Allies or Risk or is it distinctly different than that?

It's not, really. Twilight Struggle is a two-player conflict between the US and the Soviet Union, both sides are competing to take over countries by adding political influence to them. Both players draw cards from a single deck that have events from the Cold War on them- Castro's revolution in Cuba, the Cuban Missile Crisis, Chernobyl, etc. Cards are played back and forth either for their event or for generic operations points to place influence or remove your opponent's- but playing an opponent's card for operations still results in the event occurring, so some of the cards in your hand may set you back. TS becomes a game of crisis management- trying to figure out how to discard or defuse the dangerous events you have and maximize your good ones while still fighting your enemy for board position. It's fantastically tense, extremely well-designed, and involves lots of swearing at Latin America. It was famously the #1 rated game on boardgamegeek for a good while, there's a ton of strategy to it.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 14, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

Can't you stay in non-Ember'd-up form to avoid invaders?

Yeah in DS1 and 3 if you're not human/embered you don't get invaded. In DS2 technically you can at any time but the soul level thing meant you were almost never going to until NG+

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

Taking a goon's opinion on any game to heart is generally a bad idea because, whether they love a game or hate a game, they'll still be weirdly obsessive about a bunch of poo poo that doesn't even matter and completely unable to revel in the absurd joy of playing a video game for 8 hours instead of working in a field or coal mine at any other point in human history.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Sakurazuka posted:

The same could be said of any game thing, tbf.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I played a wizard for the first time as a starting class for DS3 and I have the biggest nose.

Big-Nose Grimlock will be my name.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I made a bearded lady

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I gave my Pyromancer really muscular thighs and she's making me feel very inadequate about my own squat volume.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Thankfully nobody will ever see all the dumb ways I've comically leapt to my death in Tomb Raider.

This is everyone tho, not just you.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mass effect 2 replay: it doesn't matter what you're doing or why, all the missions are a tunnel of rooms to walk forward through until you kill the Blue Suns/Yellow Comet/Orange Star boss. i hate minimal effort they put into skills. i hate the ammo system. i don't care about the main plot. "human colonies are being abducted". good. none of the humans are interesting except maybe miranda and i don't know if she counts

but i do love mordin's story and thane is my siha. i think grunt could stand to be more worfish in his otaku knowledge of a culture he wasn't raised in. in the first game garrus had an arc where he learns to let go of revenge. his loyalty mission in this one is a revenge kill.

if mass effect 2 dropped combat altogether and was just walking between different cutscene triggers of cool aliens with cool stories in a bunch of nice flavorful setpieces i think it would be 100x better

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Golden Goat posted:

Also if you're on console prepare for honorbaby invaders yelling at you via messages when you murder them mid-bow.

Because how dare you attack an invader!

What is it with nerds on the internet and bowing

Wasn't that also a big thing with the people that were big on lightsaber dueling in that one Star Wars game?

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 14, 2016

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Golden Goat posted:

Stay far away from the community and you're grand!

UNFORTUNATELY HE ALREDAY SPENT TEN DOLLARS TO BE PART OF THAT COMMUNITY OF SPERGLORDS!!!!!! LMAAAOOOOO!!!!!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Actually it's a bit sad, but whatever, videogames are good, people. Even Dark Souls Borne is good.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I am having fun spinning into dudes as a Mercenary.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

raditts posted:

What is it with nerds on the internet and bowing

Wasn't that also a big thing with the people that were big on lightsaber dueling in that one Star Wars game?

I dunno but I got banned from a ton of servers in Jedi academy for smacking people while they bowed. I also get hate mail for attacking during bows and chugging estus when I invade.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I said come in! posted:

This is everyone tho, not just you.

World-renowned explorer and adventurer Lara Croft, after repelling a legion of immortal undead warriors, loses her footing aAwnd casually ragdolls down a mountainside.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
A Mass Effect-sorta-style thingy where you are Patrick Stewart on The Enterprise and you must make the correct choices given whatever weird and complex situation you find yourself in

Is that glowing moss rock actually a sentient being of sorts?
Has Worf's weeaboo Kilngon warrior poo poo gone too far this time?
Why is Geordi turning into a lizard man?
Do you violate the Prime Directive to blow up that asteroid hurtling towards Middle Ages Planet?

there is no real fighting but you must keep your wits about you in the most thrilling series of placid conference room discussions this galaxy has ever seen

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Finished Paper Mario last night. It was pretty fun overall, although the special bounce attacks basically break the game. The only things I didn't really like about it were that the action timing seemed kind of wonky sometimes (don't know how much of that is due to VC timing inaccuracies) and that most of the music was really, really bad. It sounded like someone using a midi program for the first time and just noodling around. A lot of music in N64 games seem to be that way and I don't understand why after how good the music was in most SNES games.

Anyway, guess it's time to find a copy of The Thousand Year Door, so I can keep pretending I don't have a steam list of games I haven't played yet numbering near the hundreds.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

I gave my Pyromancer really muscular thighs and she's making me feel very inadequate about my own squat volume.

their lack of stamina makes me feel a lot better about my run volume though

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'd rank Dick Squirrels 3 as just slightly below Dragon Age 2 in terms of the button->awesome connection.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

their lack of stamina makes me feel a lot better about my run volume though

Their lung capacity is probably shot after years of huffing fire magic and bonfires. Should have put more souls into VO2 max lmao.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Monkey Fracas posted:

A Mass Effect-sorta-style thingy where you are Patrick Stewart on The Enterprise and you must make the correct choices given whatever weird and complex situation you find yourself in

Do you violate the Prime Directive to blow up that asteroid hurtling towards Middle Ages Planet?

there is no real fighting but you must keep your wits about you in the most thrilling series of placid conference room discussions this galaxy has ever seen

I'd probably love a Star Trek adventure game and I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been done before.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

raditts posted:

Finished Paper Mario last night. It was pretty fun overall, although the special bounce attacks basically break the game. The only things I didn't really like about it were that the action timing seemed kind of wonky sometimes (don't know how much of that is due to VC timing inaccuracies) and that most of the music was really, really bad. It sounded like someone using a midi program for the first time and just noodling around. A lot of music in N64 games seem to be that way and I don't understand why after how good the music was in most SNES games.

Anyway, guess it's time to find a copy of The Thousand Year Door, so I can keep pretending I don't have a steam list of games I haven't played yet numbering near the hundreds.

Thousand year door is fantastic and one of favorite games ever, good luck finding a copy because it's worth playing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'd probably love a Star Trek adventure game and I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been done before.

Yeah that post just made me think of Telltale doing a TNG game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Monkey Fracas posted:

yes.... yes !! mass effect has some stuff like that with its Big Choices but even things like agreeing with mordin about the genophage are interesting scenes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I kinda wish the suicide mission in ME2 wasn't so easy to game because certain scenarios in ME3 are more interesting with some crew people dead. The thing is that to let people die you have to skip missions/upgrades and make deliberately stupid decisions, and who would ever want to do that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

https://www.gog.com/game/star_trek_25th_anniversary
https://www.gog.com/game/star_trek_judgment_rites

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

exquisite tea posted:

I kinda wish the suicide mission in ME2 wasn't so easy to game because certain scenarios in ME3 are more interesting with some crew people dead. The thing is that to let people die you have to skip missions/upgrades and make deliberately stupid decisions, and who would ever want to do that.

The suicide mission is mostly really obvious about who should be doing what. Although I did end up getting Zaeed killed :argh: I needed someone to lead the strike team and apparently the badass mercenary wasn't the right man for the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I had the scientist guy die offscreen or something, because I thought everything went fine until the very end, where they showed me a coffin

• Locked thread