Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Most of the younger male cast are fairly small dudes, Kit Harrington, Jack Gleeson, Alfie Allen dude who played Robb are all pretty small dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

On the Game of Thrones Facebook page, they have a 360 degree video of the show open. Camera's still locked in the same motions as the open, but you can control what area you're looking at, apparently there's a few Easter eggs hidden around the map, but I only found two (point the camera up while flying through the Titans legs and you can see his balls).

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Ahahaha that easter egg suits this series better than almost any could. I wonder if you can see any detailed Harpy genitalia, too.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Lotka Volterra posted:

Never heard a Spanish speaker pronounce it that way
You know, come to think of it, neither have I. Maybe it's an americanization of hi-may? I'm gonna make sure to tell him he's pronouncing his name wrong.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Lotka Volterra posted:

Never heard a Spanish speaker pronounce it that way

Because transliterations of Spanish to English with regular Latin letters is something entirely agreed upon by all English speakers right? Everybody pronounces potato and tomato the same right?

e: I'm saying the guy wrote hi-muh but who the hell knows how this is supposed to be pronounced. Maybe he pronounces his u differently so it sounded right to him. It's dumb to just look at it and say "nope that's the wrong pronunciation" because the transliteration is most likely hosed up.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 14, 2016

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I've heard Hi-Mee and Hi-May, never Hi-Muh. I've never seen anybody get so militant about pronunciations of a foreign-accented version of a fictional character's name written in English from an author who speaks English with the name's pronunciation made by a TV show in English.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Can we get back to talking about the historicity of potatoes and beans as Westerosi agricultural products?

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Or how this season's trailers look really good and action-packed, but we all have that fear that it'll suck?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Boris Galerkin posted:

Because transliterations of Spanish to English with regular Latin letters is something entirely agreed upon by all English speakers right? Everybody pronounces potato and tomato the same right?

e: I'm saying the guy wrote hi-muh but who the hell knows how this is supposed to be pronounced. Maybe he pronounces his u differently so it sounded right to him. It's dumb to just look at it and say "nope that's the wrong pronunciation" because the transliteration is most likely hosed up.

Haha okay.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Hamlet442 posted:

Or how this season's trailers look really good and action-packed, but we all have that fear that it'll suck?

The 6 minutes of trailer is all the action for the season, the rest is Gentry Rowing back and Bran.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hamlet442 posted:

I mean last season wasn't that good so the fears are well founded.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

In making the series suck in the last half they are following the books extremely well.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

The 6 minutes of trailer is all the action for the season, the rest is Gentry Rowing back and Bran.

It'll be Bran watching Gendry rowing using his magic tree vision.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hamlet442 posted:

It'll be Bran watching Gendry rowing using his magic tree vision.

The Weir Wood Web does not exist in the ocean :colbert:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

The singers carved eyes into their heart trees to awaken them, and those are the first eyes a new greenseer learns to use … but in time you will see well beyond the trees themselves.

The Weirwoods are greenseer training wheels.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
The boat is made of weirwood duh

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Mermen have underwater weirwood trees.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I know, I know, oh, oh, oh.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

In It For The Tank posted:

I know, I know, oh, oh, oh.

*eyes across room

Yes, In It For The Tank, go ahead.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Is Hodor coming back? He is the only reason the Bran arc is watchable.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

I'm fine with the gentry but what about the clergy. The public demands more shots of Jonathan Pryce's mud-caked feet with gnarled toenails.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Are there any fan-theories about what the gently caress Hodor means and if we're going to find out?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Hodor is a killing word.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Elephanthead posted:

Is Hodor coming back? He is the only reason the Bran arc is watchable.

He was at the premiere I think so I'm pretty sure he's in

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/game-of-thrones-end-date-season-8-1201752746/

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Ha. They went from "two extra seasons" to "seven less fewer episodes" pretty quickly.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

So they're doing a Breaking Bad.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

If Dany's rear end isn't in Westeros by the end of the first ep of S7...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dany is never going to Westeros. She's gonna rule the east while Jon rules the west. A Song of Ice and Fire. No one said ice and fire had to meet up.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Who was it that popularized short individual seasons? Because I loving hate it. It made sense when LOST did it starting with Season 4 because 15 episodes a year is way more manageable than 24 when you have a serialized story. In fact I believe that 14-16 episode a season is the sweet spot for heavily plot based shows. But these 6-10 episode mini seasons that we are seeing more and more of are just loving retarded and a clear money grab.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 15, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I think it's what happens when you have a massive cast and locations in several countries and still want good production value.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who was it that popularized short individual seasons? Because I loving hate it. It made sense when LOST did it starting with Season 4 because 15 episodes a year is way more manageable than 24 when you have a serialized story. In fact I believe that 14-16 episode a season is the sweet spot for heavily plot based shows. But these 6-10 episode mini seasons that we are seeing more and more of are just loving retarded and a clear money grab.

Wasn't Lost because of the Writers Strike, meaning they had to cut a lot of stuff just for that number?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

bobjr posted:

Wasn't Lost because of the Writers Strike, meaning they had to cut a lot of stuff make up less bullshit as they go just for that number?

You have to actually write a story before you can cut elements out of it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

bobjr posted:

Wasn't Lost because of the Writers Strike, meaning they had to cut a lot of stuff just for that number?

No. After Season 3 the showrunners publicly announced that they would be ending the show after just 48 more episodes. The 48 episodes would be divided into three seasons of 16. Now, things did get a bit hosed up because of the writers strike causing Season 4 to have just 14 episodes. But Season 5 and 6 each added an episode to help compensate for that.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think HBO has always been different (maybe not?) but didn't it used to work by you'd do a pilot, it would get ordered for 13 eps, then you'd get the back 9 and that would be the full 22 ep run. 5 seasons got you syndication and that was the goal of most big shows and that seemed to be standard.

The writers strike seems to be the catalyst for a lot of shows changing to 13 episode seasons and I can't think of any show that doesn't do a 13 ep (or shorter) run now.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Id support a 13-14 episode final season even if it meant having to wait until June for it.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
It's pretty obvious that the trajectory is going to be another season to wrap up a majority of the political storylines and the last season is entirely Dragon and White Walker Smash Smash Smash

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Id support a 13-14 episode final season even if it meant having to wait until June for it.

People love this show much more than they admit.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
The truth is they're barely managing to get the shows finished in time at 10 eps/year, and as the scale of the story keeps increasing, it becomes downright impossible to film everything and finish post without it all looking terrible.
To me, this says the final run of the story is extremely effects/battle heavy, which is why they'd need a year to do 6 episodes instead of 10.

Look at it this way, it'll still be double the length of the LOTR movies, they can absolutely fit the story in that time if they need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Unless this season is a huge bloodbath that kills off a bunch of plotlines I don't see how its reasonably doable. Dany coming to Westeros and conquering Westeros could be a full length season on its own. Then you have to have satisfying endings to a number of other plotlines and oh yeah there's a huge army of the dead bearing south that needs to be dealt with.

• Locked thread