Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Something I've also noticed is that enemies seem to do a lot more damage than in the previous games. Without the ember buff most basic attacks can take a third or half of your health bar away. That being said the game has so far been completely manageable even without shields.

Also the kbm controls are so far the best in the series. The mouse works wonderfully in the menus and makes item management a breeze and you can finally bind all your mouse buttons natively from withing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Ok so...

Now I'm gonna toss my Herald in the garbage and start over because being a melee-range lightning thrower sounds like an insta-deathtrap.

Also as far as I can tell they removed Binocular Spell Sniping from DS3 which makes me not want to play a Mage.....

Bowthief it is.

E: Really feels like they made magic classes a trap this time around unless you want to rely on NPC summons or spend 90% of your time dodging around.

Also whoever was feeling bad about being an idiot on Highlord... dont feel bad. I literally had to go through 16 summons last night to find a host who wasn't a complete retard to get my ember back, and then I actually added people on steam as I summoned them to ask if they knew what the gently caress to do before wasting my humanity on starting the encounter with two people that immediately run straight into the death fog. You'd think that Punch the glowing giant yellow rings like you're sonic the hedgehog would be intuitive but apparently I was wrong.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 14, 2016

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I dunno about GS, but UGS feels just fine.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

kikkelivelho posted:

Something I've also noticed is that enemies seem to do a lot more damage than in the previous games. Without the ember buff most basic attacks can take a third or half of your health bar away. That being said the game has so far been completely manageable even without shields.

I've seen this posted several times but this seems like something that was also pulled from Bloodborne. The first thing you encounter in that game is a giant werewolf that can rip you to shreds, and if you're not paying attention the first guy hiding behind the carriage can take you out in 3-4 hits before you know what happened.

I've just found out that I did the one thing you're NOT supposed to do if you want to be a purple phantom, so now I apparently have to wait until much much later in the game to get a second chance. All I wanted to be was a Mound Maker. :(

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Minrad posted:

I dunno about GS, but UGS feels just fine.

So far the claymore only hits slightly harder than a longsword, weighs more, and is way slower. It's kinda disheartening.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Greatswords are so awful in this game right now. I do like 20% more damage with a greatsword than my straight sword (equally upgraded) which still means 2 or 3 hitting enemies, making it completely rubbish. I used spears for all of my early game because I really like spears, but they got a huge nerf in this game. Instead of stabbing forward, you're first stabbing slightly to the right which means that spears hit walls just as much as slashing swords :eng99: I really want to use and like Arstor's Spear, both because of it's nice healing and because it looks so cool but it's worse than a straight sword in every other way.

I'm not sure if I like or dislike it. I've always been a fan of straight swords (I blame Zelda), and I DS2 they weren't that good unless you were wearing the Stone Ring since they dealt very little poise... but in this game they're so much better than everything else it kinda feels unfair.

I don't like it at all, personally, and I hope weapon balance gets tweaked sooner than later. I don't mind straight swords at all, but I'd like to use something a little more exciting at some point without feeling like I'm struggling against a moveset that isn't right for this game, or just doing so little damage for the amount of time/commitment a swing takes to be worth it.

I'm considering restarting as a pyromancer just so that I at least have more spells available to me to break up the straight sword R1 spam. Maybe make a Fire Longsword early and use the Deep Battle Axe when something resists fire. I do have Fire Orb on my knight that I'm playing right now but I'm so far behind on Attunement, Int, and Faith that pivoting into a true pyromancer build now would be kinda awkward.

At least bows are loving fantastic. I don't know what I'd do without my Longbow.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Ok so...

Now I'm gonna toss my Herald in the garbage and start over because being a melee-range lightning thrower sounds like an insta-deathtrap.

Also as far as I can tell they removed Binocular Spell Sniping from DS3 which makes me not want to play a Mage.....

Bowthief it is.

If it helps, Lightning Spears cast significantly more quickly than they did before, and at high Faith, Sunlight Spear can outright one-shot someone in PvP if you hit with it. They're almost Great Combustion-fast. Not quite, but almost.

And if you do any sort of magic, know that the caps for magic scaling are much higher in DS3 than in previous Souls games. It's more like Bloodborne, where you're not going to really get good mileage out of your spells until you go far above the weapon-scaling cap. Sorceries and miracles soft-cap at 60 Intelligence or Faith (respectively), not 40, and there are several stackable damage-boosting rings for each that are pretty fantastic.

Another note if you want to play a mage is that pyromancy is probably the most straightforwardly powerful one right now. You sincerely cannot go wrong playing a pyromancer. Pyromancy is fantastic in every way, and gets the best weapon infusions down the road, too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kikkelivelho posted:

Also the kbm controls are so far the best in the series. The mouse works wonderfully in the menus and makes item management a breeze and you can finally bind all your mouse buttons natively from withing the game.

Its like bloodborne in that regard, except there's no regain system to make up for it. But in return, enemies are also pretty squishy.

A good example of this is the undead assassin ninja guys in catacombs. Some goon was posting before complaining about how they one-shot him/her. Well, they don't one-hit you, but they do have a combo where if you get caught, you're pretty hosed, because they have SO much insane mobility there's no getting out of the combo and the full combo will finish your entire life bar.

But in return, all it takes is a single combo to kill them from me.

I kinda like that balance, honestly, where everybody is a glass cannon. Makes you really careful. Dark Souls is almost borderline survival horror sometimes.

Cultisto posted:

I've seen this posted several times but this seems like something that was also pulled from Bloodborne. The first thing you encounter in that game is a giant werewolf that can rip you to shreds, and if you're not paying attention the first guy hiding behind the carriage can take you out in 3-4 hits before you know what happened.

I've just found out that I did the one thing you're NOT supposed to do if you want to be a purple phantom, so now I apparently have to wait until much much later in the game to get a second chance. All I wanted to be was a Mound Maker. :(

E:FB :)

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Harrow posted:

If it helps, Lightning Spears cast significantly more quickly than they did before, and at high Faith, Sunlight Spear can outright one-shot someone in PvP if you hit with it. They're almost Great Combustion-fast. Not quite, but almost.

And if you do any sort of magic, know that the caps for magic scaling are much higher in DS3 than in previous Souls games. It's more like Bloodborne, where you're not going to really get good mileage out of your spells until you go far above the weapon-scaling cap. Sorceries and miracles soft-cap at 60 Intelligence or Faith (respectively), not 40, and there are several stackable damage-boosting rings for each that are pretty fantastic.

Another note if you want to play a mage is that pyromancy is probably the most straightforwardly powerful one right now. You sincerely cannot go wrong playing a pyromancer. Pyromancy is fantastic in every way, and gets the best weapon infusions down the road, too.

I've got the spear and yeah, the cast time is pretty quick, but I'm at level 40ish and my faith is at 26 and I may as well not even waste the mana throwing a spear because it does 1/3 the damage of my +4 sword, even with an A-Rank chime.

I get that the magic cap is super high but early on its seems like a huge waste to pump your magic stats and effectively remove yourself from putting points in Vit, End, or Attune just to be able to do some damage with the handful of casts you get before you're oom. Add to that that binocular spellcasting doesn't work so you can't pull poo poo from range without a bow/xbow and need to put points into str/dex to use those..... magic just seems to suck.

Which honestly is fine because it seems like they've had a bad time trying to make it balanced between the first two games.

Also for people concerned about taking a lot of damage early on, just remember that armor is super duper important and damage reduction is actually huge from wearing the heavier armors, even if the poise is rear end. You take a hell of a lot less damage in full plate vs. wearing robes. Armor doesn't, however, seem to make a drat bit of difference if you get caught in grab attacks like mimic bites or bosses with crotch hands.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

I've got the spear and yeah, the cast time is pretty quick, but I'm at level 40ish and my faith is at 26 and I may as well not even waste the mana throwing a spear because it does 1/3 the damage of my +4 sword, even with an A-Rank chime.

I get that the magic cap is super high but early on its seems like a huge waste to pump your magic stats and effectively remove yourself from putting points in Vit, End, or Attune just to be able to do some damage with the handful of casts you get before you're oom. Add to that that binocular spellcasting doesn't work so you can't pull poo poo from range without a bow/xbow and need to put points into str/dex to use those..... magic just seems to suck.

Which honestly is fine because it seems like they've had a bad time trying to make it balanced between the first two games.

In general I kind of agree, except that I wish magic was a little more usable in the early- to mid-game.

Pyromancy is very very strong, though, which leads me to believe it's either heading for a nerf or they'll eventually buff the other magic types to its level. Not too sure which to put my money on yet :v:

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

drat I feel like I've missed so much poo poo my first time through. So many quest lines I didn't find or people I didn't talk to at the right times. Can't wait to finish my first play through and start using the wiki to go through completely

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I've been avoiding this thread like the plague to be 100% spoiler free but just wanted to confirm with everybody about something.

Man isn't the Cathedral of the Deep the best loving level

and man, isn't Farron's Keep the loving worst level

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

The best cut-offs for that are 15/15 then some mix of them that adds to 60 right?

What are you guys stopping at for hp, equip load, and fp? It feels like if I want to use spells at all, I need to level everything but luck.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Wolnir is such a great boss fight, challenging but pretty drat unique and epic.

Lots of bosses in this game giving me serious DeS vibes.

And holy poo poo the next zone is beautiful :stare: Ivory king anybody?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I think right now pyromancy is by far the best spell school. Lots of fast, high damage projectiles that have relatively good range on them. You also don't need that big of a stat investment to make them useful 15 points in both int and faith is enough to do respectable amounts of damage even against bosses. The hex type spells might also be good since they seem to scale with both int and faith just like pyromancies.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

The best cut-offs for that are 15/15 then some mix of them that adds to 60 right?

What are you guys stopping at for hp, equip load, and fp? It feels like if I want to use spells at all, I need to level everything but luck.

I've got Health, Equipload, and FP all at 20 stat wise and I'm leaving them there. With ember it gives me a really huge lifebar and I can wear full forgotten knights without taking it in the rear end on dodge speed.

It feels like they decided that magic was going to follow the Dungeons & Dragons path of "You shall suffer, mageling" for the first 90% of the game and by the point you hit the magical stat caps you're a walking god ten seconds before the final boss just in time to get into NG+.

Maybe they're intending for magic to be The poo poo in NG+ or whatever but the price you pay for that is sucking some huge monster dick through your first rundown.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've been avoiding this thread like the plague to be 100% spoiler free but just wanted to confirm with everybody about something.

Man isn't the Cathedral of the Deep the best loving level

and man, isn't Farron's Keep the loving worst level

C zone rules hardcore, but F zone is also super great so I dunno what you mean about that.

If you're slogging it through the swamp like some other stupid goons, you're going the wrong direction. There's a "grain" to the swamp and if you follow it then you'll explore the whole zone with a mix of dry land and shallow swamp, you never *have* to go through the deep part.

P.S. : If you get a dagger, the sword art can be spammed to pass right through the swamp un-impeded, cheesy as gently caress. I didn't have to use that but if you want...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Digital_Jesus posted:

I've got Health, Equipload, and FP all at 20 stat wise and I'm leaving them there. With ember it gives me a really huge lifebar and I can wear full forgotten knights without taking it in the rear end on dodge speed.

I was thinking that too, which would mean for my battlemage build at minimum I'd put every stat at 20, then raise int or faith higher and ignore luck, which is kind of interesting.

quote:

If you're slogging it through the swamp like some other stupid goons, you're going the wrong direction. There's a "grain" to the swamp and if you follow it then you'll explore the whole zone with a mix of dry land and shallow swamp, you never *have* to go through the deep part.

Just don't get knocked off the bridge. :haw:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

longbow vs crossbow, when which one?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Zaphod42 posted:

Wolnir is such a great boss fight, challenging but pretty drat unique and epic.

Lots of bosses in this game giving me serious DeS vibes.

I like that they mix things up with bosses but I wished for a few more fights like the Old Iron King DLC bosses or the Bloodborne bosses which were based more on going mano e mano and dueling rather than puzzle fights. Four bosses out of seven so far have been more puzzle than straight combat.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I was thinking that too, which would mean for my battlemage build at minimum I'd put every stat at 20, then raise int or faith higher and ignore luck, which is kind of interesting.

Just don't get knocked off the bridge. :haw:

I think I've got STR @ 14 for shield / xbow and my Dex is @ 13 to use a sword.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Depends on if we're talking PvE or PvP.

Apparently 20-25 Vigor is enough for NG PvE, if you're staying Embered. Attunement, I've seen people say go to 24 if you want to be a caster for four slots, mayyybe 14 if you want a utility spell or two, and don't touch it at all if you're not using magic because most weapon arts aren't really worth it. (Not all, but most.) For equip load, just get enough to wear what you want without fatrolling. Keep in mind that Havel's Ring is back if you have a ring slot to spare, and in the late-game, you can use the Prisoner's Chain to get +5 Vigor, Vitality, and Endurance at the cost of taking roughly 6-8% more damage from attacks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Digital_Jesus posted:

I think I've got STR @ 14 for shield / xbow and my Dex is @ 13 to use a sword.

I'm using bigger swords, if I really wanted it'd be like 14/18 for the more dex based GS like Hollowslayer.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

kikkelivelho posted:

I don't think levelling vigor is optional this time round. Shields don't seem very good.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I like that they mix things up with bosses but I wished for a few more fights like the Old Iron King DLC bosses or the Bloodborne bosses which were based more on going mano e mano and dueling rather than puzzle fights. Four bosses out of seven so far have been more puzzle than straight combat.

The only boss I've legit hated so far is crotch tree just because hes annoying to move around, and highlord because of his gimmick makes him hard the first time if you dont get it right away.

Everything else has been pretty straight forward though so I dunno what you mean? Except for those two guys every other boss has been punch face/rear end until dead.

If you're gonna use a shield the only requirement is that you have enough Str to use whatever shield has 100% Physical reduction and literally dont give a poo poo past that. I've not found an elemental resist shield worth equipping yet but that 100% block reduction has saved my rear end many a time.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

double nine posted:

longbow vs crossbow, when which one?

Longbow requires two hands to use, shortbow requires two hands however it fires faster, crossbow can be one handed but reload relatively slowly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah there's been lots of DeS puzzle bosses, although they've been pretty cool and entertaining even when easy.

I'm with you on loving the Fume Knight style duel bosses, but we got Abyss Watchers which was like the perfect combo of everything good between Artorias and Maria. Favorite boss ever!

A Magical Lamp posted:

I don't think levelling vigor is optional this time round. Shields don't seem very good.

You don't need vigor or shields if you git gud :cheeky:

Phantoms have much less HP than players and its still possible to do everything just fine. As with any souls game you can beat it SL1 if you want, just less margin for error. More than shields I think being cautious and baiting out enemies one by one is the real important thing.

There's lots of levels with enemies just close enough where you don't agro them at first but if you try to skip past and fight somebody else, you end up pulling them too and then you're hosed. So better to go slow and kill everybody one at a time, unless you're going to just sprint past everybody to the boss.

I'm finding that most zones are kicking my rear end at first but then once I've made it through them they're not too bad to do again, which is pretty classic Dark Souls. Its just been a year since we had new dark souls levels to kick our asses, playing DS2 or BB over and over just isn't the same experience.

Would be totally lying if I said I didn't call "horseshit" on some of the enemies' combos myself. But its all pretty do-able. Worst case scenario you summon some jolly co-op and wreck everything, but its all solo-able even without a shield if you just time your dodges well and work carefully to engage enemies in small numbers.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 14, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Pontiff Sulyvahn; Best boss in all the Souls games?

I still haven't beaten him but holy poo poo my heart is pounding. This is like Darklurker crossed with Artorias... on steroids. The second phase gimmick is incredible and the way his shadow telegraphs what his main body will do means that you're not getting RNG hosed, it's your own fault if you get hit. Unless he has a phase three which is bullshit, this is probably my favorite fight.

As an addendum to this, one thing that I keep screwing up is how heavily this game queues actions. Was it this long in the previous games?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Captain Oblivious posted:

There isn't. If you defeat Abyss Watchers without ever giving the sorcery vendor any scrolls for new sorceries, he fucks off permanently.

How do I get sorceries then? Or are sorceror builds just on hard mode if they accidently do this(which is super easy to do, it's pretty much the boss right after finding him)?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

C zone rules hardcore, but F zone is also super great so I dunno what you mean about that.

I got lost for like twenty minutes in that place and pelted with plague wolves grrrrrr!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Does the Pontiff bleed? Very important question before I go running at a guy wielding two greatswords with my hunting knife

Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat
Is the req for 1-handing 2h weapons still str x 1.5?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

Everything else has been pretty straight forward though so I dunno what you mean? Except for those two guys every other boss has been punch face/rear end until dead.

Deacon and Crystal Sage were both variations of whack of mole

fun whack a mole, but still.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 14, 2016

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

So has a pvp place been established yet? Like the bridge?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Qvark posted:

Is the req for 1-handing 2h weapons still str x 1.5?

I don't think you phrased that right, but it works like it always did.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

I don't think you phrased that right, but it works like it always did.

No, he phrased it right. Hes asking what the penalty is to to one-hand greatweapons with a shield instead of twohanding them.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

b0red posted:

Probably Undead Settlement, which also has a bridge conveniently located near it. Seems to be the place I've seen the most fight clubs and clusterfucks.

Higher level, my guess would be Anor Londo...?

Banana Cream Pie
Jun 17, 2009

b0red posted:

A lot of people seem to hang out at the central Irithyll bonfire my red soapstones usually get picked up right away

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Is there any point in healing the Dark Sigil? It costs like 100k souls, I already made myself look normal with a Purging Stone and I killed Yuria for being creepy so I'm guessing that locked me out of whatever story path that was taking me down.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Aldrich is a really cool + fun + hard fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I got lost for like twenty minutes in that place and pelted with plague wolves grrrrrr!

I love actually having zones big enough that you can get totally lost and turned around :unsmigghh:

That zone is so loving huge. Its annoying for invading though, you can get summoned in the upper half or the lower half and there's no fog walls at all, the entire zone is fully seamless for invasions, which is cool but also holy poo poo where the hell is the host?

I need to get the spell that lets you track players already.