Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghosts Love Wubs
Oct 9, 2009
To briefly touch back on UC and sanction-chat I am currently dealing with an impending sanction that is now approaching the tribunal stage. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the tribunal and what I could expect from it. Also any advice would be much appreciated.

Edit: Oh erm, 1066 massive wave of immigrants ruin our country or some such toss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fans posted:

So people are free to pile in on any protest they think might get out of hand? As someone who's been to a fair number of protests I'm not exactly keen on that one.

Mob justice is a bit poo poo. Even when they're fascists.

I was making a joke

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'll kick a fist up them.

is this even possible?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

JFairfax posted:

I was making a joke

People in this thread make jokes!!?!??!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fans posted:

People in this thread make jokes!!?!??!

occasionally

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Fans posted:

The knowledge that the Police could taser me if I get out of line is very different to the police tasering me just to make sure I don't get out of line. Ditto Vigilantes.

Right, and someone threatening to blow my head off is different to someone actually doing so (if nothing else, for the capacity to duck) but something more violent existing does not make a violent act non-violent. You would involve the police in both instances, for example.

And we give the state the monopoly on legitimate violence under the assumption they will use it to protect people who need it. If they are failing to do so (for whatever reason, I suspect it's mostly practical reasons) the right of legitimate violence reverts back to us (see self defence).

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

JFairfax posted:

I would punch a fascist

No don't !!!

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Dabir posted:

And if the antifa didn't show up, those poor misguided lads looking for a fight would be led to a much less fair one by the people who do give a poo poo about racial politics, keep up.

Yeah that's probably the case but what I'm saying is not to make the anitfa out to be some sort of noble, defensive force for good as a lot of them are exactly the same and just looking for a scrap.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
But they aren't exactly the same. This isn't hard

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
They aren't nazis though.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
They're both scum, but one kind is nicer to migrant families (maybe???).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

StoneOfShame posted:

Yeah that's probably the case but what I'm saying is not to make the anitfa out to be some sort of noble, defensive force for good as a lot of them are exactly the same and just looking for a scrap.
Thing is, we know exactly what fascists would do if they didn't have antifa to scrap with, they'd go after people who didn't want to be involved, regardless of their ability to defend themselves.

What would antifa do if they didn't have the fash to scrap with? The worst I can think of is that they might throw things at a bank which has been emptied of people in advance and has everything insured, maybe. I've never seen antifa protest in the absence of fascists.

This isn't about some inherent nobility of violence, it's just more preferable than unopposed fascist marches.

In order of idealism to pragmatism, the ideal is not having fascists in the first place, followed by police being an organ of the public good willing to extend themselves massively to cover everyone from the violence that accompanies fascist marches, followed by community watch groups willing to put their life and limb on the line to counter marauding fascists, followed by antifa counter groups, followed by individuals having to defend themselves against unfair odds. It's not near the top of ideal situations, but it's a realistic reaction as long as these marches happen with the wilful aim to cause violence.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Serotonin posted:

But they aren't exactly the same. This isn't hard

I know they are not exactly the same, I know one is preferable to the other as a concept. I'm simply saying that I get the distinct impression that members of the antifa are more interested in having a scrap than they are being ideologically anti-fascist and they have just happened to pick the right side to scrap with, they could have easily picked something else that's what I meant by the same not that those two groups in the absence of who they are currently fighting would pick the same targets to move onto next. Ideally we wouldn't have any young folk feeling the need to go out and kick gently caress out of someone just to give their lives a bit of meaning and belonging but I also acknowledge that isn't going to happen. Also of course we'd rather the antifa groups to 'do better' because they are probably not going to turn on minorities afterwards but that doesn't mean they should be viewed as good or something to be encouraged. Perhaps I should have been more precise.

Edit:^^^ Yeah, I'd largely agree with you there actually, except that of course under the antifa banner they won't be seen in the absence of fash protests but you can bet that they would share people with those who start smashing up buildings on various anti-government demonstrations. I also didn't mean they all view it as a nobility of violence thing but I definitely think there are people in the antifa who view themselves like that.

StoneOfShame fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 14, 2016

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

StoneOfShame posted:

In what way are people who want to murder minorities for existing and the people who want to stop the aforementioned people from murdering minorities "exatly the same"?

Like, have any of you liberals ITT ever stopped and thought to yourself "hey, I'm literally defending nazis here" and maybe rethought your position a bit?

Fans posted:

If this was true they wouldn't even bother with protests.

Because they want to gather a big gang and psyche themselves up so that they'll have an easier time of beating up minorities. And they bother with protests because of the simple fact that if you organize an event with the description "let's all gather and beat some darkies" it might even get shut down by Old Bill beforehand, whereas organizing an event and calling it a political protest does not.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

In what way are people who want to murder minorities for existing and the people who want to stop the aforementioned people from murdering minorities "exatly the same"?

Like, have any of you liberals ITT ever stopped and thought to yourself "hey, I'm literally defending nazis here" and maybe rethought your position a bit?

I've answered the first point above, I've also not defended Nazis more critiqued the behavior of the antifa, I don't think anyone is literally defending Nazis except the odd Nazi poster.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Cerebral Bore posted:

I hate this kind of bullshit. Who is defending Nazis? Some people are criticising some Antifa for using some of the same methods as the fascists.

This is a legitimate criticism

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tigey posted:

I hate this kind of bullshit. Who is defending Nazis? Some people are criticising some Antifa for using some of the same methods as the fascists.

I don't think "beating up fascists" is the method that most fascists use

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Bedshaped posted:

Violence legitimizes them and gives them martyrs.

No, violence delegitimizes them with their potential support. How many non-fash people do you think know or care about fash 'martyrs'? But if they held orderly, peaceful protests, it would be no time at all before they had full Daily Mail backing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I don't think "beating up fascists" is the method that most fascists use

They seem pretty good at getting into fights with themselves if nobody turns up though

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tigey posted:

No, it isn't. You're criticizing antifa for standing up to the nazis. This is literally defending the fash, as you seem to think that they have a right to run roughshod over their percieved enemies, which is the logical endpoint of nobody standing up to them.

StoneOfShame posted:

I've answered the first point above, I've also not defended Nazis more critiqued the behavior of the antifa, I don't think anyone is literally defending Nazis except the odd Nazi poster.

See above. If you're advocating poo poo that directly leads to the nazis being able to march unopposed, you're sure as poo poo defending them.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you are willing to bash the fash and do so you're, by default, supporting anti-fash ideology, whether you like it or not.

There is no political discourse to be had with them. None. Their particular ideology was crushed by an entire world effort and they still haven't got the loving message.

If the Nuremburg trials weren't enough to convince them that their particular ideology is perhaps flawed, and if they didn't quite get the message when one of their idols ended up upside down on a butcher's hook with his cock in his mouth then it's unlikely that sitting down to have a nice cuppa with them is going to change their minds.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

Thing is, we know exactly what fascists would do if they didn't have antifa to scrap with, they'd go after people who didn't want to be involved, regardless of their ability to defend themselves.

What would antifa do if they didn't have the fash to scrap with? The worst I can think of is that they might throw things at a bank which has been emptied of people in advance and has everything insured, maybe. I've never seen antifa protest in the absence of fascists.

This isn't about some inherent nobility of violence, it's just more preferable than unopposed fascist marches.

In order of idealism to pragmatism, the ideal is not having fascists in the first place, followed by police being an organ of the public good willing to extend themselves massively to cover everyone from the violence that accompanies fascist marches, followed by community watch groups willing to put their life and limb on the line to counter marauding fascists, followed by antifa counter groups, followed by individuals having to defend themselves against unfair odds. It's not near the top of ideal situations, but it's a realistic reaction as long as these marches happen with the wilful aim to cause violence.

It's going to be difficult to convince your average white liberal that a bunch of people fighting in the streets is the best solution to a problem.

There must be a non-violent or political move that can achieve the eradication of the fascist movement in Britain. Outright banning like Germany do?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
The best part of Private Eye, the very simplest means to call out bullshit on people.

Even though everyone of us "low-achievers" already knew this loving blatant-rear end fact.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Spangly A posted:

the political mainstream of europe aren't so much consistently ultra-right wing as they are consistently ultra-loving stupid and thus ideas like minimum wage for an economic union just fly them by

I think trying to institute an EU minimum wage right not would not only get the UK laughed at again (though at least from the "oh, they've gone to being idealistic children rather than petty children, isn't that cute" perspective, so it is an improvement), and if it didn't and somehow passed, it would be disastrous.

Mind you, this is in the short term. In the long term, I think it is absolutely the way to go. But by long term, I mean many decades.

The costs of living throughout the EU are way too different for this to work. Poorer countries have no hope of supporting a UK minimum wage. At all. You could argue that multinational companies could afford it, but, in my Eastern-European experience, the multinationals tend to pay way better than local companies. And if they had to give people in Poland the same wage as in the UK, they would not bother being in multiple countries at the same time, which would be quite bad for the countries where foreign investment is a significant percentage of GDP and employment.

Giving people in the UK the same minimum wage as would give you a decent standard of living in Romania would be, well, absurd.

It is what the EU is heading towards, very slowly. But you have to even out the cost of living and living standards first. Which is where things like the infrastructure funds come in. They do good work, but it takes time. And it takes longer if countries like the UK are crybabies about it, as it has been since the 70s.

If there was political will within the wealthy EU countries to speed up the process, it could be sped up, but I don't think a government campaigning on the platform of raising taxes and spending the money outside of your country would be very successful.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bedshaped posted:

There must be a non-violent or political move that can achieve the eradication of the fascist movement in Britain. Outright banning like Germany do?

That's violent (it's just the violence is now state-sponsored) and hasn't worked anyway.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bedshaped posted:

It's going to be difficult to convince your average white liberal that a bunch of people fighting in the streets is the best solution to a problem.

You seem to be big on non-violence. Then let me ask you this: Would you (and your fellow likeminded liberals) be willing to go out and stand square in the way of a nazi march and tell them that what they're doing is unacceptable and that you're there to stop them and stay there blocking their march even when they start grinding your face into the pavement (which they very likely will do)?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Bedshaped posted:

I see you're not familiar with Pegida.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Tigey posted:

You saying it's legitimate criticism does not suddenly make it so, if you feel it is legitimate then perhaps you could make some cogent points to support the view that beating the poo poo out of fash to stop them attacking minority groups is a bad thing.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Just so I'm on the right page here, do people who think looking for fights with fascists also support bombing Syria? Because this thread took a weird turn into "Violence is a workable solution to extremism" all of a sudden.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Oh dear me posted:

No, violence delegitimizes them with their potential support. How many non-fash people do you think know or care about fash 'martyrs'? But if they held orderly, peaceful protests, it would be no time at all before they had full Daily Mail backing.

Out of curiosity, what do the antiantifa people ITT think of the Battle of Cable Street?

You know, when the literal non-neo Nazis had actual Daily Mail backing and were trying to march through a Jewish neighbourhood and got their arses handed to them. I personally am quite proud that that happened, I mean there's a blue plaque and everything for it now, but maybe that's because I'm not a liberal.

Edit: I would also support bombing Syria if that meant 'accurately bombing Isis and only Isis' because gently caress those guys. The problem there that makes it a poor idea in actuality is the collateral damage, not the basic idea.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fans posted:

Just so I'm on the right page here, do people who think looking for fights with fascists also support bombing Syria? Because this thread took a weird turn into "Violence is a workable solution to extremism" all of a sudden.

no the ones who do not want to fight fascists want to bomb syria

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fans posted:

This is really dumb and you know it, because nobody here is saying that you can beat the ideology out of the fash. What we're saying is that when the fash gang up and go out to stomp on some people for existing it's possible to prevent them from doing so.

Or to spell it out for you: Violence is an appropriate reaction to protect yourself or a third party from getting stomped on by a nazi march, because this is a simple problem. Dropping some bombs and calling it a day in the hopes of stopping a huge and extremely complex civil war is not. It shouldn't be hard to see the difference here.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Cerebral Bore posted:

Or to spell it out for you: Violence is an appropriate reaction to protect yourself or a third party from getting stomped on by a nazi march.

And as I've said a few times, I don't mind this. But there's a difference between "I'm going to stop them from stomping on anybody" and "I am here to hit fascists"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fans posted:

I would oppose airstrikes on Manchester or Dover as a way of preventing far-right marches. I would support helping communities in Syria eradicate extremism, even if that means them hitting an extremist around the face with a mattock handle once in a while when they show up to cow them into submission.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Violence is a perfect solution to any problem as long as you can do a through enough job. Which is why it is also important to guard against the possibility. I would very much enjoy the slaughter of Tories and Tory voters. And I imagine in their hearts they think the same about us plebs. Society and laws get in the way of all that good old fashioned natural urge to bash things to a pulp. Peace and the ability to play Dark souls 3 is ultimately a better long term experience. Still gonna dream of burying an axe in the face of anyone right of Marx.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fans posted:

And as I've said a few times, I don't mind this. But there's a different from "I'm going to stop them from stomping on anybody" and "I am here to hit fascists"

Have you ever been to an antifa demo or even asked any antifa people about their motivations? Because at this point it seems that this distinction and the category of people whose motivation is solely "I am here to hit fascists" mostly exists in your head.

EDIT: And even then, stopping the fach from stomping on people often requires that you hit them, as has been explained to you multiple times already.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

feedmegin posted:

Edit: I would also support bombing Syria if that meant 'accurately bombing Isis and only Isis' because gently caress those guys. The problem there that makes it a poor idea in actuality is the collateral damage, not the basic idea.

People join ISIS for non-ideological reasons, you know, like them being the only source of income in areas we've completely obliterated.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Cerebral Bore posted:

Have you ever been to an antifa demo or even asked any antifa people about their motivations? Because at this point it seems that this distinction and the category of people whose motivation is solely "I am here to hit fascists" mostly exists in your head.

Maybe I'm taking people in this thread more seriously than I should be, fair enough.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Cerebral Bore posted:

No, it isn't. You're criticizing antifa for standing up to the nazis. This is literally defending the fash, as you seem to think that they have a right to run roughshod over their percieved enemies, which is the logical endpoint of nobody standing up to them.

See above. If you're advocating poo poo that directly leads to the nazis being able to march unopposed, you're sure as poo poo defending them.

Insisting that violence by non-state sanctioned groups is the 'only' way to oppose fascists is an opinion, and one you are entitled to. Insisting that anyone who questions this is opinion is "literally defending the fash, as you seem to think that they have a right to run roughshod over their percieved enemies,", is a fallacy.

Counter-protests is one method of opposing them, and I highly doubt anyone here disagrees with that.

Engaging in self-defence if the fash attack you or innocent bystanders is another, and again nobody reasonable would disagree that this is legitimate.

Organising and attending counter-protests with the specific aim of engaging in political violence against the fash (to intimidate, discredit, or just release violent urges), is however something very different, and one which has some uncomfortable parallels with the acts of the fascists themselves. Criticising Antifa who act in that manner IS legitimate for that reason, and claiming that such criticism is a literal defence of fascists is wrong.

DesperateDan posted:

You saying it's legitimate criticism does not suddenly make it so, if you feel it is legitimate then perhaps you could make some cogent points to support the view that beating the poo poo out of fash to stop them attacking minority groups is a bad thing.
See above.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

StoneOfShame posted:

I know they are not exactly the same, I know one is preferable to the other as a concept. I'm simply saying that I get the distinct impression that members of the antifa are more interested in having a scrap than they are being ideologically anti-fascist and they have just happened to pick the right side to scrap with, they could have easily picked something else that's what I meant by the same not that those two groups in the absence of who they are currently fighting would pick the same targets to move onto next. Ideally we wouldn't have any young folk feeling the need to go out and kick gently caress out of someone just to give their lives a bit of meaning and belonging but I also acknowledge that isn't going to happen.

Time to introduce a contained area where they can give their lives more meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

feedmegin posted:

Out of curiosity, what do the antiantifa people ITT think of the Battle of Cable Street?

You know, when the literal non-neo Nazis had actual Daily Mail backing and were trying to march through a Jewish neighbourhood and got their arses handed to them. I personally am quite proud that that happened, I mean there's a blue plaque and everything for it now, but maybe that's because I'm not a liberal.

If it wasn't for Cable Street I literally wouldn't be here. My great grandfather met my great grandmother during it. She was a nurse who showed up to make sure the protestors got help if they were injured.

Thankfully nobody needed her services because the fash were quaking in their jackboots after having saucepans chucked at them by old ladies.

• Locked thread