Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

JimboMaloi posted:

heroku or go into the aws ecosystem. elastic beanstalk for your app + RDS for db + apparently you can use SQS with celery.

your stack as specified wont let you benefit from most of azures PaaS features so youd end up mostly using it as an IaaS provider and janitoring the vms yourself.

Looked into doing the raw AWS and its a bit too much to deal with right now. Congratulations tef and mononcqc on the $150/month I'm about to start sending you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

more like dICK posted:

Looked into doing the raw AWS and its a bit too much to deal with right now. Congratulations tef and mononcqc on the $150/month I'm about to start sending you.

if you want a paas for personal stuff or small to med biz use heroku

if anyone reading this is a fortune 1000 cto or other cloud decision maker pm me and I'll tell you about our wonderful enterprise paas product

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

GrumpyDoctor posted:

just hit 100 unit tests on the "get our codebase under any kind of test coverage at all" project

it's probably less than 10% of what we need but it's a round milestone number

:cheers:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

more like dICK posted:

thanks buddy

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'll never tire of seeing that gif pop around :allears:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

i love this gif

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i've never seen this gif but it's very good

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Any given cloud provider looked at Oracle and realized they're missing out on everybody with a couple thousand in their pocket and no dev team

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Shaggar posted:

distributed version control is garbage and you deserve what happened.

he kept everything on his local machine until his project got cancelled and he put in his two weeks notice

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

is this just a reference to cost or am i not getting it?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

akadajet posted:

nah, I made it back when there were rumors of salesforce (who own Heroku) being bought by oracle around mid-2015.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

akadajet posted:

yeah it's from an american television show called 'the simpsons'

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

GrumpyDoctor posted:

just hit 100 unit tests on the "get our codebase under any kind of test coverage at all" project

it's probably less than 10% of what we need but it's a round milestone number

congrats
now if i could just get 1...

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

these are actually pretty cool, but gently caress them sideways if they think I'm going to reimplement a shortest path algo manually, that is literally what libraries are for

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Beast of Bourbon posted:

https://www.codingame.com/start

i'm trying my hand at this but i only know HTML and XML, the 2 programming languages that I've heard of

i finally got to try this out and trying to wrap my head around not only Haskell syntax but also functional programming at the same time is breaking me

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

HoboMan posted:

i finally got to try this out and trying to wrap my head around not only Haskell syntax but also functional programming at the same time is breaking me

to be honest it's better that way. no escape hatch means you'll actually need to employ functional programming, and Haskell is a good language to do just that.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
yeah but he's correct that haskell syntax is Bad

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

JewKiller 3000 posted:

be much better as S-expressions

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i mostly like it

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Starting the process of rewriting one of my least performant Ruby classes in C as an extension. This has resulted in a 40% loss of performance due to the shimming required to make the functions work that haven't yet been rewritten in C.

:negative:

However, one of the bright sides is that since Ruby supports monkey-patching you can move stuff over piecemeal while making sure it doesn't break anything.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 14, 2016

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

JewKiller 3000 posted:

im the +.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

JewKiller 3000 posted:

correct, it got a lot better in Elm and Idris

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

monadic IO is really loving annoying

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like i just wanna get this file into ghci as a string so i can poke at it interactively better but noooooo

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

"i'm sorry you didn't answer in the form of a function call so you get no points"

e: all you functional programming people crying about how you can't use a functional language to get a job makes feel me good about loving hating it

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 14, 2016

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

functional programming ideas are going to continue to sneak into popular langs so you may as well get used to it, terrible programmer

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HoboMan posted:

"i'm sorry you didn't answer in the form of a function call so you get no points"

e: all you functional programming people crying about how you can't use a functional language to get a job makes feel me good about loving hating it

take some time to at least understand the benefits of functional programming and why its advocates are so passionate. i dont do functional languages, obviously, but i try to use a functional style in my code where all data a function needs goes in as parameters and all data that comes out of the function comes out via return value. there's obviously plenty of exceptions where i will use out params or global state but only if i dont think things can be done fairly cleanly as a true function. it helps you stay away from the sort of monstrosities you're apparently working with now, and it's something you might want to consider refactoring towards as you try to fix the codebase youre stuck with.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

although I say a hardy "gently caress You" to Purestrain Functional Programming True Believers

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

i saw some comment on the internet that compared FP zealots to libertarians and not only is that a good comparison i'd bet that most FP zealots are actual libertarians

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
functional languages are good. but so are imperative ones and declarative ones. choose the right tool for the job, imo. java/c# in the streets, racket in the sheets.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i like functions that return functions
JavaScript code:
var makeClickHandler = function (type) {
	return function () {
		alert('you touched ' + type);
	}
}

document.getElementById('bonerButton').addEventListener('click', makeClickHandler('boner'), false);
document.getElementById('boobsButton').addEventListener('click', makeClickHandler('boobs'), false);
document.getElementById('buttButton').addEventListener('click', makeClickHandler('butt'), false);

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I have a job with a functional language AMA

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
same. clojure or racket i forget which (maybe its a common term) has a function called "trampoline" which keeps calling a function until it stops returning a function. idk i find it humorous

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i have a job with a dysfunctional language

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
The last thing I was working on before this was a nio storage backend for a clojure app. Clojure is cool as hell and functional programming is usually OK.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

AWWNAW posted:

i saw some comment on the internet that compared FP zealots to libertarians and not only is that a good comparison i'd bet that most FP zealots are actual libertarians

things that are immutable:
* haskell
* the blockchain

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

HoboMan posted:

HoboMan posted:

i just got hired as a C# dev with zero experience, i have found my new home in this thread

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Today I needed an admin GUI for a config database so I just pointed django at it and had it auto generated :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i mean doing a thing in a pure functional language can be a fun puzzle and can make you feel clever as gently caress, but gently caress ever having to modify it ever

• Locked thread