Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Wait how often are you guys switching weapons to fight dudes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Currently reinstalled DSII so I can git gud.

Any tips, besides try not to die?

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Armor and HP are for bitches. Dodge everything instead. For weapon selection, I prefer something that has a wide swing for crowds and a thrust attack for narrow places. The Grand Lance can be gotten really early in SoTFS and is pretty fantastic. No good wide attack, but the damage is great, the backstabs devastating, and in a pinch you can equip a shield and poke from behind it.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
So bandit, swordsman or sorcerer?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Syrian Lannister posted:

So bandit, swordsman or sorcerer?

If you're trying to git gud, figure out parries, dodges and the like, swordsman, if you're just trying to sight see and blow through some fights, sorcerer. But really your choice at the start really doesn't hold much bearing as you get better weapons, armor and such those will just be what you use and you'll adapt to the tactics that make the best of them.

I started as a swordsman, I just cleared through Pharros and all I use now is the Grand Lance +10, the Dragon slayer's axe, a short bow and a great shield or the end restorative shield if I need mobility. Not a single sword in my regular line up

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 13, 2016

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Have a grass crest shield and a ring of favor. Still no zweihander. There are no masks in this game :(

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
some useful poo poo in this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4VenyalTMA

also :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTnEULvCxno

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

secret 16: :gitgud:

i'm king of the scrublords

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

secret 16: :gitgud:

i'm king of the scrublords

We all are, my brother. We all are

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

holocaust bloopers posted:

Wait how often are you guys switching weapons to fight dudes?

I found it to be pretty straight forward hack and slash up until getting past the catacomb bosses(maybe even up to deacons, depending on your class), then after that you really start to benefit from switching it up for weaknesses.

Holy poo poo, I've never been more frustrated with a boss before; the nameless king :argh: is the most bullshit fight I've encountered so far, constantly changing it up on me.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The first few seconds after passing the fog wall to the Deacons fight were amazing the first time. I'm expecting some huge boss and nope, just a room full of angry hollows slowly looking up in unison. "You came to the wrong neighborhood, motherfucker."

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

The first few seconds after passing the fog wall to the Deacons fight were amazing the first time. I'm expecting some huge boss and nope, just a room full of angry hollows slowly looking up in unison. "You came to the wrong neighborhood, motherfucker."

so is it like the congregation and skeleton lords fights in ds?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i really loved doing archer builds in ds1

ds2 kinda sucked for it

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

so is it like the congregation and skeleton lords fights in ds?

Worse

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

thats good to hear cuz those fights were loving lame

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

thats good to hear cuz those fights were loving lame

I think the only good fight where they threw adds to gently caress with you and make it more tense was the Chariot fight, but even then once you figured out to just bum rush the necros between passes it got made easy fast

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

what level are you mate? :allears:

43. Level doesn't matter that much, but last night I was getting trounced in the place I wasn't supposed to be in, and today I went back and just loving clowned the boss that I should have beaten hours ago (the crystal sage).

Go loving figure, I took a wrong turn into the Catacombs. loving Dark Souls.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Fister Roboto posted:

43. Level doesn't matter that much, but last night I was getting trounced in the place I wasn't supposed to be in, and today I went back and just loving clowned the boss that I should have beaten hours ago (the crystal sage).

Go loving figure, I took a wrong turn into the Catacombs. loving Dark Souls.

Some guy in the OG Dark Souls thread in games from a few years back turned wrong at the very start out of the Asylum. He ended up going through the skeleton rape pools and in through a very convoluted route and just died a lot but ended up getting through to Syf, and then realized he wasn't enountering any of the big's so he then looks it up and takes his character back to the start and wonders why he's one shotting everything he encounters.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
All right so I'm at a point where I need to decide how I ultimately build my character. I'm like roughly 50/50 caster/melee with the way my stats are right now and I'm not really great at anything. I have a soul vessel so I can respec. Since I started sorc I'll still be able to cast a couple spells which are useful for taking out some ranged guys and cheesing some stuff but I'd like to go more melee now. I have the Fire Sword, Drangleic Sword, Grand Lance, Old Knight Halberd, Bastard Sword, and a bunch of random dropped weapons. I've only upgraded my sorcerers staff and Fire Sword once each so I have a decent amount of titanite shards.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

This is gonna be my first dark souls game. I mainly just want to be a dick and invade people.hos exactly does invading work, are there any downsides, and how much do I need t play to get the ability to invade?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mustang posted:

All right so I'm at a point where I need to decide how I ultimately build my character. I'm like roughly 50/50 caster/melee with the way my stats are right now and I'm not really great at anything. I have a soul vessel so I can respec. Since I started sorc I'll still be able to cast a couple spells which are useful for taking out some ranged guys and cheesing some stuff but I'd like to go more melee now. I have the Fire Sword, Drangleic Sword, Grand Lance, Old Knight Halberd, Bastard Sword, and a bunch of random dropped weapons. I've only upgraded my sorcerers staff and Fire Sword once each so I have a decent amount of titanite shards.

If you want to go melee, spears are a great class of weapon to get into, especially on your first playthrough. Halberds are amazing and my favorite class, but they take some practice.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Nice. When Steam goes down for routine maintenance it just boots you out of your game and takes you back to the title menu instead of seamlessly switching to offline mode like the earlier games.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

This is gonna be my first dark souls game. I mainly just want to be a dick and invade people.hos exactly does invading work, are there any downsides, and how much do I need t play to get the ability to invade?

keep in mind this is all based on ds2, not sure whats different in ds3:

to actually invade, theres a couple things you need: a consumable item called a cracked red eye orb, and be in an area that allows for its use. when you use it, it will match make you with another player and youll have 30 minutes to either kill or be killed. if the player youre invading goes into a boss fight youre kicked out tho. if you die, then you drop your souls, but they will be right where you were when you popped the orb, and its also where youll reappear in your world. so long as you dont forget to pick them up theres no actual downside other than earning sin. not sure if thats still a thing in 3, but in 2 it allowed others to invade you if they used a cracked blue eye orb

pretty sure the first red eye orbs you can get are at firelink so you can start invading fairly soon

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Regular red eye orb is back in DS3 with some quest work. You don't have to farm for cracked orbs anymore.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I just found a dog thing made of maggots :stare:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

I just found a dog thing made of maggots :stare:

are they maggots or leeches? cuz those leeches suuuck. i guess equipping a torch gets rid of em

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
turned my lighting down to low to fix the bonfire crash

now it crashes when i respawn

all this after it ran perfectly fine the first day

YOUR COMPUTER DIED

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
gently caress man. That section from the second bonfire in High Wall of Lothric to the room with a few dogs and 4 guys is a serious pain in the rear end.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

are they maggots or leeches? cuz those leeches suuuck. i guess equipping a torch gets rid of em

confirming using a torch works real well

:kingsley:

also had my first human red spirit invasion. he was using estus :stare:

still didnt save his bitch rear end :twisted:

egm watched me put the boots to him

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Irithyll spoilers: I got huge chills down my spine when "Anor Londo" popped up on my screen. I thought it was just an homage up to that point, but holy poo poo this is the real deal.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Tits McGee is long gone

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Aldritch sure is something.

Tits McGee is long gone

She was long gone in DaS1 as well.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Aldritch sure is something.

She was long gone in DaS1 as well.

Yeah I know. As for Aldrich, it's like From saying "Did you like the Lord Soul bosses? How would you like to fight all of them...at the same time?"

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
2nd times a charm

stupid puzzle boss :argh:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah I know. As for Aldrich, it's like From saying "Did you like the Lord Soul bosses? How would you like to fight all of them...at the same time?"

I have a theory that he's actually the Chosen Undead, and that's just what happens when you use all those boss souls to make sweet weapons.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
o yea, forgot to post a couple tips:

allegedly, pvp matching is based on how upgraded your weapon is, so keep that in mind

also if youre having trouble in the muck in the swamp or the giant poo poo in the cathedral, equip a dagger and use its quickstep skill. even after you burn through your focus pool, you can still use it

and the last thing, i guess theres hidden meter that fills when enemies are killed, and once it tops out, you get an estus use

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

and the last thing, i guess theres hidden meter that fills when enemies are killed, and once it tops out, you get an estus use

yea ok this has to be for real because last night i'd be getting an estus at what appeared to be tied to killing fools

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Irithyll spoilers: I got huge chills down my spine when "Anor Londo" popped up on my screen. I thought it was just an homage up to that point, but holy poo poo this is the real deal.

Did you grab an aldrich covenant right before that run? It's honestly the best :feelsgood: tool; frustrated as gently caress because :darksouls:? Better throw that garb on and protect your land from take it out on invaders!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Fister Roboto posted:

I have a theory that he's actually the Chosen Undead, and that's just what happens when you use all those boss souls to make sweet weapons.

My theory was Chosen Undead was the Pursuer, mostly due to the crow transport and him getting mad that the Bearer keeps steppin on his fuckin dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I've only beaten 3 bosses (must explore and play jolly cooperation!) so I think I'm going to re-roll my character tonight. I don't like the way he looks so fashion souls is a disaster and I'd like to re-start as knight so I can get that longsword.

• Locked thread