Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On the bright side of this "straight swords are king" meta, I just remembered that I have the Gotthard Twinswords to look forward to eventually. Those things look rad as gently caress, like a straight sword Rakuyo, and I'm entirely in favor of that kind of fun.

Einwand posted:

Enemies in that zone tend to drop titanite shards fairly often, but there's a big huge tower near the end of the poison swamp with a ladder leading up the side, you can get the ashes up there, as well as a bonfire.

All right, I'll see if I can go find that. The swamp area wasn't as bad as I was expecting so I can probably power through it to get the ashes before I go back to Cathedral of the Deep. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Harrow posted:

On the bright side of this "straight swords are king" meta, I just remembered that I have the Gotthard Twinswords to look forward to eventually. Those things look rad as gently caress, like a straight sword Rakuyo, and I'm entirely in favor of that kind of fun.

I would kill for twin rapiers so I can do my DSII build again

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Regy Rusty posted:

You need to cross the roof but there's a shortcut ladder very close by so you don't need to go through the graveyard again. This place is filled with shortcuts that keep leading you back to the chapel bonfire so just keep pressing on.

I'll keep an eye out. I kept dying last night because I was running out of estus, but I've since found like three more shards this morning so I might be more equipped to tough it out.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Weird I have bluecopped like ten times now. Sometimes I get bluecopped into zones I am not even in.

Last night I was blue and got summoned into an invasion with a guy and a sunbro buddy. Me and sunbro stood on both ends of a hallway with tower shields up and forced the invader into a single room for the host to fight him in. It owned.

How the hell. What's your level, and the level of your highest weapon?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

MrLonghair posted:

How the hell. What's your level, and the level of your highest weapon?

40 +6 just beat Woljnir

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im guessing that invading and sunbros will probably be a thing for a while no matter what, even if the bluecops arent right? i dont know how long this stuff usually lasts

I helped people kill the tree boss last night and id get summoned almost immediately after I put my symbol down

ufarn
May 30, 2009

kanonvandekempen posted:

What's the threads opinion about summoning etiquette? If I put my summoning sign right in front of a boss room, I find it pretty annoying if someone wants me to run through the entire preceding level with them. I've done that, but I put the summoning sign at a bonfire if that's what I want to do. I had 3 people summon me in front of the boss in the undead village, and then promptly go back to the village and wait for me to help them kill mobs. I got tired of it after the third (they all died before I got anything out of it), so now I just leave when they don't go to the boss.
I just went through the Road with a guy who dispelled me at the boss door.

Fucker.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Eonwe posted:

im guessing that invading and sunbros will probably be a thing for a while no matter what, even if the bluecops arent right? i dont know how long this stuff usually lasts

I helped people kill the tree boss last night and id get summoned almost immediately after I put my symbol down

I never managed to bluecop even once in DSII

The easy changing of covenants is doing wonders for bluecopping

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Eonwe posted:

Yeah it should last a bit

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

TheQat posted:

Yeah it should last a bit

its also a good idea to get any pvp covenant rewards this week

its always a lot easier when there are a billion people and many of them newbies

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kanonvandekempen posted:

What's the threads opinion about summoning etiquette? If I put my summoning sign right in front of a boss room, I find it pretty annoying if someone wants me to run through the entire preceding level with them. I've done that, but I put the summoning sign at a bonfire if that's what I want to do. I had 3 people summon me in front of the boss in the undead village, and then promptly go back to the village and wait for me to help them kill mobs. I got tired of it after the third (they all died before I got anything out of it), so now I just leave when they don't go to the boss.

Summon sign at bonfire for general co-op, summon sign at boss for boss fight. Screw those guys, if they summon you in front of the boss wall and run back to the level, I use black soapstone to deuce right on out of there. I ain't got time for that.

I'm happy to do a full level co-op some times, but if I want to fight a boss, I want to fight a boss. :colbert:

Don't sweat it, they can always summon somebody else at no cost.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I got paid so I'm planning on picking up DS3 soon. Has there been any patches for the recent crash bugs people were talking about in the thread? Also I was looking over the weapons list, am I right in that there don't seem to be any Twinblade type weapons this time around? I really liked them in DS2 :(

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GreyPowerVan posted:

ah yes, why didn't this completely new player think to just PARRY the giant fast swinging dude.

get good

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUK/status/720537415836901376
https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUK/status/720537745660211200

You can also get it as a poster but only from the UK store I think and it's way overpriced.
https://shop.spreadshirt.net/1049108/-LT448029

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shoehead posted:

So I'm stuck atm. After the crucifixion area there's the graveyard leading up to the side of a cathedral. Is there another bonfire after the chapel or am I stuck fighting up this roof?

I keep getting my poo poo pushed in up there.

Look around and be observant, there's lots of places you can jump down in that area to skip the early parts of the graveyard. You can get to the rooftop in about 10 seconds and skip fighting any enemies if you take the right path.

Pyrolocutus posted:

I got paid so I'm planning on picking up DS3 soon. Has there been any patches for the recent crash bugs people were talking about in the thread? Also I was looking over the weapons list, am I right in that there don't seem to be any Twinblade type weapons this time around? I really liked them in DS2 :(

There hasn't been any patches but if you have a computer from 4 years ago set lighting to "low" and accept that your computer isn't the best.

Check it every time you turn it on, sometimes it resets to 'medium' and you have to turn it back down again. Should be fine if you do that.

But you may not even have problems if you have a graphics card from the last year or two.

No twinblades, sorry chief. Lots of other cool new weapons though.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
So I am in the third area and while I first thought the lack of music/ambiente melodies was bad I now feel it really adds immersion that you dont have any music except for some areas.

Another question: Smashing wooden stuff is really useless, isnt it? I destroyed tons of boxes and barrels and there is never loot?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I was just remembering how a lot of fans complained DSII had too many callbacks to DS1

Boy they must be having a field day with this game

Mr.PayDay posted:

Another question: Smashing wooden stuff is really useless, isnt it? I destroyed tons of boxes and barrels and there is never loot?

1/1000 times there will be and it will be totally worth it

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I never managed to bluecop even once in DSII

The easy changing of covenants is doing wonders for bluecopping

It's easier doing every kind of multiplayer, honestly. They actually handled a lot of the covenants in neat ways. I've yet to be called in to bluecop, but even so, I can see some subset of people going Way of the Blue when they are embered up so that even if they aren't interested in co-oping and just want a spot of extra health, you still have insurance against invasions.

I didn't realize the bottom area of Road of sacrifices, the swamp/crab area was the cat/belltower covenant equivalent while milling through it the first time. I just killed the crazy hat invasion npc and suddenly get invaded for real. I kill her after a lengthy pitched battle that drained all my estus and as she's dying, I'm invaded again. I decide to book it to see if I can find another bonfire before I die. The invader contents himself to just hide and wait for me to die in my panicked state. Before I wander into a building to get ganged up on by enemies I get invaded by a second person, which is when I finally put 2 and 2 together and realize what's up.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
the "ds1 references" (i'm not sure they deserve to be called that, it's more that the game simply takes place in some of the same areas) are great, it's like a fever dream of the world you already know

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was just remembering how a lot of fans complained DSII had too many callbacks to DS1

Boy they must be having a field day with this game
I have a friend who lost his poo poo and ragequit because he met a Silver Knight and woah boy I can't wait until he gets to the Boreal Valley

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eonwe posted:

I've been wearing Way of Blue while working through levels just for fun and every time I've been invaded a bluecop has shown up, so that's nice. Not sure how many other people are doing the same. Mostly I'm wearing Way of Blue because I want Blue Sentinels to have something to do. I switch to Sunbro or Blue Sentinel myself every once in a while, but I haven't been summoned as a bluecop myself yet.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

/dumps soup on you
Well, what do you think?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Mr.PayDay posted:

The vast majority of the time, if there's something in, or behind destructible debris, there will be really obvious like a white glow effect, or a orange sign saying "treasure ahead" or some such.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

TheQat posted:

the "ds1 references" (i'm not sure they deserve to be called that, it's more that the game simply takes place in some of the same areas) are great, it's like a fever dream of the world you already know

It is interesting right now I am trying to decide if DSIII takes place between 1 and 2 or not

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Mr.PayDay posted:

Another question: Smashing wooden stuff is really useless, isnt it?
If you don't play the game in order to break boxes/jars/barrels I don't know what to tell you.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Harrow posted:

I've been wearing Way of Blue while working through levels just for fun and every time I've been invaded a bluecop has shown up, so that's nice. Not sure how many other people are doing the same. Mostly I'm wearing Way of Blue because I want Blue Sentinels to have something to do. I switch to Sunbro or Blue Sentinel myself every once in a while, but I haven't been summoned as a bluecop myself yet.

Right now I'm bluecop if I'm not embered and just milling about doing stuff solo. I switch to sunbro when I want to coop, and bluebabby if I'm embered up.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It is interesting right now I am trying to decide if DSIII takes place between 1 and 2 or not

I don't think so, there's specific direct references to Lucatel of Mirrah and Creighton in DS3 among others.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There are enough references to events that happened in DS2 that I think it would have to take place after. Especially given that one of the endings seems to actually be a definitive end to the Cycle of Flame this time, and not just an "I'm not doing this poo poo" ending.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

I don't think so, there's specific direct references to Lucatel of Mirrah and Creighton in DS3 among others.

You also find the ladder guy from DS2 dead next to a bonfire.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

There's a armor set that specifically mentions the major event that happened in Drangleic, and that it was a very long time ago.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Harrow posted:

There are enough references to events that happened in DS2 that I think it would have to take place after. Especially given that one of the endings seems to actually be a definitive end to the Cycle of Flame this time, and not just an "I'm not doing this poo poo" ending.

Yeah, its just weird how DSII makes it sound like DS1 was so long ago that the names of the kingdoms and poo poo are lost of time and then in DSIII even ancillary stuff like Catarina is back

Although, it is also interesting if it implies the cycle is so strong that exact copies of kingdoms will rise again

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I like how FROM managed to both keep the weird two-handed greatsword animations from DS2 and improve on them. The Hollowslayer Greatsword's a good sword :unsmith:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is there a DS3 equivalent to this map yet?

I want to know if I'm missing sideways in the areas I've passed since so far everything has been pretty linear.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lovely Senorita posted:

I like how FROM managed to both keep the weird two-handed greatsword animations from DS2 and improve on them. The Hollowslayer Greatsword's a good sword :unsmith:

you can always tell Miyazaki is a huge Bezerk fanboy because every game the most variety and focus is always on greatswords

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

PvP sucks real bad compared to 2.

Way less build variety.

Everything thats not a straightsword is hella underpowered.

Status effects are worthless.

Hitboxes are the worst of both, its really easy to get stunlocked by successive hits but super difficult to connect hits with runners.

There are too many i-frames on rolls.

No arena.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Lovely Senorita posted:

Speaking of greatswords, I just got the Farron Greatsword and holy poo poo, that moveset is bonkers. I love it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

double nine posted:

Is there a DS3 equivalent to this map yet?

I want to know if I'm missing sideways in the areas I've passed since so far everything has been pretty linear.

Yeah I was asking about this earlier and managed to find it:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, its just weird how DSII makes it sound like DS1 was so long ago that the names of the kingdoms and poo poo are lost of time and then in DSIII even ancillary stuff like Catarina is back

Although, it is also interesting if it implies the cycle is so strong that exact copies of kingdoms will rise again
uh... time and space is distorted here

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ufarn posted:

So is it okay if I choose "No Promise" for sorceror guy, or will he disappear immediately after? I read he gets rather cross if he doesn't get his scrolls on time.

There's also some Yulia drama with him, if I had her at this time, apparently.

There's two scrolls in the poison swamp area, you can find them before beating any bosses.

If you want better spoilers that don't involve trudging aimlessly through the deep water for however long:

Start at the bonfire before the big doors for both. For one head down the ramp into the water and turn left. If you go...somewhere (I kinda got lost) you'll find some of the locals chilling out by the corpses of some mushroom dudes. There's also a crab nearby you can kill for a ring that makes spell effects last longer...or run away in panic because it's a giant crab in swamp water. Some nice loot by his area if you can kill him.

For the second start at the same bonfire, go down the same ramp, turn right and follow the wall. You'll find an area with a handful of basilisks. Past them is a cave with a second scroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

uh... time and space is distorted here

I always assumed the distortion was within a single flame cycle, not all cycles