Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Does anybody know a good modpack for someone who just wants to creative mode play with a bunch of ersatz legos? I've been playing Blightfall and having a blast, and I got Baby's First Space Race because all this technical stuff I need to finish Blightfall goes over my head sometimes, but I wouldn't mind a pack that lets me not arse with fifty billion complicated machines that require me to know the intricacies of binary or whatever to actually get them to work, and just lets me build pretty pretty houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Use any sort of modpack you like that has good creative options (Chisel being a good centerpiece) and set yourself to Cheat Mode using NEI
- Open inventory
- click the button in the bottom left corner of the screen
- switch from Global to World
- hit Items (IIRC) button to open a submenu
- Switch from Recipe mode to Cheat mode by hitting the button labelled Recipe a couple times
- Close out of NEI back into your inventory screen
- Now the menu to the right side showing all available blocks will provide you with copies based on the number at the bottom (0 meaning a full stack). You can filter this menu by typing in the input box in the bottom center of the screen

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Sounds rad, thanks. I need a break from failing to figure out how part A fits into part B and works to filter into part C.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Also, retrievers let you set up rudimentary sorting systems pretty easily. You run a pipe along some chests, and put down retrievers filtered for a few items at each stop. As a bonus, stuff that would go unsorted never leaves the input chest, so it's easy to tell what you're missing in your setup.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
One guy, it sounds like you just want a filter not a retriever.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So you didn't have enough space to use servos on multiple sides of an input chest?
You can design systems that don't need retrievers and use servos instead, and servos are certainly more of a go-to craft, but you can alternatively use retrievers.

I don't remember when I last used a retriever but it's probably because enderio's itemducts are my go-to for crafting subsystems. They're definitely useful in situations where a single servo isn't good enough. I might have used retrievers to automate a series of presses for ae2 cpu crafting, but you can certainly do that without them as well. And much more efficiently with eio over te.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 14, 2016

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Dragomorph posted:

Does anybody know a good modpack for someone who just wants to creative mode play with a bunch of ersatz legos? I've been playing Blightfall and having a blast, and I got Baby's First Space Race because all this technical stuff I need to finish Blightfall goes over my head sometimes, but I wouldn't mind a pack that lets me not arse with fifty billion complicated machines that require me to know the intricacies of binary or whatever to actually get them to work, and just lets me build pretty pretty houses.

I basically treat most modpacks as creative mode using the /give command to skip over the tedious stuff. I find it far more fun to design elaborate systems and production chains than sieve dirt or wait for trees to grow. One thing I would highly recommend even as a relative beginner is to learn how the Applied Energetics mod works before anything else because it's a lovely quality of life improvement to the basic minecraft interface. The basic idea behind it is that it's a computer system which allows you to store stuff "digitally". This functionally acts as one giant chest you can shove anything into and with a little more set-up you can also set up crafting recipes. Having a consolidated inventory is a loving godsend with the billions of items each mod adds, and an autocrafting set-up essentially replicates the utility of this website in that it will craft anything you want and also tell you which pieces are missing. Any time I start a new modpack I cheat my way to get an ME network set up with a multi-block crafting CPU because gently caress doing it any other way.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've looked over all these responses to my questions about retrievers. I had this voice in my head nagging me about using retrievers in those situations. My issue is that it uses an eye of ender to make two of them. That's pretty serious business early on in things. So I wanted a very clear cut context for using that over a servo/filter combination.

What makes me embarrassed is some pages ago, I think somebody did lay out a very clever use for one. I think it came up when I was working on the TNT autocrafting setup. I can't remember the details about it. I think it came up when it came to balancing gunpowder and sand going into autocrafting. However, I lucked out with the cyclic assembler because I only needed two ingredients, and I was able to split its internal inventory between the gunpowder and sand.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've looked over all these responses to my questions about retrievers. I had this voice in my head nagging me about using retrievers in those situations. My issue is that it uses an eye of ender to make two of them. That's pretty serious business early on in things. So I wanted a very clear cut context for using that over a servo/filter combination.

What makes me embarrassed is some pages ago, I think somebody did lay out a very clever use for one. I think it came up when I was working on the TNT autocrafting setup. I can't remember the details about it. I think it came up when it came to balancing gunpowder and sand going into autocrafting. However, I lucked out with the cyclic assembler because I only needed two ingredients, and I was able to split its internal inventory between the gunpowder and sand.

Yes, Retrievers are great for keeping X quantity of items in the destination chest (e.g. 20 Sand and 25 Gunpowder) without filling an inventory as much as you can (which a Servo/Filter combination will do). Great for keeping specific seeds in MFR Planters as well if you don't want to do the pre-fill with one 64x stack of each seed you want and then fill the remaining slots with filler (e.g. Dirt).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You don't have to get a full stack as there's a handy button to toggle whether the machine will use all the seeds.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

you can also fill the rest of the slots with cobblestone which will block them from filling with seeds/saplings/whatever

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Dragomorph posted:

I would actually recommend ferret business for this. It has a heap of quests, but it sets out the decorative stuff pretty nicely too. I know i learnt a fair bit from it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I guess I have about 24 quests left to write in for BFSR. I was further along in some ways, but behind in others. I could use some help in some topics:

1. Has anybody done the astro miner? What's the progression to that?
2. How do you people creating whither farms summon it blast-free? If mob griefing is off, it's not a big deal, but a blast otherwise looks like it will knock out autonomous activators if I use them to place the skulls.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

2. How do you people creating whither farms summon it blast-free? If mob griefing is off, it's not a big deal, but a blast otherwise looks like it will knock out autonomous activators if I use them to place the skulls.

I haven't done it myself, but I came up with two ideas:

1) Turtles from ComputerCraft, or robots from OpenComputers. Move in, place the wither skulls, move out to safe range while the wither is still forming.

2) Golems from ThaumCraft. Same general principle, but you're more likely to lose the golem if their pathing goes wrong. Might have to have multiple golems involved: for example, one builds the base, then another one places two skulls on it, then once the skulls are in place, a redstone signal turns off the golem fetter restraining the third golem (and turns ON a fetter restraining the first two golems so they can't go back in). The third golem places the final skull, which then turns on the golem fetter back at HIS "home" spot.

If you've included ComputerCraft or OpenComputers, the first solution should work best, as turtles or robots are more reliable than golems.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I guess I have about 24 quests left to write in for BFSR. I was further along in some ways, but behind in others. I could use some help in some topics:

I made the manual one near spawn on the server, if a server has stuff like Towny to prevent damage inside the town then you just build as the explosion can't damage the activators

I think there is a block in Botania that allows you to move blocks like teleporting.

Lexica Botania posted:

Spectranthemum
Transporting items a long distance can be an arduous task. Water channels and Daffomills won't cut it forever. The Spectranthemum, at the cost of Mana wraps the fabric of reality of any dropped items that do not contain Mana around it, teleporting them somewhere else in the world. After teleported once, another of these flowers can't be used on the same item.
In order to specify where the items go, one would use a Wand of the Forest in bind mode and bind the flower to a block somewhere, similarly to binding it to a pool. This only works within 12 blocks. In order to view what block the flower is bound to rather than the pool it's pulling Mana, one would sneak while looking at it with a wand.
This flower is governed by the axiom of chunkloading, by which it'll not function on chunks not loaded. This topic is not addressed in full extent this lexicon.
Recommended Reading: "Chunks and Chicken", "Anchors of the World".

Maybe not that but there is stuff that can move a placed block elsewhere so you teleport the soulsand and wither skulls to location inside the wither proof block

Khorne
May 1, 2002
The best way to farm withers isn't to farm withers at all. It's to load up an ME drive full of nether stars (start small with a few), let a zombie pick it up, mfr spawn that zombie as an exact copy, and then use an enchant from one of the magic mods that has monsters dropping what they're holding, and then dupe the poo poo out of nether stars. Or anything you want, because you can just outright dupe the ME drive over and over. Not fixed in any modpack, likely works with more than just ME drives. Normally MFR exact copies won't drop what they're holding, but the enchant ignores that. It's also on hit not on death.

It's not even really an exploit. It is just how that works. It takes lots of infrastructure and deep progression into a magic mod to pull off, too. Automating all of that takes a certain amount of creativity as well, and I'm not entirely sure anyone has posted a video/pictures/a guide for automating all of the steps yet.

As far as automated wither farms, there should be a ton of videos, reddit posts, and imgur albums because people really love doing it. I've never understood why. There are a few tricks you can use, some more effective than others.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 15, 2016

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I saw a video tutorial (why are all of these long-winded video tutorials set to annoying EDM background music) where the guy placed a translocation plate at the bottom of the 3x3 area the Wither spawns in. It appears that the plate instantly moves it when it spawns, and you can build a wither-proof box there along with some sort of mob grinder to kill it.

Not sure if there's something like the Draconic Evolution mob grinder in the modpack that would work for the killing part, but here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEptASR7rqQ

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ok The mod pack im playing, The FTB Infinity skyblock.

I now have need of plutonium, and have no idea how to get it.

For those playing I am trying to make the wrench for the AE2 energy acceptor.

What is the setup for getting plutonium?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Welp I ran into another problem with RWG in NH. Deserts aren't hot. They're warm. This means if a bee requires a hot biome and loses its temperature tolerance you'll have to go to the nether. Man, I really truly regret generating my world via RWG. I'm considering cheating some storage cells in and packing up my entire base so I can regenerate my world with less lovely worldgen. Or maybe I can just... delete all the chunks outside my base? I don't know how to tell my world to switch worldgen mods though. Importing chunks feels more likely to work.

...eh, screw it, I'll just cheat in an industrial apiary and a creative capacitor or something.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 15, 2016

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

In regrowth I made a wither-proof room using Thaumcraft's warding focus. The warded blocks don't get destroyed by the wither. Maybe you can ward the AA?

Kaine
Dec 29, 2005

VegasShirtGuy posted:

In regrowth I made a wither-proof room using Thaumcraft's warding focus. The warded blocks don't get destroyed by the wither. Maybe you can ward the AA?

From memory you can't ward any tile entities, so anything that has an inventory like chests, furnaces, Autonomous Activators.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Meskhenet posted:

Ok The mod pack im playing, The FTB Infinity skyblock.

I now have need of plutonium, and have no idea how to get it.

For those playing I am trying to make the wrench for the AE2 energy acceptor.

What is the setup for getting plutonium?
You have to make an IC2 nuclear reactor and put fuel rods in (with proper coolant and setup). When they are spent, you can macerate them to get some of your uranium back and a tiny bit of plutonium. Each rod give 1 nugget, and you need 6 plutonium per iridium. So basically just make a little and use the replicator to dupe it, because gently caress waiting on that awful reactor.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Whenever I see twitch streamers do it, they build the Wither at the top of a big hollow blastproof tower, and it falls slowly as it counts down to becoming alive / blowing up. So it blows up down at the bottom in the blastproof room.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

I made the manual one near spawn on the server, if a server has stuff like Towny to prevent damage inside the town then you just build as the explosion can't damage the activators

I think there is a block in Botania that allows you to move blocks like teleporting.

Maybe not that but there is stuff that can move a placed block elsewhere so you teleport the soulsand and wither skulls to location inside the wither proof block
That explains why I couldn't figure out that room. I was wondering how the wither components get teleported in. I guess they don't!

But please, tell me more about teleporting those blocks. I do not know of any machines or toys that can place blocks beyond adjacent.

I do not have Botania nor magic mods in the pack, so I do not have any of those tricks.

It sounds like this is not so clear cut. I will just go through the semi-automatic process in BFSR for now and skip automating it completely. I have enough stupid, crazy quests to write before going into that kind of thing.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That explains why I couldn't figure out that room. I was wondering how the wither components get teleported in. I guess they don't!

But please, tell me more about teleporting those blocks. I do not know of any machines or toys that can place blocks beyond adjacent.

I do not have Botania nor magic mods in the pack, so I do not have any of those tricks.

It sounds like this is not so clear cut. I will just go through the semi-automatic process in BFSR for now and skip automating it completely. I have enough stupid, crazy quests to write before going into that kind of thing.

someone linked a video using the thermal expansion translation plane you TP the newly created Wither down into a wither proof box before it explodes.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ok, IC2 is garbage. Even after cheating in everything it was still a let down.

So im after a new pack i guess.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I've been playing some of Infinity Evolved: Skyblock, and have a couple of issues.

Why are hobbyist steam engines such garbage? They don't output all the RF they're making or even try to until they've been running for like five minutes, and only an external source of steam gets them up to a full 20 rf/t. The best I can get by just feeding them coal/coal coke is 16 rf/t. And I'm not setting up a Railcraft steam boiler just for these things, I'd rather throw them into the void. (Thankfully, I've finally progressed far enough that I can set up a whole mess of IE waterwheels instead for some reliable power.)

How the hell do I make the BC Lasers (for the Assembly table) WORK using an Immersive Engineering Capacitor for energy storage? If I hook them straight up to the engines, they work fine but won't draw power from the capacitor instead. From what I've seen digging into recipes I'm going to need this POS for a lot of machines and I'd rather be able to use proper energy storage.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
BC takes RF power directly, unlike IC2, so just run some basic fluxducts behind the lasers, which themselves should be able to draw from capacitors. If not, a cable will be able to connect them, for sure.
If you can afford capacitors and the like you should be able to afford the ducts.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Serifina posted:

I've been playing some of Infinity Evolved: Skyblock, and have a couple of issues.

Why are hobbyist steam engines such garbage? They don't output all the RF they're making or even try to until they've been running for like five minutes, and only an external source of steam gets them up to a full 20 rf/t. The best I can get by just feeding them coal/coal coke is 16 rf/t. And I'm not setting up a Railcraft steam boiler just for these things, I'd rather throw them into the void. (Thankfully, I've finally progressed far enough that I can set up a whole mess of IE waterwheels instead for some reliable power.)

How the hell do I make the BC Lasers (for the Assembly table) WORK using an Immersive Engineering Capacitor for energy storage? If I hook them straight up to the engines, they work fine but won't draw power from the capacitor instead. From what I've seen digging into recipes I'm going to need this POS for a lot of machines and I'd rather be able to use proper energy storage.

Yeah, I only used the hobbyist steam engine for as long as it took to grunt out some waterwheels, then hucked the steam engine over the side of my platform.

The IE capacitors only accept and deliver power on a specific side. You can configure this by right clicking with the IE hammer on any given side. Blue dot input, orange dot output.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Serifina posted:

I went the culinary generator route and a single 9x9 farm of eggplant and garlic lasted me until i started with the tier 2 generators (then i just built a 2nd farm on top of the first and now im in excess again).

I dont have any energy storage (except some crappy ic2 thing) and have found that a single tier 2 cul generator with garlic eggplant can support 8 BC lasers (its a slight loss). My setup before i gave up i had 2 rows of 8 lasers with 3 tier 2 generators that ensured max power output.

(i think i have about 6 or 7 tier generators and maybe 4 or 5 tier ones still floating about and 3 of the 2's are just for the lasers)
If the generator isnt needed it will store 800k rf (i think)

(resonanate servo on the cyclic assembler ensured all my generators were constantly stacked with items.

Oh i was also using the itemduct with redstone in it, so 2000 RF transfer (which is better than tier 2 fluxduct at 800)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Glory of Arioch posted:

Yeah, I only used the hobbyist steam engine for as long as it took to grunt out some waterwheels, then hucked the steam engine over the side of my platform.

The IE capacitors only accept and deliver power on a specific side. You can configure this by right clicking with the IE hammer on any given side. Blue dot input, orange dot output.

Vib Rib posted:

BC takes RF power directly, unlike IC2, so just run some basic fluxducts behind the lasers, which themselves should be able to draw from capacitors. If not, a cable will be able to connect them, for sure.
If you can afford capacitors and the like you should be able to afford the ducts.

I've just made eight sets of the iron shafts so I can make waterwheels. Believe me, those stupid engines are going flying.

I did have the capacitor configured correctly - orange for output (I've played with Immersive Engineering recently, but the last time I played with BC was 1.5.2). I was using stone kinesis pipes going from the capacitor to the back of all four lasers, and nothing happened. But the instant I ran power direct from the engines, they started working.

I haven't tried to make fluxducts yet. I'll look into them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Serifina posted:

they need steel, buildcraft laser chipsets, and hardened glass (so induction smelter + rock crusher) but they aren't really that expensive

you still wanna keep the IE wires and wire connectors around, though, because they convert RF to industrial craft's snowflake power system

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Dont make fluxduct.

Make itemduct

Its 2 tin plates, 2 hardened glass (so 1obsidian- pulverised or 4 from the rock crusher and 1 lead) and 1 glass for the clear.

Then use a magma cru/fluid transporter to put 2 redstone per pipe.

You end up with a pipe that transfers items as well as 2000k (per connection) RF

If you have a metal former, pulversiser, magma crusible and fluid transporter they are really easy to make.

Though you might need the lasers working to make the machine frames first. I got around that by sitting a generator on laser.

(culinary generators are easy to make too, if you have done the crops)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ah, skyblocks, my old friend, it's time to screenshot you again

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

someone linked a video using the thermal expansion translation plane you TP the newly created Wither down into a wither proof box before it explodes.

What's a TE translation plane anyways? I am trying to look that up in-game and out and getting nowhere.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What's a TE translation plane anyways? I am trying to look that up in-game and out and getting nowhere.

he probably means the formation plane

it lets you place blocks into the world

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

He probably meant a Translocation Plate:

http://teamcofh.com/docs/thermal-expansion/plates/translocation-plate/

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Glory of Arioch posted:

they need steel, buildcraft laser chipsets, and hardened glass (so induction smelter + rock crusher) but they aren't really that expensive

you still wanna keep the IE wires and wire connectors around, though, because they convert RF to industrial craft's snowflake power system

Wow, they really wanted to gate the gently caress out of my favorite tech mod, didn't they?

I planned to hang on to the IE wiring. I'm not doing IC2-specific power unless I absolutely have to (do I have to make a reactor or can I just ignore it forever?)

Meskhenet posted:

Dont make fluxduct.

Make itemduct

Its 2 tin plates, 2 hardened glass (so 1obsidian- pulverised or 4 from the rock crusher and 1 lead) and 1 glass for the clear.

Then use a magma cru/fluid transporter to put 2 redstone per pipe.

You end up with a pipe that transfers items as well as 2000k (per connection) RF

If you have a metal former, pulversiser, magma crusible and fluid transporter they are really easy to make.

Though you might need the lasers working to make the machine frames first. I got around that by sitting a generator on laser.

(culinary generators are easy to make too, if you have done the crops)

I've barely touched crops - basically did enough so I could compost enough dirt to find a rubber tree seed (so I have 10/10/10 wheat and nothing else.) When I look at more advanced power, I may go that route. Right now I just want to get my waterwheels set up so I can have worry-free auto production of metals and such.

The power item ducts I'll look at.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Serifina posted:

I planned to hang on to the IE wiring. I'm not doing IC2-specific power unless I absolutely have to (do I have to make a reactor or can I just ignore it forever?)

i am not there yet but i think it's part of progression to make plutonium in an IC2 reactor :smithfrog:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Serifina posted:

I've just made eight sets of the iron shafts so I can make waterwheels. Believe me, those stupid engines are going flying.

I did have the capacitor configured correctly - orange for output (I've played with Immersive Engineering recently, but the last time I played with BC was 1.5.2). I was using stone kinesis pipes going from the capacitor to the back of all four lasers, and nothing happened. But the instant I ran power direct from the engines, they started working.

Do you have access to LV wiring from IE? It 100% works with capacitors and lasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Khorne posted:

Do you have access to LV wiring from IE? It 100% works with capacitors and lasers.

I do. I had to, in order to power the metal former in order to make the iron shafts I need for waterwheels. (Which, despite being an IC2 machine has caused me the least amount of frustration so far!) I just didn't have enough wire coils and had the kinesis pipes in-hand.

Then again, I just remeembered that BC enforces its stupid power BS via those pipes, not the machines. They probably are most of the problem. Dammit.