Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Lovely Senorita posted:

I like how FROM managed to both keep the weird two-handed greatsword animations from DS2 and improve on them. The Hollowslayer Greatsword's a good sword :unsmith:

I've been alternating between this sword and a sharp rapier the entire game so far, it's been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

f#a# posted:

I've been alternating between this sword and a sharp rapier the entire game so far, it's been great.

rapier all day every day 24/7 rapier bros 4 lyfe

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Can someone please do a writeup on spellpower and how it's improved? I thought I scoured all the wikis but things like magic adjust are still beyond me. I'm playing a pyromancer, and upgrading my fist to +1 seems to do a ton for my Left Hand Attack Damage (and attribute bonus), but my spell adjust only goes up by 1? Does that mean it's worth upgrading the flame or should I just pump INT/FTH instead? I'm still used to DS1 where you have to upgrade the flame to increase pyro damage, but in this game damage scales on INT/FTH. Does it also (meaningfully) scale with flame upgrades as well, or does that attack damage stat only mean the combustion weapon art? Or not even that?

Second question, since I'm pyro should I be rushing the zone after AW to collect all the tomes? I read that if you finish that zone you might break a lot of NPC questlines if you haven't been doing them. Is that true or not really an issue?

Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat

voltron lion force posted:

I don't think you phrased that right, but it works like it always did.

I was thinking about the move-set penalty for 1-handing (shild and sword) a 2-hand weapon like the claymore.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, its just weird how DSII makes it sound like DS1 was so long ago that the names of the kingdoms and poo poo are lost of time and then in DSIII even ancillary stuff like Catarina is back

Although, it is also interesting if it implies the cycle is so strong that exact copies of kingdoms will rise again

The opening cinematic does say that "the transitory lands of the Lords of Cinder converge," so I think we're supposed to see this as things from other times and spaces actually reappearing, not just being rebuilt as copies, it's the exact same places just drifting out of the mists of time.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Harrow posted:

The opening cinematic does say that "the transitory lands of the Lords of Cinder converge," so I think we're supposed to see this as things from other times and spaces actually reappearing, not just being rebuilt as copies, it's the exact same places just drifting out of the mists of time.

Ah that makes sense

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wolnir was cool but a little too easy I think.

also holy moley I just spent 60k souls and went from 450~ hp to 950. what a difference.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 14, 2016

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Fat Samurai posted:

If you don't play the game in order to break boxes/jars/barrels I don't know what to tell you.

Oh, be sure I will continue smashing things and powerrolling into the breakable stuff :D

thx for the answers ladies and lads

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

uh... time and space is distorted here

Also there's the implication that You as the player character, the ashen NPCs, and all the lord's souls equivalent have been either sleeping or capital D Dead until the bell rings at the start of the game. It could be possible that Andre and Siegward and the like could have been conked out since the end of the events in the first game and with the no poo poo for real end times coming up whatever force that is waking the bosses and the ashen ones are also waking the long dead sane hollows from around the time DS1 happened.

Also there's also the possibility that Andre the blacksmith isn't the same Andre the Blacksmith that existed back in DS1. Remember the Moonlight butterfly boss in Dark Souls 1 and the tower immediately after it? There was a corpse at a blacksmith anvil that looked shockingly almost exactly like Andre. It could be that there are any number of Andre's around making weapons for hollows.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

double nine posted:

Is there a DS3 equivalent to this map yet?

I want to know if I'm missing sideways in the areas I've passed since so far everything has been pretty linear.

Here I make one for you (spoilers)

voltron lion force posted:

Yeah I was asking about this earlier and managed to find it:

awwww :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

double nine posted:

Is there a DS3 equivalent to this map yet?

I want to know if I'm missing sideways in the areas I've passed since so far everything has been pretty linear.

There is on the wiki, I'm not going to post it because spoilers.

The game is pretty linear with lots of offshoots that you can do optionally now or later. Its a decent balance so that newbies don't get lost in New Anor Londo Ruins or whatever when they don't know what they're doing. Its a little sad that you can't fully play the game in whatever order you want, but there's options.

Basically the game progression is a straight line with a bunch of tree-like branches shooting off every once in awhile, but never for very long. Then at the end, it winds back on itself.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Minrad posted:

why are the stairs on this side? anyone attacking your castle can now walk up the stairs and kill men in your gatehouse

immersion ruined, steam refund filed

The gate cannot open and at the top of the stairs is an undead attack dog kennel.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

you can always tell Miyazaki is a huge Bezerk fanboy because every game the most variety and focus is always on greatswords

Getting even more Berzerk vibes from this game than previous ones. Archdeacon McDonnell reminds me so much of Berserk straight up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A nice touch in this game: when an NPC heads from the game world to Firelink Shrine, they disappear with the Homeward Bone effect instead of just standing there until you rest at a bonfire/reload. That's nice and I appreciate it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Weird I have bluecopped like ten times now. Sometimes I get bluecopped into zones I am not even in.

The only time it worked for me I got instantly killed by the fat witch one inch behind my spawn point.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

man every single invasion has been 3v1 lately and it's not the kind of 3v1 where they chase me to the mobs and i can divide them, it's the 3v1 where they just stand at the bonfire spamming emotes until i run in and die or black crystal out

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

GreyPowerVan posted:

man every single invasion has been 3v1 lately and it's not the kind of 3v1 where they chase me to the mobs and i can divide them, it's the 3v1 where they just stand at the bonfire spamming emotes until i run in and die or black crystal out

Invaders are bitches and I am glad you are being made a bitch

Bluecop domination

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
6 points in int worth it for a str build, to grab greater magic weapon? it seems to add a 'measly' ~50 damage, but hey free damage is damage and covering my bases against some physical immune or enemy I can't quite three shot is nice, without needing to bother using consumable pines.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

when this happens I normally just go sit down and rest emote and initiate shitposting, like right now

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I didn't realize the bottom area of Road of sacrifices, the swamp/crab area was the cat/belltower covenant equivalent while milling through it the first time. I just killed the crazy hat invasion npc and suddenly get invaded for real. I kill her after a lengthy pitched battle that drained all my estus and as she's dying, I'm invaded again. I decide to book it to see if I can find another bonfire before I die. The invader contents himself to just hide and wait for me to die in my panicked state. Before I wander into a building to get ganged up on by enemies I get invaded by a second person, which is when I finally put 2 and 2 together and realize what's up.

Wait do you mean the swamp before the crystal sage? I didn't get invaded at all there. Or do you go back to it again later or something?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wish the game was a bit less linear. It was nice how in DS1 and 2 I could go and smash my head against a wall somewhere else if the current wall didn't feel like crumbling

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Minrad posted:

6 points in int worth it for a str build, to grab greater magic weapon? it seems to add a 'measly' ~50 damage, but hey free damage is damage and covering my bases against some physical immune or enemy I can't quite three shot is nice, without needing to bother using consumable pines.

Just use resins.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Being a bluecop seriously rocks. I've racked up 15 proofs of a concord kept.

However, I've recently run into an issue where I can't summon more than one person for a boss fight? I was only able to do one for Abyss Watchers, for example. Is there something intentional affecting this, or is it a bug?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was worried about Fashion Souls in the pre-Dark Souls III thread and I can already safely say that the amount of good and fashionable armor in this game is excellent. I haven't found that many hats and helms that I like, but the same could be said for the other Souls games.

Right now, I'm the prettiest knight :3:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Minrad posted:

that's what i did on my quality build. using a +4 refined broadsword and throwing greater magic weapon on it for pve.

for pvp im testing a bunch of different weapons, spin2win bleed swords is pretty fun for now

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait do you mean the swamp before the crystal sage? I didn't get invaded at all there. Or do you go back to it again later or something?

The swamp with the large crabs should have at least an invasion or two. Maybe the second one was a real human but there were definitely two invaders chasing me while crabs and guys with large sticks beat my rear end.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Just use resins.

fair enough, I'll probably just fully commit to str build and grab a bow when I hit rosaria's

GreyPowerVan posted:

that's what i did on my quality build. using a +4 refined broadsword and throwing greater magic weapon on it for pve.

for pvp im testing a bunch of different weapons, spin2win bleed swords is pretty fun for now

I was digging zweihander and having an easy time catching people with the knockup, but then I tried the spiked mace that witches have and :eyepop: that skill moveset is loving BALLER. It chains really well into R2 crushes, as well. it's so speedy and has so much tracking that it almost feels like it's cheating to overcome the usual slowness of Great* movesets.

Minera fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 14, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Minrad posted:

fair enough, I'll probably just fully commit to str build and grab a bow when I hit rosaria's

you can always put 1 into int for normal magic weapon

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Your Computer posted:

I was worried about Fashion Souls in the pre-Dark Souls III thread and I can already safely say that the amount of good and fashionable armor in this game is excellent. I haven't found that many hats and helms that I like, but the same could be said for the other Souls games.

The Fallen armor set is just so cool, I love it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GreyPowerVan posted:

Same and I hate it. Every once in awhile I get a 2v2 summon and its super fun times, but 90% is 3v1 at the bonfire and they refuse to do anything but wait and gank me 3v1.

Most of the time I won't even fight the host, I'll just call out one of the phantoms and try to 1v1 duel them. But then the host always runs in for a backstab gank when I'm vulnerable. You can always re-summon somebody for free afterwards! Weak.

I tend to co-op with a friend, and we leave way of the blue on for fun, but if a single invader shows up AND there's a bluecop, we don't 3v1. (Unless the invader is being a dick about trying to wait to gank us mid-combat)

What we do is we both do the toast gesture and spectate as the bluecop and the invader have an epic 1v1 duel for our amusement.

If the invader wins, then we fight him 2v1. If the bluecop wins, we say 'thank you' and off he goes. If its a purplebro then they both leave either result.

RBA Starblade posted:

Yes the swamp before crystal sage gets some wolf invaders, but even more so the lower swamp outside Farron is the real hunter's forest of DS3.

There's also another hunter's forest zone later in the game too. (for another covenant)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Just use resins.

How does Carthus Flame Arc (Flame Weapon) compare to Charcoal Pine Resin, assuming I'm not going to go full pyro and just get like 12/12 or 15/15?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

This will be mostly gameplay mechanic spoilers for getting a platinum. I have questions and want to be clarified.

is the easiest way to get the platinum to do as much as possible in the first playthrough (I know there are rings in ng+-) and do the hollow quest? I'm assuming you could save before the final boss, do the hollow ending, then reload, and cure it then you can do the other two endings. At that point, you have a ng+ to do any NPC quests you missed but otherwise the goal is to get all the unique ng+ and ng++ rings. So you're better off running every zone and then summon for bosses basically. Now here's a good question. Can you just drop rings? Because I imagine a goon could drop any rings you're missing (you can probably summon across ng+ with passwords) and you can pick it up and hold it for 5 seconds for trophy then give it back.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Right now, I'm the prettiest knight :3:

Cannot take a picture right now but

thief mask
undead legion armor
firekeeper guantlets
channeler pants

the dopest ninja

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

38 hours in and I just finished. I feel like I missed a lot of content even though I methodically checked every nook and cranny I could before beating the game. Had a few moments where I really couldn't figure out where to go despite the game being so linear. Hard to resist the urge to hit up the internet after bumbling around for two hours without finding the next place to go. Now to find out what all I missed.

Really wish they had left the screaming enemies back in bloodborne.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Harrow posted:

How does Carthus Flame Arc (Flame Weapon) compare to Charcoal Pine Resin, assuming I'm not going to go full pyro and just get like 12/12 or 15/15?

I can't cite numbers, but as an actual dedicated pyro at 30/30, it was making my melee hits match up if not overcoming my spell damage, with the obvious caveat that I wasn't being locked into slow animations. At the same time, you get chaos fireball shortly after and the non spell game is over.

e: cursory search seems to imply that it scales with pyro flame upgrades and clutch rings at the least. usable at 10/10, so try it and report back? it has some sort of scaling at the very least, unlike magic weapon.

Minera fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 14, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes the swamp before crystal sage gets some wolf invaders, but even more so the lower swamp outside Farron is the real hunter's forest of DS3.

There's also another hunter's forest zone later in the game too. (for another covenant)

That's cool, too bad nobody showed for me.

Unrelatedly, I miss being invaded when hollow.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

A side note, I completely missed the loving Transposing Kiln until after I had already ate some Lords. With all the Demon's Souls elements I had it in my head that I was missing some kind of coal for boss weapons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Minrad posted:

I can't cite numbers, but as an actual dedicated pyro at 30/30, it was making my melee hits match up if not overcoming my spell damage, with the obvious caveat that I wasn't being locked into slow animations. At the same time, you get chaos fireball shortly after and the non spell game is over.

I'm really considering starting up a dedicated pyro just because pyromancies are so drat fun.

What weapon are you using? Getting the stats for the weapon I'd love to Chaos-infuse (Carthus Curved Greatsword, go full Carthus) is going to prevent me from either having decent HP or reaching 30/30, but it would sure be a good time.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
boy it sure is fun that aldrich can shoot five minutes of arrows with one cast that's super fun and engaging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Cannot take a picture right now but

thief mask
undead legion armor
firekeeper guantlets
channeler pants

the dopest ninja

I used to be thief mask + fallen knight, now I'm thief mask + legion armor :hf:

Occasionally I put on the crystal sage hat to be all big hat Logan style. (Plus there's a cool plague doctor mask under the hat, not that you can see it)

Also popehat.