Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

double nine posted:

Is there a DS3 equivalent to this map yet?

I want to know if I'm missing sideways in the areas I've passed since so far everything has been pretty linear.

Do you need a map, this has got to be the most linear game in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Man, pontiff whatever is an annoying rear end in a top hat. He feels like those mutated things near the start of the game in that he just never stops loving flailing about during phase 1. The one time I got to phase 2 seemed fair, shadow attacks first and then the boss itself does the same attack, unless you accidentally kill the shadow then he just starts randomly flailing again.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Zaphod42 posted:

I used to be thief mask + fallen knight, now I'm thief mask + legion armor :hf:

Occasionally I put on the crystal sage hat to be all big hat Logan style. (Plus there's a cool plague doctor mask under the hat, not that you can see it)

Also popehat.

I really want to find a good pair of white paints so I can do saint's hood + antiquated garb for a white ninja look.

Especially since I am using Flynn's ring and that armor in insanely light.

Speaking of which, did anyone else notice Abyss Watcher took way too much damage each hit? I dropped him like eight or nine stabs from the rapier. I am wondering if he is like that for everyone or if the fact I was 10% weight with Flynn's ring just turned me into a murder machine.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

The Fallen armor set is just so cool, I love it.

It's so cool that your character probably has shades on underneath the helmet. It's just a shame that 90% of everyone playing the game uses it :v:

Black armor with tattered cloth and a hood. It's like a more successful version of SotFS's grimdark Forlorn armor set.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Harrow posted:

I'm really considering starting up a dedicated pyro just because pyromancies are so drat fun.

What weapon are you using? Getting the stats for the weapon I'd love to Chaos-infuse (Carthus Curved Greatsword, go full Carthus) is going to prevent me from either having decent HP or reaching 30/30, but it would sure be a good time.

I'm full 30/30 and mostly relying on spells (chaos fireball op) but I do have a Dark infused Lothric Knight Sword, and a Chaos infused Uchigatana since they have similar dex/str requirements that are fairly low. Shout out to Lothric Knight Sword: it's one of my favorite straight sword movesets since it has a strong rapier stab on R2 that tracks, and it has dex requirements, handy if you want to boost your cast speed.

I would try sticking with low int/fth and using carthus flame; if it sucks you get plenty of respecs at Rosaria's, lord knows I've burned through plenty on my pyro trying out various hybrid builds, but never one that focused on low int/fth.

Minera fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 14, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Minrad posted:

I'm full 30/30 and mostly relying on spells (chaos fireball op) but I do have a Dark infused Lothric Knight Sword, and a Chaos infused Uchigatana since they have similar dex/str requirements that are fairly low.

I would try sticking with low int/fth and using carthus flame; if it sucks you get plenty of respecs at Rosaria's, lord knows I've burned through plenty on my pyro trying out various hybrid builds, but never one that focused on low int/fth.

One build I want to try out will have 18 Strength, 40 Dexterity, and 25/25 Int/Faith. It's not perfect for pyromancy, but with the three rings I have to imagine it'll be really strong still, and I'll have great scaling stats for a normal/sharp weapon and also be able to buff it.

On the down side, this build would only have 18 Attunement and 30/30 Vigor/Endurance, which seems low on both, so if it falls down anywhere that'll be where.

At low Int/Faith I'm mostly curious if Carthus Flame Arc outdamages a Charcoal Pine Resin or not. I'm sure it does at high Int/Faith.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I dunno why because their marking designs are different but Fallen Knight's armor reminds of the Drakeblood armor from DS2 SOTFS.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Harrow posted:

One build I want to try out will have 18 Strength, 40 Dexterity, and 25/25 Int/Faith. It's not perfect for pyromancy, but with the three rings I have to imagine it'll be really strong still, and I'll have great scaling stats for a normal/sharp weapon and also be able to buff it.

On the down side, this build would only have 18 Attunement and 30/30 Vigor/Endurance, which seems low on both, so if it falls down anywhere that'll be where.

At low Int/Faith I'm mostly curious if Carthus Flame Arc outdamages a Charcoal Pine Resin or not. I'm sure it does at high Int/Faith.

18 is actually the sweet spot, imo. 150 is enough for 6x casts of chaos fireball, and 3 spell slots. 24? is when you hit 4 slots, and then you get less and less returns after that.

I think that might be a bit hopeful on the int/faith and dex values, though. soul levels at 70+ start to get really scarce. Should be fine if that's your intent for absolute end game/NG+, though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What's a good number to pump weight capacity up too? Or am I asking too much to have fast rolls in plate armor? :3:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Vintersorg posted:

What's a good number to pump weight capacity up too? Or am I asking too much to have fast rolls in plate armor? :3:

Good rolls require 50% or lower

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Minrad posted:

18 is actually the sweet spot, imo. 150 is enough for 6x casts of chaos fireball, and 3 spell slots. 24? is when you hit 4 slots, and then you get less and less returns after that.

I think that might be a bit hopeful on the int/faith and dex values, though. soul levels at 70+ start to get really scarce. Should be fine if that's your intent for absolute end game/NG+, though.

Oh yes, I'm 100% thinking NG+/SL 125 PvP for this. Should've clarified. I'm not sure yet if I want to respec my current character to pyro heading into NG+ or start a new pyromancer when I finish my first NG. My priorities will be getting enough Str/Dex to wield a good raw weapon, then focusing on Int/Faith and Attunement until I have them where I want them to be, then back to the Dex (with Vigor/Endurance sprinkled in). Raw weapons seem strong enough, with buff spells, to get you through a good part of the game, which is nice.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'm doing fine at below 70%. The differences between 50% and 69% are small enough that I'm not sweating them, and they both feel about as good as the DS1 fast roll, just with slightly less distance covered. Being under 30% gets you a lot more distance on your roll, though.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

In general, hybrid builds seem a lot weaker than DS2

1 - increased scaling on spells means you're getting less returns for not fully devoting to a caster build
2 - it feels like there's less soul levels in a full playthrough of DS3
3 - and most importantly, no HP gained from primary stats means you end up really squishy, instead of "kinda squishy but with enough HP from your mixed of str/dex/int/fth" to make a difference.

Harrow posted:

Oh yes, I'm 100% thinking NG+/SL 125 PvP for this. Should've clarified. I'm not sure yet if I want to respec my current character to pyro heading into NG+ or start a new pyromancer when I finish my first NG. My priorities will be getting enough Str/Dex to wield a good raw weapon, then focusing on Int/Faith and Attunement until I have them where I want them to be, then back to the Dex (with Vigor/Endurance sprinkled in). Raw weapons seem strong enough, with buff spells, to get you through a good part of the game, which is nice.

Oh, word, then yeah that all looks good to me. Plenty of int/faith to make pyros really hurt when you need to tag a fleeing target, but with the focus on dex to still be a melee build and with the strongest melee buff magic.

And yeah, shout outs to raw astoria sword for carrying me through cathedral, farron keep, and catacombs. Dunno how I would've managed without them. :v:

Minera fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 14, 2016

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Managed to :gitgud: and beat aforementioned jerk. I wish that fight functioned like phase 2 the whole time but a little more aggressive.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Minrad posted:

In general, hybrid builds seem a lot weaker than DS2

1 - increased scaling on spells means you're getting less returns for not fully devoting to a caster build
2 - it feels like there's less soul levels in a full playthrough of DS3
3 - and most importantly, no HP gained from primary stats means you end up really squishy, instead of "kinda squishy but with enough HP from your mixed of str/dex/int/fth" to make a difference.

Yeah, a true hybrid can only really work past SL 100, and even then, you're giving up HP/Stamina to make it work (like my planned pyro hybrid, going with 30 Vigor/30 Stamina even at SL 125, though I'll probably have the Prisoner's Chain in my fourth ring slot to help make up the difference since 40 Dex means I won't need the Sage's Ring).

Pyromancers can do very well in melee with Chaos weapons, I know, but I wanna buff for some reason. I guess I just like the look of a big fiery sword to go with my fireballs.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
The soundtrack is so good. But it's missing quite a few phase 2's :(

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Harrow posted:

Being under 30% gets you a lot more distance on your roll, though.

And if you look closely you will see your guy is doing a handstand flip instead of a roll.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

All sub 70% rolls should be the same, in terms of iframes. The only distance is how -far- you roll, which can matter for avoiding some aoe attacks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

And if you look closely you will see your guy is doing a handstand flip instead of a roll.

Haha, really? I didn't notice that. I'll try that when I get home.

I don't see any reason to stay under 50%, though, if you're going over 30% at all. I'd say either commit fully to being super lightweight and stay under 30%, or just don't even sweat it and make sure you're at least at 69.9% or lower. I can notice the difference between a 50% roll and a 65% roll if I'm really looking for it, but it's not as dramatic as it was in DS2.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Harrow posted:

lol i've been playing through the game with base vig/vit/end

glass cannon is the only way to play yall

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GreyPowerVan posted:

I can see base Vigor, but base Vitality is bad for ~*~fashion~*~ and base Endurance would be torture for me.

Also I'm mostly thinking NG+ SL125 PvP for this build, where base Vigor means you get one-shot, which doesn't seem super practical.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I loving hate dogs. No matter where you are there they are too, yapping at your heels, being unpredictable and loving you up when you're not paying attention.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

Pyromancers can do very well in melee with Chaos weapons, I know, but I wanna buff for some reason. I guess I just like the look of a big fiery sword to go with my fireballs.

I'm the same way. I was originally planning on going high dex low int and using magic buffs, but I'm doing more and more Int/Fth to try out new spells and pyromancies. So the best build now would be to do Crystal or Chaos, but then there's no cool buff lightsaber glow :smith:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The 30% and 70% breakpoints are the only thing that really matters in most situations.

Hilariously I saw a video of a guy with 99% weight armor using a dagger to jump around and dickstab people, totally ignoring that he was supposed to be slow. It worked well and was fun as gently caress to watch, hell if I can find the video again though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Harrow posted:

Haha, really? I didn't notice that. I'll try that when I get home.

Its hard to see because normally the shield obscures it. Roll backwards under thirty with a small shield and you can see it. He plants with his hand and his back never actually hits the ground.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

I think, uh, I was one or two zones ahead of you where I gave up on this mentality and put ~a few~ points into vigor. I got one shot during an invasion by another pyromancer and went, okay yeah time to get some HP. :v:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I sure wish I could've attended the staff meeting where from decided that 75% of the enemies in game would emit the same EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE scream. Taking down the fire breathing fellow right on the wall made me turn down my speakers. The crows made me turn them off until i left the area.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm the same way. I was originally planning on going high dex low int and using magic buffs, but I'm doing more and more Int/Fth to try out new spells and pyromancies. So the best build now would be to do Crystal or Chaos, but then there's no cool buff lightsaber glow :smith:

If I'm not mistaken, Chaos just clowns on Crystal damage-wise. I know the Astora Greatsword picks up loving A/A Int/Faith scaling when you make it Chaos and the Estoc gets B/B. It's pretty magnificent.

Of course then you gotta have something for fire-resistant enemies but a Dark weapon would do you just fine.

What I'm trying to figure out right now is if the Vigor/Endurance sacrifice I'd make for 40 Dex and 25/25 Int/Faith at SL 125 will be worth it for true hybrid goodness. (And if 18 Attunement will give me too few spell slots, given that I'd probably have to use the Prisoner's Chain in my last ring slot instead of a spell slot ring.)

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Time for some jolly cooperaaaaaa :aaaaa:

Man, online really sucks

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Man reading this bit on the wiki for the Mound Makers is kind of depressing

"Invading as a Mound Maker will prioritize worlds with many players, allowing for maximum chaos. (confirmed in Prima guide)"

That's different from any other invasion...how? I got the full red eye orb on my lv11 guy and man. Almost every single player has 2 summons babysitting them through the entire experience. Even when I get summoned with the white soapstone, you don't do enough damage to burn through the full amount of estus the host has.

e: oh yeah if you invade as a mound maker you have to kill 2 phantoms or the host as opposed to just 1. Good look trying to do that with the lag and animation bugs almost every fight :haw:

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 14, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I sure wish I could've attended the staff meeting where from decided that 75% of the enemies in game would emit the same EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE scream. Taking down the fire breathing fellow right on the wall made me turn down my speakers. The crows made me turn them off until i left the area.

They made that skreee for Orphan of Kos and by golly they're getting their moneys worth.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
loving patches. i even read a message someone had left too. Is it still possible to get across?

Jose fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 14, 2016

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I found the Zweihander and it's basically just as good as DS1, I'm not sure what the hubbub is about straight swords. Its L2 is a loving launch attack, it's incredible.GIANTS GIANTS GIANTS

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Frankston posted:

Man, online really sucks

The mitsubishi touch

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BTW, I love that multiplayer lists character names instead of usernames

Helped a dude yesterday named Dank Souls 420

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I need a hint. Just beat Deacons. Where should I go next? Their boss room appears to be a dead end.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BTW, I love that multiplayer lists character names instead of usernames

Helped a dude yesterday named Dank Souls 420

My first invasion was, of course, by Hugh A. Nuss

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

I need a hint. Just beat Deacons. Where should I go next? Their boss room appears to be a dead end.

Check around the water/crab area in the forest.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

sector_corrector posted:

go back to the halfway fortress bonfire and bear right instead of left in the swamp just after that bonfire. you'll get to a poisonous swamp

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Frankston posted:

Man, online really sucks

You fell into the Nightmare Frontier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Minrad posted: