Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh drat, they really ARE making a film out of the boobytrapped incest womb superhero comic

The usual approach to adapting Millar comics is to turn them into something almost entirely different. The guy's entire creative output is try-hard edgy takes on popular comic concepts, then they get adapted into movies by making them less edgy and more like the things they were based on. I don't know why they bother though, because sanding the edge off something that has nothing to it but edge results in movies that have almost nothing to do with the comics they are supposedly adaptations of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Counterpoint: because of property rights when someone makes something terrible that means someone good isn't making it.

While the 2016 Ghostbusters doesn't "ruin" the old one, and people saying that are dumb dildos, someone like Zack Snyder having the rights to Superman means we are not getting a watchable Superman movie until he fucks off and they scrap this stupid DCEU shitshow.

I can live with that and I bet you can too. Although I prefer my costumed heroes in funny paper form anyway because I can't watch a movie on the toilet.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

our first shot at unlocking the whole Hanna-Barbera Universe,

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Apparently it's hipsters according the the upcoming comicbook:

Note that Scooby now communicates via holographic emojis

Oh and the new Wacky Races will be heavily inspired by Mad Max, because of course it loving is

Here's the new Penelope Pittstop and Dick Darstardly & Muttley

I RACE, I DIE, I RACE AGAIN!

I long for a world where IPs can just stay dead.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
lmfao at shaggy with a handlebar mustache, plugs, and sleeve

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Jerry Cotton posted:

I can live with that and I bet you can too. Although I prefer my costumed heroes in funny paper form anyway because I can't watch a movie on the toilet.

Dude, a kindle fire is like $79. How are you not always consuming media and making GBS threads, like me, the always online film critic?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mordja posted:

I long for a world where IPs can just stay dead.

Unless the creator is someone like Bill Watterson or Robert Zemeckis who stoically refuses to let their IP be remade or adapted then pretty much any IP which still has some cultural impact or nostalgia value will be up for grabs. Often the movie rights were sold for a song decades ago and producers have been fighting to retain or get hold of those rights ever since with the original creator long left out of the process. I've heard stories of Hollywood producers who quietly wait for particular IP licences to expire so they can swoop in and buy the rights the second they become available. There's also bunches of stories of studios fighting protracted legal battles lasting years in order to wrestle IP rights away from other studios if they feel they have some sort of claim over them. And then of course there's the studios that finance and produce a lovely low budget piece of poo poo film just to hang on to the rights, like the unreleased Roger Corman Fantastic Four film and the direct-to-DVD Dungeons and Dragons films.

The actual media product that eventually gets released to the public often feels like an afterthought to these crazy backroom deals, unless they somehow get connected to people like the guy in charge of the Space Ghost relaunch who was a huge fan of the character and fought to stay true to the original. Also compare the version of Deadpool which ended up in the Wolverine film and the standalone Deadpool film .

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

thathonkey posted:

lmfao at shaggy with a handlebar mustache, plugs, and sleeve

I'm sure he keeps his stache wax and hair product in his cute little man-purse.

Actually, imagining Shaggy involved in meticulous grooming is kind of funny in any 'universe' let alone an apocalyptic one.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
But why not just make something new and good?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

'Dredd' was good and it lost money. Making something 'good' is a terrible way to run a business.

Don't forget that a lot of the people brought in to produce or write or direct or act in these superhero movies have often never had the slightest interest in the characters before and have never read any of the comics their movie will be based on. There's some fascinating stories about producers back in the 90s or 00s arguing whether Superman needs to wear a cape or fly or any of that other silly stuff that just didn't make any sense to them. They don't loving care about the history of the character or what it might represent to the fans, that's just dumb lovely details as far as they're concerned.

All they care about is that the character has some level of recognition with the general public which will make the advertising/promotion significantly easier. Convincing people to go see a film with characters ans situations they're not familiar with is risky and if they can buy an IP which has brand recognition built into it then they'll go for that option whenever they can.

Edit: I'm cynical as gently caress about the Hollywood process but I've got tons of stories to back up my position. The more you look into it the shittier it looks. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 14, 2016

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

[interior, Hollywood studio]

Sir, the peasants are asking for a new and good property again.

"Release another Pirates movie and a Netflix show revival"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dude, a kindle fire is like $79. How are you not always consuming media and making GBS threads, like me, the always online film critic?

Because :lol: at buying a Kindle.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

'Dredd' was good and it lost money. Making something 'good' is a terrible way to run a business.

Don't forget that a lot of the people brought in to produce or write or direct or act in these superhero movies have often never had the slightest interest in the characters before and have never read any of the comics their movie will be based on. There's some fascinating stories about producers back in the 90s or 00s arguing whether Superman needs to wear a cape or fly or any of that other silly stuff that just didn't make any sense to them. They don't loving care about the history of the character or what it might represent to the fans, that's just dumb lovely details as far as they're concerned.

All they care about is that the character has some level of recognition with the general public which will make the advertising/promotion significantly easier. Convincing people to go see a film with characters ans situations they're not familiar with is risky and if they can buy an IP which has brand recognition built into it then they'll go for that option whenever they can.

Hollywood fundamentally disproves capitalism

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I can die happy if we can get a grimdark space jam cinematic universe of of this. Just hire the Charles Barkley shut up and jam gaiden folks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

i just watched Dredd recently, and wow it was a really great flick. at the time i avoided it because i assumed it was just another lovely remake. dang, i wish i could have given them some money now, i want a sequel in that universe :(

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moon Atari posted:

The usual approach to adapting Millar comics is to turn them into something almost entirely different. The guy's entire creative output is try-hard edgy takes on popular comic concepts, then they get adapted into movies by making them less edgy and more like the things they were based on. I don't know why they bother though, because sanding the edge off something that has nothing to it but edge results in movies that have almost nothing to do with the comics they are supposedly adaptations of.

Since you read Mark Millar comic. Are the anal joke and the church scene the only two things the movie kept from the Kingsman comic?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

whatever7 posted:

Since you read Mark Millar comic. Are the anal joke and the church scene the only two things the movie kept from the Kingsman comic?

I haven't read Kingsman because after reading Wanted I decided I was content just reading synopses or skimming Millar comics. I actually thought Kingsman was an alright movie though in a b grade sort of way, so I can't imagine what the comic actually involves.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
mark millar lol

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I heard the anal thing isn't in the comic which surprised me. Could be wrong though.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

whatever7 posted:

The thing with Mark Hamill being one of the guys who refuses to go along with the scheme and is kidnapped was changed because he ended up playing the doctor who invents Valentine's weapon.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

[running makeup and snotty face]

LEAVE BATMAN V SUPERMAN ALONE

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Someone tried to say that BVS was bad and that Civil War was good, but I called him out on that poo poo

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i have very little interest in comic book movies but civil war looks pretty good :shrug: i enjoyed the last standalone captain america movie fwiw. haven't seen ultron.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

what the gently caress is wrong with these people

thathonkey posted:

i have very little interest in comic book movies but civil war looks pretty good :shrug: i enjoyed the last standalone captain america movie fwiw. haven't seen ultron.

I saw ultron drunk with friends and had a lot of fun, haven't seen it sober and don't really see a reason to so :shrug:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

It's funny how hung up Warner and fan boys are at accusing Marvel of bashing them when they got caught making bot accounts to pump up movie ratings and spam social media.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I saw ultron drunk with friends and had a lot of fun, haven't seen it sober and don't really see a reason to so :shrug:

It ends with a video game fight where everybody is slinging puns around, and jeremy renner has a scene where he explains that the movie is dumb and makes no sense, which doesn't absolve it of being dumb and making no sense

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Does anybody have that chart of the characters in Captain America civil war, and their parent's names?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
As I said before, I love that DC thinks it is competing with Marvel when Marvel is competing with Fox

Its like how Penn State considers Ohio State its rival while Ohio State's rival is Michigan

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
I guess you could say this movie wasn't so super after all!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Libelous Slander posted:

I guess you could say this movie wasn't so super after all!

DC? Stands for "Didn't C it" lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

you'd have to be batty to think BvS was good

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its like how Penn State considers Ohio State its rival while Ohio State's rival is Michigan

My dad does this, and it's fun to make him mad by just uttering the phrase "Land Grant Trophy".

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

many johnnys posted:

It ends with a video game fight where everybody is slinging puns around, and jeremy renner has a scene where he explains that the movie is dumb and makes no sense, which doesn't absolve it of being dumb and making no sense

sorry you didn't like it i guess? like i said i had fun with friends so w/e

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

SciFiDownBeat posted:

you'd have to be batty to think BvS was good

haha

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Is that Grace Randolph? BvS has made her completely, literally insane.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

ZDar Fan posted:

Someone tried to say that BVS was bad and that Civil War was good, but I called him out on that poo poo

i told him that his position is farcical if he just applied some of the theories of zizek, and then i passed out from the lack of oxygen in my anal cavity.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I can almost understand the stupidity of Mac vs PC fandom arguments, because this is like a major $2000 purchase you need to justify

But how the gently caress you gonna yell "fanboy" over movies? These shits are $5. $1 if you wait for redbox and free if you go on them websites.

Like are there even Fox fanboys? I don't think goodwill for X-Men had anything to do with Fant4stic being almost as hated as BvS.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Is that Grace Randolph? BvS has made her completely, literally insane.

holy poo poo you weren't kidding :stonkhat:

https://twitter.com/gracerandolph

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oh, it doesn't end there...
https://youtu.be/HDOQdur9CnQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

OMG, that's the person literally every video / tweet making fun of awful YouTube critics uses as an example.

This is amazing.

• Locked thread