Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
NEWS FROM PARADOX :toot:

potatocubed posted:

I listened to that, and as someone who knew exactly what every reference was to it was fantastic. Then I read this interview with the new White Wolf lead storyteller:

http://imagonem.org/2016/02/15/white-wolfs-lead-storyteller-there-will-be-a-release-in-2016/

The way one illuminates the other is magical.

:catstare:

This is a GREAT FIND and I must post it everywhere.

quote:

Dateline: 15. FEBRUAR 2016

:frogsiren: White Wolf’s lead Storyteller: – There will be a release in 2016 :frogsiren:

Martin Elricsson, Lead Storyteller and Brand Architect at the newly Swedish White Wolf (recently acquired by Paradox Interactive) kindly took the time for a brief Q&A with Imagonem about upcoming plans.

Which game lines do you plan to revive, and when?

We prefer the term ”rise from torpor”. An elder awakening from a century of slumber is starving and hungry for fresh blood. So are we. Initial plans include products based on all of the ”classic” World of Darkness lines. It may be a while before we get to Mummy: The Resurrection tho :) Our launch plan will always be a secret until it’s not. I love the speculation and mystery surrounding future releases we saw in the 90’s, so we will definitely play with that aspect. Hints and clues to what will come next will appear in future products and WW communiques. There are actually a few of them out there already.

Will you prioritize computer games, or will we see pen-and-paper soon?

Short answer is that the economic centre of the company will be computer games. Unless something weird happens and people start buying roleplaying books, WoD novels and comics like they were Harry Potter. As things are now tabletop publishing hardly breaks even. Spiritually the core will always be tabletop rpg and larp. The Bibles we’re working on for computer games are written as if they were texts for a new tabletop edition, and will most likely be released in that format. :black101: Combined launches of digital and tabletop also games seem to make a lot of sense. In the last few years, focused and easy-to-use products like Mutant: Year Zero and Lamentations of the Flame Princess are selling unexpectedly well. Their brevity and low threshold makes them perfect for introducing new players to the hobby, while the monumental classic-WW-style books generally sell poorly and are more read than played. If future editions of WoD are actively used rather than collected we have done our job.

What form will the computer game take? MMO? Are you able to bring over content from CCP’s “World of Darkness”?

All releases will be announced when we feel confident they will release on time, reach our very high bar of quality and have enough material to be discussed by the community in a meaningful way. We own all assets connected to WoD, including the CCP content that they kindly gave us as a bonus when we made the purchase of the IP. I for one intend to make sure those 8 years of work by a hundred exceptionally talented creators doesn’t entirely go to waste.

You have mentioned larp plans. Will this be a new international “Camarilla”? How will the campaigns work, and what kind of system will you use?

We hope to be a resource to local Mind’s Eye Theatre troupes, not a dictatorial central committee.(:laugh:) Plans for some tools for communities and global character tracking are underway but way to early to talk specifics. What we can say is that MET will not be the only larp in town. Official White Wolf larps will not use Minds Eye Theatre rules but be organized more like Monitor Celestra or College of Wizardry.

Could you explain a little about the deal you’ve made with Onyx Path? What will be the main difference between “The Chronicles of Darkness” and “The World of Darkness”?

There is only one WoD. Chronicles of Darkness is a sandbox tabletop setting featuring the same broad creature types as the World of Darkness, but it is not the same world. It will not be spun off into computer games, novels, TV or anything else. It’s our specific brand for great metaplot-less, flexible, table-driven tabletop rpg. With the 2nd editions CoD has really found a separate identity from WoD and will continue to become even more of it’s own thing. We still own it but it’s Onyx Path’s baby. I love CoD and find that is a much more playable game with a more vague and unsettling aesthetic than WoD ever had. Too bad it never sold for poo poo and that old players hated it. It lacked the epic scope and the punk passion of the classic WoD. Had it done even remotely as well as the classic WoD things would be very different.

Onyx Path also have a license to produce nostalgia books for the classic WoD settings. These are official but set in the same nebulous ”eternal nineties”, using the old-school buckets-of-dice-system featured in the original lines. Future editions will move the setting, mythos, metaplot and mechanics almost 15 years forward into present day. It’s the same world, but a lot has changed. It’s useful to see the Classic and Anniversary books as highly subjective. The ultimate truth can’t be found in the books, but we can glimpse it through the multiplicity of perspectives presented. For instance Humanity is a mechanic presented from the Camarilla point of view, while Paths of Enlightenment give us the Sabbat perspective on the subject of morality. None of them are True. Both are models and simplifications.

Could you explain the vision for the new setting and metaplot, and the “eastward shift” (focusing on Europe, Russia and the Middle East)?

”What if the monsters are real, hidden among us?”, is the elevator pitch for the new metaplot. Gothic-Punk is dead and buried as an aesthetic. All the Apocalypses of the classic WoD has happened. In 2001 the Gehenna-war for the graves of the Antediluvians began. In 2006 the rise of the Wyrm and the inevitability of ecological Apocalypse became publicly known. The Technocracy has won, we surrendered when we allowed machines to shape our values and minds, trapping us in the paranoid realms of our personal filter-bubbles. At the same time we are applying engineering to quantum mechanics, making magical theories manifest as Science, so all hope is not lost. In line with this we integrate dramatic real world events to feature prominently in the story. We face difficult social subjects like the rise of fascism, religious fanaticism and the death of ideology in mainstream politics, head on. This naturally leads us to focus on areas where dramatic change is happening. Also there are more books on the US of Darkness than the rest of the world combined.

When can fans expect to see the first products for these new lines from Paradox and partners?

There will be a release in 2016.

What clans do you and CEO Tobias Sjögren belong to?

I’m a Toreador, he’s a Ventrue.

Any Mage plans?

Yes. :hellyeah:

Will the Werewolves remain crypto fascist eco-terrorist?

More than they have ever been. Global Warming has released the Wyrm-tide. The end of the Impergium (ancient Werewolves hunting humans to keep their numbers manageable) seems like a terrible mistake in retrospect.

What sucks most (pun intended) about being a Vampire?

The obsession with self-deception and appearing moral or darkly glorious to their peers. Never being able to be truly proud of who you are. Even The Sabbat need to think of themselves as ”good” in their fight against the Cam oppressors and the rising Ancients. The need to play the (anti-) hero is tragic. At the end of the night they’re addicts to sex, blood and power, masking the pursuit of their next fix as part of some grand scheme or other.

Where did White Wolf “get it wrong” last time around? What are your least favorite parts of the IP?

Anything that smells of Fantasy. The attempt to create a deep mythology by linking the setting to Exalted was the worst choice ever. (BOOO BOOOOO) That was the last step in WoD’d death-march from being an artistic horror-IP to full on immature, escapist Urban Fantasy. The inability to deal with and integrate real-world events in the setting. If you can write about the Holocaust, you can write about 9/11. Fear is the death of creativity. The game was always best in the hands of storytellers who dared to place the story close to reality, often in their own cities, featuring real places and people.

And vice versa: what were your favorite games and concepts?

Too many to list. The books are shock full of profound insights, human stories and heretical interpretations of real-world mythology and subculture. My most collected and (through my and Adriana Skarpeds political game series Prosopopeia) played game is :neckbeard: Wraith :neckbeard: (FAITH RESTORED). A small selection of my favorite books include 1st ed Vampire, Fatal Addiction, Gilded Cage, Damnation City (for V:TR, but very useful for V:TM) and Love Beyond Death.

So Technocracy winning = tumblr :911: gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Seems reasonable.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
FYI, if you want to talk World of Darkness, we've got a thread for it with a lot more in-depth discussion.

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

Almost wish I didn't come back to this thread; holy poo poo, 2016 release - exciting stuff :swoon: If it turns out to be vampire then... well :hellyeah:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

A worthy price to pay :colbert:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why the Technocracy winning is a bad thing. It's not like tumblrinas are new, I ignored them before tumblr was a thing and I ignore them now.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

wiegieman posted:

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why the Technocracy winning is a bad thing. It's not like tumblrinas are new, I ignored them before tumblr was a thing and I ignore them now.

It isn't?

Every tradition has there own idea of what reality should look like.

I can watch streaming HD on my laptop from my back porch via 802.1n.
I can play games with thousands of people from across the globe in real-time.
I can work from home with a mobile phone and do my job via VPN, SSH, teleconferencing, and remote desktop.

If I want to make a rock levitate, I'll buy some super glue and some magnets.

Tumblr seems more like a Virtual Adept invention to me, anyway.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Aleph Null posted:

Tumblr seems more like a Virtual Adept invention to me, anyway.

:agreed: Given the way the Virtual Adept's interest were written they seemed to be the "everyone must be a superspecial snowflake represented by an avatar online."

Iteration X was more Military Industrial Complex with some bleeding into law enforcement.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I agree with you guys completely, but they're pitching the setting update as if everything bad about the Internet is the technocracy's fault and everything good about it is the glorious freed by their own genius traditions' doing.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

If I were those Project Vaulderie guys, I'd shoot White Wolf/Paradox a letter asking I could resume work on the remake. They seem a lot cooler than the CCP guys,.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Source

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

:swoon:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

:eyepop:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

drat, now I really want that shirt.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

quote:

Anything that smells of Fantasy. The attempt to create a deep mythology by linking the setting to Exalted was the worst choice ever. (BOOO BOOOOO) That was the last step in WoD’d death-march from being an artistic horror-IP to full on immature, escapist Urban Fantasy.

I gotta say, this is hilariously clueless and kind of misses the point of why the OWoD setting was so ridiculous as it went on. If they want it to be more close to being a dark version of reality maybe look at the metaplot or all the other wacky poo poo going on in the WoD that later writers added in.

Exalted had pretty much nothing to do with that. Hell, it's not like it's likely to be relevant unless you're running a "What if Exalted crossed over with the NWOD/OWOD setting." anyways.

Looking back, Bloodlines was really toned down compared to some of the stuff they could have crammed in there from the setting. So hopefully they get that when they do more games. Because another Vampire game like Bloodlines would be kick rear end.

Edit: I mean, seriously. With what i've read of the old fluff if they did a OWoD take on 9/11 back then it'd probably inevitably end up being described as "Ravnos secretly did 9/11." or something.

Exalted as a prequel to one of the WoD's is a nifty idea if done right though. If only for the fact that it'll get uber spergs shrieking about which setting would win in a fight between their supernatural creatures if you bring it up in most forums.

Plus, the idea of a bunch of pretentious monsters and super powered magical assholes unknowingly playing in the bones or leavings of beings or a time far bigger and more advanced than them is peak OWoD. I'm surprised they never went with the Exalted coming back as an ending scenario given that.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 5, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Well poo poo, time for a replay.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Can the anarchs get you a haven to sleep in if you tell lacroix and the tremere to piss off? Any mods add that?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

this is good

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Oberleutnant posted:

Can the anarchs get you a haven to sleep in if you tell lacroix and the tremere to piss off? Any mods add that?

I think you just keep the one in Santa Monica.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

:agreed: Given the way the Virtual Adept's interest were written they seemed to be the "everyone must be a superspecial snowflake represented by an avatar online."

Iteration X was more Military Industrial Complex with some bleeding into law enforcement.

Someone recently brought up the Apple vs FBI iPhone backdoor thing as a Virtual Adept vs It-X fight... Except Apple is also It-X.

Virtual Adepts all use Android. Duh. :smugbert:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Athenry posted:

I think you just keep the one in Santa Monica.

You do - which basically means if you have a reason to go back to your haven regularly (like Heather Poe) your life will suck.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Leonard Boyarski jumped ship yesterday from Blizzard, of all places. He's now employed by Obsidian Entertainment, home of Tim Cain (and for a brief while, Brian Mitsoda) and close associate with Paradox, full owner of all White Wolf properties. Wonder what could have enticed him over? I wonder I wonder

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Holey moley it's happening :supaburn:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Well, drat.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

:getin:

Is it too early to start speculating

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Shut up and take my money.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Obsidian already announced some lovely game called Tyranny that they're making for Paradox. Do they have the resources to have two games in production simultaneously?
I guess Bloodlines could be in very very eay preproduction maybe.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

In the past Obsidian has had three concurrent projects, give or take, at any given time. Right now they've got Tyranny, an unannounced game (codenamed Louisiana) that most assume is a Pillars of Eternity sequel, but all we know for sure is that it's not a Fallout game. Then they have staff maintaining and updating some MMOs for a Russian conglomerate.

It's always possible that Lenny Boy just thought a change of scenery was in order and decided to shack up with old buds apropos of nothing in particular. Tyranny will be out some time this year, so presumably it's in the production phase, and in that case there may be artists and the like from pre-prod who could work on concept stuff, but that's a stretch. In any case, the stars are aligning for the mother of all Fig pitches

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
And remember that Paradox got all the World of Darkness mmo assets so depending on the quality of work, we may be seeing a game sooner, rather than later.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The Paradox spokesman did say we'd first hear about digital WoD stuff this year. But you'd think they would be smart enough to recognize when a dog won't hunt.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
From what I understand, the digital assets from the WoD MMO shared a similar track to Duke Nukem Forever in that they were designed, redesigned, and then some inscrutable manager would look at it and literally go "make it more....pffbbbth" and walk off. They'd also mostly date from circa 2010.

Not sure if there's enough in there to actually leapfrog a game into active production. Plus they'd likely want to write a story of their own...and probably focus more on SP experience than some high maintenance/high risk MMO concept.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I remember hearing it had a character creation system that ended up being used in Eve online. I remember it looking pretty decent, but I never played Eve, so I have no clue how it looked in play, or if it mattered as I thought Eve was almost entirely about floating a spaceship around.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

remusclaw posted:

I remember hearing it had a character creation system that ended up being used in Eve online. I remember it looking pretty decent, but I never played Eve, so I have no clue how it looked in play, or if it mattered as I thought Eve was almost entirely about floating a spaceship around.

Yeah, "Walking in Stations" was their big push and they were factory farming the US office (which was also WW) to get it operational. It was....less than well received.

The character creator is really cool and detailed, I will give them that, but it's also pointless with respect to the rest of the game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Even if they did look dated it strikes me that slightly dated looking assets would be perfect for a game in the vein of VtM: Redemption, where the graphics are mostly there to not look offensive because the main campaign is half there to show off what the modding tools can do

It worked for Neverwinter Nights a couple of times

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
And it could just be level/texture/sound assets that are kept. 1020p textures have been the standard for a while now so they really only need to worry about engine/models/story.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
If you want to see what CCP were cooking up there are some vids. Nothing awfully far along though:

https://youtu.be/PxR-aC4yWs0

https://youtu.be/Tr_KVNrxtRI

I omit their cinematic trailers and the Q&A sessions from their fanfest because it was evidently all pie in the sky stuff.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

OAquinas posted:

From what I understand, the digital assets from the WoD MMO shared a similar track to Duke Nukem Forever in that they were designed, redesigned, and then some inscrutable manager would look at it and literally go "make it more....pffbbbth" and walk off. They'd also mostly date from circa 2010.

How can you refer to that without linking the wonderful Guardian article it came from?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
FWIW, Paradox is basically the perfect publisher for a developer of obsidian's track record.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I am happy to report that as of today Bloodlines is available from GOG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, "Walking in Stations" was their big push and they were factory farming the US office (which was also WW) to get it operational. It was....less than well received.

The character creator is really cool and detailed, I will give them that, but it's also pointless with respect to the rest of the game.

You can use it to walk around a spacehovel and look at pictures of your spaceships!

(afaik they never did get around to, y'know, opening your hovel's door and actually letting you walk into the station)

• Locked thread