Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Why would you need to cheese uchigatana dude? Does he do unpredictable things and I just got lucky, or is this yet another case of the boring-rear end straight sword R1 stunlock combo being the answer to literally everything in the early game? I just hung out at a distance whenever he'd wind up, rolled backward when he lunged, moved in for a combo.

He seems to have about a third more health but was otherwise much safer to fight than the new Balder knights, with their super-fast combos and that extremely hard-hitting wind-up slash attack that is strategically designed to gently caress with your dodge timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Does lightning scale better with faith than blessed? I finally got a blessed weapon and thought my high faith would finally not feel like fully wasted stats, but even at high faith it is still significantly worse than a similarly upgraded fire weapon.

Also, am I right in thinking that Aldrich's faithful is basically a bell covenant type thing? The covenant equip sounds like it by the description.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Maybe I just need to Git Gud, but is there a way to get more Estus before you fight Vordt? I can clear pretty much all of High Wall without incident save for the big chunk of Lothric Knight pain right before his door, and then I've got nothing left for him.

Also gently caress Lothric Knights. :hist101:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
gently caress SWAMPS

Also gently caress those goat-cat dudes who eat your face :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zaphod42 posted:

Because they're rad as hell?

They're rad as hell if you have a way to not be forced down to walking pace and fat-rolling speed, surrounded by bipedal enemies who inexplicably are not slowed down at all by the swamp. Which does not happen in Dark Souls 3.

strangemusic posted:

Maybe I just need to Git Gud, but is there a way to get more Estus before you fight Vordt? I can clear pretty much all of High Wall without incident save for the big chunk of Lothric Knight pain right before his door, and then I've got nothing left for him.

You should look around for shortcuts.

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

strangemusic posted:

You can get one estus shard before Vordt.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The secret to all poison levels to accept you will be poisoned

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

strangemusic posted:

You should learn the true art of Dark souls: Running past every enemy.

(also, open up a shortcut)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

strangemusic posted:

at least for me, I fought a grand total of 6 guys on the way to Vordt when I was trying to kill him

If you spawn at the High Wall, just run across those rooftops and ignore everything, go down the ladder, kill the two crossbow guys and the two sword guys, go down the long ladder, kill the guy that gets up from the ground & the guy that comes over the railing

I only say kill those last two guys because sometimes big fat guy isn't in a good spot and you have to wait

run past fat guy and take an immediate right

on the staircase is a crossbowman and to the left of the stairs is a hiding sword guy, right next to the hiding guy you can drop down and then run down stairs toward the boss past the spear guys

that was really badly written and im sorry but maybe it will help

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
in the slow parts of the swamp you can just equip something with Quickstep (list of those weapons: Bandit's Knife, Brigand Twindaggers, Dagger, Manikin Claws, Thrall Axe) and hop around like an insane person

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

strangemusic posted:

This is not a direct answer to your question, but you don't need to fight any Lothric knights before Vordt. Go up the tower elevator and unlock the shortcut to the first bonfire, then you can take that route and run past everyone except for a dog and axe-man you have to fight because of waiting on the elevator. You won't even aggro the patrolling knight in the area before the boss door if you hug the right wall and don't cross right in front of him, and if you keep your distance you can usually run past the two spear hollows before they get around to attacking.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Your Computer posted:

I'm very happy that the swamp and the catacombs are both straight up better and more fun than their previous iterations :3:

I understand why you'd like the Swamp, but I was surprised at how anonymous the Catacomb level felt. There's none of the interesting usage of space and variety of enemies from Dark Souls 1, and honestly, I'd say even Undead Crypt had more interesting gimmicks and a straight up better take on the concept. I mean, it's a fun Dark Souls level, it's just pretty anonymous overall.

But admittedly, I might be missing a better second half because I haven't beaten Wolnir yet.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Anyone comment on the great club?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LibbyM posted:

Does lightning scale better with faith than blessed? I finally got a blessed weapon and thought my high faith would finally not feel like fully wasted stats, but even at high faith it is still significantly worse than a similarly upgraded fire weapon.

Also, am I right in thinking that Aldrich's faithful is basically a bell covenant type thing? The covenant equip sounds like it by the description.

Blessed heals you constantly, 24/7. So yeah, naturally it isn't going to do NEARLY the damage that lightning does.

That's exactly how DeS worked too.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Only reason I don't like the catacombs is they remind me of chalice dungeons and also the insanoflipperbones.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

The scene by the suspension bridge is pretty neat but I thought the catacombs were a slog up until then. At some point I got sick of fighting skeletons and decided I'd just actually run past everything on my first trip through, until I found that second bonfire.

Zaphod42 posted:

Blessed heals you constantly, 24/7. So yeah, naturally it isn't going to do NEARLY the damage that lightning does.

I never actually did a faith build back in demon's, didn't know it healed you back then. Neat. The healing is minuscule though. I wish this game let you do a good faith scaling weapon sooner than whenever the gently caress it actually lets you do it. I have the lightning gem but not the coal.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 14, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

actionjackson posted:

Anyone comment on the great club?

i summoned an unarmored woman who beat the poo poo out of the abyss watchers using it. seemed solid

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Zaphod42 posted:

The rate of healing is super low though, def not worth it.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Andrast posted:

You should learn the true art of Dark souls: Running past every enemy.

(also, open up a shortcut)

Note: being a purple summon and kiting every enemy around into the host is great practice for this.

plot.lost
Aug 21, 2007

Cathair posted:

This is not a direct answer to your question, but you don't need to fight any Lothric knights before Vordt. Go up the tower elevator and unlock the shortcut to the first bonfire, then you can take that route and run past everyone except for a dog and axe-man you have to fight because of waiting on the elevator. You won't even aggro the patrolling knight in the area before the boss door if you hug the right wall and don't cross right in front of him, and if you keep your distance you can usually run past the two spear hollows before they get around to attacking.

If you send the elevator back up when you get to the bottom you won't have to wait.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

They're rad as hell if you have a way to not be forced down to walking pace and fat-rolling speed, surrounded by bipedal enemies who inexplicably are not slowed down at all by the swamp. Which does not happen in Dark Souls 3.

You should try maybe looking around instead of forcing the wrong direction. There's a natural path through the swamp that uses dry ground and shallow water, you don't have to do the wading through the slow part unless you're really stubborn or to grab a few items, and even then its a just a quick matter of grabbing the item and then going back to the path. You're doing it wrong. (Also just use a dagger to quickstep if you're really that much of a baby about it)

CJacobs posted:

You should look around for shortcuts.

Hahaha :ironicat:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

LibbyM posted:

I finally got a blessed weapon and thought my high faith would finally not feel like fully wasted stats, but even at high faith it is still significantly worse than a similarly upgraded fire weapon.

Don't have an answer for your lightning question, but as a fellow Faith guy the blessed weapon scaling really is a bummer. They probably wanted to reign in the damage to compensate for the HP recovery and went way too far.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
One thing that usually helps with shield enemies that will lunge after you as you run by them is to actually run straight at them and just go right around their sides, because when you are that close they think you actually want to engage and put their shields up for a second instead of doing that reaching attack that bites you in the rear end.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Has anyone tried using the Red Eye Orb while a Darkmoon Blade if anything of interest happens? If you get a Proof for killing whoever it matches you up with etc?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LibbyM posted:

I never actually did a faith build back in demon's, didn't know it healed you back then. Neat. The healing is minuscule though. I wish this game let you do a good faith scaling weapon sooner than whenever the gently caress it actually lets you do it. I have the lightning gem but not the coal.

Yeah its definitely miniscule healing. What would work is just leaving it vanilla and using a buff for faith damage, but sunlight blade is pretty deep in the game, unlike magic blade or flame blade. So faith is overall harder to build for damage than any other stat, until late in the game, yeah. You can always try doing flame weapon in the meantime?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

well, I guess since Final Fantasy IX got a release on Steam, I'll take up the Dark Sword and make a crappy Adelbert Steiner STR/VIT character

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lightning Stake is the sweetest miracle and works shockingly well in PvP

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I can't be the only one stupid enough to beat Yhorm without realising the storm ruler was there right

The fight took like 20 minutes. I was doing 90 damage hitting his leg/226 if I hit his arm

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TheQat posted:

i summoned an unarmored woman who beat the poo poo out of the abyss watchers using it. seemed solid

Assuming it gets S strength scaling eventually, would there no point in a heavy infusion?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Assuming it gets S strength scaling eventually, would there no point in a heavy infusion?

The letter is more like a range, so you can boost it within S

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Help Im Alive posted:

I can't be the only one stupid enough to beat Yhorm without realising the storm ruler was there right

The fight took like 20 minutes. I was doing 90 damage hitting his leg/226 if I hit his arm

I beat him as a sorcerer shooting him in the head.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

actionjackson posted:

fextralife wiki says that it never reaches S and reaches A only with Heavy. So I think it might be good to do that? I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to this stuff http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Great+Club

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just discovered two neat things

1) You can change between one-handing and two-handing while running now
2) If you use a heavy attack while running it'll immediately do a jump attack instead of a running attack

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Nuggan posted:

Charge up to him on the stairs so his back is to the cliff. When he winds up for an attack just kick him off. One of two kicks and he's done.

Edit: I've never even used the drat katana

I haven't gotten the kick to work. Just started out as the assassin. Is it because of the weapon I'm using? Forward + R1 does a quick retreat attack which doesn't break guard. Forward + R2 is just a strong jump attack.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

turtlecrunch posted:

The question is why you, a Souls fan, do not like this critical component of Souls games?

Because moving through sludge at the pace of a snail isn't very fun.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

RedTonic posted:

I haven't gotten the kick to work. Just started out as the assassin. Is it because of the weapon I'm using? Forward + R1 does a quick retreat attack which doesn't break guard. Forward + R2 is just a strong jump attack.

it's supposed to be a forward tap + r1 simultaneously i believe

in other words, forward for a split second at the same time you hit r1

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zaphod42 posted:

You should try maybe looking around instead of forcing the wrong direction. There's a natural path through the swamp that uses dry ground and shallow water, you don't have to do the wading through the slow part unless you're really stubborn or to grab a few items, and even then its a just a quick matter of grabbing the item and then going back to the path. You're doing it wrong. (Also just use a dagger to quickstep if you're really that much of a baby about it)

The path you are describing does not exist past the way to the first tower. There are spots of land that are dry that you can stand on, yes, but those also existed in Blighttown.

edit: And also, "you're doing it wrong" isn't even an applicable statement in this situation. No matter what you do, you cannot mitigate the effects of the muck besides not going in it, which is not possible. There's nothing to do wrong, unless you count the game designers doing the players wrong by putting in a lovely area like this for the third time

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 14, 2016

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

RedTonic posted:

Yeah poking swords and curved swords have a different move instead of the kick.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

RedTonic posted:

The Rapier class of weapons replaces the kick with the retreat, one of the reasons I don't use them as much actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So can you actually kill the dragon on the High Wall? I tried shooting a couple of crossbow bolts at it but it totally ignored them.