Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is there an ash in the swamp/cathedral that i've missed and need to go back for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

So I have a question. Is it actually possible to beat the second phase of the Abyss Watchers fight?

Because I don't think it is. If so though, how the hell do you even start to fight a guy with a fire sword and apparently infinite stamina who literally does not stop attacking ever?

That guy isn't even particularly aggressive as far as aggressive souls bosses go.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

GreatGreen posted:

So I have a question. Is it actually possible to beat the second phase of the Abyss Watchers fight?

Because I don't think it is. If so though, how the hell do you even start to fight a guy with a fire sword and apparently infinite stamina who literally does not stop attacking ever?

he has short breaks between combos, you have to hit him then. just get good at rolling really

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

voltron lion force posted:

Your souls are on your bloodstain where you died as a phantom.

oh so im guessing my previous bloodstain i had in the world is gone then?: (

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TheQat posted:

i'm not sure if you're being obtuse on purpose but at least a few people in this thread are saying it's the only really good magic in this game

I'm assuming the tradeoff is that they made the requirements real stupid in exchange for how useful it is in combat, then.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

GreatGreen posted:

try Skill and Backstab

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

If that is making you feel angry, stop now... because honey you have a big storm coming.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Tabletops posted:

oh so im guessing my previous bloodstain i had in the world is gone then?: (

Yeah same bloodstain rules apply. Its really the main punishment for invading, if you lose you may have to head back through the level to get your stuff.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm finding pyromancy to be good so far but I'm still not seeing any practical reason to use any offensive pyromancy other than fire orb. Cause it does good damage and has a better casting animation than all the other stuff I've tried. Maybe this fancy dark tome gives a good spell but the teacher won't take it and I have no clue who else would. All the pyromancies I've actually had to raise my stats to use have been worthless.

Its weird to think that I'm a pyromancer but I'm basically only using flame weapon and fire orb, with the occasional session of profuse sweating.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

GreatGreen posted:

get

good

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

GreatGreen posted:

try co-operation...

also does the watch dogs covenant do anything? i alternated between that and the blue cops for a 5 hour play session and got gently caress-all for summons. is pvp not happening unless i am personally invading? i loving know there's some 3v1 bullshit waiting for me in that situation! how is it that i can invade into a pile of white phantoms, but the actual pvp covenants don't seem to do poo poo?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

GreatGreen posted:

Engage in jolly cooperation, duh.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Speedball posted:

This goddamn tree is kicking my rear end. Why are you fireproof, you stupid tree?!

In old school parlance:

Destroy weakpoints for extreme damage.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

GreatGreen posted:

Serious Answer

Treat him like Fume Knight or Lady Maria

Do not block, get your roll to 30%. Roll under the big swing, hit him once or MAYBE twice if there is a big window, get ready to roll dodge again

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Actual advice on AW: learn his attacks and wait for him to leave an opening after dodging them. He's pretty relentless so trying to attack mid combo will get you wrecked. Also he can still be backstabbed and some of his attacks leave him vulnerable to it. Pay attention to the flame marks he leaves behind when dodging cause you'll feel stupid avoiding his sword only to get burned.

That's how I beat him shieldless. Dunno how it works out with one.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Well that was fun, just wasted 20 minutes of two people's time in PvP and eventually killed the phantom helper, prompting the host to apparently disconnect his internet seeing as I lost connection to them seconds afterwards.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Hmm. I beat the crystal sage, but I still see summon signs, so there's probably another boss in the area.

I guess I'll have to go explore the building... with the crazy jesus monsters... and the 'old friends'... and those two guys with great weapons... Hmmm.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mmmmm...

Hmmm....

Oh ho!

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Is this blue Lothric Knight guaranteed to drop something? I got three separate pieces of Lothric Knight gear off of him so far, after killing him 3 times
Not sure about that. He supposedly has a chance to drop a Refined Gem though, which is pretty useful.

GreatGreen posted:

Bait out the charge attack (he has two though, and one has a followup of sorts, but they both have an obvious tell), roll to the side of it and do a quick stab. Rinse and repeat.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Aristocrat's Mask is p. spoopy

It also has wonderful cloth physics. The scythe is rear end though, I pumped all my Twinkling Titanite into it and it's still slower+weaker than my dumb straight sword from the High Wall of Lothric :sigh:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Jose posted:

is there an ash in the swamp/cathedral that i've missed and need to go back for?

There is an ash behind an illusory wall in the Wolf Covenant tower that unlocks Titanite Shards for sale, which is a pretty big deal.

The swamp is also where a bunch of good spellcaster gear is. Crown of Dusk, 2 Scrolls, and Lingering Dragoncrest Ring so far, probably more tucked away. It seems like Crucifixion Forest and Farron Swamp are where a ton of the good caster gear is located.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Exodee posted:

Not sure about that. He supposedly has a chance to drop a Refined Gem though, which is pretty useful.

He's guaranteed to drop the Refined Gem the first time you kill him, but after that he doesn't drop any more of them.

I've killed him probably 100+ times and he's never dropped a second one, nor have I found any evidence online for Refined Gems dropping from anything other than really late game enemies (gently caress you, From. I want to infuse :()

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I just did it after spending about 2 hours straight on it, haha. My advice: just roll away constantly until you feel like you've seen all his attacks and combos and remember them. A tip: when he does his long combo that ends in a summersault a la Artorias, if you can roll into it instead of away, you should have no problem finding the time for a few hits!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ok, I've just got to farron swamp so I've not missed anything yet

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Your Computer posted:

The Aristocrat's Mask is p. spoopy

It also has wonderful cloth physics. The scythe is rear end though, I pumped all my Twinkling Titanite into it and it's still slower+weaker than my dumb straight sword from the High Wall of Lothric :sigh:

Hey, fashion souls extends to weapons too

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a ring that boosts casting speed in this game, and if so can you get it before Ice Town? Afraid I might of missed it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
One thing that seems to help people who have trouble with dueler bosses like AWp2 is that you can't constantly avoid attacks by positioning only. Like don't constantly roll backwards as they are initiating the attack to make sure you are completely out of its range, because then you won't be close enough to punish them before they start a new attack. Roll INTO the attacks using your iframes, then use the dueler's recovery period to bite them a couple times. Bloodborne will teach you to be good at this if you aren't already.

Obviously it's easier said than done because bosses are scary but don't let their giant fire sticks intimidate you.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 14, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there a ring that boosts casting speed in this game, and if so can you get it before Ice Town? Afraid I might of missed it.

On the bottom floor of the ruins before the Crystal Sage, the floor is shallow water, you can drop through a hole in the final room before the boss or find a way to it from the other side of the ruins.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Are there any weapons outside of the rapier and daggers that come with a critical modifier to them?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Your Computer posted:

He's guaranteed to drop the Refined Gem the first time you kill him, but after that he doesn't drop any more of them.

I've killed him probably 100+ times and he's never dropped a second one, nor have I found any evidence online for Refined Gems dropping from anything other than really late game enemies (gently caress you, From. I want to infuse :()
Ahh drat, I was planning to try and farm him myself, so thanks for the warning. Why are Sharp/Refined gems so rare though? Especially compared to Heavy ones. :raise:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Is there a ninja flip ring? Probably not, but I think it'd make a cool combo with the quickstep axe.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Speaking of old friends, find the tallest tower in Farron's Keep

Its my buddy! :allears:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I've found the first and the last extinguished brazier in Swamp Keep, where's the middle one at? It's so loving huge

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

how do i see poise damage or is that stability for some reason?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CJacobs posted:

Why did pyromancy get nerfed into the ground? Like the only thing it had going for it was that it had no stat reqs and was souls-only. Now it's borderline not worth going into.

When you die as an invader, you leave a bloodstain in your own world where you died in theirs.

Pyromancy is really good though? Lots of stuff is weak to fire. I blew off 65% of Aldritchs health bar before he could phase switch :shrug:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has anyone else been using the Great Machete/does it also feel super broken to you? I haven't been trying out other weapons/magic though so I don't really have anything to compare it to. I just upgraded to Yhorm's Great Machete which I guess is just the same thing but stronger + I love it

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh yeah, in the Undead Settlement behind a house there's one of those cages filled with arms and legs things that you can talk to, can you do anything with that or is it just there to spout nonsense?

Did you kill Treenuts guy? If so yeah can't do anything for a while.

If you didn't kill or go to him, you go a bit further down and there's a dude with a cage spawn and you are suppose to get transported to the moundmaker covenant

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Stormgale posted:

I think I might have just gotten it, you need to kill 3 lords or cinder or do the skip to do dancer early, then kill consumed king for the gesture and use it next to the meditating dragon in the jail

yea i've been there but do you have a specific location of where the ash is?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Internet Kraken posted:

Yep! Luckily getting it will take you all of 10 seconds. Start at the Crystal Sage bonfire. Run back down into that room full of enemies. On the left hand side, there is a hole in the floor. Drop down it and the Sage Ring is there. There's also a Crucifixion Victim down there that might try to ambush you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes and Yes.

Mazerunner posted:

Is there a ninja flip ring? Probably not, but I think it'd make a cool combo with the quickstep axe.

Pretty sure the invisible dodge ring replaces the ninja flip ring, like it did in DS2.